Home

Team V

Posted By: Team V

Team V - 01/16/17 03:47 PM

Just got back from line did over 100 miles of some of the worst snow drifts I have had in awhile and I will tell you I love trapping on a mountain snow go . The days of trapping on the 60 hp utility snow go days are over for me . There were spots well over 4 feet deep and 100 yard long all I had to do was grab a hand full of throttle and go wile towing a sled .

With the the handle bar riser ,tall seat, tall windshield and forward riding position my back feels good to day . I ran in to some water on trip no problem zipped over it . Not saying it is for every one but we're I trap it works good for me . The fun factor is also there I had a blast and love the power here is a few pics i was running short on time so did not take to many . The last pic I call party in a sled . The black wolf was held by less then a toe it has caught in the jaws between the leaver and the offset .

Posted By: Ryan McLeod

Re: Team V - 01/16/17 04:06 PM

Nice pictures!
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Team V - 01/16/17 04:14 PM

Way to go, Team V
Posted By: yukon254

Re: Team V - 01/16/17 05:56 PM

Way to go Team V, glad that sled is working out for you. Like that picture with the big black in the background!
Posted By: Osky

Re: Team V - 01/16/17 11:49 PM

That's terrific!

Osky
Posted By: That Fool

Re: Team V - 01/17/17 12:02 AM

awesome pics! more snow than use, getting itchy to ride around more parts of the country here, no one got wolves yet this year. Waiting to get deep enough snow to not worry about logs or tundra wrecking our rigs.
Posted By: HFT AK

Re: Team V - 01/17/17 01:04 AM

That is a awesome pic!!! Congrats!
Posted By: T. Meyer

Re: Team V - 01/17/17 01:45 AM

Congrats Team V! Good to see he didn't make a break for it while you were taking the pic and pop that toe off. I've had both a red fox and a lynx do that to me before, all I had to show for it was a couple of pics. Good to hear your machine is working out so well!

Re: Team V - 01/17/17 01:59 AM

Me and my partner always stop about 30 yards back and put a set of cross hairs on them then the other goes to investigat if caught bad they drop . As soon as I saw it was bad I yelled and he dropped .

Re: Team V - 01/17/17 05:13 AM

That's a good plan! I'm running the line alone most of the time, so I now make sure I always have my rifle ready just encase it happens again.
Posted By: takotna

Re: Team V - 01/17/17 08:09 PM

Way to go team v!
Posted By: otterman

Re: Team V - 01/17/17 08:17 PM

good job don't you love it when the big dogs want a ride home in your sled smile
Posted By: AKHowler

Re: Team V - 01/19/17 10:17 PM

Way to go John, nice work on the dogs. Put your skinning apron to work and love it. Thanks a lot.
Posted By: martentrapper

Re: Team V - 01/20/17 05:36 AM

Awesome V! What caliber do you use to drop the poorly caught ones?
mt

Re: Team V - 01/20/17 02:49 PM

When we arrived at that one my partner was close enough to use his pmr30 but we pack 223 with us if needed . We both have pmr30 so we have 60 rounds of 22 mag on hand .
Posted By: AK TRAPR

Re: Team V - 01/21/17 03:10 AM

Thanks for the pics i am the guy that talked to you about trapping in sentry hardware last summer .good job

Re: Team V - 01/21/17 03:29 AM

What is a pmr30 TeamV ? Im looking for a new trapline gun

Re: Team V - 01/21/17 03:56 AM

Thanks AK TRAPR small world .

Yukon ,a pmr30 is a 22 mag semi automatic hand gun with a 30 rd mag all kinds of fun . Made by kaltec pretty accurate
Posted By: Sonny N

Re: Team V - 01/21/17 06:37 AM

Originally Posted By: yukon254
What is a pmr30 TeamV ? Im looking for a new trapline gun

Good gun I plan on getting. Where'd you find yours team v? I went looking but nobody I went to stocked them in anchorage.

Re: Team V - 01/21/17 06:52 AM

Sportsmen warehouse just have to watch they go quick . I got mine on sale for $320 last Christmas my partner bought his on gun broker and payed a lot more .
Posted By: piperniner

Re: Team V - 01/21/17 06:54 AM

Need to move back to the states to own one.

It is common knowledge that Keltec is less than candid in regards to numbers produced. Good luck finding one, unless you want to pay inflated prices - such as found on Gunbroker and other sites.
Posted By: That Fool

Re: Team V - 01/23/17 05:59 PM

I have been looking for one too, I have a single six, it is an awesome gun. My cousin was selling one but I didn't have the money to buy it then. I may have to bite the bullet sometime and get one on an auction site.

Re: Team V - 01/23/17 06:04 PM

They're catching up with production I'm seeing more become available at retail stores . I would just keep my eyes open and be patient and you will get one at a good price .

Re: Team V - 01/31/17 06:25 AM

Man these thing keep plugging up the wolf sets .
Posted By: AK HUNTER

Re: Team V - 01/31/17 06:28 AM

That's a real bummer!

Re: Team V - 01/31/17 07:01 AM

If you'd set your pan tension a little stiffer, you wouldn't have to deal with those worthless smelly wolverine. If you don't want to deal with them, bring them over and I'll board the worthless critters for ya. Looks like a good one though. Congrats and keep it up. Did you guys get any of that snow up there.

Re: Team V - 01/31/17 07:18 AM

Got about 6 more inches and lots of snow drifts witch put most sets out of commission . No wolves on trip but had them run over a few 9 but to deep to fire .The Wolverine made multiple trips over till he got caught . That one hand seter I got from you is great love that thing . We got another wolverine but can't get pic to load . We have one running line eating marten and bait so I hope we got it . We also got a coyote man them things stink .

Re: Team V - 02/14/17 04:26 AM

Well was a little cold this weekend but got it done . Took a friend who has never been on a snow go or a trap line was a little fun I told him not to poke the sleeping wolverine but he had to do it . I am just glad I was there to save his life it was close but I got him in a sleeper hold.

Re: Team V - 02/14/17 04:28 AM

Way to go! Nice looking gulo....good to see Im not the only one getting the cold temps!

Re: Team V - 02/14/17 04:42 AM

Wolves are nowhere to be found this year in 117 miles I cut one set of tracks . I am in a wolf control area and they are doing a good job . In the beginning of winter we had a pack of 5 witch we took 3 sence then nothing . I talk to fish and game and they said great so I ask when they did there last survey and they were not sure . Dont get me wrong we need predator control but as a trapper it sucks not having them around to catch kinda takes the challenge out of it .

Re: Team V - 02/14/17 06:01 AM

Beautiful wolverine John, how was your overflow with those cold temps?

Re: Team V - 02/14/17 06:17 AM

Not bad but I would be carful landing a plane on the river a lot of spots with water under snow .

I had a weird thing happened on this trip in the middle of my trail about 50 miles out I had a 12 foot pole 6 inch around cut by chain saw laying on my trail . No one has been down my trail and have no idea how it got there had no snow on it so it was fresh . Only thing I can think of is it was somebodys wolf drag that fell off a plane .

Re: Team V - 02/14/17 06:25 AM

It was probably the same aliens that borrowed my trail groomer. They didn't put it back in the same place where the got it either

Re: Team V - 02/14/17 04:49 PM

I got 3 above at my house and it is raining pretty good . What the

Re: Team V - 02/14/17 06:39 PM

Congrats on the wolverine! It would have been a quicker dispatch if you would have had your paper bag, maybe White has some extras he can send you.
Posted By: Kusko

Re: Team V - 02/14/17 10:13 PM

Originally Posted By: Team V
I got 3 above at my house and it is raining pretty good . What the

For serious???

Re: Team V - 02/14/17 10:20 PM

Yes serious . Did not rain to much but now it is 31 above and suppose to rain this evening . Sence Sunday are weather has had a 70 degrees change .

Re: Team V - 02/19/17 04:55 AM

You don't know the paper sack method of dispatching wolverine?
mt

Re: Team V - 03/01/17 06:34 AM

Well went and pulled line and had two wolf traps left at far end of line and had this guy in the last trap . I can not get it to turn up right
Posted By: Aknative

Re: Team V - 03/01/17 06:36 AM

Beauty blacky!

Re: Team V - 03/01/17 06:50 AM

He was big will post more pics when I get them off phone . Having problems with eather phone or iPad . I have some trail camera pics and video of a airplane trapper putting wolf sets on river then you can here there conversation when they see my marten box/wolverine set on bank . They were there for a wile setting up and after seeing me stuff they pulled all there stuff .

Re: Team V - 03/01/17 08:21 AM

Wow! That's black! Cool!
Posted By: Chickenminer

Re: Team V - 03/01/17 08:54 AM

Sweet ! Always nice when the last set holds something !

Re: Team V - 03/01/17 05:39 PM

Any body no who has this plane . If you do pm me
Posted By: LeverAlone

Re: Team V - 03/01/17 05:43 PM

Here you go Team V....beauty!

Re: Team V - 03/01/17 06:05 PM

Awesome looking wolf!!

Is it just the picture or does it have something wrong with its right eye?

Re: Team V - 03/01/17 06:09 PM

No must be pic eye look good

Re: Team V - 03/01/17 06:35 PM

Beautiful wolf John
Posted By: smalltimetrapper

Re: Team V - 03/01/17 06:41 PM

Wow, that guy looks like he has some black bear genes! Nice one!

Pretty good of the airplane guy to pull his stuff after he saw your stuff there.

Re: Team V - 03/01/17 07:45 PM

Wow that,s a beauty john
Posted By: northway

Re: Team V - 03/01/17 10:12 PM

Going to say its Zack Knaebel of Tok Air Service. You may want to call and discuss. I've had a lot of trappers contact me about how this has continually happened. I don't want to be in the middle, so make the phone call. 907 322-2903 will get you in contact with him. I'm guessing if you post a thread on this here, you will find a few situations just like yours! Good luck!

Re: Team V - 03/02/17 12:39 AM

That is a sweet way to end the season! Congrats!!!!

Re: Team V - 11/02/17 05:05 PM

Just got my hand on a new bs wolf trap going to give it a try this year seems pretty well built .

Re: Team V - 11/02/17 05:53 PM

Looks very similar to the Koro, be interesting to see how it works. Price ?

Re: Team V - 11/02/17 06:21 PM

Tannery up here is going to offer them for 85 each last I herd . Available in black or white .
Posted By: alaska viking

Re: Team V - 11/02/17 07:10 PM

I will be running the BS Canine Extremes for wolverine this year.
I am very impressed so far, as to quality of welding, trap speed, and overall design.
Of course, only time will tell.
Posted By: muskrat411

Re: Team V - 11/02/17 08:27 PM

Does BS Trap stand for anything Team V?

Re: Team V - 11/02/17 09:38 PM

Not sure what BS stands for
Posted By: mad_mike

Re: Team V - 11/03/17 01:48 AM

I thought the line of traps were called “No BS”.

http://no-bslures.wixsite.com/nobslures

I thought Kusko and possibly Cav Scout used the wolf version and gave a review.
Posted By: Confused Trapper

Re: Team V - 11/03/17 03:17 AM

Beautiful wolf !!!! He does look like he's got some Black Bear in him lol

Re: Team V - 11/03/17 05:05 AM

Here is a comparison from Left to right MB750 , bridger 5 , Ak #9 , BS trap
Posted By: Top Jimmy

Re: Team V - 11/03/17 05:10 PM

Is that thing legal? Looks wider than the #9, and I thought that was about the size limit for foot hold traps in AK. Just curious if it goes over the 9" jaw spread from corner to corner of those bends.

-TJ
Posted By: Dewey NY

Re: Team V - 11/03/17 05:16 PM

That Wolf is beautiful.. Congrats..
Posted By: RiversNorth13

Re: Team V - 11/05/17 04:35 AM

This is off Kendalls site .
Wolf - 8 x 8.5 jaw spread .
He also has the Beaver 7 1//4 x 7 1/4 jaw spread .

K9 -XTREEME and a mb- 650

Posted By: Nunamiut

Re: Team V - 11/07/17 01:19 AM

So how many miles per tank of fuel does the 600 Cat get? Oil too? Im curious, Id like a carbed machine and was I seen a few with low miles on Craigslist.

Re: Team V - 11/07/17 05:29 AM

Nunamut not sure on the exact gas mileage its hole life it has been attached to a heavy uhmw sled. But with the sled it gets about the same gas mileage as my partners skidoo 550 fan . It does use a lot of oil two gas tanks to 1 oil tank . I bought it because of overflow and It rides way nicer then the old stuff and is pretty easy to work on compared to some of the newer stuff it is also EFI so it starts 2 pull every time . So far pretty happy with it .

Re: Team V - 11/07/17 05:03 PM

Nunamuit

I have a Bearcat 570 with a 18 gallon tank and get close to 150 miles to a tank. The 550 fans I have had get 6 to 8 mpg, pulling a sled.

I have had several 4 stroke machines and having a simple 2 stroke non computer machine is my choice.

Re: Team V - 11/08/17 05:48 PM

Thanks team v
After 5 years with the ACE, Im thinking I want a simpler machine. I went out a couple of winters ago with 2 guys riding Cat 570 widetracks. I was impressed with the fuel mileage they got even pulling loaded sleds. Not the best in the world, but good enough for what I do.

Re: Team V - 11/08/17 06:52 PM

One of the things I like about the cat is the hood lifts strait up and the motor is right there still tuck down in chassis but pretty easy to work on . I had a skidoo rev but the motor is crammed in the front and you have to try to work on it from the side .

Re: Team V - 11/08/17 07:55 PM

You have to work on your Cat? Must have over 30,000 miles on it, Team V :0
Posted By: Jess P.

Re: Team V - 11/10/17 07:37 PM

The reason they make Cat engines so accessible is cause you always have to work on them, and why Skidoo is not accessible. HAHA

Re: Team V - 11/10/17 08:06 PM

Go ahead and rag the cat it is ok I am not a brand loyal person . I belive in buy at right price and drive till it dies I bought the cat for $1800 with 416 miles on it at 2500 miles now with only doing slides and belt I can live with not spending $12000 on a new one .

This is my first cat in 15 years and so far pretty impressed I have friends with them with some pretty impressive miles on them .
Posted By: AK HUNTER

Re: Team V - 11/10/17 11:34 PM

My 2009 Arctic Cat M8 turned 10,200 miles last winter. That Suzuki engine has never been torn into, never hardly hiccupped, and still has 125 psi in each cylinder. That Cat hater don't know chit! With 2,500 miles you're just getting started!

Re: Team V - 11/11/17 03:31 AM

A friend loaned me one of his 570 Bearcats to see if I liked its ride. One of the throttle cables broke and when he picked it up he said I have never touched anything on this machine. He checked the miles and it had over 16,000 miles on it. He rides hard and long trips, Whitehorse, Nome and Prudhoe Bay several times. Sold me!

Had a 4 stroke SWT. I was told when the amber light comes on you better get to where your going!! Amber light came on and went to Cat!

Re: Team V - 01/15/18 04:36 AM

Haven't posted in awile but just got back . Somebody else ran down line and help me out with some dispatch to bad I was not there to bring it home so the Ravens would not tear it up. At
least it was there

Had a few other problem but nothing a little money can't fix

Re: Team V - 01/15/18 04:56 AM

Welcome back, V.
Posted By: white17

Re: Team V - 01/15/18 03:34 PM

Originally Posted By: Team V
Here is a comparison from Left to right MB750 , bridger 5 , Ak #9 , BS trap

I don't like the pan size on that No-BS trap ! I can see that creating marginal catches

Re: Team V - 01/15/18 03:46 PM

Not a fan of people trying to help out, but like you said at least it was still there. How in the heck did you manage to do that to your sled? Good to see it is in the shop and from the looks of the 9 wire you didn't have to walk out smile!

Re: Team V - 01/16/18 12:06 AM

White I will cut it down like I did to the bridger 5 . Pan is to big for me to

HFT I found one big bolder that brought me to a compleat stop real fast . As I went through the windshield and kiss the bumper I said to self this is going to hurt

Re: Team V - 01/16/18 12:26 AM

I am testing the B.S. canine extreme for gulo this year.
First thing I did was cut down the pan.
Only one wolverine so far, but certainly not just toes! Entire back foot.

Re: Team V - 01/16/18 01:12 AM

Have some B.S traps out for Wolves right now waiting to see how they do

Re: Team V - 01/16/18 02:30 AM

Team V ....
I've been testing the KO wolf trap for a couple seasons now. So far have been pleased.
Here is the last two from this season in the KO wolf traps..

Re: Team V - 02/06/18 06:24 PM

Had a new bs trap dropped off with bigger springs this thing has some power now. Going to order some and try out . Biggest worry with old one was the ability to come through crust . Top pic is old one bottom pic is new one

Re: Team V - 02/06/18 11:36 PM

Sweet.... they just keep getting better!
Posted By: bizzyb1299827

Re: Team V - 02/07/18 12:04 AM

I’m using the no BS traps and the wolf I caught this year in a trap was an awesome catch. High on the foot I was thinking when I walked up to it man I wish I had a camera to show Kendall how welll his trap worked!!
Posted By: red mt

Re: Team V - 02/08/18 06:43 AM

Originally Posted By: Chickenminer
Sweet.... they just keep getting better!

In this day and age they should be getting better I would hope.
Great news

Re: Team V - 05/29/18 05:56 AM

Well some bears are out had my nephew bring one home will go back next week for some more .

Re: Team V - 05/29/18 06:53 AM

Nice!
Posted By: Spek Jones

Re: Team V - 05/29/18 05:11 PM

Rolled it back on it's wheels for you, TeamV, hope that's okay.

Re: Team V - 05/29/18 06:58 PM

My pic it is on its wheels was your pic up side down

Re: Team V - 05/29/18 07:20 PM

Yes it was, and still is. Gremlins?

Re: Team V - 06/14/18 08:20 AM

Here is a few big boys to bad it is not open . Looks a little upset. There are 2 there just can't get pic to upload

Re: Team V - 06/19/18 05:35 PM

Those are some nice ones!

Re: Team V - 06/20/18 06:59 AM

Thanks Team V. I sure enjoy running trail cameras, and never get tired of looking at bear pictures.

Re: Team V - 06/28/18 06:19 PM

Here is a big old boy. Look were my head is and were his is I am 5"11

Re: Team V - 06/29/18 05:49 AM

Hey TV, do you cut the pans down on your BS traps? I got a few of the 'yote version to try. Heavy duty traps, but seems like that huge pan might be a little overkill. Might trip the trap before the foot is in the sweet spot. Also, i think I might soften the inside corner of the jaws a bit. As strong as they are (coyote version) they might cause undue damage on a cat with the sharp edge.

Nice bear pics!

Re: Team V - 06/29/18 03:30 PM

Are you referring to the canines extremes? I bought a dozen for wolverine last year, and cut about 1/2" off the end, then rounded the corners. Only had one encounter, but worked flawlessly.

Re: Team V - 06/29/18 03:32 PM

Only problem I had with the trap was that being dog-less, the pivot point of the pan is very prone to freezing down.

Re: Team V - 06/29/18 05:29 PM

Yes, canine extremes. The potential freeze down on the pan has been mentioned with this trap as well as with the Koros. No experience with either one yet. How did you try to prevent it, bed with dry moss or something, or just make sure your wax paper was wrapped around there?

Re: Team V - 06/30/18 02:26 PM

Keeping traps in the ground working here is always a challenge, but the last couple of years, especially difficult. Little snow, but rain for days, then clearing and 50 plus mph wind for a week and zero degrees temps. The ground is then like a frozen rock. Chip out all the sets, bed in either dry moss or hemlock tip, cover with same. Weather repeats itself, and so do I.

Re: Team V - 06/30/18 02:32 PM

I can tell you that they fit a large wolverine's back foot perfectly.

Didn't mean to hijack your thread, Team V. Sorry.

Re: Team V - 08/24/18 01:08 PM

Took my nephew up the steese on opener and bagged a few bou . He took his after a long hike up a ridge at 207 yards and I took mine at 456 . There not the biggest but good eating. There was lots of people but we found a area with only a few 4 wheeler on other ridges so not bad . Can not get pics to turn

Re: Team V - 08/25/18 01:55 AM

Woo hoo! Glad you got some meat.

Re: Team V - 09/11/18 01:56 PM

Took one of the neighborhood kids moose hunting this year and told him if he sees a bear yell at it and if it dose not leave shot it. I think it went like this get out of here bear boom . He was happy no moose yet going back. Sorry I have tried everything to turn this pics some time they will some time they will not

Re: Team V - 09/26/18 04:18 PM

Was moose hunting this year at my cabin and doing some work clearing brush and notice a old marten pole so I got looking and could see a old trail. Started following all the old sign I could find and it lead me to a small lake were I was looking around and right next to lake was a trap with chain going into water. Picked it up chain broke from rust but hey a free 114 Newhouse I will not gripe about. Talk to locals last person trapping there was in 80s

Re: Team V - 09/29/18 11:20 PM

Good deal for that young man getting a bear! Nice find!

Re: Team V - 11/02/18 01:41 AM

Ok did it might of not been my first choice but price is right with 2 year warranty . Hope it does ok will not have the power of the m6 but I think I will live.

Re: Team V - 11/02/18 01:50 AM

wow thats a good price! I saw a 98 tundra advertised today for $3900 canadian pesos
Posted By: bfisch

Re: Team V - 11/02/18 03:04 AM

Good price and nice garage/shop to keep it in! I have one just like it but a year older. I think it is a pretty comfortable ride compared to my skandic. Not as good of gas mileage though. Ended up getting a bigger windshield as the factory one is pretty small.

Re: Team V - 11/02/18 04:51 AM

That’s what I had before my expedition. Nice machine. Light and nimble. The weak point will be the shocks. Look into some wind deflectors for your knees. I don’t have them on mine but my grandpa does and they do make a difference on cold days. If you can find good gas shocks on eBay etc that will fit at a reasonable price I say buy them. A frog skin kit for the front vents wiould also be good. Again don’t have it mine but other guys have them and it helps keep snow out from under the hood.

Re: Team V - 11/02/18 04:26 PM

Yeah get the frog skins especially if you are going to be bush whacking. Sticks will fill up your manual starter and wreck it.

Re: Team V - 11/02/18 04:29 PM

You should have just coughed up the extra 8 grand and bought a new Titan. I seen the country you trap on your videos and the 550 with a 144 might not be enough machine for you.

Re: Team V - 11/25/18 06:25 AM

I Got a few traps out last week and did a run to check after eating to much holiday food . Not bad for just a few traps out not after cats yet but found one of my wolverine sets [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Team V - 11/25/18 12:37 PM

Nice!!!! Congrats on the fur! Wish we had that snow down here!

Re: Team V - 11/25/18 03:45 PM

Nice catch!

Re: Team V - 11/25/18 05:17 PM

Got my new trapping snow go finished and used on 60 mile run yesterday work pretty good. Box bolted windshield extended bags built and 10 mm holder front windshield and a few studs in track [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Team V - 11/26/18 04:27 AM

Looking good John!

Re: Team V - 11/26/18 03:45 PM

That is a sweet looking ride! Hope she runs well and lasts a long time for you!

Re: Team V - 12/12/18 03:18 PM

Not taking a lot of pics this year still a little slow can only run small portion 18 miles of line do to open water. Here is a few pics also 2 cats in bag being de bugged . Small wolverine [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Team V - 12/12/18 07:58 PM

Good looking lot of fur! Nice looking wolverine! What did you catch him in?

Re: Team V - 12/12/18 10:44 PM

HFTgot it in a 4. Have had a Wolverine running the line eating bait and marten so about every 4th trap put a #4 under box she had just eaten a marten at previous box and went down trail to next box where she was caught . Was little but can't have them eating my marten

Re: Team V - 12/14/18 03:50 AM

Nice work and some good looking fur John. How are ya liking your Polaris? Do you guys got any snow up there yet? Be safe and keep your track down

Re: Team V - 12/14/18 06:29 PM

Howler Polaris is working pretty good would like a little taller track but at end of day back feels pretty good and so far it has enough power to do what I need . We probley have almost 2 feet but no cold so rivers and lakes are not freezing up witch is not conductive to my trapping .

Re: Team V - 12/18/18 05:56 AM

Ran over weekend pick up one with pretty cool feet white on all 4. Ended up with 6 marten and 4 cats and new sled is working pretty good just some icing problem [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Team V - 12/18/18 08:48 AM

Good to hear the sled is working for you! That is a petty kitty, love those paws!
Posted By: broncoformudv

Re: Team V - 12/18/18 05:16 PM

That is one neat looking lynx.

Re: Team V - 12/18/18 06:26 PM

Wow John that is a pretty cat! You should do well with it on the taxi market.

Re: Team V - 12/18/18 06:27 PM

Once a guy has caught a number of lynx and been around other lynx trappers it becomes evident that white feet on lynx isn't that uncommon. Your area is doing pretty good to produce lynx and marten.

Re: Team V - 12/19/18 03:31 AM

Nice run Team V, glad to see you're catching fur, thanks for posting.
Posted By: Boco

Re: Team V - 12/19/18 03:35 AM

The white feet are pretty cool.Caught a few here with white toes and one this year with white on the feet.
Posted By: dapa

Re: Team V - 12/23/18 04:15 AM

Originally Posted by Boco
The white feet are pretty cool.Caught a few here with white toes and one this year with white on the feet.

Boco,i got one this year with 3 white feet, they must have been related we are only 160 miles apart. haha

Re: Team V - 12/23/18 05:15 AM

Could be Dan,they travel.Like was said above I don't think white toes are all that rare on lynx,but white feet that is more rare I think.

Re: Team V - 12/23/18 05:46 AM

Cool looking cat, taxidermists love those!

Re: Team V - 01/15/19 07:33 AM

Ran over weekend and it was cold -40 below but all in all pretty good run . 5 cats 5 marten and a couple dogs and one that got away just some pad fur in the trap [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Team V - 01/15/19 08:56 AM

Way to go!! They both look like toads!
Posted By: FullFreezer

Re: Team V - 01/15/19 01:21 PM

Nice haul, thanks for sharing.

Re: Team V - 01/15/19 05:04 PM

Nice looking wolves and cats! That is one huge drag.

Re: Team V - 01/31/19 03:29 AM

Went out over weekend had to put down another moose killer and a few grouse / rabbit murderers [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Team V - 01/31/19 04:20 AM

Nice catches.

Re: Team V - 01/31/19 05:50 AM

Some good looking Wolves and lynx this year John. You guys have a bit more snow up there. I'm thinking my grapples are way to small compared to yours. Do you ever get one to drag one very far?

Re: Team V - 01/31/19 07:49 AM

We do have some good snow this year snowed about 4 inch this weekend . Only wolf to ever drag one very far was a big female I am holding next to sled a few post up. She went about 1/4 mile but she stayed on my trail and got hung up then got free and went all the way back to where she originally got caught

Re: Team V - 01/31/19 09:07 AM

Good looking wolf! And congrats on the kitty's!

Re: Team V - 01/31/19 03:51 PM

Nice wolves. What I’d give to even see some tracks on my line.

Re: Team V - 01/31/19 03:54 PM

Nice job John

Re: Team V - 08/30/19 11:44 PM

Have been gone for a while. In February got in a little discussion with a intoxicated family member that led me to being punch in face and a visit from state troopers. I was not intoxicated at time so after subduing him for ruffly 5 sec we were separated and some one else called troopers. After they arrived we had separated by 50 yards and I told the truth first mistake never tell a trooper anything. Long story short if some one punches you in face run because if you protect yourself by holding them to ground in a round the neck cross chest hold you will be charged with attempted homicide felony B DV .You will spend $12000 dollars spend 177 days with a ban on your leg stuck in your house .

After both parties have attorneys and 5 th amendment pleas and mass stress the prosecutor decided to let you settle for a misdemeanor or wait 5 to 7 more months to go to trial wile stuck on ban .

All is good now . Ban is gone and got saved in process I have had to learn to forgive and give it to god and move on and never ever trust a police officer. My ban was taken off yesterday and I am headed out to look for a moose kinda weird being able to drive and move around with out permission.

Re: Team V - 08/31/19 12:17 AM

Amen. Welcome back. Now go kill something.

Re: Team V - 09/03/19 05:17 PM

Wow dude, hope it's all good and you can move on.

Re: Team V - 09/04/19 12:25 PM

Wile on ban I did get a 2 day furlough to go get some caribou [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: grisseldog

Re: Team V - 09/06/19 01:48 AM

Congratulations
The Lord is merciful.
Glad u got saved Brother
Posted By: FL cracker in AK

Re: Team V - 09/06/19 03:17 AM

Glad you are doing well. I got saved when I was 15.

Re: Team V - 10/23/19 02:17 AM

Glad I got this out of the way before trapping started . Doing a little trap line clean up and on a snowy hill there was a rock that found my knee . Doc said could live with out ligament so cut it of and 6 stitches . Lots animal sign and there still a grizzly running around out there . [Linked Image]

Re: Team V - 10/23/19 05:07 AM

Ouch dude! Glad it only needed stitches!

Re: Team V - 10/23/19 02:43 PM

OUCH! That's going to hurt for a while!
Posted By: EurekaTrapper

Re: Team V - 10/24/19 03:41 AM

Wow! That looks like it hurt. I hope you heal up enough to get back out there soon.

Re: Team V - 11/25/19 04:25 AM

Well got a little bit of the line out and already pick up some critters. Ended up with 3 marten and a wolf . [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Team V - 11/25/19 04:45 AM

Nice, Team V!

Re: Team V - 11/25/19 06:42 AM

Way to go. Envious of the catch, can't wait to get out here.

Re: Team V - 11/25/19 07:04 AM

Wow, nice black!
Posted By: FairbanksLS

Re: Team V - 11/25/19 08:12 AM

Glad to hear your legal problems are behind you. It sure looks like you hit the ground running. Nice pics and take care.

Re: Team V - 11/26/19 02:03 AM

Really black wolf. Bet it will bring a good price locally.
mt

Re: Team V - 11/28/19 04:49 PM

That is beauty of a wolf!!! Congrats!

Re: Team V - 12/31/19 01:47 AM

Went out over weekend and was a little cold but got some sets out and picked up a few critters a bunch marten and first time cat in a tip up and another wolf . Lost a wolf last week he got trap perfect between two trees and released himself is all I can come up with not many pics [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Sabertooth

Re: Team V - 12/31/19 01:57 AM

Order it through Sportsmans Warehouse and they will ship it to your store usually no charge in any state they are in

Re: Team V - 12/31/19 02:53 AM

Nice wolf! I gotta ask, was that a tip up for marten? How the heck did he get there smile No vole damage is always a plus!

Re: Team V - 12/31/19 03:50 AM

HFT we built it for cats . We cut down a heavy spruce and tie it to tree swing light end down and put a snare on end. Then put a nail in stationary tree and cut head off then bend down a hair after that you wrap 9 wire around nail twice and set snare . We have about 7 out now and plan to build more it does keep them off ground hopefully keep the shrews off

Re: Team V - 12/31/19 11:38 PM

Good stuff. Too bad about the lost wolf. Hoping to finally connect with one when I go out tomorrow. Got a couple the first weeks of the season and none since.

Re: Team V - 02/11/20 02:48 PM

Been slow with the weather cold but starting to pick back up. Here is a few pics from this and last weekend. Picked up the wolf in exactly the same trap as last black wolf . Wolverine probably ate 10 marten and a lynx over trapping season finally got him .Caught more critters just did not take a bunch of pics [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Team V - 02/11/20 06:48 PM

Big wolverine! Congrats. Bonus if you remove one that's a problem. Keep it up.
mt

Re: Team V - 02/11/20 07:00 PM

Thanks for sharing!

Re: Team V - 02/11/20 07:05 PM

Good looking critters! Did you snare the wolverine or get him in a trap? Love the marten set up!

Re: Team V - 02/11/20 08:49 PM

HFT he is in a #9 don’t snair to much to many of the caribou kind around . And I got idea for marten on here long ago 50 will fit in action packer and fast to put up and maintain. Every years bear will bend them down so I just bend them back up and set.
Posted By: Hankit

Re: Team V - 02/11/20 10:15 PM

If you wouldn't mind I would like to see a picture of your marten set all made up. Where does your bait go? Setting up a new chunck of line for next year and it looks like a pretty good setup. I don't imagine much snow builds up on it so it works after a heavy snowfall?

Re: Team V - 02/12/20 12:27 AM

Nice animals!

Re: Team V - 02/12/20 01:51 AM

Good work John. That's a good looking black wolf. Congrats on the fur. I'm gonna need another fur bag from ya. Mine is starting to get some leaks.

Re: Team V - 02/12/20 02:48 AM

Good deal! I saw what I thought was cable so had to ask smile

Re: Team V - 02/24/20 06:13 PM

Me and trapping partner just got back last night it was a beautiful weekend not running in 40 below for once was nice. We pick up a nice wolf some cats and marten and started closing down the line. Still left cat and dog stuff out for one more run . Took pics off his face book my i phone 5 died a horrible death on trip guess it is time for a new one [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Re: Team V - 02/24/20 06:34 PM

Some good looking fur! That is a beauty of a wolf! Congrats!
Posted By: 3 Fingers

Re: Team V - 02/24/20 07:23 PM

Beautiful wolf !
Posted By: Bruce T

Re: Team V - 02/24/20 08:06 PM

Nice catches

Re: Team V - 02/25/20 12:04 AM

Beautiful looking country and critters. Be nice to have that same blue sky for your last run.

Re: Team V - 02/25/20 01:11 AM

Let's see the special marten set! You seem to catch a lot of black wolves?
mt

Re: Team V - 02/25/20 02:27 AM

Nice work!

Re: Team V - 02/25/20 03:01 AM

Marten trapper I will take a good pic of marten set up or just bring one in and take pic I get a lot of requests about them . Yes we get a lot of black wolves.

Re: Team V - 02/25/20 03:28 AM

I checked your last2 marten pics. I see it. I assume the trap is set next to the tree with bait at the end of the rod. I've used similar sets and notice a fair number of refusals. Marten pass on by w/o climbing the tree. Apparently your satisfied with the sets performance? Are gray jays still a problem?
Also interested in your catch of lynx and marten. I've trapped a lot of different parts of Alaska and never have caught both on the same line.
Don't worry, not interested in crowding into your country.
mt

Re: Team V - 02/25/20 04:09 AM

Martentrapper it is a 18 inch long piece of rebar we weld to a piece of angle iron with two holes to lag to tree . Trap sits on angle and is held on with paper clamp (OfficeMax 500 cheap) we try to bolt them about 6 to 7 feet up . When marten is caught he dangles away from tree so shrews don’t get them and high enough others most the time leave alone . Fast and easy when your line is long. Also we just hang bait of end and there is a swivel welded there trap is permanently attached to set up . Most are mounted so you just pull up remove marten bait set and move . Me and partner just hopscotch down line way faster . Some days are over 100 miles .

Plus grizzly will come in every year bend them down check them and leave . When I get there bend them back up and set .

Gray jays not a problem they hang at end with no trap . Refusal not to many and they were probably ugly and not worth much any way so best they move on . When lynx are up marten go down found marten other day you could se were lynx killed and was in good shape on stretcher now

Had a lynx eating one the other day wile I pulled up . My 22 mag was frozen so I 10mm his but at about 25 feet leaving area will not eat any more of my marten

Line is long enough we go through different sections some are cat areas some marten and some are wolves and wolverines we set accordingly but they do overlap and that seems to be problems spots so we put 4s under marten sets in them areas and a random wolf trap here and there for that loner

Re: Team V - 02/25/20 04:21 AM

Martentrapper and as far as coming to my area you and I have been on here long enough that by your post I feel your a decent human being not worried about it . This is way I only post here not Facebook . Most people overtime you get a feeling of who they are by there post not saying there is not bad ones on here but for the most I feel most are good honest people on here I would like to think that

Re: Team V - 02/25/20 06:48 PM

Probably the guys who lurk, but don't post who we have to worry about. I'm working towards a 2021 retirement and a move out west to the trapping country of my younger and first years in Alaska.
Whatever happened to the "trapline" that was for sale a few years ago on Craigslist? It was north of the Elliot hiway and near some mining claims your family had.
mt

Re: Team V - 02/25/20 09:22 PM

I am not sure what is happening up there did not make it up there last year .Last I new a older couple were trapping part of it but most of it is native land now sense the rd to Tanana went in it has become a different place . I used to go and shot 60inch bulls every year but after road it is a dead zone. I hunted it 3 years after road and only got 1 moose when you use to see 2 to 4 bulls a day on ridges last trip spent 20 days there and no moose will not be going back . Parents mine is still for sale but dad is 83 and to ruff on him to run but still goes up and messes around all summer .

Re: Team V - 02/26/20 05:02 AM

Pretty cool short vid of that black wolf on ATA FB page.

Re: Team V - 02/26/20 05:19 AM

That is my trapping partner he likes video and stuff like that . Me not so much just do what I do and share with people on here . I find to many people I don’t agree with on Facebook so just not for me . But he was howling at first not to many do that he was a little upset and growled a lot

Re: Team V - 02/26/20 08:00 AM

Glad you're getting some fur John!

I've gotten a few lynx in marten protector sets, but have yet to have a catch in both sets on a check. I have had one or the other, a cat under the pole or a marten on the pole in the same season. I catch so few and make so few sets, I figure I'd better pad my chances.

Re: Team V - 03/20/20 10:49 PM

One left to go only got pic in sled did fast and furious run and pulled everything. Had a root canal done that got infected and was kicking my but so was just trying to get it closed up and back home . Bad part is dentist is closed for 30 day and have temp cap on tooth and still fighting infection. I think I am winning but tooth pain sucks. He has some chewed up back end I think the pack kicked him out old male. [Linked Image]

Re: Team V - 03/20/20 11:30 PM

After this year fighting snow build up in sled I took a chainsaw and modified my sled . This is my trapping partner sled he did last year it works pretty good. It hurts to do it but it works really good. Yes that is I built in #9 setter on back [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Team V - 03/21/20 12:40 AM

Originally Posted by Team V
After this year fighting snow build up in sled I took a chainsaw and modified my sled . This is my trapping partner sled he did last year it works pretty good. It hurts to do it but it works really good. Yes that is I built in #9 setter on back [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Best tip I've seen on here in a looong time John. Thanks, going to fix my sled tonight.

Re: Team V - 03/21/20 04:49 AM

What I found works good is a frozen lynx with no legs in sled when you stop it slides forward and when you take of it slides back and pushes snow out rear but not necessarily

Re: Team V - 05/16/20 04:25 AM

Me and trapping partner finally got around to taking year end pic. Had to take at slight angle because of sun [Linked Image]

Re: Team V - 05/16/20 06:38 AM

Awesome, congrats! Good numbers and a diversity of critters.
mt
Posted By: Allan Minear

Re: Team V - 05/16/20 09:41 AM

Congratulations on a successful season !

Re: Team V - 05/16/20 03:31 PM

Lovely display of your seasons hard work!
Posted By: EurekaTrapper

Re: Team V - 05/16/20 06:50 PM

Nice! With a winter like we had, that was a hard earned batch of fur.

Re: Team V - 05/16/20 08:17 PM

Nice work!

Re: Team V - 05/16/20 09:31 PM

nice work John

Re: Team V - 05/16/20 09:47 PM

Nice job John

Re: Team V - 05/17/20 04:48 PM

Good looking batch of fur! Congrats!

Re: Team V - 05/17/20 05:56 PM

nice bunch of fur there

Re: Team V - 12/10/20 02:11 AM

Well that time of year again we had 8 sets out and picked up 3 and had one in a foot hold but pulled out while at set and it took off . I had one chance at a shot but screwed it up . The week before while out with kids I unchamberd my 10 mm because I hade a 8 year old riding with me and I keep it in windshield bag . I had him at about 15 yard and I heard a click and then I remembered it was not chambers and he was gone . [Linked Image]

Re: Team V - 12/10/20 03:03 AM

Good deal on the wolves! Ouch on not having one in the chamber! Hope you guys cross paths again!
Posted By: Dylan Phelps124

Re: Team V - 12/10/20 05:30 PM

Connecting on 3 out of 8 sets. Talk about some effective sets! That's a bummer about the one getting away though.

Re: Team V - 12/10/20 05:57 PM

The downfall of keeping things safe, but on the other hand your sets are apparently working well and you got the other two!

Re: Team V - 12/18/20 11:36 PM

Awesome! looks like a good start

Re: Team V - 12/22/20 02:02 AM

Was a good run now the work begins. Save a bunch of moose and caribou over the weekend . lost one wolverine and cat wolves ate them . Also got one with a magical radio collar [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Team V - 12/22/20 02:05 AM

If the moose and caribou could, they would thank you. Very good check. Congratulations!
Posted By: bucksnbears

Re: Team V - 12/22/20 02:18 AM

awesome!
That made my day smile

Re: Team V - 12/22/20 02:22 AM

Way to stack them up! I think the black ones are cool!

That one have a collar?

Re: Team V - 12/22/20 02:31 AM

4th one over from left . Called fish and game they said bring it when sealed . I said as long as you give me info on it no problem. Would be cool to see where it had been

Re: Team V - 12/22/20 02:33 AM

Man you are smokin HOT and on a roll this year! Be kind of neat to hear when that wolf was collared and what its range was. Congrats on the fur and I hope the work isn't to bad smile

Re: Team V - 12/22/20 02:36 AM

I think it is time to call in some friend favors some have already offered to come give a hand . Hope you season going well

Re: Team V - 12/22/20 03:19 AM

WICKED!! Sure beats my trip. I Drove in and walked out. Going to fish my skidoo out tomorrow
Posted By: Ak-OJ

Re: Team V - 12/22/20 03:21 AM

Awesome photos and an awesome check!

Re: Team V - 12/22/20 03:34 AM

Way to go! I see a ton of work!

Re: Team V - 12/22/20 04:35 AM

Nice work John.

Re: Team V - 12/22/20 04:49 AM

Thanks guys already got them thawing sounds like a few friends may come and help .

Re: Team V - 12/22/20 05:24 AM

Wow, that's a pile of wolves! Were these all one pack?

Re: Team V - 12/22/20 07:15 AM

Sweet.... That's a run you will remember !

Re: Team V - 12/22/20 12:50 PM

Nice haul,great looking wolves too.

Re: Team V - 12/22/20 01:48 PM

Good Morning and congratulations on a fantastic check on your line that's one to be proud of !
Darn nice pictures as well !
Merry Christmas !
Allan

Re: Team V - 12/22/20 04:42 PM

Way to stack them up! Sure would be neat to get the info on that collared one.
Posted By: bearcat2

Re: Team V - 12/23/20 01:42 AM

Originally Posted by Ryan McLeod
WICKED!! Sure beats my trip. I Drove in and walked out. Going to fish my skidoo out tomorrow

That sucks, I had a similar experience today. We don't get overflow here normally like you guys have to deal with up north, but. . . was out this morning and ran a loop, coming back by the pickup about 9 am to head up a different road when I came off the one I was on I decided I would ride across the meadow instead of running the snowmachine a couple hundred yards down the plowed road to the other road I was going to go up. Was parked in a spot go-fasters come to ride on the weekends and there were plenty of snowmachine tracks across the meadow, which I have road across many times in the past. But it poured the rain Sunday and Monday. I pulled out in there and all of a sudden the Bearcat sunk! Stepped off into knee deep water. Brrr! Screwed around shoveling and got it like 20 feet but that whole meadow was a pond under a couple feet of snow. Went and got my truck, figured I would just winch it out with the truck, which worked until the alternator decided to quit on the truck. Ended up going out and calling the wife to bring my other truck, finally got the Bearcat winched out about 12:30.

Next time I'll just ride on the rocks, not like I don't replace skis every couple years from running on rocks and bare ground anyways.

Re: Team V - 01/09/21 08:03 PM

Woo hoo!

Re: Team V - 01/10/21 07:34 AM

Federal collar I bet. Doubt the state has any out. Should be a reward for it. Seems like I got 50 bucks in the 90s.
That's quite the haul. Lucky, or the wolf numbers increased?

Re: Team V - 01/11/21 03:01 AM

Marten trapper not sure about where TeamV trapline is but the state does have a bunch of collard wolves out in 17 In part due to us being a predator control unit
Team V heck of a catch and a lot of work after as well my hands get sore doing one of the buggers anymore let alone 9

Re: Team V - 01/11/21 06:27 AM

Just got back from the line ended up with 4 cats 3 wolverines and a wolf oh and 3 marten in last 2 checks Not after marten this year but they like the wolverine sets no pic of wolf . [Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Re: Team V - 01/11/21 06:42 AM

Sweet! You are stacking the fur up this year! That trail looks a little sketch though...... smile I see one wolverine in a snare, one in a 330, and...? Awesome job on getting out there and connecting!
Posted By: Posco

Re: Team V - 01/11/21 02:39 PM

4th one over from left . Called fish and game they said bring it when sealed . I said as long as you give me info on it no problem. Would be cool to see where it had been

I shot a collared bear when I lived up there. Ak. Dept. of F&G sent me a detailed map of every contact they had with the bear, including where it denned. It spent the previous winter twenty miles away from where I took it.

Re: Team V - 01/11/21 03:06 PM

HFT . We miss some pics days are short line is long

Re: Team V - 01/11/21 04:44 PM

You're well on your way to one heck of a season. Well done!!!!!!!!!!!

Re: Team V - 01/11/21 08:32 PM

Team V, I get that and appreciate seeing the catch photos you do you post smile
Posted By: scootermac

Re: Team V - 01/11/21 09:54 PM

That's a great run congratulations! Could you please post more pics of the white pawed wolverine

Re: Team V - 01/12/21 12:07 AM

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Team V - 01/12/21 02:00 AM

That is a pretty one! Looking at your bucket/ oil drum? How are you getting the trap to stay put? Dont see any notches.

Re: Team V - 01/12/21 05:58 AM

We poke to holes in it and use light weigh zip ties. In the cold they just break when fired . We found drum on line and 2 shots with a 22 instant cubby .

Re: Team V - 01/12/21 06:04 AM

Never thought of using zip ties for that. Pretty good idea!

Re: Team V - 01/12/21 05:24 PM

You all are on a roll!

Re: Team V - 01/25/21 01:35 PM

Fun on the line got wolf #13 #14 and 15 and a 100 miles on a broke snow go. Broken shock back feeling it this morning. Finally got my wolf drowning set to work after many years of trying. Lesson 43 never dispatch wolf close to water because he will look at you and through eye contact let you know your going to work for his but and then jumps in and bellies up . Having problems with top to photos so screen shot them [Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Team V - 01/25/21 04:27 PM

How' the marten doing in that burned country? You guys got the wolf trapping pegged. Impressive. Must be a few extra moose in that country the last few years!

Re: Team V - 01/25/21 04:35 PM

Not sure leaving marten alone this year have like 5 sets out but no scent just working on wolves and Wolverine

Re: Team V - 01/25/21 05:00 PM

Thank you for sharing your trap line adventures with us , the swimming wolf story reminded me of a coyote I had snared that somehow ended up dead in the river as well ha ha

Re: Team V - 01/25/21 05:44 PM

Way to go John! I had the suspension collapse in my Supertrak one year, thank goodness I might have only been 12 miles from the truck! I didn't realize how much suspension that old machine actually did have until it didn't.

Re: Team V - 01/25/21 05:49 PM

Good stuff! I like the black one.

Re: Team V - 01/25/21 06:53 PM

Good job on the wolves! I bet that wasn't any fun getting him out of the drink! Hope it is an easy fix on the sled and that nothing else got broke, gotta ask though what happened for it to break?

Re: Team V - 01/25/21 08:44 PM

HFT pretty sure it is the cheap Polaris shocks going to buy a skidoo or fox shock next . The top eye keeps breaking off this will be the third one it was under warranty so I keep using them but now I have to buy it I will up grade

Re: Team V - 01/25/21 09:35 PM

Way to go John

Re: Team V - 01/25/21 09:35 PM

Well that bites, I hope it is a easy fix for you!

Re: Team V - 01/26/21 04:04 AM

I busted several springs on the old Tundras, I feel your back. On those the track would rub on the top of the tunnel with one spring unless you limped it along very easy with all your weight hanging over the handlebars. Assuming it is similar on the Polaris by the pics.

Broke a front shock on my Arctic Cat, made for an interesting 20 miles out all while standing on the right floorboard.

Great job on the wolves!

Re: Team V - 01/31/21 07:05 AM

Holy crap that’s a whole pack! Awesome!

Re: Team V - 02/01/21 11:58 PM

That sure looks like a headache getting the wolf out of the river. Broken suspension on sleds can make for some rough and interesting trips out. Good job on all those wolves!

Re: Team V - 02/02/21 06:09 AM

You are doing well on the woofs, congrats! A little more work when you have to go fishing for them!

Re: Team V - 02/02/21 03:30 PM

Good Job glad to see the success with the wolves continues last time I busted a suspension it cost me a bunch as my first clue to it being broke was when it punched through the track

Re: Team V - 02/07/21 04:35 AM

Another trip down cold one at that. We left at 9:00 in morning at -41 returned at 8:30 pm at -41 picked up wolf # 16 and some Wolverine. Have come to terms that Wolverine can’t smell very good. Have noticed over the years they will run right by a set if it is more then 5 feet off trail and head straight for that perfect wolf set and jump right in it to just to save there buddy the wolf . That is some friend ship . Wolves are thinning out not seeing much sign . Did run across a 6 pack at far end of line and set on them [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Team V - 02/07/21 04:38 AM

Super sweet!

Re: Team V - 02/07/21 04:49 AM

Sure sounds like a chilly ride, but well worth it!

Re: Team V - 02/07/21 07:01 AM

Awesome job and good looking critters!

Re: Team V - 02/07/21 01:06 PM

Great pictures thanks for sharing them ! I really like the wolverine looking at you from behind the tree !

As for the -41 below weather makes me homesick for the highline of Montana .
Allan

Re: Team V - 02/07/21 04:50 PM

Chilly, glad you got fur out of it!

Re: Team V - 02/08/21 03:31 AM

Doing pretty good. Hope you put a dent in the 6 pack also! Can't make out the snogo. What are you and your pard riding this year?

Re: Team V - 02/08/21 02:56 PM

Martentrapper I am riding a Polaris lxt and partner has a very heavy arctic cat bear track that we had to use a rope along to roll it back over on it skis last trip

Re: Team V - 02/09/21 05:16 PM

You guys are working the wolves over this season, good luck with the new pack! Thats funny about the wolverine protecting their buddy the wolf LOL.

Re: Team V - 02/22/21 01:41 AM

Back from the line and the wolves are getting a little thin . Picked up # 17 and had a black one check out a lynx bucket and then disappeared date wrong on camera I never set them . Found a kill and set it up but looks like a pack of maybe 4 so we will see . [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Team V - 02/22/21 02:01 AM

Nice looking grey.

Re: Team V - 02/22/21 02:18 AM

Sweet 17 smile Hope you connect with a few more!

Re: Team V - 02/22/21 07:32 PM

Way to go! Do you always have this many wolves on your line or is there multiple packs?

Re: Team V - 02/22/21 08:45 PM

Not normally this many but I think a couple of packs have moved in at least that is what it looks like . The one I got with radio collar came from a pretty good distance and we took 6 out of that pack of 10 . There is still one large pack 22 but it is moved on . We are set if the come back but for now it is 1s and 2s but as breeding season kicks off it should pick up .

Re: Team V - 02/23/21 05:02 PM

Shoot you guys are having a heck of a season. Bet that pack of 22 left a heck of a trail when they came though. Never run across that much sign from them, usually packs 6 or so. Hope you get that black one.

Re: Team V - 02/24/21 04:59 AM

Do you think the number of wolves in your area is effected by the number of caribou in the area.
You 2 seem to know what your doing as much as anyone on this forum.

Re: Team V - 02/24/21 01:53 PM

Yes. Large packs of 18 or more follow the caribou we have noticed that when the caribou come in some times they bring in a big pack that also leave when the caribou leave . I feel there big enough to travel that the small pack can’t do nothing about them being in there territory. I had a friend hunting bear in my territory this year in the fall and counted 2 different packs one 17 to 18 and one 22 . We hammered the 17 one but the 22 one left with the heard
We no were it is right now but it is in some one else’s territory but not getting trapped it still close to are area we are hoping they will shot through for a visit . We have also noticed when the wolves are in so are the Wolverine. Pretty sure a lot of Wolverine follow the wolves for the scraps.

Re: Team V - 02/24/21 03:33 PM

Nice catches. We see the caribou wolves and resident packs here too.
Posted By: Akmike84

Re: Team V - 02/25/21 10:25 PM

Doesn't take long with predator control being closed for the wolf numbers to explode. Those big packs are the very thing that will get it opened back up in the coming years. Good job trying to keep them thinned out.
Mike

Re: Team V - 03/22/21 12:52 PM

Well my season is done closed up over weekend and picked up wolf #18 . It was a good run but time to go to work and get ready for the spring bear season total for year was 18 wolf 5 Wolverine 5 cat and 6 marten. Left marten and cats alone this year only had a couple sets out cats are in there declining stage and marten sign were down I think cause cats ate them . Will post end of year pic here shortly [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: NorthenTrapper

Re: Team V - 03/22/21 04:41 PM

Do the blacks bring more money than the grays?

Re: Team V - 03/22/21 05:59 PM

Most the time yes . Most are sold to taxidermy market or wall hangers

Re: Team V - 03/22/21 06:14 PM

Sounds like a good season for you, thanks for sharing.

Re: Team V - 03/23/21 12:43 AM

I would call that season a success!

Re: Team V - 03/23/21 04:23 AM

Appreciate you sharing your season with us! That is a heck of a lot of wolves and I am sure the moose and bou will be much happier! How many miles you put on your machine this year?

Re: Team V - 03/23/21 11:39 PM

I put on about 1000 miles a year give or take a couple hundred

Re: Team V - 04/25/21 02:55 AM

End of year pic . All done time for some tanning and some selling and to get ready for next year . [Linked Image]

Re: Team V - 04/25/21 04:16 AM

You guys had a awesome run this year! Thank you for sharing and look forward the next season!

Re: Team V - 04/25/21 05:25 AM

From what I can see all your wolves have good fur. No lice or folicular dysplasia. Tony Hollis says the dysplasia is mostly found on wolves in flat country. Your in some hills I believe? Did you see any signs of lice? Good job. You and the pard must have brought fur back every trip!!

Re: Team V - 04/25/21 04:29 PM

Great job on the wolves.
You should have a good number of other furbearers on your lines by hammering the wolves.
A lot of trappers here neglect to manage their wolf pops.The ones that do have much more productive lines.

Re: Team V - 04/27/21 05:37 AM

Awesome pic, nice job! Saw Dustin's pic on FB, you guys had a great season!
Posted By: FullFreezer

Re: Team V - 04/27/21 05:25 PM

For that many wolves you should get a couple extra draw chances.
Nice job.

Re: Team V - 04/27/21 05:26 PM

Thats a great end of season picture!

Re: Team V - 04/28/21 11:21 PM

Looks like you guys had a great year congrats great job

Re: Team V - 10/08/21 03:16 AM

Well looks like I will be sitting this year out. Last year was hard on the jelly in the L5 disk in my back and it decided to pop out right in to my sciatic nerve been a fun summer. Having it fixed at end of month so probably will not be out banging around on the snow go for awhile. Hopping to get a little in at end of season if possible.

Re: Team V - 10/08/21 04:08 AM

That sucks! Sorry to hear. I ruptured a disk last February, pinched the sciatic nerve, then followed with piriformis syndrome. Was basically bed/chair-bound for 2 months, followed by a month of shuffling, and crawling. Excruciating pain. If I got 2 hours of sleep at a time, it wasn't often.
So sorry.

Re: Team V - 10/08/21 06:33 AM

Sorry to hear that and hope you have a speedy recovery!!!
Posted By: yukonjeff

Re: Team V - 10/08/21 07:11 AM

Bummer. Hope you heal up quick, and get back out.

I see that your above photo is Miss February on the ATA calendar, looks pretty cool in glossy print. So you will have that to look at anyway for motivation.

Re: Team V - 10/08/21 05:05 PM

Good luck with the surgery and recovery!

Re: Team V - 10/08/21 05:06 PM

Dam, hope surgery goes smooth and you heal quick.

Re: Team V - 10/08/21 11:44 PM

Praying.
Posted By: Scott__aR

Re: Team V - 10/09/21 03:18 AM

Really enjoy all the pics from up there. Prayers for a speedy recovery.

Re: Team V - 11/10/21 11:01 PM

Had my back surgery yesterday all seems to be going good able to get up and move around with out pain is nice . Still have some sciatic pain doc thinks a little nerve damage but will hopefully heal over next few months. Now the long wait of healing. They say I can’t pick anything over 8 pounds up for 2 months and give it another before any hard lifting. So looks like I will be arm chair trapping this year. Trapping partner is headed out this weekend to set line sure going to miss it.

Re: Team V - 11/11/21 12:16 AM

Good to hear your on the mend! Be good to your body, I for one want to see those catch pic's next season!

Re: Team V - 11/11/21 06:09 PM

Take it easy and hope you have a quick recovery!

Re: Team V - 11/11/21 10:17 PM

Just ride along and let him do all the work!!

Re: Team V - 11/12/21 04:09 AM

Hope it's a smooth recovery man!

Re: Team V - 11/15/21 05:00 PM

Hey John glad to hear surgery went well and you are recoup mode. Listen to the Dr's and you'll heal up fine. Are you still sewing and making boat tops?

Re: Team V - 11/15/21 05:26 PM

Yep last couple years have been busy every one and there sister has been buying boats or redoing there’s . Already booking them for spring.

Re: Team V - 02/10/22 02:42 PM

Not trapping this year because of back surgery but partner is running with a friend. He sent me a pic of a Wolverine they caught in a tip up we built 4 years ago and have only caught cats in it . The one year I don’t run it actually worked I just thought I would share the pic . [Linked Image]
Posted By: Oh Snap

Re: Team V - 02/10/22 03:29 PM

That would be something to come up on just after getting caught. That worked really good. Thanks for the picture John!

Re: Team V - 02/10/22 04:07 PM

That is awesome. Always wanted to try that.
Posted By: Wolverine Hunter

Re: Team V - 02/10/22 05:52 PM

Did something similar back in my 30's... over a couple decades ago now. Had a condition called Spondylolisthesis, but anyway, fancy way of saying that vertebrae moved and nerves got dragged and pinched, primarily the sciatic. It went on for a long time, and I finally had surgery. Metal cages. Bored open nerve holes. Packed in hip bone to fuse it. It isn't perfect, but it stuck. I have some nerve damage, but have been able to tolerate it since. I still get sciatica, but if I behave myself, it's ok. The main thing is, posture is key. I can't slouch. Can't sit on couches or recliners. Anything I can sink into is pure poison. Hard chairs and floors are better.

I've had many a good adventure since then. Probably forgot about more than I can remember.

I imagine they've come a long ways when it comes to getting better at back surgery in the past two decades.

This, of course, is all to give you hope.

And, you're not alone. I'm right there with ya this winter, being the armchair trapper, which is why my journal has been so quiet. For me, it's hernias and carpeltunnel.

Rest up, behave yourself and heal, and you'll be rocking it next season.

Re: Team V - 02/10/22 11:13 PM

Originally Posted by HFT AK
You guys had a awesome run this year! Thank you for sharing and look forward the next season!

Nice catch of fur.Congrats

Re: Team V - 02/11/22 05:02 PM

Can you post a picture of the snare trigger you use TeamV

Re: Team V - 02/11/22 05:40 PM

What a sight to see. Bet you all are thrilled it finally connected with a wolverine and worked. Now to set up a game camera and get some video of it right after being caught.

Re: Team V - 02/13/22 06:39 PM

I'd like to see that trigger too. Used to do the white 17 snare pole for wolverine around Nome. Would really work well in spruce tree country.
Jon, you and the pard are the ATA calendar picture for February. Curious where the dredge buckets came from. Even small ones like that are pretty heavy. How did you get them to the cabin?
Nice pic in the calendar. Heck of a big animal catch that year!

Re: Team V - 02/13/22 08:39 PM

Don’t have a pic of trigger but can explain it . First build a snare with about 3 feet of 14 or 9 gage wire attached to it with double feral . First attach it to your lift Pole than swing your Pole down to bottom and figure out we’re your snare is going to set . Best way to do it is wire your Pole to stationary tree so you can do work safely. After wired pull extra wire around back side of tree and drive a large nail in to stationary tree . Wrap extra wire around nail 3 or 4 times and cut head off nail . Once done remove safety wire and back out . Dredge bucket were at cabin we used for pictures not sure they came from . Was a lot of work last year my back can contest to it . Sure am missing trapping this year .

Re: Team V - 02/16/22 06:50 PM

Not my wolf but trapping partners . I have caught a lot of wolves but this one is the biggest I have seen so far . My trapping partner and friend got it on the line with 3 others but this one is huge. Pic does not do it justice . Weight is 131lb [Linked Image]

Re: Team V - 02/16/22 07:22 PM

Good looking toad of a wolf!

Re: Team V - 02/16/22 08:00 PM

That is a big one !! Was his gut full of meat ?

Re: Team V - 02/16/22 08:11 PM

Wow! Looks like a fatty!

Re: Team V - 02/16/22 08:43 PM

Not my wolf but trapping partners . I have caught a lot of wolves but this one is the biggest I have seen so far . My trapping partner and friend got it on the line with 3 others but this one is huge. Pic does not do it justice . Weight is 131lb [Linked Image]

Big wolf

Re: Team V - 02/16/22 11:46 PM

He had a little meat in him. But in general he was just big . His paws were huge and was just thick . We catch a lot of wolves and you just don’t see them this big that often. The biggest one I have caught up to this point was 119 .

Re: Team V - 02/17/22 01:07 AM

Be nice to see a pic of that wolf on the board.

Re: Team V - 02/18/22 05:06 PM

What a huge wolf!

Re: Team V - 06/13/22 02:45 AM

Been a good spring got out with a couple young hunters and let them bag there first bears . Been a lot of work but well worth it . The black one when I skinned it had a full load of # 7 shot stuck under the skin on it back been there for awhile. [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Team V - 06/13/22 06:28 PM

Good looking bears! Congrats to the youngsters that got them!

Re: Team V - 06/15/22 03:53 AM

Way to go!

Re: Team V - 06/15/22 05:41 AM

Way to go John!

Re: Team V - 11/21/22 04:39 PM

Well My name got change today I now have a new name called grandpa. What a feeling . And trapping related we will be setting this weekend. After missing last season do to injury can’t wait to get started. Been built wolf snares all weekend
Posted By: yukonjeff

Re: Team V - 11/21/22 05:33 PM

Congratulations Uppa

Good luck on the line. Stay safe.

Re: Team V - 11/21/22 11:59 PM

Congrats!!!! I got my first on this past March smile

Re: Team V - 11/30/22 10:08 AM

Congratulations John!

Re: Team V - 01/18/23 05:42 PM

Off to a slow start this year work got in the way but finally up and running. Wolves are a little scarce this year with no caribou around but put a bunch of gear out last run hoping they will show up. Pick up 14 marten and a Wolverine on last trip. [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Team V - 01/18/23 07:02 PM

Thats a nice trapline run! Sure looks cold in the first pic.

Whats the box above the marten pole in the middle pic?

Nice wolverine!

Re: Team V - 01/19/23 12:31 AM

I heard the story of that wolverine, sounds like good times, lol.

Re: Team V - 01/19/23 12:36 AM

Good deal! Awesome to see you back at it!

Re: Team V - 01/19/23 04:29 AM

The box is a coni bear box for 120 my trapping partner is a sheet metal worker . When he is board and got scrapes he builds them .

Re: Team V - 01/19/23 05:51 PM

Dang I never would have figured that out from the picture. Always good to have some free time at work to work on trapping gear.
Posted By: Jakeland

Re: Team V - 01/20/23 01:33 AM

Great job ! Keep at it

Re: Team V - 02/22/23 05:57 PM

Had to do it have not been out of Alaska for 21 years so me and new wife and kids took off to Mexico for 19 days. They have awesome sunsets and the food was great . Learn real quick not to drink bad tequila [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Team V - 02/22/23 06:26 PM

My wife likes going warm places. Some winters it's really good medicine.

Re: Team V - 02/22/23 07:30 PM

Its good to get outside and take a break every now and then. Even better when its cold here and warm there.

Re: Team V - 02/22/23 09:18 PM

It was very hard to come back. We have already booked a place for next year hoping as I get older I can leave for a few months at a time . We have family that live there 4 months a year and I see why. It is a different place the people are friendly food is good and weather was a average of 85 but it never felt hot . The thing that got me was how cheap it was on average we could eat good on 25 American a day . I went one day and bought 2 chickens 6 pork steaks 2 pounds ground beef 6 Sausages and 2 pounds bacon for 11 American dollars. The best food came from street vendors that came out at night and set up on side of road it might of been dog but it was good . We took 2500 American dollars converted to pasos witch gave us $45,440 to spend.
Posted By: WBG

Re: Team V - 02/22/23 10:05 PM

Looks nice! Where in Mexico? Did You feel safe the whole time?
Posted By: caldwellite

Re: Team V - 02/22/23 10:52 PM

Safe? Did you not see the fence in the third picture?

Re: Team V - 02/23/23 12:37 AM

Looks like a good time! Always miss those sunsets over the ocean like that, brins back some fond memories.

Re: Team V - 02/23/23 01:38 AM

We went to La manzanita I felt safe hole time. 90% of the tourist there are French Canadians if anything they scared me . Not really a tourist attraction town very small . There was National guard all over and police but they were all extremely friendly. I have family that have lived there for 5 years and never a problem. Mexico to me was a very free country from what I seen and they know how to party. Driving in Mexico is crazy it is like grand theft auto were every thing goes. Now the crocodile are crazy they put the little chicken wire fences up but they just tear through them the one in pic tore through the fence and now sitting in the little pond next to the road right next to the bar . Were you walk back at 10 at night with your phone light trying not to get eaten.

Re: Team V - 02/23/23 04:48 AM

Maybe you could do some ADC trapping of crocs? Was it a croc or a gator?

Re: Team V - 02/23/23 06:53 PM

Dang that is some cheap living around there and the wildlife sound like they might provide some entertainment.

Re: Team V - 03/15/23 03:02 PM

Well my season has come to a close time to go back to work. Not a lot of wolves this year they were just not there but we did pickup 2 on last run . I think what did it was there was no caribou around this year . No food no predators we picked up some marten and a couple cats but they were even thin [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Team V - 03/15/23 03:40 PM

Nice last run! Hope next season picks up for you. Looks like you had some great views out there though.

Re: Team V - 07/03/23 07:20 AM

Here is a dead bear that would not let me out of my tree stand for 2.5 hrs. Every time I tried to get out he would charge stand and smack it and run me back up. After using colorful language on him and hitting him with every thing I had in stand I smoked him with the 458 socom. Here are some other bears to. The black bear on bottom is same bear
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image] [Linked Image]
Posted By: Pete in Frbks

Re: Team V - 07/03/23 02:45 PM

I'd say the chances of that same bear harassing you like that again.... are slim!

Pete
Posted By: Slick Pan

Re: Team V - 07/03/23 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by Pete in Frbks
I'd say the chances of that same bear harassing you like that again.... are slim!

Pete

I agree
Posted By: victor#0

Re: Team V - 07/04/23 12:17 AM

Good pics, the bears ate my game cam this year. Are you putting yours in a metal box? I need to figure out a way to bear proof mine for next year.

Re: Team V - 07/04/23 12:57 AM

I use gloves when I put it up so no scent gets on them and I pile a ton of brush around tree 3 feet high all around tree. They seem to not like to clime through the brush to get to it.

Re: Team V - 07/04/23 01:09 AM

Here is a dead bear that would not let me out of my tree stand for 2.5 hrs. Every time I tried to get out he would charge stand and smack it and run me back up. After using colorful language on him and hitting him with every thing I had in stand I smoked him with the 458 socom. Here are some other bears to. The black bear on bottom is same bear
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Good looking pelt on the blackie you shot.
Why do the bears molest the cameras-curiosity?

Re: Team V - 07/04/23 03:02 AM

Most the time it is young bears /Cubs or if your bait runs out the start walking around chewing every thing . I have found if my bait runs out they like to get in my stand also .

Re: Team V - 07/04/23 03:21 AM

The other day I got to stand in a room with my daughter for about 15 min and talk to her like she was my little girl and let her no how proud I was of her . To all the fathers out there this is a very hard thing to do . I don’t share many personal thing but this is something I will because if you get a chance to sit with them one more time do it . They grow up quick shortly after this pic I walked her down the isle.[Linked Image]

Re: Team V - 07/04/23 01:21 PM

Congratulations you haven't lost your little girl you gained a new son and sometime down the road grandkids to spoil rotten with chocolate bars and Mtn dew then send back home to them ha ha !

That picture is worthy of being framed and hung on the wall !

Re: Team V - 07/04/23 09:53 PM

You better frame it and hang it on your wall. That dress probably cost you 8 or 8 prime Alaskan black wolves.
Posted By: savvy

Re: Team V - 07/05/23 12:26 AM

no price can ever be put on a moment like this. congradulations. awsome.
Posted By: g smith

Re: Team V - 07/05/23 02:30 AM

Great picture, you are proud of her I am sure

Re: Team V - 07/05/23 07:20 PM

Yep, I did that for the first time on June 10. Three more to go, lol.

Re: Team V - 01/15/24 02:45 PM

Off to late start this year but at it . Not much wolf activity so far but the caribou just started moving in so I no they will come. Had to run by my self this weekend trapping partner has been layed up from surgery but will be back at it this weekend. Here is a few pics . We have been cutting out a line that probably hasn’t been trapped in 20 to 30 years still has tons of marten traps hanging. Most of the poles are broken and if you dig around long enough you can pull them from the tundra. At this point we are only six miles in but looks to be at least 40 miles long . Cutting trail is ruff stuff . This Wolverine in photo was hung up in a wolf snare after cruising the line eating bait and marten . He was trap smart and was cleaning house [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Team V - 01/15/24 03:15 PM

Nice run on the marten. No caribou for us either. 1 decent sized pack. Good luck cutting open the trail.

Re: Team V - 01/15/24 04:02 PM

Interesting on the new line. Are you adding the conibears or were they there too. I know an elderly couple somewhere around where you are. They are catching lynx and also having trouble with a wolverine. It even hit their camp over the holidays. Trail cutting goes faster with a pard.
Looking forward to more pics.

Re: Team V - 01/15/24 04:32 PM

No conibears are some we all ready had out . In total when done we should have roughly have around 160 miles of line and takes 2 days to run some sections we are not running yet we kinda do it in sections. We have ran it completely before but it takes about 15 hrs and lots of gas . So now we run it half and back track then run next half next day . If make complete loop by the end of day you are so burnt your set quality starts to go down hill . Back tracking is not to bad because you are just flying on way back because you have checked everything . I think we have gotten at about 40 marten on 2 runs but still have a ton to set to open up . Opening up a new line is taking up some time but hopefully it pays off . Kinda cool seeing all the old sets and resetting them hopping the old trapper would be glad some one is putting it to use . Some day this will probably end and the line will grow over but for now it still producing. There is a old cabin about half way but is so bad not worth fixing. In a given year we put about 3500 miles on a snow go . This new line we will run it for about a month then pull off and move to another section for a month till we have covered most of it . At the end we will start pushing wolf ,cats and Wolverine heavy once the caribou move out some because wrestling caribou is getting a little harder as you get older . I figure I have about 5 more years then I am done. I have lived the Alaskan dream. At that point I will let partner take over and find some one new or pass it on .

Re: Team V - 01/15/24 05:51 PM

If it's the trail I'm thinking James Baisdon ( sp. ) trapped that from your side and Brian Aspland aka Doug Dill came in from the other side. Good country for sure.................................

Re: Team V - 01/15/24 06:27 PM

That looks like some productive country ! That wolverine always is nice to see

Re: Team V - 01/15/24 07:03 PM

Good to see you out there and back at it! Congrats on the fur and look forward to seeing more pictures and reading of the adventures!

Re: Team V - 01/15/24 08:14 PM

Victor#0 it most likely is . It is pretty cool to see the old stuff we plan on busting a bunch of it out on next run . Looks like good marten country.

Re: Team V - 01/15/24 08:46 PM

Great to see new posts from you Team V. You be posting anything to YouTube this year?

Re: Team V - 01/15/24 08:59 PM

I'm happy to hear your making use of it as it's a historical trail, originally it was a winter mail trail put in around the very early 1900's and then later the miners used it. Can you believe at one time they even took 18 wheelers over that trail!!!! The state is fighting the Park service over the RS2477 right away for the section that runs through the preserve, ran into the state guys that were out there this summer mapping the RS2477 right aways and gave them some info. We picked up most of Doug Dills traps but there were some that were sets that he used that predated him. I forget the guys name that trapped it before Doug but he worked as a winter caretaker out there and he was using stump sets. We found a number of them where he would spike a 4 to 5" pole about two feet long to the side of a tree and then saw a cut into the tree and hammer the trap ring into the cut. The trap was placed on the stump and bait attached to a nail on the side of the tree above the stump. Found a number of old cabin remnants out there, pretty neat to think about what it was like in the old days. We used to use the old miners cabins but they are in pretty poor shape. [Linked Image]
Posted By: Oh Snap

Re: Team V - 01/16/24 02:25 AM

Doug Dill now there's a name from the past.

Re: Team V - 01/16/24 03:04 AM

Victor you by chance ruffly no the last time it was trapped. Most all the poles are rotted and falling down so I presume it has been awhile.

Re: Team V - 01/16/24 06:29 AM

I think your pretty close and would guess 20 or so years ago. John Hendrickson and Jimmy Gelvin took it over from John Baisdon and they said it hadn't been trapped for about ten or so years before them but I'm not sure exactly when they took it over. I think they only went as far as the creek, maybe a couple miles past. For awhile they were going to the creek and then down the creek to Gordon Bertisons old cabin but quit running that stretch due to bad overflow. Some of the traps I've found over the years are form the 20's and 30's and no doubt have been transferred from trapper to trapper as the lines were sold. Hope you find some oldies out there. These old traplines have stories and names of those that came before us, I've tried to write things down after talking with some of the oldtimers so that the history doesn't die and so I can pass it on. Sadly these old timers are leaving us but even sadder is that no one is filling in the void and there is a lot of empty country out there now. Glad you guys are breathing life back into that old trail........................................

Re: Team V - 01/16/24 08:55 PM

Good luck trapping! Neat seeing the old sets and line. Good to know some of you know a bit of the history of the line. Too bad it can't all be recorded and read about.

Re: Team V - 02/21/24 04:53 AM

Had to make a 3 week trip to Mexico so trapping partner had to run with out me. Ended up picking up 3 wolves one with a collar and a few marten. Back now getting ready to run till end of March this year. [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Team V - 02/21/24 05:54 PM

Good to see you survived Mexico. LOL. That black sure is pretty!

Re: Team V - 03/11/24 06:00 AM

Hit the line over the weekend and was a little busy. And another one with a collar [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Team V - 03/11/24 06:26 PM

Nice! You are doing awesome on the wolves! Congrats!

Re: Team V - 03/11/24 07:46 PM

Wow, quite a haul! you could have won the Iditarod with that team!

Re: Team V - 03/12/24 11:27 PM

Originally Posted by smalltimetrapper
Wow, quite a haul! you could have won the Iditarod with that team!

That’s funny smalltime!
I’ll assume the park service is responsible for that collar?

Re: Team V - 03/13/24 12:55 AM

Already turned 2 collars in this year told them if they keep collaring them I will keep bringing them back. Got some good information on both . The black one from a couple weeks ago was collared 3 years ago and has been going between a large and a small pack but has not moved to much pretty much stayed in same general area. The gray one was collared 2 years ago and is part of the big pack 18 to 20 that moves through are area once and awhile. But they gave me some info on other packs in area . Also said Wolverine are down this year .

Re: Team V - 03/13/24 05:52 AM

Awesome catch!
Posted By: teacherman

Re: Team V - 03/14/24 01:16 AM

See your temps end of next week! Going to turn into a giant lake of overflow up north.

Re: Team V - 03/14/24 03:52 AM

Great job Jon.

Re: Team V - 03/31/24 02:02 PM

Well it is done brought home another 8 wolves this weekend. All the gear pulled and now on to bears. Was a good year in total picked up 19 wolves a Wolverine and I think 74 marten and wiped out 3 snow goes pretty much . At the end me and my partner were riding some pretty clapped out machines I think it is time for some new ones . We also pic up are 3rd collard wolf this year. The 2 traps in pic is we were cutting trail and I went to cut a stump off and found a wire on bottom. So I started digging with axe and about a foot down found these 2 tied together.[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Team V - 03/31/24 02:15 PM

Good job on the wolves, you get more in one trip than I get all year.

Nice find, what are those traps?

Re: Team V - 03/31/24 02:34 PM

They were 2 number 2 victors.

Re: Team V - 03/31/24 03:35 PM

Great year on the wolves. Were the caribou out there most of the year?

Re: Team V - 03/31/24 04:06 PM

They came in in big numbers for about 2 weeks and moved on through. So we closedown the line till they moved out .

Re: Team V - 03/31/24 05:20 PM

Nice work Jon

Re: Team V - 03/31/24 10:12 PM

That's a pile of wolves, happy skinning!
Posted By: g smith

Re: Team V - 04/01/24 02:46 AM

Thanks for the ride .Hope you do well on the price.

Re: Team V - 04/02/24 05:57 PM

WOW thats a lot of wolves in one season! Sorry to hear about your sleds, but nothing last forever. Always enjoy finding old trapping sign and gear.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums