Home

Working in store question

Posted By: coonman220

Working in store question - 03/14/24 09:54 PM

Anyone work Walmart? Was think of apply there but think apply another store first, an easier to work at store, I not up or experienced at customer service work however, think apply at daa bin store first
Posted By: 160user

Re: Working in store question - 03/14/24 09:55 PM

I think you would excel at Walmart in customer service and fit right in.
Posted By: trapdog1

Re: Working in store question - 03/14/24 09:57 PM

You can probably find work stocking shelves and such and avoid customer service work, Dave. Good luck.
Posted By: CTRAPS

Re: Working in store question - 03/14/24 10:00 PM

Dave, I have a buddy of mine that worked at Wal-Mart for years. He re-stocked shelves at night and did some cleaning once in a while. He loved it.
Posted By: jalstat

Re: Working in store question - 03/14/24 10:15 PM

You’ll need blue hair and several nose piercings plus numerous jail tattoos to work checkout lol
Posted By: MINK I LOVE

Re: Working in store question - 03/14/24 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by jalstat
You’ll need blue hair and several nose piercings plus numerous jail tattoos to work checkout lol

Lol. True That!
Posted By: trappingthomas

Re: Working in store question - 03/14/24 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by trapdog1
You can probably find work stocking shelves and such and avoid customer service work, Dave. Good luck.

X2
Posted By: KeithC

Re: Working in store question - 03/14/24 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by trappingthomas
Originally Posted by trapdog1

X2

Less interaction with the public would be good. You might want to look into working at Walmart at night.

Keith
Posted By: MINK I LOVE

Re: Working in store question - 03/14/24 10:36 PM

I always wondered why you did not work the nite shift in the Dubuque Wal-Mart. You personality would fit right in
Posted By: yotetrapper30

Re: Working in store question - 03/14/24 10:45 PM

My stepdad works there Dave. Pay is not great, but benefits are decent. Health insurance, paid time off, 401k, etc.

Re: Working in store question - 03/14/24 10:47 PM

I was thinking of stock shelves an backroom position, u deal with customers some, it have be daytime part time as work nite during week like now at break
Posted By: snowy

Re: Working in store question - 03/14/24 10:50 PM

I wish you the best and I would say, if you have the interest you should apply. If you do, I hope you get the job and wish you success.

Please keep us posted in your new venture.

Re: Working in store question - 03/14/24 11:51 PM

Not sure on pay. I thought was decent
Posted By: Wolfdog91

Re: Working in store question - 03/15/24 12:04 AM

[Linked Image]

Re: Working in store question - 03/15/24 12:05 AM

I say just do it, you can always quit and go find somewhere else if you don't like it. Too much work these days to be stuck at r job you don't like
Posted By: Slick Pan

Re: Working in store question - 03/15/24 12:12 AM

Good job for ya Dave. Give it a shot. Night shift is where the money to be made is.
Posted By: ~ADC~

Re: Working in store question - 03/15/24 12:14 AM

It'll all depend upon the people you'll have to work with. They can make in enjoyable or make it suck real bad. You'll not know until you try.

Re: Working in store question - 03/15/24 01:21 AM

I was hoping stock by urself, no idea what be doing. Daa bin store is more easy, practically just dump bins full merchandise , was thinking if needed help on days there closed but no idea, someone at state employment office refered me to them an few other jobs which not heard nothing back on yet

Re: Working in store question - 03/15/24 01:26 AM

Give Walmart a try. What's the worst that can happen? If you don't like it, quit. Maybe you'll love it and decide to quit your other job and go full time at Walmart.
Posted By: warrior

Re: Working in store question - 03/15/24 01:45 AM

Originally Posted by jalstat

And not speak English, oh wait......

Re: Working in store question - 03/15/24 01:50 AM

Not sure if workers at Walmart carry around store c phones for locating items

Re: Working in store question - 03/15/24 01:57 AM

Originally Posted by coonman220
Not sure if workers at Walmart carry around store c phones for locating items

They do. Just like Lowe's . If your used to a older factory Walmart is a cake walk. Worst part about retail is dealing with entitled customers ( Lord help you if your around self checkout)
Posted By: K52

Re: Working in store question - 03/15/24 03:17 AM

I have a cousin that has worked at Walmart for years and years. She has lived at home with her mom and dad for her whole life. Her dad passed away several years ago, he was an accountant for Consumers Power in Michigan. Her had her buy stock in Walmart on a regular basis, I believe she is wealthy in her own right by doing this and she still works there. She couldn't live unassisted and she has the money so that never needs to happen. They can be a good job for some people.
Posted By: KeithC

Re: Working in store question - 03/15/24 03:57 AM

Walmart is the largest employer in the the US, by a very wide margin, so there must be a huge number of people who.don't mind working there.

A cousin of my mom worked as an engineer at NASA most of his adult life. When he left NASA, he got a job working at Walmart. He had a large pension and a large inheritance. He could have lavishly lived out the rest of his life, without working. It made no sense to me, but he obviously got something out of working at Walmart.

Keith
Posted By: run

Re: Working in store question - 03/15/24 10:07 AM

I want to wish you the best, Dave. Wherever you decide to work, I hope you make lots of money.

Re: Working in store question - 03/15/24 10:14 AM

Some of the poultry plants start @ 21 or maybe $22 per hour here in Virginia.
Posted By: OhioBoy

Re: Working in store question - 03/15/24 11:51 AM

A guy I know retired and worked there for awhile. A guy that knew everyone kind of guy. His job was to keep the meat and cheeses stocked up and organized. He worked in the mornings to get it ready for the day. He ran into so many people that he knew he couldn't hardly get anything done. lol.

Re: Working in store question - 03/15/24 07:08 PM

So it is something anyone can catch on to the job, if never stock shelves before ? I wonder how u use company c phone to locate things

Re: Working in store question - 03/15/24 07:11 PM

So it is something anyone can catch on to the job, if never stock shelves before ? I wonder how u use company c phone to locate things

I have no doubt you'd catch on and figure the job out in no time, Dave.

Re: Working in store question - 03/15/24 07:22 PM

Everyone was new one day. You will get the hang of it.

Re: Working in store question - 03/15/24 07:28 PM

I might apply mon morning . Was go to see what up at employment office with job fair of where was working if go get call back at all. Was supposed been back 2-3 weeks ago an there have a job fair Monday yet noone or hardly noone call back. If not sound positive, maybe apply on the computer at employment office for Walmart , sometimes easier on computer to apply then using a cheap phone

Re: Working in store question - 03/15/24 11:08 PM

I might apply mon morning . Was go to see what up at employment office with job fair of where was working if go get call back at all. Was supposed been back 2-3 weeks ago an there have a job fair Monday yet noone or hardly noone call back. If not sound positive, maybe apply on the computer at employment office for Walmart , sometimes easier on computer to apply then using a cheap phone

If not Dave, Walmart usually has a computer up in the front of their store somewhere where you can apply right there. You've probably walked by it a hundred times and never noticed it. Next time you go there take a look for it. Often near the customer service desk.

Dave, if you can figure out how to log on to trapperman, you can figure out how to use the phones. You log in with a username and password just like here, then you just open one app and you'll be able to hit a button on the side of the phone which allows you to scan barcodes, and it'll show you in that app where the product is located. Real easy.
Posted By: rex123

Re: Working in store question - 03/15/24 11:19 PM

Dave you first get hired you are put in the area you will work .You will be given training for your job .You aren't expected to know everything that's what the training is for . There won't be anything that comes up you can't handle.

Re: Working in store question - 03/16/24 12:16 AM

Probly apply Monday

Re: Working in store question - 03/16/24 12:57 AM

Go apply and let them know you are willing to work and that you are dependable. You will do fine there Dave.
Posted By: Lufkin Trapper

Re: Working in store question - 03/16/24 05:00 AM

Pulling for you, Dave.
Posted By: 2poor

Re: Working in store question - 03/16/24 11:02 AM

I believe the local Walmart is $24 per hour , night shift stocking after 90 days.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Working in store question - 03/16/24 02:11 PM

Hope you Get in
Posted By: Badger23

Re: Working in store question - 03/16/24 02:43 PM

Wow 2poor that wage is $7 to$9 an hour more than here for stockers.

Good luck Dave, I hope it works out. I'm pretty sure you're a reliable worker and that goes a long way nowdays. The world is full of "workers" who do a half arsed job I think you're better than that. Just give yourself some time to learn the job, you're not going to be splitting atoms it's stocking shelves.
Posted By: Vinke

Re: Working in store question - 03/16/24 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by 160user
I think you would excel at Walmart in customer service and fit right in.

If 330 can do it,,,,,, you are a shoe in big Dave……..whistle
Posted By: Okie Farmer

Re: Working in store question - 03/16/24 03:45 PM

If you do get a job in customer service just remember to leave it all at work. Don't burden yourself with customer attitudes, do your job, work on improving your skills, and go home and enjoy your self.
Posted By: Tommie

Re: Working in store question - 03/16/24 04:30 PM

Good luck Dave , I worked with a guy that done it part time he really enjoyed it . I think he went in around 4 and worked till 10 5 days a week .
Posted By: 70sdiver

Re: Working in store question - 03/16/24 05:55 PM

Home Depot may be worth a look also.
Posted By: SE.Current

Re: Working in store question - 03/16/24 06:16 PM

Forget Walmart. Get your CDL to drive big vechiles and get a job working in the oil field's. Life is too short to waste time getting paid minimal dollars.
Posted By: Providence Farm

Re: Working in store question - 03/16/24 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by Badger23
Wow 2poor that wage is $7 to$9 an hour more than here for stockers.

Good luck Dave, I hope it works out. I'm pretty sure you're a reliable worker and that goes a long way nowdays. The world is full of "workers" who do a half arsed job I think you're better than that. Just give yourself some time to learn the job, you're not going to be splitting atoms it's stocking shelves.

I saw an add for that pay range at a distribution center.mayve it was $21 it's been a while since I was looking at local jobs.

I worked at Walmart just after highschool. I was cutting yards and doing tree work working for myself making more than my dad did working on my schedule. He keep saying I needed a 40hr a week job so I took one in sporting goods at Walmart. They had an hour lunch so I would mow a yard on lunch. It was an easy job but they watched hours close. No overtime, and you better not get 5 min more than what they max part time employees out at oryou would get in trouble. There were department managers there that had become wealthy buying into their stock program. It was a few month thing for me until something that paid better came along.
Posted By: jalstat

Re: Working in store question - 03/16/24 07:08 PM

My neighbor was a regional manager st Walmart and he’s definitely not poor
Posted By: Guss

Re: Working in store question - 03/16/24 08:39 PM

No one greeters anymore

Re: Working in store question - 03/16/24 08:51 PM

Just saying my company is hiring, actually about all the tow boat companies are hiring

Re: Working in store question - 03/17/24 12:51 AM

Just got pair tennis shoes at Walmart, forgot to look for computer if is by customer service, probly apply from computer at employment office Monday , I want talk to who is have job fair there from warehouse an why on lay off OnCall status, need get more work going on an way out shape from couch or chair, I like music Walmart an air cond. Clean job in summer, never really work where real clean an cool in store in summer, I skim thru some application on my phone, complex with user name an password an want u apply certain position an specify hrs,, I not sure what position be good, I am thinking they want u start off work weekends, Walmart always needs lots help, have seen arthritis cripples like me work at Walmart, not sure of what exact job is of guy run carts in store, of what else he does. That position sounds more interesting to me

Re: Working in store question - 03/17/24 01:32 AM

I didn't even know you played tennis.

Re: Working in store question - 03/18/24 10:54 PM

Employment office try get me on at food service place that located a block away from home, I say 50/50 chance as not had interview yet, they told me that why don't u wait to apply at store jobs, the ad say $14 hr pt an it block away, now the employment office say only $12 hr. So I wait few days to see if hear anything , I can't work all hrs they want as interfere nite job. Wonder what Iowa Walmart pays for stock shelves an if can only work 15 hrs week without wkends , u have specify all hrs an position on application if I apply

Re: Working in store question - 03/18/24 11:15 PM

Originally Posted by 160user
I didn't even know you played tennis.

I don't think he does play tennis. He calls street shoes tennis shoes.
Posted By: houndone

Re: Working in store question - 03/18/24 11:30 PM

Sneakers/tennis shoes is what he's talking about iam sure.maybe in your neck of the woods you call them something different.

Re: Working in store question - 03/18/24 11:34 PM

No I don't play any sports , always call them tennis shoes
Posted By: Providence Farm

Re: Working in store question - 03/19/24 12:20 AM

Shoe classification for me

Work boots, hunting boots( often the same)
Dress shoes, and shoes. Shoes could be loafers or tennis shoes/ sneakers/ gym shoes ECT but to me they are shoes and the wife and kids know what I'm talking about.

99% I'm in work boots. Added bonus work buys them and I haven't bought a lot of footwear in the last 18 years. Between shoes and FR uniforms it is another financial savin's benefit of the job of several hundred a year.

Coon man I'm glad you're finally taking action job hunting vs just complaining about your job and not doing anything to change it. I would recommend changing the full time job unless things have improved for you.
Posted By: BigBlackBirds

Re: Working in store question - 03/19/24 01:04 AM

Employment office try get me on at food service place that located a block away from home, I say 50/50 chance as not had interview yet, they told me that why don't u wait to apply at store jobs, the ad say $14 hr pt an it block away, now the employment office say only $12 hr. So I wait few days to see if hear anything , I can't work all hrs they want as interfere nite job. Wonder what Iowa Walmart pays for stock shelves an if can only work 15 hrs week without wkends , u have specify all hrs an position on application if I apply

I wouldnt put too much faith in employment office advice. You should apply to both and interview with either that offers one. May end up with two job offers and then you can pick the one that is best suited for your hours, pay, travel time.

Re: Working in store question - 03/19/24 01:42 AM

The one next door is at Seminory, college for become priest or nun. For food service co..I been look an picky about pt jobs an need more work as get lazy as can be but ad say $14 hr. Not much but now they come with $12 hr. Nowadays that unheard of pretty much at most places, I wonder Walmart pay stock shelves not at nite, pt, they have a cart attendant job but full time, I kind of a cripple with arthritis so that why pt an picky with what look at

Re: Working in store question - 03/19/24 02:04 AM

Dave, I think the only way to know for sure what the WalMart job will pay, is to go and ask them. You can go to the Customer Service counter and ask someone there to contact a manager for you to talk to.

They are looking for help, so don't be afraid to ask them questions. If you like what you hear, then fill out an application and wait to be interviewed.

You will do just fine, I'm sure you will. Good luck!
Posted By: BigBlackBirds

Re: Working in store question - 03/19/24 02:22 AM

Coonman—-I’m speculating that many places are still hurting for help and might be willing to work with your schedule. Fill out as many applications as you can to try and get chance to talk with hiring manager. Way better to have option to pick between two jobs

Re: Working in store question - 03/19/24 02:24 AM

Originally Posted by CTRAPS
Dave, I think the only way to know for sure what the WalMart job will pay, is to go and ask them. You can go to the Customer Service counter and ask someone there to contact a manager for you to talk to.

They are looking for help, so don't be afraid to ask them questions. If you like what you hear, then fill out an application and wait to be interviewed.

This is great advice. If you can go in and talk to them.

Re: Working in store question - 03/19/24 02:26 AM

Ya I call customer service an ask for hiring mgr or leave voicemail in morning

Re: Working in store question - 03/20/24 05:07 PM

Think I just go customer service in person tommorw with wkly shopping an ask talk whoever in charge hire an say consider fill application out an see what hours can work an pay. I do all my grocery shopping there weekly
Posted By: hippie

Re: Working in store question - 03/20/24 06:50 PM

That'd be the best move Coonman

Re: Working in store question - 03/20/24 08:28 PM

Think I just go customer service in person tommorw with wkly shopping an ask talk whoever in charge hire an say consider fill application out an see what hours can work an pay. I do all my grocery shopping there weekly

Get 'er done! You may even get an employee discount. You posted a week ago you were considering applying. If you had done it that day you may have had your first paycheck about today.

Re: Working in store question - 03/21/24 01:37 AM

Good luck with that, not trying to be rude but if Walmart is anything like most places the old way of trying to talk directly with the man in charge or the hiring manager usually doesn't do much good. Most of the time if you can get one their gonna ask/say Have you filled your an application on line? And if the answer is no then they'll just tell you to do that first

Re: Working in store question - 03/21/24 05:37 PM

Went to customer service, the one in charge hiring is very hard to get ahold of I was told, they gave me a paper with job listings an hrs . Sound like stockers work when I have my other job. They say apply online even with part time limited hrs. So I guess make trip to library computer tommorw morning for something to do in morning an apply an probly at other store . It say on paper I got. Start $16 hr. Most jobs. Not bad , it sounds like u got work 8 hrs an not 5-6, what I had plan but I guess can try

Re: Working in store question - 03/21/24 05:52 PM

Went to customer service, the one in charge hiring is very hard to get ahold of I was told, they gave me a paper with job listings an hrs . Sound like stockers work when I have my other job. They say apply online even with part time limited hrs. So I guess make trip to library computer tommorw morning for something to do in morning an apply an probly at other store . It say on paper I got. Start $16 hr. Most jobs. Not bad , it sounds like u got work 8 hrs an not 5-6, what I had plan but I guess can try

That sounds good! Apply and it might work were they let you work fewer hours. I wish you the best and let us know how things work out. Good Luck!!!
Posted By: hippie

Re: Working in store question - 03/21/24 06:18 PM

Follow thru, ya never know how it will turn out.

Some places but a couple roadblocks in the way, just to make sure you're really after a job and not wasting their time.

Re: Working in store question - 03/21/24 07:51 PM

If they call. Tell them that looking for something can do pt, u can only apply for 1 position. I rather have cart pusher job but it list it as full time, not sure how easy or hard to job as stock shelves is, with locating products to right place
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Working in store question - 03/21/24 08:07 PM

Vinke...^^^ go eat your Toejam 'n nail sandwich.
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: Working in store question - 03/21/24 09:27 PM

one nice thing about food service jobs is they almost always feed you one meal a day

I have 2 kids working food right now
all 3 have worked food

my oldest is in college , student teaching and works at a pizza place.

youngest works at a sandwich and pizza shop and used to work food service in a nursing home.

middle used to work a supper club and is in tech school and working at the farm store currently.

all get a shift meal or got a shift meal while working food.

so if you get a food service job that helps a little to not have to make and pay for a meal.

NewBalance makes an all black slip resistant shoe I think 626 is the model , it is a near standard in food service as many places require all black and slip resistant.

Re: Working in store question - 03/21/24 09:49 PM

Not heard nothing back from food service job an at $12 a hr. Don't bother me to much

Re: Working in store question - 03/22/24 02:59 PM

Just got call back warehouse job for Monday that I been wait on for wks, am happy go back if even only last couple months,, save Walmart idea for later, warehouse is less then 10 min from home

Re: Working in store question - 03/22/24 07:26 PM

Just got call back warehouse job for Monday that I been wait on for wks, am happy go back if even only last couple months,, save Walmart idea for later, warehouse is less then 10 min from home

Good for you Dave. Be careful and good luck!
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: Working in store question - 03/22/24 08:13 PM

it is a really strange job market

lots of signs out , but you can apply for all sorts of places and hardly get a call back

my son left his factory job working full time so he could go back to school full time in early January.
he was looking for a part time gig to cover expenses he was applying at a bunch of places and not getting calls back , then all at once about 2 weeks in to the search he saw the farm store was hiring he interviewed on a Thursday , the said your hired on Friday , start work Monday 8am .

they are glad to have him , he came pre-fork truck certified from the factory.

I know far a fact where the other kid works they have a sign out for all positions and they are not hiring for all positions. at least not until Mr. Perfect walks in the door.

Re: Working in store question - 03/22/24 08:30 PM

Good for you Dave. Be careful and good luck!

What Craig said!

Re: Working in store question - 03/22/24 09:00 PM

Good for you and hope all goes well.

Re: Working in store question - 03/23/24 12:14 AM

Thanks !! It awful when not lot to do an sit on chair or lay on couch for hours is terrible for u an really get out shape
© 2024 Trapperman Forums