Home

Why make bacon in the oven

Posted By: Leftlane

Why make bacon in the oven - 03/28/24 02:29 AM

I can think of 3 things I decided I will do this again. Any guesses?

[Linked Image]
Posted By: ~ADC~

Re: Why make bacon in the oven - 03/28/24 02:33 AM

Better for your weak little tummy when you eat way too much of it in one setting? laugh
Posted By: newfox1

Re: Why make bacon in the oven - 03/28/24 02:36 AM

Only way to cook bacon
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: Why make bacon in the oven - 03/28/24 02:36 AM

Buddies wife makes a big batch at one time it’s flattened, cooked evenly and not as greasy by the time you eat it. Just one mess to clean up instead of several.
Posted By: Ohio Wolverine

Re: Why make bacon in the oven - 03/28/24 02:46 AM

Can think of a few, you now have bacon grease to save for future frying/cooking and the bacon is done without being too crispy in spots.

Re: Why make bacon in the oven - 03/28/24 02:49 AM

You can also , stop the cooking when you like the way it tastes, , and wrap in parchment paper keeping all the slices separate , and place in canning jars, and pressure can for future use.

Re: Why make bacon in the oven - 03/28/24 02:50 AM

All good points (with the exception of the Iowegian's hurtful comment.

1) the bacon is perfect
2) I have harvested a months worth of bacon rendering for greens ect
3) I got some fresh tomatoes from a lady at church who has a green house- BLTs take about 3 mins now!

Jerry you are right- only 1 clean up.

Re: Why make bacon in the oven - 03/28/24 02:51 AM

I did decide that the bacon elevated on a wire rack is best. No dobbing needed and cooks quicker.
Posted By: Sharon

Re: Why make bacon in the oven - 03/28/24 02:53 AM

Looks good, Hoss. I love using the oven for perfect floppy bacon.
Posted By: Chancey

Re: Why make bacon in the oven - 03/28/24 02:54 AM

Hoss,
You are going to have to fill me in on the secret of cooking bacon in the oven and why?
Every strait thinking Texan knows that bacon was made for the frying pan.

Take the bacon out, put it on some rags to mop of the grease, and then use the grease in the pan to put on the dog food or make some lure with.

Re: Why make bacon in the oven - 03/28/24 02:54 AM

Yeah Sharon
I like it chewy too!

Chauncey on the rack, 400 degrees and maybe 15 mins. If u let it go longer its crunchy. I ended up with some maple syrup bacon and the barn cat got every bit of that grease on dry food. I'm sure it would work great for coon but they are worth less than cat food right now.
Posted By: minklessinpa

Re: Why make bacon in the oven - 03/28/24 02:55 AM

i used to work at a college, that is how they cooked it there. i'd get a 5 gallon bucket every day!
Posted By: Jurassic Park

Re: Why make bacon in the oven - 03/28/24 02:59 AM

Lefty, do you have to flip the bacon at all?
Posted By: Chancey

Re: Why make bacon in the oven - 03/28/24 03:02 AM

Originally Posted by Leftlane
Yeah Sharon
I like it chewy too!

Chauncey on the rack, 400 degrees and maybe 15 mins. If u let it go longer its crunchy. I ended up with some maple syrup bacon and the barn cat got every bit of that grease on dry food. I'm sure it would work great for coon but they are worth less than cat food right now.

Ha! Ain't that the truth! Last coon that brought money for me was a 36" green hide for $8bucks!

You learned me something. I am going to try the bacon-oven thing.

Re: Why make bacon in the oven - 03/28/24 03:05 AM

Originally Posted by Jurassic Park
Lefty, do you have to flip the bacon at all?

Yes flip after 10 or 12 mins on a cookie sheet JP but on the rack no flip needed. It will basically be ready at about the same time.
Posted By: Sharon

Re: Why make bacon in the oven - 03/28/24 03:05 AM

It’s great both ways, a cast iron skillet or oven. Except with the oven , the bacon cooks more evenly. Love cooking with saved grease , too. You’ve got some good BLTs coming, Hoss.
Posted By: houndone

Re: Why make bacon in the oven - 03/28/24 03:08 AM

The biggest thing I like about doing in the oven is doesn't splatter and get hot grease on you when turning in a pan.

Re: Why make bacon in the oven - 03/28/24 03:16 AM

Yeah I quit frying bacon in in my skivies back in college. Not even bacon is worth the risk.
Posted By: Raghorn67

Re: Why make bacon in the oven - 03/28/24 03:19 AM

My favorite way to cook bacon.
Posted By: Preacherman Les

Re: Why make bacon in the oven - 03/28/24 04:15 AM

Now take some of that bacon grease and pour over some fresh pulled leaf lettuce, cut radish, green onion, bacon crumbled and oh my. Taste bud delight.
Posted By: Boco

Re: Why make bacon in the oven - 03/28/24 04:21 AM

Best way to cook thick sliced bacon.
Posted By: GROUSEWIT

Re: Why make bacon in the oven - 03/28/24 11:42 AM

Depends on thickness of bacon, 15 minutes at 400 will give you chewy bacon, 20 to 25 minutes will give you crispy bacon, 30+ min is when your smoke alarms off!

Another option:

Transfer out of pan onto paper towels and let cool and then freeze it with wax paper in between layers, after making your eggs and toast, put two or three pieces on paper towel and microwave for 30 seconds and you're good to go!

