Home

Did this Highway study go anywhere?

Posted By: Canvasback2

Did this Highway study go anywhere? - 02/21/22 02:27 PM

Did they start this , or give up on it ?

https://dot.alaska.gov/nreg/westernaccess/documents/corridor_staging_alternatives_report.pdf
Posted By: Oh Snap

Re: Did this Highway study go anywhere? - 02/21/22 04:35 PM

[Linked Image]

This section of road, Manley to Yukon River, has been put in since that study. Needs a bridge across the Yukon to continue on.
Posted By: alaska viking

Re: Did this Highway study go anywhere? - 02/21/22 05:50 PM

Is there a boat ramp at the terminus?

Re: Did this Highway study go anywhere? - 02/21/22 06:10 PM

I think there is but haven’t been there yet. I googled earth it and looks like there is either a parking area or someone has a property there with stuff in a yard.
Posted By: broncoformudv

Re: Did this Highway study go anywhere? - 02/22/22 06:41 PM

Wow I had no idea a road was put in from Manley
Posted By: nooksack

Re: Did this Highway study go anywhere? - 02/22/22 07:16 PM

There is a launch, parking is native land. So I believe you pay a trespass fee or park miles down the road.
I’d rather dump my boat over the bank at Manley and add a few miles and squaw crossing.
Posted By: broncoformudv

Re: Did this Highway study go anywhere? - 02/22/22 08:30 PM

https://dot.alaska.gov/nreg/tanana/

Re: Did this Highway study go anywhere? - 02/22/22 09:52 PM

Looks like another road to nowhere.
Posted By: tree

Re: Did this Highway study go anywhere? - 02/23/22 03:24 PM

AV, does your comment about boat launch have anything to do with the road extension on Kupreanof?

Re: Did this Highway study go anywhere? - 02/23/22 03:56 PM

No. However, after reading the article from the link above, it seems to have been a poorly thought out project that only seasonally "might" benefit a few. Had the project provided real river access, with parking and launch facilities, it might have been a little more justifiable.

Re: Did this Highway study go anywhere? - 02/23/22 05:02 PM

To get things started with limited funds our state does projects in phases. They build buildings and heat them and sometimes set vacant until funds to furnish and then get used. I think that the Tofty extension is just that. Right of way got established and a road built with limited funds. As more funding becomes available and the goal to finally end up in Nome the road will continue. A bridge would be the next stage. So for now a road to nowhere is added to the list already in the interior!
Posted By: tree

Re: Did this Highway study go anywhere? - 02/23/22 05:51 PM

AV thanks. My son worked on a project on Kup this last year where they linked a bunch of isolated logging roads, built new road and put a launch ramp at the end. I hadn't heard anything about it. I can't understand how DOT can justify a project like that when Kake only has about 500 population.
Posted By: CaseXX

Re: Did this Highway study go anywhere? - 03/29/22 06:57 PM

Maybe I can help your understanding, this is just a possibility. Most state and federal road monies come from the fed. Govt. 80%, the remaining from local sources. That money MUST be spent for the intended purpose or it MUST be returned to the fed. So rather than return the money they used it for intended purposes to help local economy. Just a possibility. And just the opinion of a way down here guy. Hope I helped, and hope I'm correct in my thinking.

I'm editing to add, this is true in the lower 48. I'm making an assumption that it holds true in AK.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums