Home

Question for the NY trappers

Posted By: Trap Setter

Question for the NY trappers - 03/28/24 12:44 PM

I have a nephew in New York who love all things outdoors. He went to a science fair this year and they had all the furbearers from the state. He called me as soon as he got home and was talking about a mile a minute, so excited. Anyhow I was looking for something trapping related he could go to this summer with my brother, his dad. Do any of you know an event near New Windsor?
Posted By: mike mason

Re: Question for the NY trappers - 03/28/24 12:51 PM

The NY Trappers Convention is labor day weekend.
Posted By: N.Roberts

Re: Question for the NY trappers - 03/28/24 01:25 PM

NYSTA is a great organization

Re: Question for the NY trappers - 03/28/24 01:40 PM

I'll look into the convention. I guess I was wondering if the nysta has a booth they set up and any other events where he can see fur and talk to trappers from the state. My brother isn't a trapper bit likes going with me if I have a line out when he comes home for a visit. His son is wild for fur and animals in general not to just kill them but has bird feed stations out and takes notes on what comes to eat and which birds and animals like what feed. He is only 8 but I'd like to foster his interest in all things natural. I plan on sending him a few of my trail cams to do some picture trapping around his house at his feed stations. Just looking for something he and his dad can do to kill a couple hours in the summer that are fur related without having to go too far from home.
Posted By: mike mason

Re: Question for the NY trappers - 03/28/24 02:47 PM

You can get all that at the convention.

Re: Question for the NY trappers - 03/28/24 04:16 PM

I know you can. Where is the convention held at? Not much info on the association page just says check back.
Posted By: Fisher Man

Re: Question for the NY trappers - 03/28/24 04:46 PM

NYS Trappers convention held at Herkimer County Fairgrounds, Frankfort, NY on Labor Day weekend. Friday is usually the best day.
Posted By: walleyed

Re: Question for the NY trappers - 03/28/24 04:54 PM

NYSTA sponsors the Patricia Arnold youth trapper's training camps
which are held each year around NY state.

I'd contact NYSTA for more information.

w

Re: Question for the NY trappers - 03/28/24 05:34 PM

Thanks I'll let him know. Looks to be about 3 hours away, not to far for a weekend or even a day trip.
Posted By: Steve D

Re: Question for the NY trappers - 03/28/24 06:22 PM

Here are a couple of links to obtain some information. The first one is a list of upcoming trapper education courses. Just put in his zipcode to get the closest to him: https://register-ed.com/programs/new_york/128-new-york-trapper-education-course

The second link is info on the licensing requirements and also contains links to other information.
https://dec.ny.gov/regulatory/permits-licenses/sporting-and-use/sporting/trapping.

Little valley usually has a nice event but that is even farther for him.
The Trapper magazine also list all the trapping clubs in Pa. which looks like it would be closer for him.

He could also reach out on this forum and possibly be steered in the right direction : https://nytrappers.proboards.com/
Posted By: whartonrattrappe

Re: Question for the NY trappers - 03/28/24 08:54 PM

I see New Windsor is in Orange county. The Orange county trappers association is the best county association in the state. They have a great website you can check out.

Re: Question for the NY trappers - 03/28/24 10:02 PM

Ok cool!
Posted By: Steve D

Re: Question for the NY trappers - 03/28/24 10:06 PM

[Linked Image]

Re: Question for the NY trappers - 03/29/24 01:53 PM

Thanks guys! I sent a message to the Orange County trappers and my brother is seriously considering going to the PA convention. He has been having a hard time finding good outdoor clubs that fit his values as a conservationist and this may just fit the bill, and the nephew should enjoy the introduction to this side of recreation as well.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums