Home

Rockit Apples

Posted By: elsmasho82

Rockit Apples - 03/19/24 06:13 PM

Have you ever tried them? They’re a smaller sized Apple, not overwhelming, excellent crunch and somewhat sweet flavor! Downside? Expensive!!
Posted By: AntiGov

Re: Rockit Apples - 03/19/24 06:16 PM

Never heard of them

I like gala , and pink lady
Posted By: elsmasho82

Re: Rockit Apples - 03/19/24 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by AntiGov
Never heard of them

I like gala , and pink lady

I like those too. I can’t stand red and yellow delicious. They’re mushy
Posted By: Moosetrot

Re: Rockit Apples - 03/20/24 02:27 AM

Haralsons are my favorite. Early October is coming.....

Moosetrot
Posted By: mad_mike

Re: Rockit Apples - 03/20/24 02:29 AM

Are they a regional thing? Never heard of them, guess I will exercise my search bar.
Posted By: midlander

Re: Rockit Apples - 03/20/24 02:33 AM

Gala and honey crisp are good, but I'm a sucker for a plain ol McIntosh.....
Posted By: yotetrapper30

Re: Rockit Apples - 03/20/24 03:01 AM

I've seen em but never wanted to cough up the money for em.
Posted By: KeithC

Re: Rockit Apples - 03/20/24 04:08 AM

I never heard of Rockit apples before. I looked them up. The.trees are patented and not available for retail sale in the US, though there are some North West, US Coast growers now. It would nice to get some prunings from those trees to graft.

I want to add some more fruit trees this Spring.

Keith
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: Rockit Apples - 03/20/24 04:31 AM

Arlet
Snow sweet
Crimson Crisp
Ginger gold

were my favorites of 2023

the same apple can have a different flavor from year to year based on the growing conditions.
going to the same orchard each fall I sample a bunch as part of the treat of getting really good apples , then I buy my favorite of that week as varieties change in availability all season.
Posted By: Lugnut

Re: Rockit Apples - 03/20/24 10:50 AM

I like a hard, sweet apple. Honey Crisps are my favorite.l I buy them from a local orchard. Braeburns are a close second.

I use Winsaps in my apple-venison sausage because they are one of the last varieties to ripen here in PA and are usually one of the few still available by the time I start making sausage.
Posted By: Bob_Iowa

Re: Rockit Apples - 03/20/24 02:33 PM

Never heard of them here I like the ones the FFA sales here, they’re a hard red Washington apple that’s all the box say’s.
Posted By: Trapper7

Re: Rockit Apples - 03/20/24 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by Lugnut
I like a hard, sweet apple. Honey Crisps are my favorite.l I buy them from a local orchard. Braeburns are a close second.

I use Winsaps in my apple-venison sausage because they are one of the last varieties to ripen here in PA and are usually one of the few still available by the time I start making sausage.

I'm like you. I like a hard, sweet apple too. The best I've found are Fuji, crunchy, sweet, and not that expensive. I don't like a tart apple.
Posted By: T-Rex

Re: Rockit Apples - 03/21/24 01:38 AM

Most apples are pretty good.

Just crush'm, press'm adda bitta yeast and time.
Posted By: Trapper7

Re: Rockit Apples - 03/21/24 03:22 PM

The American Apple Association rates Fuji apples as the third most popular apple in the US behind Red Delicious and Gala.
Posted By: 160user

Re: Rockit Apples - 03/21/24 10:41 PM

Honey Crisps are my favorites but I have 3 different varieties of new trees that rival them. I can't remember the names and honestly, I am too lazy to put on my boots and walk out and look at the tags. All three were crunchy and sweet.
Posted By: AntiGov

Re: Rockit Apples - 03/21/24 10:49 PM

Man , IDK a red delicious apple has gotta be the nastiest apple ever
Posted By: 160user

Re: Rockit Apples - 03/21/24 11:40 PM

Originally Posted by 160user
Honey Crisps are my favorites but I have 3 different varieties of new trees that rival them. I can't remember the names and honestly, I am too lazy to put on my boots and walk out and look at the tags. All three were crunchy and sweet.

OK, I caved. There were 3 of these 4 that I really liked, I just don't remember which was which. None were bad, but 3 of them rivaled Honeycrisps.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Rockit Apples - 03/22/24 02:34 PM

All good apples^^^
Posted By: Eyehi

Re: Rockit Apples - 03/22/24 02:46 PM

Local orchard here had zestar apples last year, they were pretty good but I still prefer the honey crisp…
Posted By: Skin em

Re: Rockit Apples - 03/22/24 03:23 PM

Anyone try a sweetango fresh from the tree usually ripe 15-20th sept cross of Honeycrisp X Zestar ,, U of m did blind taste tests honeycrisp versus Sweetango 70 per-cent prefer sweetango over honeycrisp ,, when they didn't know the name
Posted By: 2poor

Re: Rockit Apples - 03/22/24 05:30 PM

Sweet tango is my favorite.
Posted By: ScottW

Re: Rockit Apples - 03/24/24 12:25 PM

I know one thing, AG is right…….Red Delicious are the the nastiest apple available!

Looks like Rockits are a cross between Gala and Splendor apples being bred since 1989 in New Zealand.

So many good apple choices of which many described above. One I haven’t heard mentioned you aren’t going to find in the store but many folks grow is the sweet sixteen.

Happy trapping! ScottW
© 2024 Trapperman Forums