Home

Garlic and bloodmeal

Posted By: 080808

Garlic and bloodmeal - 04/11/24 04:16 PM

Anyone used bloodmeal for garlic? If so ho much? Any garlic growing hints would be helpful.
Thanks
Posted By: warrior

Re: Garlic and bloodmeal - 04/11/24 04:41 PM

Haven't used blood meal but garlic like most alliums is a heavy feeder. I just sidedress with triple 10 this time of year. Don't know on amount just a thin band down the row.

To me the key, at least here, is depth and leaf count. The cooler the soil the longer they go before dying back. That is a real issue down here in our heat. I plant mine six inches deep back in the fall after Halloween. Mulching helps as well. And to make big bulbs they need lots of solar panels aka leaves. And one other thing none of the allium compete well so keep them clear of weeds. Though garlic is a far better competitor than their onion cousins.
Posted By: trapper les

Re: Garlic and bloodmeal - 04/11/24 04:45 PM

I till rotted down manure into the row....several wheel barow loads per row for my 150 bulb spot.....I get huge bulbs.
Posted By: Old pup

Re: Garlic and bloodmeal - 04/11/24 05:35 PM

Our soil pH is right at 7.0. No soil amendments. Planted middle of October and they're doing just fine so far.
Posted By: 080808

Re: Garlic and bloodmeal - 04/11/24 08:43 PM

Thanks. Any problem applying triple 10 and bloodmeal in small amounts together?
Posted By: beaverpeeler

Re: Garlic and bloodmeal - 04/13/24 10:54 PM

^^^No. Another high nitrogen (and cheaper) organic amendment is feather meal (12% N). And always consider adding some gypsum or other form of sulfur for your garlic. They need sulfur.
Posted By: minklessinpa

Re: Garlic and bloodmeal - 04/14/24 01:11 AM

don't plant till the dark of the moon in October!if you plant earlier the moon will pull the bulbs out of the ground! yes i married into a Italian family! great grandma was from the old country! i caught it every time i planted a garden! come july 4 generations would be in the garden harvesting, cleaning and braiding the garlic!
Posted By: Tactical.20

Re: Garlic and bloodmeal - 04/14/24 02:44 PM

Rabbits are scared of blood meal
© 2024 Trapperman Forums