Home

Grandsons first wolverine

Posted By: otterman

Grandsons first wolverine - 02/17/19 01:50 AM

I have a spot I have had a big bait pile snare set for fox and coyotes for over 20 yrs I set it almost every year and it is good for 5-10 critters a year. This year I figured with it's good success rate it would be a good one to let the 8 year old Grandson call his. I took him out placed bait went back a few days later and let him and his 5 yr old cousin tell me where we were going to hang the snares. Cousin left the next day and the place became his alone. He has checked it regularly since it was set and I go along to keep him out of trouble as its a tad to far for him to go alone and he is only 8. He drives his little 340 and leads the way. Today he had nothing short of a miracle catch. I have never seen a wolverine track within miles of this place. He also got two fox at the same stop but the wolverine dinned on one prior to getting caught in the snare. this snare was attached to a 2 inch pole approximately 5 feet long it got chewed in half
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: mad_mike

Re: Grandsons first wolverine - 02/17/19 01:57 AM

That is awesome! I have found out over the years that good luck follows those kids on the trapline.
A day that you both will remember!
Posted By: Sharon

Re: Grandsons first wolverine - 02/17/19 01:59 AM

Oh my what a beauty !

I like the darker ones, he must be exuberant ! I am for him too grin

Was a good set up to get him !

It looks as big as he is !

He is off to a grand start with you so proud of him too. And he's doing it all SAFE and under your common sense instructions and care .

Now he has to decide what he wants to do with him !

Tell him the Tman Tribe says well done , Todd !
Posted By: star flakes

Re: Grandsons first wolverine - 02/17/19 02:10 AM

May he always have that joy and exuberance with each catch that shows in his face today. Thank you for sharing.
Posted By: FL cracker in AK

Re: Grandsons first wolverine - 02/17/19 02:21 AM

Way to go!
Posted By: alaska viking

Re: Grandsons first wolverine - 02/17/19 02:25 AM

Good job, otter. He is now a man!

Re: Grandsons first wolverine - 02/17/19 02:28 AM

Originally Posted by Sharon
Oh my what a beauty !

Sharon he says thank you. We were still at the set and he was saying now with the one you got Thursday Grandma can make lots of cool stuff but can I have the skull smile Yupik tradition is you give the first one away he gives it to grandma I didn't tell him she will not be using it till time comes for him to need a new hat until then it will hang on the wall
Posted By: trappingthomas

Re: Grandsons first wolverine - 02/17/19 02:56 AM

Awesome post!
Posted By: HFT AK

Re: Grandsons first wolverine - 02/17/19 03:42 AM

Way to go otterman! I bet you were one proud grand daddy and I bet that boy was happy as heck! I bet he is hooked now and you got yourself a new partner smile
Posted By: Sharon

Re: Grandsons first wolverine - 02/17/19 03:42 AM

Originally Posted by otterman
Originally Posted by Sharon
Oh my what a beauty !

Sharon he says thank you. We were still at the set and he was saying now with the one you got Thursday Grandma can make lots of cool stuff but can I have the skull smile Yupik tradition is you give the first one away he gives it to grandma I didn't tell him she will not be using it till time comes for him to need a new hat until then it will hang on the wall

How perfect and lovely in life experienced ! The complete circle of life shared and loved.....tis a thing of beauty .
Posted By: Bushwhack Jack

Re: Grandsons first wolverine - 02/17/19 04:05 AM

That's so awesome otterman! I can't believe that little fox snare and those little branches held that wolverine! Your grandson got blessed indeed.

Re: Grandsons first wolverine - 02/17/19 04:18 AM

Does he help grandpa turn and board it also?
Posted By: Chickenminer

Re: Grandsons first wolverine - 02/17/19 05:27 AM

Very cool .... I'll bet he was beyond excited !
Posted By: smalltimetrapper

Re: Grandsons first wolverine - 02/17/19 05:38 AM

Wow, that is super cool, good for him! Definitely a memorable day!

Re: Grandsons first wolverine - 02/17/19 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by mad_mike

he likes to skin has a hard time with push pins but will skin the fox for sure and maybe help with the wolverine
Posted By: Osky

Re: Grandsons first wolverine - 02/17/19 03:45 PM

That's terrific! Congratulations to you both.

Osky
Posted By: Boco

Re: Grandsons first wolverine - 02/17/19 04:12 PM

That's great,the little guy must be pumped.
Posted By: white17

Re: Grandsons first wolverine - 02/17/19 05:34 PM

That's great Todd !! Congrats to both of you! He sure wound up that snare !!
Posted By: Wolverine Hunter

Re: Grandsons first wolverine - 02/17/19 06:27 PM

That is so cool. When I was that age, maybe a little older - I was in MN reading Fur, Fish and Game and dreaming about such a thing. Back home, I take out my nephews, and I let them choose where to put a set and catch a beaver or a coyote. It is awesome to teach and have a new generation of trappers coming up who have a zeal for this sport. Then, when WE are old geezers, maybe they can take us along on their lines - just for fun!

You can just see the joy and the excitement and the pride in his eyes.

So what are you going to do with that first wolverine?

I got my first the other day. Mine is going to be a full body mount for our home.

Your young man has me beat by over 4 decades. Tell him that and see what he says grin
Posted By: Aknative

Re: Grandsons first wolverine - 02/17/19 06:44 PM

Woo hoo!

Re: Grandsons first wolverine - 02/17/19 08:29 PM

WH the fur will be tanned he wants the skull done grandma will save the fur to make something special for him that will last a lifetine probably a hat when his head stops growing he will also sell the claws and baculum to make a little money for spring break in Anchorage
Posted By: Trap4fur

Re: Grandsons first wolverine - 02/17/19 09:02 PM

Rite on little man Awsome job grandpa for passing it along keep up the good work boys.
Posted By: Wolverine Hunter

Re: Grandsons first wolverine - 02/17/19 11:58 PM

WH the fur will be tanned he wants the skull done grandma will save the fur to make something special for him that will last a lifetine probably a hat when his head stops growing he will also sell the claws and baculum to make a little money for spring break in Anchorage

Maybe I'm naive - but selling the baculum? I wasn't aware but you have me interested...

My wife has one from a great big walrus. She threatens to beat me with it from time to time grin

Re: Grandsons first wolverine - 02/18/19 02:28 AM

WH they use em for various things like swizzle sticks in drinks I usually get $5 or $10 for them depending on the buyer thats some good money for a kid his age

Re: Grandsons first wolverine - 02/18/19 04:06 AM

Originally Posted by mad_mike

he likes to skin has a hard time with push pins but will skin the fox for sure and maybe help with the wolverine

Good stuff.
Posted By: Allan Minear

Re: Grandsons first wolverine - 02/19/19 11:30 AM

Congratulations to both of you !!!! One can feel the pride in your words I'm hoping to be able to bring one of my grandsons out on my snare line so we can experience this as well thank you for sharing this with us !
Stay Safe out there and keep up the good work !!!
Allan
Posted By: 160user

Re: Grandsons first wolverine - 02/19/19 03:06 PM

Very well done! I am not sure WHY I saw this and forgive me if I am wrong but it appears that the stop or ferrule on the 3 picture is on the wrong end of the swivel. I use Rally Hess snares like the one posted in your picture but on mine the stop is on the end that attaches to the tree. Yours appears to be backwards and I am wondering if that contributed to the twisting of the cable. Anyway, enough rambling. That kid looks as proud as a peacock!
Posted By: Ryan McLeod

Re: Grandsons first wolverine - 02/19/19 04:07 PM

Congrats to the young man on his first wolverine.
Posted By: Super Wide

Re: Grandsons first wolverine - 02/19/19 04:36 PM

Fantastic, way to go!!! Great job, to the both of you!

Re: Grandsons first wolverine - 02/19/19 05:24 PM

160 User I looked at the picture and thought what the heck walked out to the shop and looked at the remains of the snare and you are absolutely correct All I can say is I must have brain farted and never caught it looked through a bunch I had in the shop waiting to be used and no others were upside down guess I shouldn’t be worried it seems to have done the job smile
Posted By: takotna

Re: Grandsons first wolverine - 02/19/19 06:22 PM

That's just cool Todd, congrats to the young trapper man!!
© 2024 Trapperman Forums