Home

? For you welders...

Posted By: Gary Benson

? For you welders... - 03/17/24 06:24 PM

Trying to restore vital signs to this old handgun of my Grandpa's. The trigger spring is broken. Can anybody weld this or is spring steel not weldable? [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Squash

Re: ? For you welders... - 03/17/24 06:37 PM

I’d check with Dixie gun works for a used spring. They had one for my old 1849 colt pocket revolver.
Posted By: cotton

Re: ? For you welders... - 03/17/24 06:40 PM

think welding would mess with the temper on spring steel too bad.
Posted By: Posco

Re: ? For you welders... - 03/17/24 06:57 PM

I had a fellow build me a spring for one of my shotguns. Cost me $500. He can build you one if you don't mind parting with some loot.

Re: ? For you welders... - 03/17/24 07:59 PM

Yikes! I'll look around! Maybe JB Weld....
Posted By: Wolfdog91

Re: ? For you welders... - 03/17/24 08:04 PM

What gun is that ? Make and model ? Could help you lol around for a new one
Posted By: mpb475

Re: ? For you welders... - 03/17/24 08:07 PM

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/

I've had good luck with this company, too.

Re: ? For you welders... - 03/17/24 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by Wolfdog91
What gun is that ? Make and model ? Could help you lol around for a new one

It's a W Pond of Worcester, Mass. Patented 1860. No model but they made a .22 and a .32. This is a .32.

Re: ? For you welders... - 03/17/24 08:13 PM

It breaks like this [Linked Image]

Re: ? For you welders... - 03/17/24 08:14 PM

The pawl that rotates the cylinder is shot too.

Re: ? For you welders... - 03/17/24 08:15 PM

Thank you mnp475
Posted By: Knappett

Re: ? For you welders... - 03/17/24 08:27 PM

If you cant find a replacement Get some 1075 spring steel and shape it with a file. On an easy spring shape nearly anyone can make one. Quick and dirty method for heat treating it is heat slowly with a torch until a magnet won't stick to it and quench in kerosene (diesel, canola, ect) shine it up with sandpaper and pass the torch over it lightly till it turns blue.
Posted By: Providence Farm

Re: ? For you welders... - 03/17/24 09:04 PM

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/. Numrich has had hard to find parts and mags I was looking for in the past.
Posted By: EdP

Re: ? For you welders... - 03/17/24 10:43 PM

One of the better flintlock rifle builders can make you a new spring, as could a good blacksmith that makes knifes or tomahawks. Some of the rifle builders can make a lock for a flintlock including all the springs. Knappett has described the process. Use a high carbon steel that has not been hardened. Shape it, harden it (heat and quench), then temper (draw hardness down a bit). The surface finish is important as any discontinuity is a stress riser than can initiate a crack. On a small item like a spring a oxy-act torch is an adequate heat source.

Re: ? For you welders... - 03/18/24 10:10 AM

Interesting YouTube video on this gun. Pond was sued by Smith and Wesson over a copyright infringement and had to quit making them. S &W bought the rest of what Pond had built for $3 apiece and sold them for $13.
Posted By: BigBob

Re: ? For you welders... - 03/18/24 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by Knappett
If you cant find a replacement Get some 1075 spring steel and shape it with a file. On an easy spring shape nearly anyone can make one. Quick and dirty method for heat treating it is heat slowly with a torch until a magnet won't stick to it and quench in kerosene (diesel, canola, ect) shine it up with sandpaper and pass the torch over it lightly till it turns blue.

Magnets my aching butt! Anneal the spring so it's soft by heating it to a bright red then bury it in kitty litter to allow it to cool very slowly, weld, then heat to a bright red and quench. After that, polish a section and SLOWLY heat the entire spring till that spot is a light straw color, and re-quench.
Posted By: GritGuy

Re: ? For you welders... - 03/18/24 07:50 PM

^^^^^^^

Took a few to get to a workable solution using the original material, but don't try welding it with out relaxing the temper !

Re: ? For you welders... - 03/18/24 08:37 PM

I'll cut one out of high carbon steel and see if I can temper it myself.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums