Home

Southern food guys

Posted By: gcs

Southern food guys - 03/28/24 08:58 PM

My wife recently found a can of Hominy in Walmart, We have never had Hominy but I knew what it was, she looked up recipes and came up with something the other day....
Plain its tasteless, by the time it was cooked up with all the ingredients it was edible, and sorta grew on you but I'm thinking a hard pass for any more, lol

Got any hints or advice on that stuff? grin
Posted By: Guss

Re: Southern food guys - 03/28/24 09:38 PM

I make it like cream of wheat put milk and honey. I know that's not the way the Southern make it but I like it .
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Southern food guys - 03/28/24 09:44 PM

Not a big hominy fan out of a can but the homemade stuff is good eatin'. Can't help you with a recipe though but maybe someone will chime in.
Posted By: Wanna Be

Re: Southern food guys - 03/28/24 09:46 PM

Is that like grits? Never heard of it.

Re: Southern food guys - 03/28/24 09:58 PM

Gather it's also a Mexican thing, the can was bilingual
Posted By: Savell

Re: Southern food guys - 03/28/24 10:04 PM

… I remember having it as a side sometimes with deer meat

… the mescins make a soup called pazole with it … I also think they put it in menudo
Posted By: varmintshooter

Re: Southern food guys - 03/28/24 10:07 PM

Theres Grits and then there’s magnum grits (Hominy).
Hominy been around as long as grits. Theres a reason you have not heard of them.
Grits are just better
Posted By: warrior

Re: Southern food guys - 03/28/24 10:31 PM

Hominy really isn't a southern thing other than grits.

Bigger deal in mexican cooking.

Was a thing among southern Indian tribes as Sofkee. Lots of place names in Georgia/Florida have sofkee or variation of in the name.

Wanna Be, hominy is field corn soaked in lye or wood ash to peel off the kernel husk. It also converts proteins in the germ in a process called nixtamalization. Once soaked it can be dried and then ground into grits or meal.

Actually better for you as southerners historically suffered from the vitamin deficiency pelegra due to eating so much cornbread from corn that had not been converted to hominy first. This is why all corn meal sold today has the word enriched on the bag as it has the vitamins added.
Posted By: yotetrapper30

Re: Southern food guys - 03/28/24 10:53 PM

There's also a difference between canned hominy, and hominy grits. Hominy grits is what Warrior described. Canned hominy is eaten like a vegetable... with lots of salt and butter. It's the soaked and de-husked corn, undried.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Boco

Re: Southern food guys - 03/28/24 11:20 PM

Homos eat that.
Thats why its called Homony.
Posted By: Leftlane

Re: Southern food guys - 03/28/24 11:37 PM

You seem to know a lot about all that! grin
Posted By: JoMiBru

Re: Southern food guys - 03/29/24 01:14 AM

Manning’s white Hominy is what I roast my ducks on top of. The duck drippings mix into it well to make a great dish alongside a fat wild mallard
Posted By: AntiGov

Re: Southern food guys - 03/29/24 02:39 AM

I eat lots of Mexican food , ain't never had no hominy . Ain't gonna neither .
Posted By: warrior

Re: Southern food guys - 03/29/24 03:55 AM

Originally Posted by AntiGov
I eat lots of Mexican food , ain't never had no hominy . Ain't gonna neither .

I think it's used mostly in making masa or tamale flour but I've also seen it added to soups much like you might do with beans or vegetables.
Posted By: Lufkin Trapper

Re: Southern food guys - 03/29/24 03:57 AM

Originally Posted by Savell
… I remember having it as a side sometimes with deer meat

… the mescins make a soup called pazole with it … I also think they put it in menudo

I take a can of hominy, put half a stick of butter, pepper it heavy and eat it warmed up in micro-wave. I add a can to my beef/vegetable soup. Savell is right about putting it in menudo---good stuff.
Posted By: Scott__aR

Re: Southern food guys - 03/29/24 04:08 AM

Had it served with breakfast once, while down South for work, never again! Tasteless was an understatement.
Posted By: trapperbruce

Re: Southern food guys - 03/29/24 04:11 AM

pozole is where we use hominy.google authentic mexican pozole

https://youtube.com/shorts/ETMpxNxfVAg?si=ecb5ZLfyFp51G2fV is 1 version of useing hominy

Re: Southern food guys - 03/29/24 02:16 PM

Thanks all, I figured it's basically a filling starch where you don't have potatoes, lol.
The hot sauce on it made it a little more palatable.... grin
Posted By: Jurassic Park

Re: Southern food guys - 03/29/24 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by Boco
Homos eat that.
Thats why its called Homony.

I agree! Keep that crap south of the border! Lol
Posted By: beaverpeeler

Re: Southern food guys - 03/29/24 07:22 PM

Pozole with some pork swimming around in there is pretty fair fare, thought I'd share.
Posted By: ABeardedTrapper

Re: Southern food guys - 03/29/24 07:33 PM

I’ve had it pickled , it was ok. Eric
Posted By: Fisher Man

Re: Southern food guys - 03/29/24 09:29 PM

It is awful.
Posted By: run

Re: Southern food guys - 03/30/24 12:46 PM

I might have to try some hominy just to tick off Boco and Jurassic Park.
Posted By: Drifter

Re: Southern food guys - 03/30/24 01:08 PM

I like hominy every once in awhile. I think every region has something to offer. How many know what a tenderloin from the midwest is?

One thing I have no desire to stick into my mouth is boiled okra. My Grandmother thought it was good.
Posted By: Aix sponsa

Re: Southern food guys - 03/30/24 03:10 PM

I use it for 2 dishes. Pozole and taco soup.

I lightly season pork cut into bite sized pieces with Cajun spice blend. I add a chopped onion and two cans of drained hominy per each 1 - 1.5 lb of pork and boil it in several quarts of water/chicken broth until the pork is cooked and the onions are wilted. I add a can of enchilada sauce per and additional mexican spices by taste, usually some chili powder and a pinch of cumin, but taco or fajita seasoning blend would be fine. I like it served over rice, good cornbread goes with everything. It's a very simple soup, but I sure like it.

Taco soup, I usually like a can of drained hominy per every 2 cans of other vegetables with browned ground beef, taco seasoning blend, and ranch seasoning.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums