Home

Virginia Turkey hunters

Posted By: bass10

Virginia Turkey hunters - 03/26/24 08:11 PM

Hi all, my son and I are heading to Virginia this year to chase the thundering gobblers. Any tips or in sight? We usually go on the cheap with free camping and quick, cheap meals. I
am thinking the Washington/Jefferson National Forest area for the public hunting?
Posted By: cotton

Re: Virginia Turkey hunters - 03/26/24 08:54 PM

I hunt the Jefferson some or did before getting all stove up.
Some days you'll have the mountains to yourself and sometimes it seems you're hunting in a small town.
Posted By: ABeardedTrapper

Re: Virginia Turkey hunters - 03/26/24 09:24 PM

Bass, What area of VA you heading too. Eric
Posted By: Tony1967

Re: Virginia Turkey hunters - 03/26/24 10:31 PM

We hunt the Washington national forest south of the town of Monterey. Tough hunting as there are not a lot of birds. Some years it’s a success if we just hear a few. Normally only run into other hunters the first couple days. My advice is do some scouting, be patient and get away from roads.

Re: Virginia Turkey hunters - 03/26/24 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by ABeardedTrapper
Bass, What area of VA you heading too. Eric

Well we are scouting all day Friday so it really depends on our brief scouting efforts and we can hopefully find some birds?

Re: Virginia Turkey hunters - 03/26/24 10:46 PM

Originally Posted by Tony1967
We hunt the Washington national forest south of the town of Monterey. Tough hunting as there are not a lot of birds. Some years it’s a success if we just hear a few. Normally only run into other hunters the first couple days. My advice is do some scouting, be patient and get away from roads.

Well they are breaking records with birds taken and they have a 3 bird limit so there’s birds somewhere in
The state. Most states are cutting back on things?
Posted By: JTfromWV

Re: Virginia Turkey hunters - 03/26/24 10:51 PM

Turkey population seems high this spring. Rockingham, Augusta, Highland, Bath, Rockbridge, and Allegheny counties should all have plenty of birds.
Posted By: Swamp Wolf

Re: Virginia Turkey hunters - 03/26/24 11:01 PM

Georgia's population is struggling in many parts of the state. Im fortunate to have access to 5 private tracts. Won't be as easy to kill one as it was a decade ago, but maybe I can pull it off.

Starts this Saturday, March 30th.

Re: Virginia Turkey hunters - 03/27/24 07:57 PM

Well I better be hearing birds. We will scout hard in evenings when the season starts. Any advice on where to get away from people there. This will be opening weekend so its gonna be pressured.
Posted By: Tony1967

Re: Virginia Turkey hunters - 03/27/24 09:12 PM

We hunt Bath county, so not sure where you will be. I’m not saying there aren’t birds there but they can be tough to find where you won’t be covered up in other hunters. I think the southern part of the state has a lot more turkeys than the northwest where we have a camp.
Posted By: JTfromWV

Re: Virginia Turkey hunters - 03/28/24 01:04 AM

We hunt Bath county, so not sure where you will be. I’m not saying there aren’t birds there but they can be tough to find where you won’t be covered up in other hunters. I think the southern part of the state has a lot more turkeys than the northwest where we have a camp.

If I had to pick some areas in Bath county to hunt with no scouting they would be west of route 220. The first spot would be about 13 miles south of Monterey. There is an old CCC road that turns next to the Bratton farm and goes up on Back Creek Mountain. A lot of forest service roads with plenty of places to park or camp. If all of the gates are open you can drive all of the way to route 39 depending on trees across the road. The second spot would be about 18 miles south of Monterey. Star Chapel (Poor Farm) road turns west off of 220 and goes back and dead ends along the Jackson river. Fairly easy hiking along the river all the way to Hidden Valley. A good spot to Turkey hunt in the morning and trout fish in the afternoon. If you scout Friday you want to do it early. The wind should be gusting 40-50 mph in the afternoon. Will make hearing gobblers difficult.
Posted By: run

Re: Virginia Turkey hunters - 03/28/24 11:46 AM

I haven't seen wild turkeys in national forest land . We do have land close to George Washington national Forest in Page County.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums