Home

Demolition of old house question

Posted By: snowy

Demolition of old house question - 03/09/24 05:42 PM

Okay, I have an old >100-year-old homestead home I need demolished. I have talked to three different small companies that say they will do it but can't seem to get them there to get it knocked down and haul away.

These guys owners of the company's I know personally, and all are very busy with other work than demolition jobs. The old ranch house is 28 long and 14 wide one story maybe 10 feet high. One third was an add on in early 40's.

So, other options I would have are burn it down and then clean it up or dig a hole and have someone push it in and burn than cover. The problem is getting someone there to do it.

Should I burn it down or what would you suggest. I would like to build back on the cement walls that are there now.
Posted By: Ridge Runner1960

Re: Demolition of old house question - 03/09/24 05:54 PM

heat from a fire will be hard on 100 year old concrete
Posted By: jarentz

Re: Demolition of old house question - 03/09/24 05:57 PM

I would not burn it down,the heat from the fire could damage the concrete.
Posted By: trapdog1

Re: Demolition of old house question - 03/09/24 05:57 PM

When I did my old farmhouse the cheapest option by far was to dig a hole, push it in and burn it, so that's what I did. The landfill fees would have been outrageous.
Also, that is probably the qucickest option for your contractor to complete so maybe they can work you in sooner.
Posted By: hippie

Re: Demolition of old house question - 03/09/24 06:00 PM

If its in a safe place to burn, check with your local fire company. They'll sometimes burn them down for you, for training porposes.
Posted By: loosegoose

Re: Demolition of old house question - 03/09/24 06:01 PM

See if a local fire department wants to burn it down and use the burning building for training purposes. My great-grandmother did that with a house on her property when I was about 13. Super fun to watch.
Posted By: Mark K

Re: Demolition of old house question - 03/09/24 06:02 PM

I hear, can't confirm, but I have heard that if you take the windows out and fill the entire house with brush 2 inch or less and really pack it in, that the fire will be so hot that the only thing left over will be the steel items. Supposedly even the fiberglass insulation will melt into a puddle.
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: Demolition of old house question - 03/09/24 06:04 PM

some areas the only legal way is a track hoe, dump truck and landfill. not cheap. might could find somebody willing to tear it down for the lumber. that takes awhile to do even with 2-3 people.

Re: Demolition of old house question - 03/09/24 06:06 PM

Ckecking with the local fire departments is a good idea. However, when I checked they had a waiting list of old houses to choose from. They were in no hurry to do mine. Hopefully your local department won't have so many prospects!
Posted By: hippie

Re: Demolition of old house question - 03/09/24 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by Mark K
I hear, can't confirm, but I have heard that if you take the windows out and fill the entire house with brush 2 inch or less and really pack it in, that the fire will be so hot that the only thing left over will be the steel items. Supposedly even the fiberglass insulation will melt into a puddle.

Gas leaks I hear make them disappear, lol.
Posted By: Donnersurvivor

Re: Demolition of old house question - 03/09/24 06:11 PM

If you can rent an excavator with a thumb and have someone drop off dumpsters you'd be surprised how few bigt dumpsters it takes to get rid of a house.
Posted By: newfox1

Re: Demolition of old house question - 03/09/24 06:12 PM

Any Amish close by, maybe you could give it to them. Maybe you could rent a backhoe.?
Posted By: Cragar

Re: Demolition of old house question - 03/09/24 06:12 PM

Check with your local fire department.

Sometimes they are looking for structures to use for training. They will burn it down for free and do it 100% in a safe and controlled manner.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
This was the trailer used for training firefighters. I was the last class who used it. The fire department just finished building a new training center , so I got to burn my school down. One item checked off the 'bucket list'....lol
Posted By: houndone

Re: Demolition of old house question - 03/09/24 06:14 PM

I had a old farm house on the land I bought that we lived in till we built new.took everything out that was salvageable knocked it down and burnt it on a real foggy night. But it was a limestone basement that we didn't want to rebuild on.

Re: Demolition of old house question - 03/09/24 06:17 PM

Nothing around there for miles so safe burning would be a none issue. I'm not totally concerned if cement footer walls are not saved or not. I still would be able to build over top of that main bunk house.

The only real problem I could see if I burned it down is the carbon mess I would have when I rebuild on that site. It may not be that big of a deal but not sure.

I might have them dig a hole right beside the bunkhouse and push it in and burn. The other option some had noted is fire dept. for an exercise. I might contact fire dept. and give them 1500$ donation for burning it down and see what they say. I could deduct charity donation from taxes.
Posted By: Boco

Re: Demolition of old house question - 03/09/24 06:19 PM

Open a propane tank in the basement then a half hour or so later use a remote igniter.
make sure you record it for Utube.
Posted By: mike mason

Re: Demolition of old house question - 03/09/24 06:27 PM

I would check with building department to see if an asbestos survey is needed first. A property-owner I trap on, demoed a house and the Labor Dept shut him down and fined him $25,000 for not doing an asbestos survey.
Posted By: Golf ball

Re: Demolition of old house question - 03/09/24 06:27 PM

Unless it’s been recently re done I would not rebuild on 100 year old cement , fire or no fire.
Posted By: gcs

Re: Demolition of old house question - 03/09/24 07:35 PM

Do you need to rebuild exactly on the same site? otherwise burning in an adjacent hole would probably suffice, your gonna need fill to level that spot anyway so no problem with the ash and burnt chunks
Posted By: KeithC

Re: Demolition of old house question - 03/09/24 07:52 PM

In my area, there are lots of people who tear down old houses and barns in exchange for the wood, brick, stone walls, slate roof and tin roof to resell to rich people who basically use the old materials as decoration. Even old windows often have value. Typically the contracts require the salvagers to haul off or bury everything left on site.

Old lightning rods and architectural iron can bring big money. Old wood floors can too.

You may have people in your area that also salvage old building materials.

Keith
Posted By: randall brannon

Re: Demolition of old house question - 03/09/24 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by Golf ball
Unless it’s been recently re done I would not rebuild on 100 year old cement , fire or no fire.

I agree 100 percent. A new foundation should be done and will save you a whole lot of Headaches later. My place in WV had our old Grandparents house built in the 1800's and I know I was not there when it was built but the concrete Basement walls had to have been done by eyesight alone. Nothing was square.
Posted By: gregh

Re: Demolition of old house question - 03/09/24 08:44 PM

You can not give an old house around here away but put a big price on it and say it has to be moved and people will beat you door down to pay you. Strange times we live in.
Posted By: Vinke

Re: Demolition of old house question - 03/09/24 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by Cragar
Check with your local fire department.

Sometimes they are looking for structures to use for training. They will burn it down for free and do it 100% in a safe and controlled manner.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
This was the trailer used for training firefighters. I was the last class who used it. The fire department just finished building a new training center , so I got to burn my school down. One item checked off the 'bucket list'....lol

Most fire departments will require to remove asbestos / lead/ windows/ plastics/ composition roofing/ on and on
Posted By: NebrCatMan

Re: Demolition of old house question - 03/09/24 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by mike mason
I would check with building department to see if an asbestos survey is needed first. A property-owner I trap on, demoed a house and the Labor Dept shut him down and fined him $25,000 for not doing an asbestos survey.

Same thing here in Nebraska. Has to be inspected for asbestos.... I'm told there can be some pretty hefty fines if disposed of improperly.

Re: Demolition of old house question - 03/09/24 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by NebrCatMan

Same thing here in Nebraska. Has to be inspected for asbestos.... I'm told there can be some pretty hefty fines if disposed of improperly.

Often this applies to commercial properties or those within city limits, but may not apply to your rural property if you dispose of it on-site by burning and burying. Depends on your state and local laws and such.
Posted By: Vinke

Re: Demolition of old house question - 03/09/24 09:59 PM

MT has builder friendly code in most areas
Posted By: 2poor

Re: Demolition of old house question - 03/09/24 11:04 PM

I put a 24’ x 28’ in 4 roll offs at a total cost of $2400 to landfill. Bought my grandson the biggest wrecking bar I could find. Paid him $10 per hour to destroy it. He used my Skidloader for the biggest chunks. There is absolutely no trace.

He wants me to buy another tear down this summer !
Posted By: Golf ball

Re: Demolition of old house question - 03/09/24 11:08 PM

Sounds like you should buy another tear down granddad.
Posted By: Bob_Iowa

Re: Demolition of old house question - 03/09/24 11:59 PM

If the structure is already gone you maybe able to get a dozer guy there faster as all they have to do is dig a hole and push the ash in the bottom and fill it.

Re: Demolition of old house question - 03/10/24 12:57 AM

Some great advice and I thank you. I'm still got high hopes one of those contractors will go knock it down for me.
Posted By: MJM

Re: Demolition of old house question - 03/10/24 01:07 AM

A buddy of mine just had one knocked into the basement two miles south and two west of me. He had a problem getting people to do it too. It stood almost two years waiting on people that said they would do it. He kept asking and found a guy that showed up the next day. He is going to burn it and fill the basement with dirt.
Posted By: uplandpointer

Re: Demolition of old house question - 03/10/24 01:09 AM

Originally Posted by Donnersurvivor
If you can rent an excavator with a thumb and have someone drop off dumpsters you'd be surprised how few bigt dumpsters it takes to get rid of a house.

I have the same plan with mine. The hoe with a thumb is $1600 for a week and dumpsters are just over $600 each. I think It will take 3 dumpsters. So around $3500 plus a day or two to do some site work.
Posted By: swampmonster63

Re: Demolition of old house question - 03/10/24 01:21 AM

How about stripping it to the bare walls and just adding on? Retain some original character in that part instead of all new chip board and plastic.
Posted By: Northof50

Re: Demolition of old house question - 03/10/24 01:27 AM

Originally Posted by snowy
Some great advice and I thank you. I'm still got high hopes one of those contractors will go knock it down for me.

had a Tech school do a " hazardous waste" survey with their students as an exercise, then some training for the "heavy equipment" students in knocking it down.
There is a 25 mile joint agreement between Canada and USA boarder states to remove all structures that may harbour skunks( rabies) Manitoba west to the coast. Do you fall in this area ?

Re: Demolition of old house question - 03/10/24 01:31 AM

Originally Posted by swampmonster63
How about stripping it to the bare walls and just adding on? Retain some original character in that part instead of all new chip board and plastic.

True, I thought about that also and great idea. The two room (100 year plus) is all hard wood floors. The 10 foot add on in the 40's is plywood floor. I just don't want to take the time or have the time.

Originally Posted by Donnersurvivor

That is a great Idea and will most likely be my last straw if no will do it.
Posted By: Northof50

Re: Demolition of old house question - 03/10/24 01:39 AM

Run a air purifier in it for a week then get the filter checked for any mold issues is always a good option
Posted By: T-Rex

Re: Demolition of old house question - 03/10/24 02:33 AM

My house is going to be demolished to make room for development. The developer has bids ranging from $20-28k.
Posted By: bucksnbears

Re: Demolition of old house question - 03/10/24 03:10 AM

Forget piecing it out.
Too many people/ Time involved.
Foggy day n burn it.
Simple n done.

Grass/ brush piles sometimes get outta control.
whistle

Re: Demolition of old house question - 03/10/24 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by bucksnbears
Forget piecing it out.
Too many people/ Time involved.
Foggy day n burn it.
Simple n done.

Grass/ brush piles sometimes get outta control.
whistle

Yep, thinking very strongly about that option. I might see if local fire dept. would come burn it down and I would give them a donation to make it worthwhile for them.
Posted By: bucksnbears

Re: Demolition of old house question - 03/10/24 01:50 PM

Once you get someone involved and they decline, they will know about it.

Just do it.easy peasy

Re: Demolition of old house question - 03/10/24 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by bucksnbears
Once you get someone involved and they decline, they will know about it.

Just do it.easy peasy

Yep, I thinking so too. Thanks
Posted By: Bob_Iowa

Re: Demolition of old house question - 03/10/24 02:52 PM

Here if you’re going to burn it we call it in as a controlled burned, so when people driving that see smoke and call it in, the fire department doesn’t show up and put it out half way through the burn.

Re: Demolition of old house question - 03/10/24 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by Bob_Iowa
Here if you’re going to burn it we call it in as a controlled burned, so when people driving that see smoke and call it in, the fire department doesn’t show up and put it out half way through the burn.

Yep here also. I have done it before and yes that is requirement for a burn permit. They just want a location of burn and date/time and contact number.

It is a good requirement, so everyone is on the same page.
Posted By: white marlin

Re: Demolition of old house question - 03/10/24 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by loosegoose
See if a local fire department wants to burn it down and use the burning building for training purposes. My great-grandmother did that with a house on her property when I was about 13. Super fun to watch.

this is not the FIRST time I've been concerned about you...
Posted By: Trapper Dahlgren

Re: Demolition of old house question - 03/11/24 09:44 AM

seem like a small building, get a few highschooler kids and tear it down!, burn it in small piles?

Re: Demolition of old house question - 03/11/24 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by Trapper Dahlgren
seem like a small building, get a few highschooler kids and tear it down!, burn it in small piles?

That is a great idea!! The only thing with that it is so difficult to find anyone to work. I have placed an ad for anyone wants building or tear down and no takers
Posted By: Steve D

Re: Demolition of old house question - 03/11/24 01:30 PM

Good advice right here.
Depending on your zoning laws and building codes in a most cases a demolition permit is required. Here in our area an asbestos report is required which runs about $1500. Without the report demolition cost will triple and fines for demoing without a report and a permit can be in the thousands of dollars regardless of how it is done.
I personally would stay away from rebuilding on a 100-year-old foundation.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums