Home

Pre paying at gas station

Posted By: DHH

Pre paying at gas station - 03/03/24 03:19 AM

In my travels I find it hard to find any place that doesn't require you to go in and prepay before you pump . Not a fan of swiping a card at the pump , so make the walk in to give cashier money in advance then walk back in after pumping to get money back the whole time thinking about all the tramp's that have drove off making businesses having to go to this . Fricken losers out there
Posted By: TurkeyWrangler

Re: Pre paying at gas station - 03/03/24 03:24 AM

I can't afford more than ten dollars worth at a time so I never have to make that second walk. grin
Posted By: 2poor

Re: Pre paying at gas station - 03/03/24 03:26 AM

I live in a rural community where it is completely acceptable to pump your gas , then pay Cash.

I haven’t bought gas at a Kwik Trip since their policy became you pre-pay or use a Card.
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: Pre paying at gas station - 03/03/24 03:44 AM

Got a real gas station close to me. Has a shop. Fixes tires. Sells them. Brakes, whatever you need. Gas is about ten cents higher but its full service. I tip the attendant. Buy most of my gas there. Standing in line twice chaps my hide.
Posted By: Dirty D

Re: Pre paying at gas station - 03/03/24 04:56 AM

my times have changed.
I was in rural South Dakota one time on a Sunday..
We were low on gas so we found the nearest town.
A small town with one gas station.
It was closed. Bummer.
Across the street was a small grocery store that was open so we figured we'd ask where the nearest station might be that was open.
Lady in the store told us that even tho the place across the street was closed the pumps were still on.
Just pump what you need and slide the money thru the mail slot on the door.
You could see the cash on the floor in the station when we paid. We weren't the first one here on Sunday it seemed.
Just love that South Dakota hospitality.
Posted By: Turtledale

Re: Pre paying at gas station - 03/03/24 09:27 AM

I live next to a Seneca Indian Reservation every one of them pumps your gas for you and washes your back window. I know some places will check your oil if you ask, my Mom used to have it done.
They take cash or card. You can do it yourself too if you want. They also have self serve pumps. It all the same price.
Off the reservation it's all gone to pre pay inside or use your card outside because of drive offs. You'll never get rid of scumbags and thieves, the catering to the druggies have made it worse.
Posted By: ozark trapper ia

Re: Pre paying at gas station - 03/03/24 11:31 AM

Mount Vernon South Dakota has a place we filled a crane and two semi trucks and the guy inside said write the amount on a piece of paper and bring it in. I bought all my fuel at that place the two weeks we were there.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Pre paying at gas station - 03/03/24 11:38 AM

Those were the Days...
Posted By: WhiteCliffs

Re: Pre paying at gas station - 03/03/24 11:54 AM

I like pay at the pump. Hate going inside to wait in line while someone buy five lottery tickets and then has to scratch them all off. The place I usually go is a distributor and has non ethynol, farm diesel and gas. Get it day or night with a card. Havent seen anyone there the last dozen times I have been. Office closed every time. Get it and go. My kind of place
Posted By: slue-foot

Re: Pre paying at gas station - 03/03/24 11:59 AM

Got to LOVE the rural Midwest!!
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: Pre paying at gas station - 03/03/24 12:08 PM

Get it day or night with a card. Havent seen anyone there the last dozen times I have been. Office closed every time. Get it and go. My kind of place
Untill someone puts a scanner on the pump or how ever they do it. Find out your checking account has been cleaned out a few days later. I use my credit card when I need gas someplace thats "modern" but I sure dont like it.
Posted By: Whopper Stopper

Re: Pre paying at gas station - 03/03/24 12:08 PM

Several stations around me have gone back to pay at the pump or pay inside.

WS
Posted By: hippie

Re: Pre paying at gas station - 03/03/24 12:37 PM

The local store here went to pay first after some illegals stole a truck, stole plates of a different truck and put on it and then filled up and drove off.

My brother gets a call from the police saying if he went back and paid, the owners wouldn't have him arrested. He informed them he was in a different state hauling a load and it couldn't have been him.

Here it was his pick up they stole the plates off of, and the cameras caught, lol.
Posted By: trapperkeck

Re: Pre paying at gas station - 03/03/24 12:46 PM

Sam's club and Costco will only take cards. I buy, nearly, all my gas there. I save an average of $0.25/gal. Never had a card hacked and I purchase right at 2,000 gallons a year.
Posted By: Guss

Re: Pre paying at gas station - 03/03/24 01:54 PM

That's why I don't gas up at quick trip anymore the gas station next to them will turn the pumps on for ya. I don't like paying before I get the gas.

Re: Pre paying at gas station - 03/03/24 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by Guss
That's why I don't gas up at quick trip anymore the gas station next to them will turn the pumps on for ya. I don't like paying before I get the gas.

It’s impossible to estimate how much my motorcycle needs. So I would have to enter station and flip a $20 to turn on pump. Might be $14 or $19 I can’t accurately estimate. Forces me to re-enter to receive change. No longer a Convenience store or anything Kwik about it !
Posted By: Turtledale

Re: Pre paying at gas station - 03/03/24 02:23 PM

2 poor, that's why we pay with the card when out riding the bikes. Very convenient not to go in at all
Posted By: trapdog1

Re: Pre paying at gas station - 03/03/24 02:27 PM

I always pay at the pump anymore and never go into the store. Which is why this option has never made sense to me on one level because inside sales is where convenience stores make their money.
Posted By: jalstat

Re: Pre paying at gas station - 03/03/24 02:38 PM

That is great . I usually go to a local stations that allow me to pump before I pay and surprising one that does is Murphy at Walmart, used to fill at Casey’s when they took checks or pump first but since they changed the policy I rarely go in one

Re: Pre paying at gas station - 03/03/24 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by Turtledale
2 poor, that's why we pay with the card when out riding the bikes. Very convenient not to go in at all

Nobody needs to know where I was on my bike ! And quite frankly I typically ride long enough I do need to go inside. Just not twice !
Posted By: ceelmo.trap

Re: Pre paying at gas station - 03/03/24 03:39 PM

In my area there or only 2 places left where you can pump and pay.The cause of the pay then pump is all those honest people that pump and drive off.
Posted By: snowy

Re: Pre paying at gas station - 03/03/24 05:19 PM

Several places here in small towns still have a person come out and fill for yah. So, then you go in and pay. I only put in 20$ worth at a time don't want to die with a fortune in gas in the tank.

Was through ND some years back no station open but a call number if you needed gas. I called a very kind older gentleman came up and filled the tank. You don't see that often either, great people in the high plains area and across the mid-section and west still.
Posted By: ~ADC~

Re: Pre paying at gas station - 03/03/24 06:05 PM

I just swipe a card. Saves money by not going inside and falling for some impulse item or another. I almost never go inside.
Posted By: charles

Re: Pre paying at gas station - 03/03/24 07:13 PM

Counted on purchasing gas at a location that was always open. Drove through the town about 11pm and the business was closed. I went to the police station and asked if I could sleep in the jail until the next morning. They agreed. They called the station owner and he opened for me. It was Christmas Eve and I was young and foolish. This was about 1968.
Posted By: hippie

Re: Pre paying at gas station - 03/03/24 07:38 PM

I've had countless calls from credit card companies wanting me to use their company at my business.

No dice! They wanted and this was the lowest...4%. I told them to take a hike unless it was 0 for me because they should and probably do make their money from the borrowers.

Don't blame the business if they charge extra for card purchases, its money out of their pocket.
Posted By: bblwi

Re: Pre paying at gas station - 03/04/24 05:32 AM

I don't mind using a card. We buy script cards say about 3-500 dollars worth at a time and use those at our local Kwik Trip stations or when we travel. Our church gets 3-4% of the trade amount. We drive quite a bit and will buy about 1500 to 2500 gallons of gas per year.

Bryce
Posted By: OhioBoy

Re: Pre paying at gas station - 03/04/24 06:21 PM

My town still has full service.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums