Home

Bear camp 2024

Posted By: wws

Bear camp 2024 - 04/09/24 03:09 PM

So got camp set up for spring bear hunting this year, trailer is setting along a river in prime bear country. It’s about75 miles from home so leaving it there for the month.

[Linked Image]

Out looking around, we only have seen one pile of scat, elk,deer,and some boomer activity.

[Linked Image]

Checking out the cuts we might be a little early, have only heard of one bear being killed so far.

[Linked Image]

Lots of country to look over, should start seeing bears soon.

wws
Posted By: Lugnut

Re: Bear camp 2024 - 04/09/24 03:14 PM

Good luck!
Posted By: Vinke

Re: Bear camp 2024 - 04/09/24 03:16 PM

leave the keys so the crack head dont have to bust out the windows.

Re: Bear camp 2024 - 04/09/24 03:18 PM

It’s sitting in a private campground with caretakers, the campground is closed, but is letting me stay. Behind locked gates.
Posted By: Trapset

Re: Bear camp 2024 - 04/09/24 04:52 PM

Looks awesome, good luck!

Love the tripod. grin
Posted By: BernieB.

Re: Bear camp 2024 - 04/09/24 05:09 PM

Good luck keep the updates coming!
Posted By: Boco

Re: Bear camp 2024 - 04/09/24 05:19 PM

Nice set up,looks like great country to spot and stalk bears when they come out for the cabbage.

Re: Bear camp 2024 - 04/09/24 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by wws
It’s sitting in a private campground with caretakers, the campground is closed, but is letting me stay. Behind locked gates.

I know were you are at.
Leave a key…..,
Posted By: Mediocre Trapper

Re: Bear camp 2024 - 04/09/24 05:56 PM

Looks awesome I have to wait till September
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Bear camp 2024 - 04/09/24 05:59 PM

Looks Good

Re: Bear camp 2024 - 04/09/24 07:09 PM

I have several tripods, This one is fairly large, makes it so you can have it over a bank and still see good. The binos are 18x56 Kaibab's from vortex, you can count flower pedals at around 600 yards when on the tripod. The Sirui VA-5 fluid head sure is nice and smooth. Way better than a ball head. I also have a 12-40x60 Gold ring spotter. Just needing to find the bears. Had to come home to set some beaver traps on a filbert orchard today, still have to pay the bills.

wws
Posted By: walleyed

Re: Bear camp 2024 - 04/09/24 08:45 PM

Yogi & Boo Boo are in Big Trouble !!! eek

w
Posted By: Bruce T

Re: Bear camp 2024 - 04/09/24 09:15 PM

Good luck
Posted By: Trapper Dahlgren

Re: Bear camp 2024 - 04/09/24 10:05 PM

good luck keep us posted, can you buy bear permit over the counter??

Re: Bear camp 2024 - 04/09/24 10:43 PM

No it’s a draw system, give out lots so last year was my first try without getting a tag. I have not hunted them for about 10 years but used to all the time.

wws
Posted By: Jurassic Park

Re: Bear camp 2024 - 04/09/24 11:01 PM

Awesome! I love Spring bear hunting!
Posted By: backroadsarcher

Re: Bear camp 2024 - 04/09/24 11:40 PM

Good luck! Got my arm twisted so headed back to Canada the end of May again.

Re: Bear camp 2024 - 04/21/24 04:41 PM

Well a couple weeks into season and have not seen much yet. Have been out several times, found some good areas to keep checking. Thought I might snap a few photos for the guys that don’t get out as often as they used too. I have lots of time left so not giving up. Here we go.

[Linked Image]

Lots of new gates are being put up, I get it people trash the place. Still not right when there is a lot of public land behind them too.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

This is an old Sherif work camp, they have turned it into a veterans legacy center to help vets. They have a large garden area, piece and quiet.

[Linked Image]

The first wild Iris I have seen this year. Lots of Trilliums they have been out for a while.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

This place was looking good, behind a gate about 1/2 a mile in, river in the bottom, but if you look at the top right you can see the yarder pulling logs to the top. Too much activity.

[Linked Image]

Looks like someone got an elk last fall on that road !

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

This is the Siuslaw river I believe. Beaver peeler can core t me if I’m wrong, it’s up stream from clay creek campground.

Continued

Re: Bear camp 2024 - 04/21/24 04:56 PM

[Linked Image]

This is a ways back in, couple miles past a gate.

[Linked Image]

Small cougar track

[Linked Image]

Wester Oregon is thick timber country.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Poison Oak, don’t need that again this year. Looks nice and oily.

[Linked Image]

Gardner snake, we don’t have anything venomous around here except timber rattlers, and they are rare.

[Linked Image]

This is Roman Nose Lake, sits high up above the Siuslaw river. I’ll try and find some more pictures soon hopefully of bears.

wws
Posted By: Bruce T

Re: Bear camp 2024 - 04/21/24 04:57 PM

Nice pictures

Re: Bear camp 2024 - 04/21/24 04:57 PM

Oregon/Western WA/ Northern CA is definitely Gods country,,,,,, I am betting he is POd at what it is becoming....
Posted By: bucksnbears

Re: Bear camp 2024 - 04/21/24 05:00 PM

Nice ride a long.
Posted By: claycreech

Re: Bear camp 2024 - 04/21/24 08:40 PM

Any turkeys in that country?

Re: Bear camp 2024 - 04/21/24 09:29 PM

Seems I used to see some out around the work camp, it’s been years. 15 miles east and the cause lots of problems. The cats might keep them under control out here. Oregon has lots of turkeys and there range is expanding.

wws
Posted By: keets

Re: Bear camp 2024 - 04/22/24 01:18 AM

nice to see, thank you for sharing grin
Posted By: bucksnbears

Re: Bear camp 2024 - 04/22/24 02:07 AM

Originally Posted by claycreech

ROAD TRIP!! :

Re: Bear camp 2024 - 04/22/24 02:22 AM

Originally Posted by bucksnbears
Originally Posted by claycreech

ROAD TRIP!! :

I’ve got a buddy out there hunting right now.

Re: Bear camp 2024 - 04/22/24 02:26 AM

Used to be you could buy these bear tags over the counter, always thought it would be fun to trade hunts.

wws

Re: Bear camp 2024 - 04/22/24 02:34 AM

Originally Posted by wws
Used to be you could buy these bear tags over the counter, always thought it would be fun to trade hunts.

wws

Whatcha like to hunt?
I’d sure trade whatever we’d have to offer for a quality turkey spot!

Re: Bear camp 2024 - 04/22/24 04:51 PM

I’m not much of a turkey hunter, really wouldn’t know where to start. I have caught them in snares and 110’s, I always thought they were a big pain to deal with.

wws
Posted By: Muskratwalt

Re: Bear camp 2024 - 04/22/24 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by wws
I’m not much of a turkey hunter, really wouldn’t know where to start. I have caught them in snares and 110’s, I always thought they were a big pain to deal with.

wws

What were you after originally?
Posted By: Grandpa Trapper

Re: Bear camp 2024 - 04/22/24 08:58 PM

The river and lake looks like a nice place to fish for trout.
Posted By: beaverpeeler

Re: Bear camp 2024 - 04/22/24 09:18 PM

I discovered two turkey nests yesterday flailing on our farm. Didn't destroy either one and were in places I could leave alone. Probably opened up the spots enough predators will get them.

Re: Bear camp 2024 - 04/23/24 03:46 AM

Update, just bought a PhoneScope. Will work with my binoculars, ordered an optic adapter for my spotter too. Can’t wait to get back out and try it out. Till then I have bats, nutria, opossums, raccoons,and skunks to deal with. Saturday can’t get here fast enough.

wws

Re: Bear camp 2024 - 05/21/24 06:48 PM

Up date, had a couple weeks that didn’t go as planned. Went out with my wife, camping is always different with the wife. Pull into camp raining out, start putting things together and get bbq going, wife extends the camper awning and all the rain water dumps right into the Weber Smoky Joe! Great start. Get it back going.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Wake up to no power to the fridge? Go out looking around decide to head to a small town for propane, just not seeing anything for sign. Back to camp, see some elk.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Well not a propane issue, I guess the Honda 2000i gave up. So call it a weekend, head up the coast have lunch at a favorite clam chowder space.

Looking for a new generator, really would like the Honda 3200i, should power the trailer a/c. Find a Wen 4000 for $250 on Craigslist, decide just buy it so we can get back out. Last weekend weather was great, headed out everything seems to be working. Starting to see bear sign finally.

[Linked Image]

Looking into units but have yet to find a bear, did see some birds working over a carcass

[Linked Image]

Seen a guy on a little dirt bike he has seen a few, either too far away or just running across the road. We seem to be in the right areas just wrong time. Flowers are out, wife likes that. Hoping to get some bat work done in the next couple days and get back out.

[Linked Image]

Wild Columbine.

[img]https://trapperman.com/forum/attachments
/usergals/2024/05/full-57883-218382-img_1188.jpeg[/img]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

My wife on upper landing.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Some big country!

Maybe another day?