Home

How to keeping track of what lure is on what set

Posted By: That.darn.coon

How to keeping track of what lure is on what set - 03/31/24 11:28 PM

How do you guys keep track of what lure is at what set
Posted By: EdP

Re: How to keeping track of what lure is on what set - 03/31/24 11:53 PM

I kept a written log of set location, kind of set, when set, what trap, bait, lure and catches. A little tedious but came in handy and helped on the learning curve of what worked. A good set of abbreviations helps.
Posted By: Mortz

Re: How to keeping track of what lure is on what set - 03/31/24 11:55 PM

Get a note book and keep a log of sets . I used to do that all the time. Lure,bait, trap type, set type, location, catches anything you don’t want to trust to memory.
Posted By: wetdog

Re: How to keeping track of what lure is on what set - 04/01/24 01:03 AM

Originally Posted by Mortz
Get a note book and keep a log of sets . I used to do that all the time. Lure,bait, trap type, set type, location, catches anything you don’t want to trust to memory.

This.
And the weather conditions. Or anything I see that needs remembering from the day
It will seem like a lot of extra time with a pen in your hand, but it's worth it
End of the season I go over all of it and write the information in a composition table
I save the small notebooks as well
Posted By: Foot Tickler

Re: How to keeping track of what lure is on what set - 04/01/24 01:21 AM

I agree with the notebook however sometimes I'm mixing it up so much that I like to put sets in and jot notes down later. So in that case I'll just take a quick pic with my phone of the set and bait/lure so I won't get mixed up. Another thing I do is write details on the lids or labels when I can of it's components so I can keep mixing it up on the line. Here is a pic of an example as well as a catch from that set a short time later. And as you can see from the pic I sometimes toss a DP in the mix to nab coons or possums before they get into my yote sets. Works sometimes.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: 8117 Steve R

Re: How to keeping track of what lure is on what set - 04/01/24 01:48 AM

a good record helps if you get a stolen trap, to know what brand it was
Posted By: Mac McAtee

Re: How to keeping track of what lure is on what set - 04/01/24 02:05 AM

I use OnX Hunt. Pin trap location and fill in the data that I want to know about the set. Adding a photo of the set is also available.
Posted By: SNIPERBBB

Re: How to keeping track of what lure is on what set - 04/01/24 02:28 AM

I take pics too of my land sets. Water sets, i pretty much use just the same bait/lure. Dont take the phone out to take pics of water sets with your phone unless youre safely on shore with teh phone..or use a gopro-type camera
Posted By: 2poor

Re: How to keeping track of what lure is on what set - 04/01/24 11:23 AM

Colored golf tee is what I was taught. Always placed in a predefined location like one step ahead and 2 steps left.
Posted By: Lugnut

Re: How to keeping track of what lure is on what set - 04/01/24 11:50 AM

I keep a notebook with me in the field and scribble notes and diagrams at each set that is then transferred to my logbook at home.
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: How to keeping track of what lure is on what set - 04/01/24 12:02 PM

Put out a line with all the same lure. Its the only way to test one. Too many variables to use several different ones in an attempt to evaluate them.
Posted By: Macthediver

Re: How to keeping track of what lure is on what set - 04/01/24 12:37 PM

When I was running strictly a coon line I used one lure on everything. Notes I kept were more about number of sets and location. Hard to remember where everything is when you have out large numbers of traps. Harder when you start moving them around.
When I do k9 sets its usually 2 or 3 to a location. What lure is on each is just a single letter in the location notes. I was never good at taking notes in highschool. So my note pad I keep would be pretty hard for someone else to figure out. For me it was more about keeping track of traps than what lure.

Mac

"Never Forget Which Way Is Up!"
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: How to keeping track of what lure is on what set - 04/01/24 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by Foot Tickler
I agree with the notebook however sometimes I'm mixing it up so much that I like to put sets in and jot notes down later. So in that case I'll just take a quick pic with my phone of the set and bait/lure so I won't get mixed up. Another thing I do is write details on the lids or labels when I can of it's components so I can keep mixing it up on the line. Here is a pic of an example as well as a catch from that set a short time later. And as you can see from the pic I sometimes toss a DP in the mix to nab coons or possums before they get into my yote sets. Works sometimes.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Good idea
Posted By: 20scout

Re: How to keeping track of what lure is on what set - 04/01/24 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by Mac McAtee
I use OnX Hunt. Pin trap location and fill in the data that I want to know about the set. Adding a photo of the set is also available.

I do this as well as a notebook as a backup should I lose or damage my phone. Pictures also help locate my sets with heavy snow.
Posted By: bblwi

Re: How to keeping track of what lure is on what set - 04/01/24 05:37 PM

I don't run real long lines for canines, but here is what I do. I number traps at each location based on which leg, like 1-1, 1-2 1-3 that is first line and a trap number. I then number my different lures starting with 1. Say I use 5-6 lures. It would read like 1-1-1 or 1-2-4 etc. When I pulled and set the 2nd line it would be 2-1-1 etc. Not so much to write down. I did add with our without urine. I almost never use bait so that was not an item for me.

Bryce
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: How to keeping track of what lure is on what set - 04/01/24 06:43 PM

If you use multiple lures, what do you do for a change up? Especially since most lures are the same stuff. 2-3 lures and a couple baits are plenty
© 2024 Trapperman Forums