LL, that wire rack will make it even less greasy for you thanks for that idea.
Posted By: Muskrat

Susan has been baking bacon for years now. So much cleaner. .a sheet of aluminum foil covers the pan. When finished, I pinch the end of the foil to make a spout and pour the fluid into a peanut butter jar we keep in the freezer. This is used to fill the suet feeder to keep the woodpeckers happy.

[Linked Image]

Posted By: run

Interesting way to cook bacon.
Posted By: 2poor

Re: Why make bacon in the oven - 03/28/24 11:58 AM

Alternative to using a bacon press on my Blackstone .
Posted By: Guss

Re: Why make bacon in the oven - 03/28/24 12:34 PM

It comes out way better in the oven then pan.
Posted By: waggler

Re: Why make bacon in the oven - 03/28/24 12:37 PM

I like doing it in the micro wave.
Posted By: jalstat

Re: Why make bacon in the oven - 03/28/24 12:45 PM

Jealous of you getting fresh tomatoes in March lol looks great

Re: Why make bacon in the oven - 03/28/24 02:18 PM

Yeah fresh tomatoes right now are hard to come by.

Grousewit the rack cooks those strips in way less time than on the cookie sheet. And they do not need any dobbing up with the paper towels- they ate clean. Thank u all for the tips, next batch I will try the freezing trick for my creation!
Posted By: Muskrat

Re: Why make bacon in the oven - 03/28/24 02:21 PM

Susan buys extra thick bacon and says it takes a half hour. Just out of the oven.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: mike mason

Re: Why make bacon in the oven - 03/28/24 02:40 PM

I use parchment paper in the turkey pan, does a bunch of bacon. Grease gets drained and paper goes in waxed 1/2 and 1/2 container for fire starter. No mess.
Posted By: midlander

Re: Why make bacon in the oven - 03/28/24 03:24 PM

Bacon in the oven is bordering on straight up communism....dang southern folk smile

Re: Why make bacon in the oven - 03/28/24 03:29 PM

Because I have made a friend or 2 in Alpina (and only because) I will let that comment slide.
Posted By: CTRAPS

Re: Why make bacon in the oven - 03/28/24 04:29 PM

I've got a buddy from MO, and his wife makes it in the oven, but she dredges the bacon in a little seasoned flour. Then bakes it. That's some good stuff too.
Posted By: midlander

Re: Why make bacon in the oven - 03/28/24 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by Leftlane
Because I have made a friend or 2 in Alpina (and only because) I will let that comment slide.

grin
Posted By: Green Bay

Re: Why make bacon in the oven - 03/28/24 11:33 PM

We have been doing it that way for almost 30 years. Comes out perfect every time.
Posted By: Trapper Dahlgren

Re: Why make bacon in the oven - 03/29/24 10:37 AM

my wife cooks for the schools, and they cook about 10 pounds of bacon a week, I get all the grease smile
Posted By: trapdog1

Re: Why make bacon in the oven - 03/29/24 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by Chancey
Hoss,
You are going to have to fill me in on the secret of cooking bacon in the oven and why?

Take the bacon out, put it on some rags to mop of the grease, and then use the grease in the pan to put on the dog food or make some lure with.

Take the bacon out of the pan and then fry eggs in it. No better eggs to be had.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Why make bacon in the oven - 03/29/24 11:21 AM

looks Great

I boil mine in its own fat...in a saucepan. Take it out before it is crispy...soft and chewy but; yours looks better.
Posted By: Gary Benson

Re: Why make bacon in the oven - 03/29/24 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by Muskrat
Susan has been baking bacon for years now. So much cleaner. .a sheet of aluminum foil covers the pan. When finished, I pinch the end of the foil to make a spout and pour the fluid into a peanut butter jar we keep in the freezer. This is used to fill the suet feeder to keep the woodpeckers happy.

[Linked Image]

Great idea!

Re: Why make bacon in the oven - 03/30/24 11:22 PM

Here's a video on canning bacon, once you oven bake it.
This is bought already cooked, so remember you need parchment paper, and once cooked line it up on the paper as it is in the video.
Fold it the same way, and roll it up to fit the jars.
Process at the pressure for your area for 75 minutes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBIbPA1XEVE
Posted By: ack

Re: Why make bacon in the oven - 03/30/24 11:26 PM

Dredge that bacon through brown sugar and black pepper then twist it tight before the oven.
You will thank me later.
Posted By: Steven 49er

Re: Why make bacon in the oven - 03/30/24 11:54 PM

Originally Posted by Chancey
Hoss,

My favorite way to cook bacon is on the pellet grill, second is in the oven it turns out perfect every time and is quicker.

Like LL, when the maters are ready I'll cook a couple pounds of bacon on the weekend and quick BLTs at work. Of course one has to use a toaster that's 40 years old to get the best toast.
Posted By: Bob_Iowa

Re: Why make bacon in the oven - 03/31/24 01:31 AM

If I'm doing a bunch I'll use the oven but in the morning its the cast iron pan for that, one thing on feeding to cats my uncle did that and he fed them too much and in his words he couldn't get within 30 feet of their backside. grin
Posted By: Lugnut

Re: Why make bacon in the oven - 03/31/24 11:57 AM

The wife and I have been making bacon on parchment paper on a cookie sheet in the oven forever. It’s the only way we do it anymore.

The grease gets drizzled over dog food. The dogs love the bacon too!
Posted By: vermontster

Re: Why make bacon in the oven - 03/31/24 12:08 PM

We cook our bacon in the oven but not fully cooked. we only cook about 3/4 done then we bag it and freeze it. Then it cooks quickly in the pan when needed. We do this especially for hunting and family gatherings.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums