Home

Ghillie suites

Posted By: Wolfdog91

Ghillie suites - 03/13/24 05:46 PM

So anyone else mess with building them ? Hi tong with them .Made a few as a kid. Made small game hunting pretty fun.Recently learned about the newer viper and cobra hoods variants. Seemed alot more useful then the full body Walmart ones that make you look like Bigfoot or the military ones that are mainly for bing in prone. Got a viper hood for lie $30 off the ole Amazon I'm gonna start working on. It's super breathable and pretty compact.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: BigBob

Re: Ghillie suites - 03/13/24 07:59 PM

Have a couple, love them for squirrel hunting, sliding thru the woods watching, listening and calling. If you can squirrel hunt, you can hunt anything!

Re: Ghillie suites - 03/13/24 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by BigBob
Have a couple, love them for squirrel hunting, sliding thru the woods watching, listening and calling. If you can squirrel hunt, you can hunt anything!

What kind do you use ? One of the big full body ones ?

Re: Ghillie suites - 03/13/24 08:38 PM

So think this one is coming along half decent think the arms need more attention then anything because my head and shoulders look pretty well broken up
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Ghillie suites - 03/13/24 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by Wolfdog91
Originally Posted by BigBob

What kind do you use ? One of the big full body ones ?

I have a string type pants/shirt/head cover type, and a weird looking wavy flat strip one on skeeter net type that really nice for the summer heat. Just wear a T=shirt and shorts under it. Feel a little silly putting it on with people watching, but have had folks tell me I flat out disappeared 10 ft into the woods. LOL
Posted By: Wanna Be

Re: Ghillie suites - 03/13/24 10:55 PM

Haha, tried that and figured dehydration wasn’t worth it. I sweat less in a sauna, lol!!

Re: Ghillie suites - 03/13/24 11:07 PM

Originally Posted by Wanna Be
Haha, tried that and figured dehydration wasn’t worth it. I sweat less in a sauna, lol!!

Yeah that why I'm going with the viper hood set up over a full body. Built some of those before and yeaaahhhh HOT. This one is really really breathable and light though. No to mention I can just stuff it in my back pack and whip it out when I need it
Posted By: lestan101

Re: Ghillie suites - 03/13/24 11:49 PM

I use the Sapper Suit from All predator calls. com. Just below knee length comes with hood and gun cover.
Posted By: Leftlane

Re: Ghillie suites - 03/14/24 01:13 PM

Add a hill of fire ants and you will set the dam thing on fire!
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: Ghillie suites - 03/14/24 01:45 PM

camouflage is over rated

works best on other humans

thermals are making that less effective
Posted By: Drifter

Re: Ghillie suites - 03/14/24 02:08 PM

Tween the snakes and fie ants here will take my chances.
Posted By: Wanna Be

Re: Ghillie suites - 03/14/24 02:16 PM

I don’t have anything I want to sneak in on that bad. The only time I’m head to toe camouflaged is for turkeys. And then again, shade and no movement will keep me hidden to make it happen.
Haven’t really tried predator calling during the day, but I’ve watched those MFK guys sit in the woods in jeans and short sleeve dark shirt and roll some coyotes. At night I think anything but white works. The only reason I wear a long sleeve at night is mainly to help with mosquitoes.
I keep my caller at least 50+ yards away and position it where I think the predator will come from and I won’t be in their line of sight. Even at night I’m using the “shade” of trees to set up under.
Posted By: Osagan

Re: Ghillie suites - 03/14/24 04:19 PM

I keep my caller at least 50+ yards away and position it where I think the predator will come from and I won’t be in their line of sight. Even at night I’m using the “shade” of trees to set up under.

^^^This^^^
And upwind. Humans are the ones that have trouble seeing in the dark. Animals and specifically predators, not so much.
Posted By: Drakej

Re: Ghillie suites - 03/18/24 04:06 AM

I made one years ago for still hunting deer in blaze/reds/camo that we are required to wear from a poncho cover of plastic bird netting woven with 1" cloth strips knotted rug style and large knit stocking cap stripped the same for the head. Cheap and easy. A waist tie helps keep it from flopping. Works well for me if I don't feel like sitting in a stand. Except if we get full snow cover. Have a white commercial predator suit second hand for that.
Posted By: DWC

Re: Ghillie suites - 03/18/24 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by danny clifton
camouflage is over rated

Gerry Blair from Trapper Predator Caller called in a coyote wearing a Santa suit, possibly within range of his 10 gauge, cant remember for sure.
Posted By: Providence Farm

Re: Ghillie suites - 03/18/24 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by DWC
Originally Posted by danny clifton
camouflage is over rated

Gerry Blair from Trapper Predator Caller called in a coyote wearing a Santa suit, possibly within range of his 10 gauge, cant remember for sure.

I have one camo ball cap because it was $6 and one camo t shirt because the boys like camo and wanted me to get it. I mainly hunt in jeans and whatever clothes i have that are seasonal appropriate. Never needed camo to kill animals. It does help with people and turkies I guess . But then again my youngest killed his first turkey spot and stalk by himself when he was 7 wearing this
with that cheap bow. So probably not necessary. [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Ghillie suites - 03/18/24 07:20 PM

I also made a 6x6 white tablecloth into a poncho with an oversized pair of white painters pants for snow.
Posted By: matt

Re: Ghillie suites - 03/18/24 07:51 PM

I wear a leafy suit top. It’s the woodland brown color. It’s light, can wear whatever the temperature calls for under it. They are built tough, I have been wearing mine for about 3 years now. I think it helps to break up the edges, so you really don’t have an outline. I wear it for turkey and deer. I have a ghillie top and don’t wear it much anymore. I found that it tends to get tangled in most everything. I got it tangled in some rose briers one day while sneaking up on a bedded buck. Had my pack on and was not really sure I was ever going to get loose.
[Linked Image]
This is the one I wear.
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: Ghillie suites - 03/18/24 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by matt
I got it tangled in some rose briers one day while sneaking up on a bedded buck. Had my pack on and was not really sure I was ever going to get loose.

I started carrying a hand pruners in my hunting vest because I was getting so caught up in thorny vines , black berry , multi flora rose and others

keep it for when you get stuck but I also found myself clipping a branch here or there and it really opened up the trails for easy walking later

Re: Ghillie suites - 03/18/24 08:59 PM

So take it the face paint is a bit much too huh ? grin slight side note I've had three cows try to eat me so far laugh
[Linked Image]

Re: Ghillie suites - 03/18/24 10:28 PM

So take it the face paint is a bit much too huh ? grin slight side note I've had three cows try to eat me so far laugh
[Linked Image]

Are you knife hunting cows? If so it's working very well but a bucket with grain will probably help speed things up.
Are you coyote hunting today?

Re: Ghillie suites - 03/18/24 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by Providence Farm
[Linked Image]

Are you knife hunting cows? If so it's working very well but a bucket with grain will probably help speed things up.
Are you coyote hunting today?

I'm just saying man one minute folks tell me not to worry about camo , then I'm not wearing enough then aim wearing too much then I'm not wearing enough, can't win for loosing laugh

Yeepppp was out calling again. And there cows about every where I can get to so .Had a red poke its head out at about 300 for about sec but was too slow in the draw and he ducked back in
Posted By: DirtyD

Re: Ghillie suites - 03/18/24 10:47 PM

It helps a lot when u belly crawl up to some deer.. I've learned to shoot my recurve from this position and have crawled as close as 7yds from deer and shot one like this... it's helps if u hunt.. doesn't do much if u sit and wait... mine is some old hoop net netting sown on to one of my OCP's that are nolonger in regs.....I will needa find it... you don't have to put very much burlap on it.. tuck a little grass, mabe one or two cedar branches and be on your way ..

Re: Ghillie suites - 03/19/24 03:36 AM

Aww wolfdog camo is a personal thing. It's fun to blend in well and definitely can't hurt a thing. But keep in mind animals don't see like we do different spectrums, and have better hearing and nose. I did a lot of camo when I was young face pain ECT, but in my area for deer I noticed on unplanned hunts after work in jeans and a red flannel I killed just as many. Good approach using terrain, cover and the wind are much more important than camo in my experience. Did you see the pictures I posted of my son at 7 in Brite orange killed his first turkey with that cheap 20lb bow spot and stalking it by himself? Just the best example I personally have to back up my opinion with a personal example. Yet everyone says you need full camo $10 a shot tsx and a shotgun that can shoot 75 yards to kill turkies!!! Hmm maybe it was a freak one off we'll both boys spot and stalked mature time last spring in basic camo one with head net one with face paint and killed mature toms at 13and 15 yards .
Did the camo help well maybe, but I was right between both the boys in a camo t shirt and jeans and no head cover or face paint so I won't say the camo made any different but it could not have hurt.

Bad approach or wrong wind direction and camo won't matter. Don't slam you doors and cycle you guns loudly when you get aout of the truck helps with coyote calling here. Approach and wind make a big difference in success especially if hunting pressure is high. I like a decoy that moves by the call and that a good ways away from me so they are focused on it not on me. I am more successful early in the morning to a few hours after daylight. I'm no expert calling coyotes and don't do it much but t do kill them doing it
© 2024 Trapperman Forums