Home

Eclipse predicted to cause gridlock

Posted By: Squash

Eclipse predicted to cause gridlock - 04/02/24 03:44 PM

In my area DOT officials are predicting gridlock on the highways, emergency services , cell coverage, and fuel availability. Heck they are even going to shut down some streets and bridges for pedestrian viewing. Unbelievable people are so obsessed with this. The county is opening the fairgrounds for food trucks etc..

What a freaking cluster this is going to be.
Posted By: Foxpaw

Re: Eclipse predicted to cause gridlock - 04/02/24 05:15 PM

I saw on tv the other nite that hotels that usually get $80 are now costing $400 if you can find one.
They are saying no parking alongside the highway. A guy near here has a sign saying $60 parking.

Hope they don't get rained out. My biggest excitement will be watching the chickens and their reaction.
Posted By: patrapperbuster

Re: Eclipse predicted to cause gridlock - 04/02/24 05:53 PM

Here in NW PA the total eclipse will be at 3:15 - 3:20 pm.
There will be a 10* drop in temperature
Posted By: Macthediver

Re: Eclipse predicted to cause gridlock - 04/02/24 06:00 PM

I see a post on FB yesterday must have been April fools. Said be sure to bring your pets inside so they don't look at the eclipse hurt their eyes. I could see maybe animals have some sense of it happening. But I think only humans are dumb enough to intentionally stare at it and blind them selves.

Mac

"Never Forget Which Way Is Up!"
Posted By: KeithC

Re: Eclipse predicted to cause gridlock - 04/02/24 06:25 PM

My sister and her family were going to go to my mom's home for the eclipse, because she is closer to the center than my sister's home. The small town my mom lives in announced they were closing streets for the eclipse and the news services have been saying there will be massive gridlock in Ohio. They are advising people to travel the day before, or the day after the eclipse. My sister and her family have decided to stay home and experience a minute less of the eclipse.

I find it hard to believe there will be that many more people around here. If we see 3 cars in a row, we call it a traffic jam. If I just closed my eyes and turned out of my driveway onto my street, drove to the end and then ran the stop sign onto the state highway, 99% of the time I wouldn't hit anyone.

Keith
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: Eclipse predicted to cause gridlock - 04/02/24 06:41 PM

I wonder if it will get fish to biting?
Posted By: loosegoose

Re: Eclipse predicted to cause gridlock - 04/02/24 06:44 PM

Its not as exciting as it's made out to be. We had a big party for the last one, and the food was the best part. I was expecting it to be pitch black like midnight, and it was more like a very cloudy day during totality. It was still a neat experience though.
Posted By: TurkeyWrangler

Re: Eclipse predicted to cause gridlock - 04/02/24 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by loosegoose
Its not as exciting as it's made out to be. We had a big party for the last one, and the food was the best part. I was expecting it to be pitch black like midnight, and it was more like a very cloudy day during totality. It was still a neat experience though.

Well darn. That's kind of what I was expecting too. I live right on the line so at least I don't have to travel to be disappointed.

I really don't expect it to be as crazy around here as they think. Yea people are coming from around the world but it's a huge area across the country that they can see it from. I just don't see every little town being jam packed.
Posted By: warrior

Re: Eclipse predicted to cause gridlock - 04/02/24 07:23 PM

I don't understand why this one is going crazy. Maybe because it's passing over or close to more major metro than usual.

I took in the last one that passed over Georgia. Had to go up to Rabun County to get into the path of totality. They were saying that one would draw crowds of folks from Atlanta so we headed to the national forest campground as far in as I could get. We were within half a mile of the Appalachian Trail.

The campground did fill up but not horribly so and on the day of the eclipse it emptied out as everyone went to Clayton for the big street party. We had the place to ourselves. I heard afterwards that Clayton was kind of rough getting in and out until well after dark.

Thought about going to this one as my BIL is on the edge of it in western Kentucky. From there it would be a simple matter to find a quiet spot on Corps of Engineer land. But that SIL of mine is enough to turn away anyone.
Posted By: jeff karsten

Re: Eclipse predicted to cause gridlock - 04/02/24 07:58 PM

So when is this glorious event
Posted By: warrior

Re: Eclipse predicted to cause gridlock - 04/02/24 08:08 PM

Next week, the 8th.
Posted By: Larry Baer

Re: Eclipse predicted to cause gridlock - 04/02/24 08:24 PM

My Brother is in charge of the festivities in SIU Carbondale IL. I went to see the first one a few years ago. It was interesting but I'll pass on this one. It took me 10 hours to drive 4 hours because of all the people. Traffic was stopped on the interstate. not a crawl- stopped. At the last one there were druids and creeps doing things and praying to the eclipse god. It was weird. I'll just see it from here.
At full eclipse right under it when you look at the sun the sun appears to be black but you see a halo around a black circle. The horizon was just like immediately after the sun sets - but the whole horizon is that way. Some robins were singing like as dusk. Seeing the sun with a black center made it look like hole in the sky. I could see why ancient people thought something was going to come out of the ''hole '' in the sun. That part was unforgettable.
Posted By: Cragar

Re: Eclipse predicted to cause gridlock - 04/02/24 08:29 PM

Where I am located , I will see 92% of totality. Not a full total eclipse but real good. If I was to drive 3 hours north I could see 100%.

I'm going to stay here , good enough. The cheap seats......lol laugh
Posted By: Trapper7

Re: Eclipse predicted to cause gridlock - 04/02/24 08:36 PM

Sounds like what was said when we changed from 1999 to 2000. Life on earth would be chaotic. Computers would crash unable to handle the change to the year 2000.
Posted By: Fishdog One

Re: Eclipse predicted to cause gridlock - 04/02/24 08:54 PM

Took my daughter and kids down to MO in 2017 to see it, I was retired for a week. The gridlock will be right after the eclipse, once it ends the people want to get home, before most people are in town early.
Posted By: Crowfoot

Re: Eclipse predicted to cause gridlock - 04/02/24 08:55 PM

Ha, yeah T7 ... Y2K !
A lotta weirdos came out of the woodwork on that one.

Some made a buncha money on it too !
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Eclipse predicted to cause gridlock - 04/02/24 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by danny clifton
I wonder if it will get fish to biting?

I'm right about ground zero with a river in the back yard. If it ain't raining I may just see.
Posted By: walleyed

Re: Eclipse predicted to cause gridlock - 04/02/24 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by Squash
In my area DOT officials are predicting gridlock on the highways, emergency services , cell coverage, and fuel availability. Heck they are even going to shut down some streets and bridges for pedestrian viewing. Unbelievable people are so obsessed with this. The county is opening the fairgrounds for food trucks etc..

What a freaking cluster this is going to be.

Gridlock on Tug Hill Plateau ?

Kind of hard to imagine that happening in
Oneida, Lewis. Jefferson, or Oswego Counties ? laugh

I'll have to remember to gas up the truck on Sunday night !!!

w
Posted By: Turtledale

Re: Eclipse predicted to cause gridlock - 04/03/24 12:08 AM

Widespread panic ......shutter your windows, bring in your pets, stock up on TOILET PAPER!!!!!
Posted By: Squash

Re: Eclipse predicted to cause gridlock - 04/03/24 01:24 AM

Monday, The state will lock down the prisons , not allowing visitations and prisoners have to stay inside. Tonight’s local news stated several inmates are now suing NYS for not allowing them to view the eclipse. LOL
Posted By: randall brannon

Re: Eclipse predicted to cause gridlock - 04/03/24 03:24 AM

Originally Posted by Squash
Monday, The state will lock down the prisons , not allowing visitations and prisoners have to stay inside. Tonight’s local news stated several inmates are now suing NYS for not allowing them to view the eclipse. LOL

Sucks to be punished for Crimes. Should have done their crime in NY city.
Posted By: run

Re: Eclipse predicted to cause gridlock - 04/03/24 04:58 PM

I see the gridlock almost every other day just the daily grind. I'm afraid I'm going to miss the eclipse because I live outside of the path.
Posted By: Broomchaser

Re: Eclipse predicted to cause gridlock - 04/03/24 06:11 PM

The reason this is going nuts is because a growing number of people are IDIOTS!
Posted By: Posco

Re: Eclipse predicted to cause gridlock - 04/03/24 06:27 PM

My town sits in the epicenter of the event and they're predicting 10,000-20,000 visitors to view it. There's only 6,000 residents. Can't wait.
Posted By: Trappin Arkansas

Re: Eclipse predicted to cause gridlock - 04/03/24 10:15 PM

I’m in the totally eclipse zone right here in Dover Arkansas gonna sit on my new porch and enjoy the show then off to work trying to make money to buy more traps and trapping supplies
© 2024 Trapperman Forums