Home

Ammo can heater??

Posted By: Grubstake

Ammo can heater?? - 04/09/19 02:06 AM

I seem to recall reading on here way back about a heater made from an ammo can used to warm an airplane engine. Seems like it may be a good way to get my 4 stroke Viking started in an emergency. Anyone know about these?
Posted By: white17

Re: Ammo can heater?? - 04/09/19 03:44 AM

I don't remember that thread but I would suggest that a Northern Companion is much safer and more efficient.

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/eppages/ncpreheater.php

http://www.fadodge.com/821-2/
Posted By: Rusty Newhouse

Re: Ammo can heater?? - 04/09/19 05:52 PM

I know a few guys that trap with four strokes. They usually keep a small generator and electric heater at their cabin to preheat it.
Back when I used Elans I'd usually preheat them with a one burner Coleman and some 6" diameter stovepipe and an elbow.
This method doesn't work so well if the engine is mounted down low in the frame, the heat rises above it.
The only time I've used a wood stove to heat up a machine was when I drug the machine into the cabin.

Re: Ammo can heater?? - 04/09/19 09:56 PM

I have no idea how well the Viking will start , maybe it won’t be an issue. I think a booster pack is on order and possibly a winch.
Posted By: woodelf

Re: Ammo can heater?? - 04/10/19 01:01 AM

https://youtu.be/_5bK_ivwXs4
Posted By: Jacks

Re: Ammo can heater?? - 04/10/19 01:43 AM

Grubstake

I would suggest a set of leads off the battery where u can plug into the booster pack. Those battery’s are hard to get at with those sleds. I did this on mine and makes the process easy to jump
Posted By: alaska viking

Re: Ammo can heater?? - 04/10/19 01:46 AM

I think you might have confused the W-17 Coleman gas container outhouse heater with this. Eco-friendly, and everything. It is the way, but I digress.....

Re: Ammo can heater?? - 04/10/19 01:59 AM

You may be right..... I know white17 invented fire so I thought he would have more insight about the ammo can heater.

Everything is hard to get at on the Viking.
Posted By: white17

Re: Ammo can heater?? - 04/10/19 03:24 AM

Originally Posted by alaska viking
I think you might have confused the W-17 Coleman gas container outhouse heater with this. Eco-friendly, and everything. It is the way, but I digress.....

It could be a banning offense to bad-mouth the Tee-Pee burner
Posted By: otterman

Re: Ammo can heater?? - 04/10/19 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by white17
Originally Posted by alaska viking

It could be a banning offense to bad-mouth the Tee-Pee burner

It’s been two yrs give him this one for his good behavior smile
Posted By: Rusty Newhouse

Re: Ammo can heater?? - 04/10/19 05:21 PM

Grubstake
You're right, the booster pack would be a good item to have with you on a 4 stroke.
Seems to me that if the manufactures had the desire they could come up with a system to hand crank those 4 strokes.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Ammo can heater?? - 04/10/19 06:43 PM

I had an Arctic Cat 4 stroke. The dealer warned me that if I didn't warm the motor for 15 minutes before taking off It would hurt the motor. I installed a command start, which works off the battery, and started the machine 15 minutes before the trail head from the cab of the truck or at a cabin. Never did have a problem! I had 2 different ski doo 4 strokes and would stop 1/3 of the way to trail head and while driving let it idle for a couple miles, that worked!

Re: Ammo can heater?? - 04/10/19 07:13 PM

That’s the one I was thinking of woodelf , thanks!

You can hand start it if you’re tough enough. I’ve heard of guys wrapping a tow strap on the clutch and pulling it with another sled.
Posted By: alaska viking

Re: Ammo can heater?? - 04/11/19 12:22 AM

Thanks, otter. I try, but Ken has a short fuse, you know.... laugh
© 2024 Trapperman Forums