Home

Ohio mink snare.

Posted By: obaugh

Ohio mink snare. - 04/08/24 01:20 AM

Ohio requires a deer stop or a break away. Does this sound crazy. 3/64 1x19 loaded snare..Thru “trial and error” come up with the right “mash” utilizing vice grip self locking pliers for the stop against the lock. I figure 20 to 30 lbs should be more than sufficient break away For mink and muskrat.
Posted By: MChewk

Re: Ohio mink snare. - 04/08/24 12:41 PM

Not really.... consider entanglement as a factor for the break away.
Posted By: newtoga

Re: Ohio mink snare. - 04/08/24 01:03 PM

3/64 cable should have a breaking strength under Ohio’s requirement and not need a break away.
Posted By: obaugh

Re: Ohio mink snare. - 04/08/24 09:35 PM

Going to trust my thoughts, as I enjoy making snares anyway. I’m I was thinking someone has done this concept before? I want the weakest link against the lock, so nothing is wearing a bracelet. Hope to send some pics come trapping season. Break away is a huge concern considering coon, beaver, and coyote, but considering mink..making a snare with enough tension would not be any different than than the feel of setting an earth anchor.
Posted By: Ohio Wolverine

Re: Ohio mink snare. - 04/08/24 10:02 PM

I don't agree with your assessment , what I know is that 1/16 cable breaks at around 285 pounds. So Ohio law at 350 is a good snare without a deer stop.
Correct me if I'm wrong , as it's been awhile since setting snares for mink and muskrat.
Loved snaring them.
Loaded snare, two fingers high dead center in the trail/path.
If in the snow, set anywhere on the path same way.
Posted By: Ohio Wolverine

Re: Ohio mink snare. - 04/08/24 10:11 PM

Must add secure the snare for bigger animals than deer.
Staked for just coon, is a bad idea. Deer will pull it and have a bracelet .

Same with any animal that will pull more than the stake will hold.
Posted By: MJM

Re: Ohio mink snare. - 04/09/24 12:34 PM

I used a home made BAD on snares I made. We have to have a BAD and can not use smaller then 1/16h cable. I used 7x7 1/16th and used a link out of a roll of single jack link chain. It was number 16 single jack link. I snared mink with them. It comes in all different working load limits.
Posted By: SNIPERBBB

Re: Ohio mink snare. - 04/09/24 02:16 PM

if you dont like the idea of cable as a BAD, which im leery of legally, you can use the small hog rings they sell for closing rabbit cages or hamburger bags.
Posted By: Half ton

Re: Ohio mink snare. - 04/09/24 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by newtoga
3/64 cable should have a breaking strength under Ohio’s requirement and not need a break away.

Doug let me know this years ago and have never had a problem. I snare over grown hi bank trails and along the waters edge and had coon knock them down, Not saying its not possible but have never caught a coon.
If you are still concerned about it, get the Amberg Release ferrules (https://www.snareshop.com/prodinfo.asp?number=SPAMRF) from the snare shop and use them. You will need the swagger also.

Russ
Posted By: OhioBoy

Re: Ohio mink snare. - 04/09/24 05:59 PM

Why not just use a deer stop?
Posted By: SNIPERBBB

Re: Ohio mink snare. - 04/09/24 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by OhioBoy
Why not just use a deer stop?

Deer stops would render a mink snare worthless.
Posted By: OhioBoy

Re: Ohio mink snare. - 04/09/24 06:26 PM

Oh. For mink. Gotcha. People snare mink? dang.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums