Home

Smart Canine Help

Posted By: LB67

Smart Canine Help - 03/18/24 02:09 PM

Hello trappers, I am new to the trapping world, and I hope to learn from your experiences. I have been trying to catch a couple of coyotes that I get regular pics of for about 4 months. I caught one in that spot, but since then they just bypass the trap. I have tried setting two traps about 30 feet apart and using different baits/lures to no avail. The location is on a recent firebreak. I have had the traps removed for the past month and I get photos of them checking the old bait holes. I use a step down dirt hole set. I am in the Lee County, AL area. Thanks for sharing.
Posted By: Yes sir

Re: Smart Canine Help - 03/18/24 02:19 PM

Hard for a coyote not to check out good urine and a turd. I'd try it in a different location too. After that blind sets and snares are good medicine for the ones that are on to the game.
Posted By: Golf ball

Re: Smart Canine Help - 03/18/24 02:35 PM

If they are still visiting they can be caught. When you say checking the old bait holes, are they digging, just nosing ? Please explain what you see them doing .
Posted By: nate

Re: Smart Canine Help - 03/18/24 10:27 PM

OG
Mafia

Re: Smart Canine Help - 03/19/24 01:17 AM

They typically nose around. I did see one instance of light digging. Where can I find an example of a blind set?

[Linked Image]
Posted By: forestman3

Re: Smart Canine Help - 03/19/24 01:37 AM

A blind set is just putting a trap where they are walking and no bait or lure or urine are used.
Posted By: Yes sir

Re: Smart Canine Help - 03/19/24 01:40 AM

Originally Posted by forestman3
A blind set is just putting a trap where they are walking and no bait or lure or urine are used.

As in a narrow trail so they have to step in it walking down the trail. The skill part comes in with the blending and subtle guiding so they have no idea anything is up.

Re: Smart Canine Help - 03/19/24 02:04 AM

I will try the blind set. Thanks
© 2024 Trapperman Forums