Home

asia extreme heat

Posted By: west river rogue

asia extreme heat - 04/14/24 10:50 AM

https://www.accuweather.com/en/weat...-its-not-going-away-anytime-soon/1640745
Posted By: waggler

Re: asia extreme heat - 04/14/24 02:28 PM

That kind of heat would kill me. However, the article says that the temperature now is 1.5 degrees warmer than the pre industrial average. Well, that may be due to climage, natural or possibly human caused, however it doesn't account for these extreme peaks in temperature.
I'm guessing natural causes. The article does hint that the actual cause could be el Nino.
Posted By: charles

Re: asia extreme heat - 04/14/24 02:32 PM

Much of our coffee comes from Vietnam and the heat wave is damaging the crop.
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: asia extreme heat - 04/14/24 04:50 PM

If there's no coffee there will be a food/gas shortage. Trucks will just stop.
Posted By: ky_coyote_hunter

Re: asia extreme heat - 04/14/24 05:34 PM

Imagine most down south could handle that heat...I've seen 106 with high humidity. 109 probably not much different.

106 in Vegas in 2012 with low humidity was a cake walk.

Re: asia extreme heat - 04/14/24 11:10 PM

Originally Posted by ky_coyote_hunter
Imagine most down south could handle that heat...I've seen 106 with high humidity. 109 probably not much different.

106 in Vegas in 2012 with low humidity was a cake walk.

asia keeps around 90% humidity at times 100% totally tropical and in the ring of fire. They are use to high heat and humidity but now with the humidity its too much. Most there dont have our luxuries of air conditioning.
Posted By: ky_coyote_hunter

Re: asia extreme heat - 04/15/24 02:22 AM

Gotcha WWR, summer relative humidity averages 91 in GA, 89 FL, 87-88 in W. KY (corn) but can go much higher. Deaths happen in every major heat spell, usually the elderly without air, who can't physically make it down to their cellar, or get somewhere cool.

Humidity at 100% happens, but not for long because rain is the usual result.

You can't sweat efficiently at extreme humidity, so it's no surprise it's killing the exposed Asian people ...And your right, not having access to climate control is especially hard on them.

We're 37th parallel sub-tropical here (same lattitude as death valley) but I think the biggest difference between that & tropical are the seasons are factored in. Summer however, is real close to tropical at times.
Posted By: Marty

Re: asia extreme heat - 04/15/24 02:24 AM

I am stocked up on coffee....
Posted By: lee steinmeyer

Re: asia extreme heat - 04/15/24 03:08 AM

I remember a heat wave in Ks in, I think the year was 58. I was just a kid, but there was no rain and the temps were the hottest I can ever remember. It was over 110, and I believe the high was 113 or 114. No one thought much about it, it was just hot and miserable! The farmers were all praying for rain, my dad included!
Posted By: Roy Greenfield

Re: asia extreme heat - 04/15/24 09:33 AM

During my year in Vietnam, we saw temps above 100. The humidity was higher the way it felt. Spending the tour in the jungle was brutal.
Made the monsoon seem a little more pleasant.
Roy

Re: asia extreme heat - 04/15/24 10:52 AM

oddest thing for me in S.E. Asia was no thermometers...nobody kept track. We just said its hot.
Posted By: jk

Re: asia extreme heat - 04/15/24 12:56 PM

WRR I never thought of that but you are right. I was there for ten years in the 70's, now the wind speed we all knew that but not the temp???
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: asia extreme heat - 04/15/24 01:22 PM

no way for me
Posted By: Mando

Re: asia extreme heat - 04/16/24 11:54 PM

Originally Posted by charles
Much of our coffee comes from Vietnam and the heat wave is damaging the crop.

I get my coffee from Jamaica.
Posted By: Mando

Re: asia extreme heat - 04/16/24 11:55 PM

Originally Posted by Roy Greenfield
During my year in Vietnam, we saw temps above 100. The humidity was higher the way it felt. Spending the tour in the jungle was brutal.
Made the monsoon seem a little more pleasant.
Roy

Thanks for your service.
Posted By: charles

Re: asia extreme heat - 04/17/24 12:13 AM

Was in Vietnam last May. Temps were high and people were wearing jackets to keep from tanning in the sun. Never knew there were so many motor bikes. Women would tie young two kids to them with a large belt while riding tandem, and a kid was often fast asleep. Women even wore gloves to avoid the sun.

Re: asia extreme heat - 04/17/24 12:35 AM

yup,same
Posted By: yukonjeff

Re: asia extreme heat - 04/17/24 03:58 AM

where I go in the Philippines has the most beautiful beach it looks like a postcard, with corals, fish and sea turtles can be seen just swimming off the beach, and on a hot day there will not be one person on that beach. All up in the shade.
Posted By: NEYotetrapper

Re: asia extreme heat - 04/17/24 04:09 AM

Originally Posted by west river rogue
oddest thing for me in S.E. Asia was no thermometers...nobody kept track. We just said its hot.

As Adrian Croinhaur (aka Robin Williams) best said it while impersonating Walter Cronkite in Good Morning Vietnam "Basically it's hotter than a snake's (This word is unacceptable on Trapperman) in a wagon rut."

Re: asia extreme heat - 04/17/24 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by NEYotetrapper
Originally Posted by west river rogue

As Adrian Croinhaur (aka Robin Williams) best said it while impersonating Walter Cronkite in Good Morning Vietnam "Basically it's hotter than a snake's (This word is unacceptable on Trapperman) in a wagon rut."

the 10th parallel has little comparison to heat in the usa. There is two seasons in philippines...rainy and dry. Vietnam doesnt carry the temps of philippines although extremely hot in central V.N. depending the seasons. . Thailand is the hottest in that latitude of 13 degrees off the equator. If you havent experienced s.e. Asia in the hot season you really have no idea. Theres alot of hot in the ring of fire. After the first yr i did away with air conditioning so my body would adapt. I know my first couple years I took about 6 cold showers a day then changed shirts as many times. After a few yrs my body acclimated and I could go back and forth from u.s. without any issues. I would land in Phoenix and it didnt feel hot because of the dryness. Here in Ohio 93 degrees felt almost cool to us. Now after 7 yrs back Im sure the heat and humidity there would kill me..(figuratively).
Posted By: Guss

Re: asia extreme heat - 04/17/24 11:14 AM

107 and people are complaining about the heat. Try living in Golden Shores were the heat got to 141.8 degrees back in the 90s.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums