Home

HIDE ID

Posted By: willvalley

HIDE ID - 03/10/24 05:39 PM

[Linked Image]

I recently bought some tanned hides and where told they are raccoon. Problem is to me they are not like any coon I have ever seen. Would ask the fellow I bought them from but he has unfriended me. He is a good fellow and being a bit stupid I said something that greatly offended him.

The picture shows a hide I bought on the left and a coon I caught on the right. They have no similarities. Never seen a coon so thick and soft. Any ideas?

Ted
Posted By: Bigbrownie

Re: HIDE ID - 03/10/24 05:53 PM

No, I’d say that’s a coon you got. Looks like one that got flattened on the interstate.
Posted By: beaverpeeler

Re: HIDE ID - 03/10/24 05:57 PM

Not sure which you're talking about Ted. One is above and one below.
Posted By: Turtledale

Re: HIDE ID - 03/10/24 07:24 PM

Raccoon dog [Linked Image]
Posted By: wissmiss

Re: HIDE ID - 03/10/24 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by Turtledale
Raccoon dog [Linked Image]

That was my thought. Native to Japan. Ranch raised in Europe. They can get huge with very thick fur. Related to coyotes, not American raccoon.
Posted By: Pawnee

Re: HIDE ID - 03/10/24 07:40 PM

Not a uncommon looking coon for around here
Posted By: patrapperbuster

Re: HIDE ID - 03/10/24 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by willvalley
[Linked Image]

I recently bought some tanned hides and where told they are raccoon. Problem is to me they are not like any coon I have ever seen. Would ask the fellow I bought them from but he has unfriended me. He is a good fellow and being a bit stupid I said something that greatly offended him.

The picture shows a hide I bought on the left and a coon I caught on the right. They have no similarities. Never seen a coon so thick and soft. Any ideas?

Ted

You say they are tanned. Is it cased skinned or open ? Open would look that wide. Can we see the tail & head in a pic?
Posted By: GritGuy

Re: HIDE ID - 03/10/24 08:39 PM

I make coon hats, I've seen a lot of coon in my years, that being said with out seeing the head or tail of the bottom one in that pic they are just both coons in my view.

If you had a dog coon you would know the difference right off between the two due to the heads !
Posted By: Wanna Be

Re: HIDE ID - 03/10/24 09:54 PM

Looks like about every coon I catch, lol.
Posted By: Leftlane

Re: HIDE ID - 03/10/24 10:33 PM

There are critters elsewhere that I know nothing about. At the gun shows in SA (read huge) there is an ol boy who sells a lot of alpaca hides and he one had a mess of chinchilla (sp?) Hides. They look like a cotton tail crossed with a squirrel.
Posted By: beaverpeeler

Re: HIDE ID - 03/10/24 10:35 PM

When I was a kid raising chinchillas was the rage. Everybody had them.
Posted By: ~ADC~

Re: HIDE ID - 03/10/24 11:19 PM

Picture shows 2 raccoons guaranteed 100%. One missing the tail.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums