Home

Anyone use Sleepy Creek Longsprings?

Posted By: Wyoming

Anyone use Sleepy Creek Longsprings? - 12/21/17 11:26 AM

Hey all, I am in the market for a few dozen new traps and am looking at the sleepy creek no 1 long springs... I prefer longsprings as for me they are much easier to set when it is bitter cold out with mittens on, and the last couple coilsprings I set appeared to have frozen up. It was odd, I had tripped pans, but jaws laid flat...which was strange, because once I bumped it and disturbed the iced springs or whatever the cause they snapped closed violently. That and it feels like the pan tensions are set too tight or just rusty. There is some work to do.

I am also dealing with a batch of longspring 1.5's doing that, and the springs appear to be installed upside down...the spring holes arent smoothly clearing the frame and jaw hinge points...used traps from someone who may or may not have known what they were doing...for 3 bucks apiece I guess I should expect them to need some work.

Maybe I just need to prep/clean them up, but it is a bit of a hassle to fuss with at the moment especially when time is limited.

Anyone have some input on the sleepy creeks? Good, bad, or different? I thought about bridgers too, but would like to go with north american made if possible.

Any suggestions solutions you may have for my other traps would be appreciated too. Hope everyone's season is going well!
Posted By: luvcanids

Re: Anyone use Sleepy Creek Longsprings? - 12/21/17 01:44 PM

Never used anything smaller the 3s but they have been good dbls.
Posted By: Team V

Re: Anyone use Sleepy Creek Longsprings? - 12/21/17 03:08 PM

I got 2 dozen this year and so far really like them seem to be a well built trap .
Posted By: yukon254

Re: Anyone use Sleepy Creek Longsprings? - 12/21/17 03:30 PM

I got 6 of their 4.5 as a gift. Haven't caught anything in them yet but they are a skookum built trap.
Posted By: Ryan McLeod

Re: Anyone use Sleepy Creek Longsprings? - 12/21/17 05:22 PM

I use the 1.5 for rats in the spring. I like them. Used them for Fox too a few times and have had them hold lynx too.

Re: Anyone use Sleepy Creek Longsprings? - 12/22/17 12:56 AM

Thanks for the input on these, I am thinking I will order some up!
Posted By: Bruce T

Re: Anyone use Sleepy Creek Longsprings? - 12/22/17 01:33 AM

I really like the sleepy creek #1 longspring stoploss traps
Posted By: EurekaTrapper

Re: Anyone use Sleepy Creek Longsprings? - 12/22/17 04:15 AM

I like the Sleepy Creek #1 long springs. I haven't had any problems with them.
Posted By: mad_mike

Re: Anyone use Sleepy Creek Longsprings? - 12/22/17 04:30 AM

Picked up a dozen of then this year. They seam to be good traps.
Posted By: scott k

Re: Anyone use Sleepy Creek Longsprings? - 12/23/17 05:39 PM

I’ve got Sleepy Creek 4& 4 1/2. Use both on beaver, both work and bed great. Only down fall is you need a setter for the 4 1/2.
Posted By: Blkpwda

Re: Anyone use Sleepy Creek Longsprings? - 12/23/17 06:22 PM

I have a 4.5 regular jaw that I like for beaver. Extremely rugged and well built.
Posted By: gkempf

Re: Anyone use Sleepy Creek Longsprings? - 12/24/17 01:21 AM

The #3 dls are my go to coyote traps. Jaws need to be laminated as foot damage is a little rough if they aren’t.

Re: Anyone use Sleepy Creek Longsprings? - 12/25/17 08:05 AM

Well, I went ahead and ordered up a few, thanks for your opinions. Its kinda tough when you can't lay hands on them before buying. I sure don't mind spending a few more $ for a quality product.

I have 12 or 16 old victor longsprings that are great traps for their age, but are starting to have more issues with triggers/dogs. They were water traps in their previous life I think, so they have quite a bit of deep corrosion. They are needing more work than I want to give them lately.

Thanks, and Merry Christmas to all!
Posted By: Bruce T

Re: Anyone use Sleepy Creek Longsprings? - 12/25/17 06:03 PM

Merry Christmas

Re: Anyone use Sleepy Creek Longsprings? - 01/04/18 07:23 PM

Just as an update, I got those traps in, and am very pleased with them. Nice thick frames for a number 1, I prefer the design to other traps I have, and will be a repeat customer.
Posted By: bairdi

Re: Anyone use Sleepy Creek Longsprings? - 01/05/18 05:54 PM

I have a few of their #4 offset DLS. They are a strong really well made trap. I really like them for cats.
Posted By: The Spruce

Re: Anyone use Sleepy Creek Longsprings? - 01/05/18 08:34 PM

I like them, but they are not worth the $ in my opinion (speaking of the 1 1/2's). Good heavy trap, but always require work before being used, which is disappointing with there cost.
Once tuned up though, they are a superior rat trap. I buy 1/ 1/2 coils now and weaken the springs. You can buy 2 coils for the price of one sleepy, and little if and tuning required (other than a couple quick passes with the plumbers torch to weaken the springs).

Happy trapping!
© 2024 Trapperman Forums