Home

New game cart

Posted By: D.T.

New game cart - 03/23/24 09:22 PM

I built myself a new game cart. I got no problem packing my meat on my back and when I guided I sure liked the help of a stubborn mule or three, but I dont do that anymore. After last years elk that was a considerable way in I told myself to find a better solution. I saw this design on another site. Its not mine, but I did add my own flare to it.

Ingredients:
20” tire (free at the community cycle shop)
1” sqaure aluminum tube with 1/8” sidewall
A bunch of 5/16” bolts and nuts
Some lengths of 2” webbing with a ladder lock.

Turned out pretty good. I think ill be able to double my carried weight down the trail and might even help for hauling beaver or something else? I could go deeper into the build if anyone cares.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: wws

Re: New game cart - 03/23/24 11:55 PM

A friend had on that had a brake on it, sure was nice on the downhills.

wws
Posted By: dustytinner

Re: New game cart - 03/24/24 02:07 AM

Very nice!
Posted By: Scott__aR

Re: New game cart - 03/24/24 02:28 AM

Looks like it will make things easier to haul.
Posted By: Scout1

Re: New game cart - 03/24/24 03:02 AM

I really like the one wheeled ones. Very helpful in steep, rough areas.

Re: New game cart - 03/24/24 02:48 PM

Im happy with it. I towed my brother around. A lot easier than carrying him. Thinking of putting a break on the vertical by the wheel. The season is a long ways away but itll be fun to fill this thing up.
Posted By: w side rd 151

Re: New game cart - 03/24/24 03:14 PM

Putting a wheel or 2 under a average size deer makes the going a lot easier and faster Getting s deer /bear elk of hatever is the reason we hunt But the drag ,carry, haul on a cart is not the most enjoyable part of the hunt.
Posted By: snowy

Re: New game cart - 03/24/24 04:18 PM

I see a lot of out of state people use them here. I have not been around one or have I used one, but they seem like it would be a horrible experience. Be like pushing a wheelbarrow over rough country up and down and through sage etc.. I'm sure they work but looks like too much work and effort.

We pack out on backs or horse and an extra trip in and out is easier than pushing a wheelbarrow around in the mountains. WOW!

Re: New game cart - 03/24/24 05:39 PM

Well I dont have any stock to use anymore and though ive carried plenty out on my back, im down to use something easier. The elk I shot last year totaled around 270lbs that in all had to be carried 7 miles. It was three trips and if you ever REALLY had a 90 lb pack its a bear (im not saying you havent). I know this would have helped. Also, i put a strap between the handles to go over the shoulders. The guys I have talked to really like the setup so im going to try it out. Its not going to be for every animal, and my stone glacier is probably good for 50 more packs lol but my back thinks otherwise. Maybe ill update when some poor body gets a ride!

Re: New game cart - 03/24/24 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by D.T.
Well I dont have any stock to use anymore and though ive carried plenty out on my back, im down to use something easier. The elk I shot last year totaled around 270lbs that in all had to be carried 7 miles. It was three trips and if you ever REALLY had a 90 lb pack its a bear (im not saying you havent). I know this would have helped. Also, i put a strap between the handles to go over the shoulders. The guys I have talked to really like the setup so im going to try it out. Its not going to be for every animal, and my stone glacier is probably good for 50 more packs lol but my back thinks otherwise. Maybe ill update when some poor body gets a ride!

I sure hope it works out great for you. I see a lot of them around and I'm sure they do fine. No matter how a guy gets them out it is all work to get the same results.

I did forget to say it looks like a great build/idea you have done. Good Luck D.T.
Posted By: 3togo

Re: New game cart - 03/24/24 07:03 PM

Did you put Loctite or something similar on all of the threads????
Posted By: gcs

Re: New game cart - 03/24/24 07:07 PM

Might be better to pull it like a travois...with a harness.

Re: New game cart - 03/24/24 08:35 PM

Ill plan on pulling it behind me with the strap over my shoulders. When i was pulling around my kid (40#) i didnt even have to use my hands

Didnt want to locktite. Bolts are on with lock washers and lock nuts. I might disassemble to take back on first trip in or storage.
Posted By: BernieB.

Re: New game cart - 03/25/24 12:07 PM

Seems like it would be really hard to get the load balanced enough to make it work. Small things like beaver, yes. A deer? Might be a problem.

Re: New game cart - 03/25/24 01:48 PM

If you can bone out the animal at the kill site you'll save a lot of weight and it won't be that awkward to load...
Posted By: Sullivan K

Re: New game cart - 03/25/24 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by BernieB.
Seems like it would be really hard to get the load balanced enough to make it work. Small things like beaver, yes. A deer? Might be a problem.

That is what I thought. It looks like it would be a struggle to keep balanced.

Re: New game cart - 03/25/24 02:36 PM

Probably why the game carts I've seen are 2 wheeled....

Re: New game cart - 03/25/24 03:29 PM

This thing is a game changer not kidding.

Re: New game cart - 03/25/24 03:44 PM

That might work good in MN where it is as flat as flapjack and can see 60 miles in any direction from one spot.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: New game cart - 03/25/24 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by gcs
Probably why the game carts I've seen are 2 wheeled....

mine is a 2 wheeled cart

practice with a heavy load to simulate and make sure you like it

Re: New game cart - 03/25/24 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by snowy

That might work good in MN where it is as flat as flapjack and can see 60 miles in any direction from one spot.

Ye of little faith. A little skip through the woods looks fine. Im talking about being miles back. Like miles miles. In the mountains. Where it isnt flat. I know it looks tippy but i carted the wife around last night and its great. I bent the frame by the wheel to lower the center of gravity too. Ill be able to shuttle 150lb easy in one go. Just looking to make it easier and quicker when going back in for the next load.
Posted By: ~ADC~

Re: New game cart - 03/25/24 07:07 PM

D.T. looks like it should pull just fine, especially if you get the meat balanced well and strapped on. Good job. It'll be nice and compact to get through smaller spots and no trouble to carry in dissembled.
Posted By: hippie

Re: New game cart - 03/26/24 09:40 AM

I made one very similar years ago for going back in when I hunted W.V. the only difference is I used a wheelchair wheel for the extra ground clearance and no chance of it going fat.
Posted By: SNIPERBBB

Re: New game cart - 03/26/24 10:15 AM

I see a lot of out of state people use them here. I have not been around one or have I used one, but they seem like it would be a horrible experience. Be like pushing a wheelbarrow over rough country up and down and through sage etc.. I'm sure they work but looks like too much work and effort.

We pack out on backs or horse and an extra trip in and out is easier than pushing a wheelbarrow around in the mountains. WOW!

I used to think that but they make hauling deer out a lot easier, You dont push the carts, you can but pulling is pretty easy. The big wheels make going over rocks, small trees laying on the ground a lot easier. I use em to haul trappign gear when I got long walks where I cant take a vehicle back there. You can put a jet sled on it and pull it that way and you dont even have to attach the sled in any way.
Posted By: hippie

Re: New game cart - 03/26/24 10:30 AM

Gated roads is where they shine.
Posted By: Kevin Colpetzer

Re: New game cart - 03/26/24 01:19 PM

[Linked Image]
I got a 500 lb cow in Pa this year. Used a deer cart to haul her out. It worked but I wouldn’t recommend it
Posted By: SNIPERBBB

Re: New game cart - 03/26/24 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by Kevin Colpetzer
[Linked Image]
I got a 500 lb cow in Pa this year. Used a deer cart to haul her out. It worked but I wouldn’t recommend it

how round are your wheels now? lol

Re: New game cart - 03/26/24 01:23 PM

Axel is bent and that was carts last trip
Posted By: Yes sir

Re: New game cart - 03/26/24 01:25 PM

I've hauled a few mule deer out on a 2 wheeled game cart. Found it much easier to pack them out.

Re: New game cart - 03/26/24 01:42 PM

i haven't really used it much in Minnesota, but I have used it out west and also in several states while whitetail hunting. Don't knock it until you have tried. it.

And by the way if you think Minnesota is all flat, you need to come for a visit sometime!!!!

Re: New game cart - 03/26/24 10:58 PM

^ Barnie I'm glad it works for you, that is great.
Posted By: Aix sponsa

Re: New game cart - 03/27/24 01:36 PM

I like it, thanks for sharing. Here, I'd probably use a wheelbarrow tire due to soil conditions, but it's still nice when getting and keeping the load balanced.

Re: New game cart - 03/27/24 04:55 PM

[Linked Image]
What I’ll be using from now on

Re: New game cart - 03/27/24 09:32 PM

I love those things. It keeps the people in the lowlands and the mountains clear for the strong legged! whistle
[Linked Image]
Bernie. I hunt here. Little steeper than MN

Just jabbin’ back lol
Posted By: AntiGov

Re: New game cart - 03/27/24 10:18 PM

I like the looks of that design ,with the wheel out on the end and a low center of gravity

I've never used one , and not sure I would ever want to pack an elk out whole, but that design looks like it would work well for a disassembled elk
© 2024 Trapperman Forums