Home

Snaring martens...

Posted By: MP85

Snaring martens... - 09/02/18 03:47 AM

Hi!
So I trap by snowshoes an weight has been an issue for me, slowing me down too much. I would like to try catching martens with snares, but first I need information. Which wire? What do you do for lock? Do you set the snare on a pole? ...
Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks!
Posted By: star flakes

Re: Snaring martens... - 09/02/18 04:48 AM

I apologize if I am not supposed to post links from another trapping site, but the page there sums up your questions in multiple snares, bait placement, which would include lure.
I would only add one thing from the marten trappers in the northwestern US, is if you have a problem with trap weight, then maybe preposition your traps before season. In the snowy regions you would find these slant poles clear up in trees, because the snow gets deep there. It just kept things secure. I hope something in this helps.

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/showthread.php/6762-Snared-marten-pics

Posted By: white17

Re: Snaring martens... - 09/02/18 06:36 PM

I have done it but didn't like the results. It left snare marks in the hair. Maybe a different cable would give different results
Posted By: Dirt

Re: Snaring martens... - 09/02/18 06:59 PM

Well, here I reduce my weight by trapping with #0 longsprings or 110 bodygrips. Somehow I suspect these are not an option for you. What is the time to irreversible unconsciousness for a snared marten is what I wonder? Schadenfreude.
Posted By: alaska viking

Re: Snaring martens... - 09/02/18 09:35 PM

Conibears and flower pots.
Posted By: waggler

Re: Snaring martens... - 09/03/18 07:00 AM

I've seen a couple of marten that were caught on a running pole with snares. Result; fur damage to some degree. I don't think there is anyway getting around fur damage when using snares on marten.
Posted By: Newt

Re: Snaring martens... - 09/07/18 06:54 PM

I can see that.
Snares mine.no problems.
But Martin has softer guard hair
Posted By: Boco

Re: Snaring martens... - 09/07/18 09:15 PM

This is a snared fisher(lynx snare).You can see the dmgd fur on the neck.You will get the same type dmg with snared marten.
Not recommended.
Posted By: MP85

Re: Snaring martens... - 09/18/18 02:29 AM

Well I guess I'll keep on using the 120s... I'm certainly not interested on having damaged fur. Pole sets will be my friends!
Thanks everybody for sharing with me!
© 2024 Trapperman Forums