Home

A Post Civil War Necktie Party...

Posted By: Actor

A Post Civil War Necktie Party... - 03/09/24 04:28 PM

I came across a file of close to 100 photos that I had collected back in 2010... I believe the were all from during or after the civil war. There are no captions and don't recall anything, to speak of, about them. I believe this one is of the execution of those found guilty and were allegedly in involved in President Lincoln's Assassination. I believe the man in the white coat is putting the noose around the neck of Mary Surratt. I just googled it and I am correct.

On July 7, 1865, Mary Surratt became the first woman in American history to be executed. Along with co-conspirators in the Lincoln assassination: Lewis Powell, David Herold, and George Atzerodt, Surratt was hung from the gallows at the Washington Arsenal.

[Linked Image]

Garry-
Posted By: Trapset

Re: A Post Civil War Necktie Party... - 03/09/24 06:12 PM

That’s cool!
Posted By: AntiGov

Re: A Post Civil War Necktie Party... - 03/09/24 06:15 PM

Nice !
Posted By: Boco

Re: A Post Civil War Necktie Party... - 03/09/24 06:21 PM

Northerners hanging southerners?
Posted By: mad_mike

Re: A Post Civil War Necktie Party... - 03/09/24 06:50 PM

Americans hanging Americans.
Posted By: upstateNY

Re: A Post Civil War Necktie Party... - 03/09/24 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by Boco

That's exactly what a real Liberal would see.I see law abiding citezens hanging criminal murderers.Go hide your shotgun before your Man Queen finds it.
Posted By: Golf ball

Re: A Post Civil War Necktie Party... - 03/09/24 06:59 PM

Not all southern sympathizers were from the south .
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: A Post Civil War Necktie Party... - 03/09/24 07:01 PM

That could happen again some day. whistle
Posted By: KeithC

Re: A Post Civil War Necktie Party... - 03/09/24 07:45 PM

John Wilkes Booth, the actor who assassinated President Abraham Lincoln, was born in Maryland to English immigrant parents. Maryland did not secede and fought with the North, though it is South of the Mason Dixon Line. The conspirators came from both the North and the South.

During the Civil War, many Northerners fought with the South and many Southerners fought with the North. In some cases, brothers literally killed their brother in Civil War battles.

Keith
Posted By: randall brannon

Re: A Post Civil War Necktie Party... - 03/09/24 08:10 PM

Coming from the mouth of a person that is obviously a Liberal and not very well learned!!!
Posted By: randall brannon

Re: A Post Civil War Necktie Party... - 03/09/24 08:14 PM

In WV some of us fought for The North some for the South!! Obviously one person has never learned that. Ever hear of the Hatfield and McCoy Feud.?? Some of the McCoys from Kentucky fought for the North as well as the Hatfields. The animosity helped fuel the Feud but Timber stealing is what caused it.
Posted By: Mike C

Re: A Post Civil War Necktie Party... - 03/09/24 08:16 PM

Notice the bindings around her legs. Done to prevent her dress from flipping up and indecently exposing her legs.

Re: A Post Civil War Necktie Party... - 03/09/24 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by Mike C
Notice the bindings around her legs. Done to prevent her dress from flipping up and indecently exposing her legs.

It’s the small things that make a difference….

Re: A Post Civil War Necktie Party... - 03/09/24 08:49 PM

Honest question,since they were hung for assasinating Lincoln.
Lincoln was assasinated because he freed the slaves,which the southerners didnt like.
Or do you have some kind of "spin" on that too?
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: A Post Civil War Necktie Party... - 03/09/24 09:18 PM

Maryland was a slave state. Slaves in MD were NOT freed by the civil war. They were not freed till the constitution was amended 3 years later. Lincoln had no legal authority to make the emancipation proclamation and MD ignored it.

Re: A Post Civil War Necktie Party... - 03/09/24 09:29 PM

Delaware, Kentucky, and Missouri were slave states that stayed with the North too. Slavery was not the main reason for the Civil War. State rights vs. Federal rights were the main cause.

Keith
Posted By: Mando

Re: A Post Civil War Necktie Party... - 03/09/24 09:31 PM

Honest question,since they were hung for assasinating Lincoln.
Lincoln was assasinated because he freed the slaves,which the southerners didnt like.
Or do you have some kind of "spin" on that too?

Were they democrats yet or still southern dixiecrats?
Posted By: Golf ball

Re: A Post Civil War Necktie Party... - 03/09/24 09:33 PM

The civil war was NOT about slavery .

Re: A Post Civil War Necktie Party... - 03/09/24 09:39 PM

Just before his assassination Lincoln gave a speech about giving the emancipated slaves the vote,and Booth said "that means giving the N------ citizenship-that will be the last speech he ever gives",then shortly after Booth assasinated Lincoln.
And Booth fled south after the assasination.
So what "Rights" were they fighting for and against?

Re: A Post Civil War Necktie Party... - 03/09/24 09:47 PM

The thing I liked about the situation is that Lincoln was assassinated on a April 14 and died on April 15, 1865, and these people were caught, tried and hung 3 months and 3 days later. There were no appeals... There was no waiting 10 to 20 years before the execution. I would certainly like to see that kind of action today... including the public hangings.

Garry-

Re: A Post Civil War Necktie Party... - 03/09/24 09:50 PM

Agreed, Garry.
Posted By: trapdog1

Re: A Post Civil War Necktie Party... - 03/09/24 09:51 PM

Just before his assassination Lincoln gave a speech about giving the emancipated slaves the vote,and Booth said "that means giving the N------ citizenship-that will be the last speech he ever gives",then shortly after Booth assasinated Lincoln.
And Booth fled south after the assasination.
So what "Rights" were they fighting for and against?

Booth was just one nut job. Not like he spoke for everybody.

Re: A Post Civil War Necktie Party... - 03/09/24 10:00 PM

By the way... I was going to also say that Abraham Lincoln was My 5th cousin, and John Harrison Surratt, the husband of Mary ELizabeth Jenkins Surratt was my 3 cousin.

Abe was from my mother's side and Surratt was from father's side of the families.

Garry-

Re: A Post Civil War Necktie Party... - 03/09/24 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by Actor
By the way... I was going to also say that Abraham Lincoln was My 5th cousin, and John Harrison Surratt, the husband of Mary ELizabeth Jenkins Surratt was my 3 cousin.

Abe was from my mother's side and Surratt was from father's side of the families.

Garry-

Garry, here's my closest relationships to them.

"Relationship to John Harrison Surratt I
The husband of my 8th cousin five times removed

Relationship to President Abraham Lincoln
My 8th cousin six times removed"

A little over 3/4 of major American historical figures I have searched are cousins of mine. I had over 300 ancestors here before 1700, including many of the first settlers of Jamestown and 3 pilgrims. 7 more pilgrims were aunts or uncles. There was not many white people back then in the US, so most people who have deep American roots are related.

A few weeks ago I checked the grandparents of a friend of mine, from West Virginia. All four of his grandparents were related to 3 of my grandparents, in many ways. Even though our last common ancestors were from the 1600s, a DNA test would likely show us as first or second cousins.

I suspect almost of us are cousins, but mostly don't know it. I know you and I are cousins, several ways.

Keith

Posted By: steeltraps

Re: A Post Civil War Necktie Party... - 03/09/24 11:40 PM

Originally Posted by Law Dog

The south will be better armed this time! We have AR -15s this go round.

Re: A Post Civil War Necktie Party... - 03/11/24 03:18 PM

Huh?

Yeah, we don’t have them thingys up here. confused LOL wink grin
Posted By: 160user

Re: A Post Civil War Necktie Party... - 03/11/24 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by steeltraps
Originally Posted by Law Dog

The south will be better armed this time! We have AR -15s this go round.

And 9mm's that suck your lungs right out too?

Re: A Post Civil War Necktie Party... - 03/11/24 03:30 PM

They just might….

I am a 10mm fan, so even better….
Posted By: OhioBoy

Re: A Post Civil War Necktie Party... - 03/11/24 04:41 PM

Most people don't realize these dates and I will add it b/c its interesting.

April 09, 1865 - Robert E Lee Surrendered.
April 14, 1865 - Booth shot Lincoln.

Originally Posted by Actor
The thing I liked about the situation is that Lincoln was assassinated on a April 14 and died on April 15, 1865, and these people were caught, tried and hung 3 months and 3 days later. There were no appeals... There was no waiting 10 to 20 years before the execution. I would certainly like to see that kind of action today... including the public hangings.

Garry-
Posted By: OhioBoy

Re: A Post Civil War Necktie Party... - 03/11/24 04:56 PM

When the states succeeded they wrote letters much like we wrote our declaration of Independence to England.

I'd encourage you to read them and note how many times slavery is mentioned as to the actual reason listed by that particular state to leave the union.

https://digital.sfasu.edu/digital/collection/EastTexRC/id/3841

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by Golf ball
The civil war was NOT about slavery .
Posted By: Guss

Re: A Post Civil War Necktie Party... - 03/11/24 05:20 PM

They should have a necktie party in DC.

Re: A Post Civil War Necktie Party... - 03/11/24 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by Guss
They should have a necktie party in DC.

Should have been having them from long ago to present.
Posted By: jk

Re: A Post Civil War Necktie Party... - 03/11/24 05:48 PM

Show us some other photos you have. Very interesting......jk
Posted By: Larry Baer

Re: A Post Civil War Necktie Party... - 03/11/24 07:49 PM

I think we will see this again. It will need to be on TV right in front of us so other criminals see it.
Posted By: Osagan

Re: A Post Civil War Necktie Party... - 03/11/24 09:21 PM

Notice the gallows in the picture. You can tell it was hastily built and not a permanent structure. Knocked together just for this infamous event.
There is no trap door. Anyone that watches old westerns has seen a gallows with a trap door.
They must have just walked the condemned to the edge and then pushed them off. Hands and feet are tied so they cannot try to get their feet back on the edge.
Posted By: Scuba1

Re: A Post Civil War Necktie Party... - 03/11/24 10:11 PM

Heck I can make the lumber for one of those contraptions in a weekend and have plenty of rope
Posted By: Osagan

Re: A Post Civil War Necktie Party... - 03/11/24 10:30 PM

Here's one for you. Only pic of Lincoln in state known to exist.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Savell

Re: A Post Civil War Necktie Party... - 03/12/24 01:07 AM

Oran Milo Roberts is an American hero
Posted By: Raghorn67

Re: A Post Civil War Necktie Party... - 03/12/24 01:52 AM

Man oh man.
You could flat wear out a Gallow 10 times that size just on the rich men north of Richmond.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums