Home

I'm probably an idiot... Osage orange

Posted By: slydogx

I'm probably an idiot... Osage orange - 03/17/24 07:59 PM

Well, back in November, I found a hedge apple tree on the farm I hunt. I figured I'd like to start me a few Osage trees from seed as I'd had good success before with the 2 dozen seeds I planted.
Of course, back then I lived on an acre and a half and had some space...
[Linked Image]

Let's see how this goes. These all cold stratified over winter in a bucket full of leaves.
Posted By: patrapperbuster

Re: I'm probably an idiot... Osage orange - 03/17/24 08:14 PM

You're going to corner the market on Osage smile
Good luck!
Posted By: Providence Farm

Re: I'm probably an idiot... Osage orange - 03/17/24 09:10 PM

Plant them so they will grow straight. In 80 years my grand kids will need fence post an wood for some bows.
Posted By: forestman3

Re: I'm probably an idiot... Osage orange - 03/17/24 09:16 PM

How do you get that ball to look like seeds like that ?

Re: I'm probably an idiot... Osage orange - 03/17/24 09:52 PM

Forestman3
You let the fruit sit over winter then pull it apart any take out seeds. Very messy job.

Re: I'm probably an idiot... Osage orange - 03/17/24 09:57 PM

Does it turn you hands color like walnuts? I picked some of the seed balls up a few years ago for the 4 h forestry class. I red just grind them up into a past take a stick make a small furrow in the dirt about a half inch and xput the past in the crack and that's how the old timers made hedge rows. Then with some weaving and bending of branches as they grow you could make an effective fence to keep in live stock.

But that just something I read and have no idea if it's true or accurate.

Re: I'm probably an idiot... Osage orange - 03/17/24 10:15 PM

I mashed them into water and then used a colander to strain them. I assume that the gel slows germination like with tomatoes, so I washed it all off.
What you described would likely work though. I'm planting individual trees and distributing seedlings to friends, hunting permission properties, and offering some to the regional scout campground.
Posted By: Gary Benson

Re: I'm probably an idiot... Osage orange - 03/17/24 10:23 PM

Around here they rate right along with cedar trees, Russian olive, musk thistle..they will take over a pasture and ruin it if you don't keep after them.
Posted By: WhiteCliffs

Re: I'm probably an idiot... Osage orange - 03/17/24 11:09 PM

“In 1855, 1, 000 bushels of seeds of Osage orange seeds were shipped from Texas and Arkansas to Illinois at as much as $50 per bushel.”

https://www.uaex.uada.edu/yard-garden/resource-library/plant-week/osage-orange.aspx
Posted By: redsnow

Re: I'm probably an idiot... Osage orange - 03/17/24 11:38 PM

About the same as autum olives.
Posted By: Bob Jameson

Re: I'm probably an idiot... Osage orange - 03/17/24 11:45 PM

Plant them as a wind break, fence line and property boundaries.
Posted By: Yes sir

Re: I'm probably an idiot... Osage orange - 03/18/24 12:50 AM

They are a hardy tree that can spread quite well and I kill hundreds of them a year but I like them. Very strong dense wood that's great for burning.
Posted By: BTLowry

Re: I'm probably an idiot... Osage orange - 03/18/24 12:58 AM

Didn't know anyone planted those intentionally laugh

Make good fence posts and bows

I have a friend that found some posts that were in a certain type of soil (don't remember) and the posts took up minerals and things from the soil/ They call it green hedge and it makes some good looking duck calls. Also pretty pricey when you can find it

Re: I'm probably an idiot... Osage orange - 03/18/24 01:02 AM

How fast do they grow?

Re: I'm probably an idiot... Osage orange - 03/18/24 01:04 AM

I grew a few and they were fast growing. Probably a foot a year. Like a mulberry
Posted By: Gary Benson

Re: I'm probably an idiot... Osage orange - 03/18/24 01:13 AM

Originally Posted by Providence Farm
How fast do they grow?

I cut a hedge row in 1980 and they're just about too big to cut now.
The north and south rows grow straighter posts than an east to west row.. out farm had 3/4 mile of them.
Great firewood but you have to have a solid stove. They get HOT

Re: I'm probably an idiot... Osage orange - 03/18/24 01:18 AM

Originally Posted by Gary Benson
How fast do they grow?

The north and south rows grow straighter posts than an east to west row.. out farm had 3/4 mile of them.

I may just have to plant some. Would be a fun experiment to try to build a natural animal enclosure. I would have thought they were slow growing since they make such good fence post but black locust is fast and also good fence post and fire wood.

Re: I'm probably an idiot... Osage orange - 03/18/24 01:21 AM

Originally Posted by Gary Benson
How fast do they grow?

They grow back very fast when they already have an established root system.
Posted By: Drifter

Re: I'm probably an idiot... Osage orange - 03/18/24 12:42 PM

Someone found a good use or the a few years back

https://www.desmoinesregister.com/s...-alcone-cosmetics-walter-white/74272426/
Posted By: Orlando

Re: I'm probably an idiot... Osage orange - 03/18/24 12:53 PM

My experience is it takes 25-30 years for a new hedge tree to produce posts. Cut trees may produce posts a bit sooner. They make the best wood posts...but are earned - best to cut when it's cold and you can wear a lot of clothes for protection. If you are wanting posts, it is a nice trait they grow back. If not wanted to grow back, better hit them with some herbicide or you will have a mess.

They burn really hot, but in a campfire will pop a lot (keeps the fellow campers hopping). Squirrels like to eat the seeds while deer and cattle eat the leaves.

Osage Orange are one of my favorite trees, but can get out of hand.
Posted By: jalstat

Re: I'm probably an idiot... Osage orange - 03/18/24 12:57 PM

They burn hot but are explosive
Posted By: west river rogue

Re: I'm probably an idiot... Osage orange - 03/18/24 12:59 PM

I have a few trees. We bring the hedgeapple to the house to repel spiders etc.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: I'm probably an idiot... Osage orange - 03/18/24 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by slydogx
I grew a few and they were fast growing. Probably a foot a year. Like a mulberry

In Canada?

would they grow here in Minnesota??
Posted By: K52

Re: I'm probably an idiot... Osage orange - 03/18/24 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by Orlando
My experience is it takes 25-30 years for a new hedge tree to produce posts. Cut trees may produce posts a bit sooner. They make the best wood posts...but are earned - best to cut when it's cold and you can wear a lot of clothes for protection. If you are wanting posts, it is a nice trait they grow back. If not wanted to grow back, better hit them with some herbicide or you will have a mess.

They burn really hot, but in a campfire will pop a lot (keeps the fellow campers hopping). Squirrels like to eat the seeds while deer and cattle eat the leaves.

Osage Orange are one of my favorite trees, but can get out of hand.

I’ve always wondered how the squirrels could eat those seeds with all that sap. You’d think it would glue their mouth shut. There ought to be a market for the sap to use as a coating to put on work clothes, that is some tough stuff. You get it on your bibs it wears like iron.

Pro tip, if you burn it for firewood make sure to season it and you have a stove/fireplace and chimney that can handle the heat. It has one of the highest or the highest BTU’s of all wood. It burns HOT. Green hedge will produce creosote in a chimney that’s unbelievable if left unchecked. Being in the masonry trade for 49 years l’ve seen first hand what green hedge is capable of. Seasoned hedge is all I burn in my shop, I love it.

Re: I'm probably an idiot... Osage orange - 03/18/24 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by 330-Trapper

In Canada?

Remember that I am in the southernmost area of Canada, so much of Minnesota is to the north of me. I actually need to travel south to cross in to Detroit MI.

I found some information (USDA) that suggests it is NOT hardy in MN, SD, ND, Northern IA and MT.
Posted By: k snow

Re: I'm probably an idiot... Osage orange - 03/18/24 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by 330-Trapper

In Canada?

There are some osage in very SW Wisconsin. I would say extreme southern MN might be able to support them. But, one bad winter might do them in. It'd be a gamble.
Posted By: BernieB.

Re: I'm probably an idiot... Osage orange - 03/18/24 04:31 PM

You might be an idiot, but not from this. Have at it.
Posted By: WhiteCliffs

Re: I'm probably an idiot... Osage orange - 03/18/24 05:36 PM

[Linked Image]

Better have a good screen on your fireplace when burning. Looks like fireworks
Posted By: BigBob

Re: I'm probably an idiot... Osage orange - 03/18/24 06:45 PM

Hedge Apple fence rows can be made by using green OA for fence post', as they will take root and sprout! Many AO Wind break/fence rows here in Mo were started like that. The seed balls are an important food source for Quail, Turkey, Squirrels, and many other animals.

Re: I'm probably an idiot... Osage orange - 03/19/24 01:37 AM

Grilled some strips and filets with bacon on top over some Osage orange that as been seasoning for about a 100 years out on the range while keeping the cattle in. Reminded how much I like Osage orange. grin

Re: I'm probably an idiot... Osage orange - 03/19/24 02:39 AM

Got some 2" ribeyes going to be cooked this weekend over seasoned Osage Orange on an outdoor firepit. Yum Yum.

Re: I'm probably an idiot... Osage orange - 03/19/24 02:41 AM

Originally Posted by K52
Got some 2" ribeyes going to be cooked this weekend over seasoned Osage Orange on an outdoor firepit. Yum Yum.

All I need is an address.
Posted By: Flint Hill fur

Re: I'm probably an idiot... Osage orange - 03/19/24 02:59 AM

you ks guys quit with all this Osage orange talk..it's hedge. or if your an okie its bodark laugh

Re: I'm probably an idiot... Osage orange - 03/19/24 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by Flint Hill fur
you ks guys quit with all this Osage orange talk..it's hedge. or if your an okie its bodark laugh

Lol I didn't want to confuse the youngens. Sorry grin
Posted By: cotton

Re: I'm probably an idiot... Osage orange - 03/19/24 12:21 PM

farmers for miles around will be danged proud of ya for getting em started

Re: I'm probably an idiot... Osage orange - 03/19/24 12:36 PM

Those of us trying to sound just a little smarter than we are, use fancy terminology like "Osage Orange", when in reality we grew up calling them "hedge trees".

Kind of like - "It's time to plant corn when the leaves on the hedge trees are as big as a squirrel's ear".

Re: I'm probably an idiot... Osage orange - 03/19/24 12:41 PM

Dang, I just pulled and piled a quarter mile of hedge posts. I probably should cut them up for grilling wood. Just need to prepare to sharpen the saw a time or two.

Re: I'm probably an idiot... Osage orange - 03/19/24 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by Orlando
Those of us trying to sound just a little smarter than we are, use fancy terminology like "Osage Orange", when in reality we grew up calling them "hedge trees".

Kind of like - "It's time to plant corn when the leaves on the hedge trees are as big as a squirrel's ear".

that last one still holds. have heard that one my whole life. them ol posts work on a chain even if you don't hit a staple but man the btu's is unreal. hard to burn any white wood after experiencing hedge heat
Posted By: farlow

Re: I'm probably an idiot... Osage orange - 03/19/24 12:52 PM

We had an apt complex go in behind us in 2008 and dealt with trespassers beginning with the construction workers and then the mostly college students who moved in. They ignored our fence and signs and tore down the electric wire I ran along the top of the fence. They came in at night and day, fishing in our ponds and occasionally wandering up to our barn to snoop.
In 2009 I drove around the county looking for horse apples from trees that had great thorns on them. Some don't. After finding one I gathered the fruit and kept them in a bucket of water thru winter then pulverized them to gather the seed. Lots of latex in those things. In March of 2010 I planted the seeds in a bed of sand and withiin a month had a stand of around 3,000 seedlings. We then planted them around 2 sides of our property, every 20". Most survived although rats and deer were our main problem. I had plenty to fill the voids over the next year.
After 2 years we wove the longest branches together, joining adjacent plants. In 5 years from planting, most were 10 feet tall and the spring/summer foliage shielded us from the view of the apartments. They are now 20+ feet tall and nothing but a bird or rat is going to get thru that mess. Our trespassing problem has almost completely disappeared and the trees have acted as a filter to stop bottles and cans that we used to pick up out of our pasture.
It will most likely take a bulldozer to remove it one day but someone else will make that call. A passive barrier that requires little maintenance.

Re: I'm probably an idiot... Osage orange - 03/19/24 01:08 PM

I cut a lot of hedge trees for posts, but strategically leave some relatively straight ones for tree stands. I also find myself when bowhunting identifying which trees I am going to cut for posts, how many line and corner posts I can get out of them, as well as where to pile the tops for rabbitat and to encourage the deer to come near my tree stand.

I have not yet gotten to the point of planting a hedge row and weaving he branches like the old timers...but I have been thinking about it. They are a great habitat tree used correctly and until they get too big. Then they become monster corner posts. Cut them and they just grow back - renewable resource.

Re: I'm probably an idiot... Osage orange - 03/19/24 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by Yes sir
Originally Posted by Flint Hill fur

Lol I didn't want to confuse the youngens. Sorry grin

That's all I ever heard them called around here, hedge trees and hedge rows. Never heard a hedge ball called a horse apple either, that's what comes out of the rear end of a horse.
The old timers around here just planted straight rows for wind breaks around the fields and roads. I've never seen one here woven together in any way. The younger famers today can't push them out fast enough to suit them. They might get to experience the Dirty Thirties dust storms if they keep it up, the old timers planted them for a good reason.

Re: I'm probably an idiot... Osage orange - 03/19/24 06:05 PM

I agree. one invasive species in this area I don't mind. yeah I've never heard of Osage orange tree rows...just hedge rows

Re: I'm probably an idiot... Osage orange - 03/20/24 01:09 AM

They are native here but uncommon. I don't believe they ever saw widespread use as windrows here as cedars were more effective at keeping the wind from whipping up topsoil. They are a novelty and most people here have never seen one. In fact, the property owner where I picked up the fruits had no idea that such a tree existed let alone was on the property. He is eagerly awaiting seedlings.
I am running germination tests now, if rates are good, I'll try to distribute a few hundred.
[Linked Image]

One tray of peat pellets and one good old moist paper towel in a ziplock.
Posted By: TurkeyTime

Re: I'm probably an idiot... Osage orange - 03/20/24 02:07 AM

Tons of hedge rows around here.
Posted By: John Carter

Re: I'm probably an idiot... Osage orange - 03/20/24 02:31 AM

Hedge - the living fence.

My technique is to gather hedge apples in the fall, place in plastic garbage cans and let sit open over the winter. They essentially breakdown / rot with the freeze and the thaw, in the spring they will become a mushy slurry. Create a furrow, pour slurry down furrow, cover lightly. In a couple of weeks hundreds of sprouts. My understanding is this is close to how hedge rows / living fences were made prior to barbed wire. Cut the new growth at the height you desire, they will branch out sideways and entangle.

Re: I'm probably an idiot... Osage orange - 03/26/24 02:40 AM

[Linked Image]
And...we have germination! About 70% so far. I bought enough cell trays to get 120 trees going.

Re: I'm probably an idiot... Osage orange - 03/26/24 02:46 AM

Lookin good.
Posted By: Spike369

Re: I'm probably an idiot... Osage orange - 03/26/24 10:27 AM

I boiled some of the wood once and got a beautiful dye for my buckskin.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums