Home

More food places taking cash not cards.

Posted By: Guss

More food places taking cash not cards. - 03/02/24 05:23 PM

Since I travel for work I see alot of motels wanting cash over cards here in Wisconsin I know it's not just here that does it. Do you think it's just because Biden in the WH?.
Posted By: trapdog1

Re: More food places taking cash not cards. - 03/02/24 05:26 PM

I've never seen a motel that will take cash.
Posted By: ~ADC~

Re: More food places taking cash not cards. - 03/02/24 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by trapdog1

They will but they have to have a card on file in case you trash the room.

Re: More food places taking cash not cards. - 03/02/24 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by ~ADC~

They will but they have to have a card on file in case you trash the room.

Although I suppose there are some pay by the hour joints........
Posted By: corky

Re: More food places taking cash not cards. - 03/02/24 05:40 PM

More and more restaurants around here are offering discounts for cash. The card companies are charging vendors more so they can offer cashbacks to cardholders. Vicious circle.
Posted By: Ohio Wolverine

Re: More food places taking cash not cards. - 03/02/24 07:54 PM

Had a gas station here that used to put a cut out ad in the local paper.
5 Cents off a gallon of gas with this cut out and paid in cash.
It was because of the cards charging so much.

Re: More food places taking cash not cards. - 03/02/24 08:03 PM

1.5% or so I would guess maybe more.
Posted By: walleyed

Re: More food places taking cash not cards. - 03/02/24 08:05 PM

I used motels for business trips for 40 years
and never, ever used a credit card once !!!

w
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: More food places taking cash not cards. - 03/02/24 08:28 PM

I have never had a motel refuse cash. I also dont get the credit card thing. anybody slimey enough to steal towels and break the tv is slimey enough to call the credit card company and say the extra charge is not valid. If the slimey one lives in another state they are not even going to be served. IF they are served and dont show up they can still refuse to pay. At 80 bucks a night for a "cheap" room they will be fine. Most people dont do that stuff. I think they are hoping by getting a credit card the slimey one will be intimidated into not stealing the toilet.
Posted By: EdP

Re: More food places taking cash not cards. - 03/02/24 08:36 PM

Many card services offer 1% or 1.5% back on all purchases AND offer 3% or 5% back on food and motel. Sounds like the food and motel services are fighting back as that is a direct cut out of their profit margin.

Re: More food places taking cash not cards. - 03/02/24 08:46 PM

I get 5% for motels and restaurants. That money comes from the bank out of the pockets of those who dont pay their card off every month.
Posted By: newtoga

Re: More food places taking cash not cards. - 03/02/24 09:25 PM

4% is what most financial institutions charge venders, sometimes less but figure 4%
Posted By: trappingthomas

Re: More food places taking cash not cards. - 03/02/24 09:52 PM

Been getting rooms since the early 90's and never used cash.
Posted By: Northof50

Re: More food places taking cash not cards. - 03/02/24 10:07 PM

cash = off shore holding company = no taxes collected or paid
Posted By: SNIPERBBB

Re: More food places taking cash not cards. - 03/02/24 10:38 PM

Originally Posted by EdP
Many card services offer 1% or 1.5% back on all purchases AND offer 3% or 5% back on food and motel. Sounds like the food and motel services are fighting back as that is a direct cut out of their profit margin.

Stores aren't losing money because of cashback rewards. Card companies/payment processors charge a percentage or flat fee Everytime the card is swiped to the store. Most stores have a minimum purchase amount before taking a card.
Posted By: Jingles

Re: More food places taking cash not cards. - 03/02/24 10:47 PM

Everything but grocery stores add 5% if using credit or debit cards locally
Posted By: charles

Re: More food places taking cash not cards. - 03/02/24 10:48 PM

When small business ask for cash, they may not be recording all their income. That is stealing from you and me. Tax evasion.

Re: More food places taking cash not cards. - 03/02/24 10:50 PM

With the way uncle sugar is spending money I don't blame them
Posted By: 52Carl

Re: More food places taking cash not cards. - 03/02/24 11:41 PM

Originally Posted by charles
When small business ask for cash, they may not be recording all their income. That is stealing from you and me. Tax evasion.

How is that stealing from me?
The feds and states are stealing from me and giving my money to people who don't want to work for it as much as I do. On top of that, the feds are running trillions of dollars in deficit every year.
If I can help out a small business in return for a better price by paying in cash, I see it as cutting out the government from misappropriating his and my hard earned money.
I welcome you to come back in and tell me how I am wrong and what the long term ramifications would be if we all did this.
I will then point you to the part about the trillions in deficit every year. They don't care.
There will be a breaking point to their deficit spending madness, but it will have nothing to do with whether I pay cash or not.

Re: More food places taking cash not cards. - 03/02/24 11:45 PM

Most of the old motel owners use the cash for their retirement and you can't trace cash.

Re: More food places taking cash not cards. - 03/02/24 11:49 PM

Originally Posted by danny clifton
I get 5% for motels and restaurants. That money comes from the bank out of the pockets of those who dont pay their card off every month.

No , it comes from whoever excepts the card, 3% usually , one reason some places charge more for a card around here.
It's posted at the register in some places.

Re: More food places taking cash not cards. - 03/02/24 11:54 PM

Originally Posted by walleyed

I used motels for business trips for 40 years
and never, ever used a credit card once !!!

w

I travel for business quite a bit too. I've seen enough "credit card only" signs that I assumed they are all that way. I've never tried to pay with cash because I don't carry much on the road. Interesting.

Re: More food places taking cash not cards. - 03/02/24 11:55 PM

Just think , once everyone uses a card to pay , there won't be a need for cash!
Think about it, everything will be traced, everything you buy will be on record.
IMHO Just another way the government takes more control of us.

Re: More food places taking cash not cards. - 03/03/24 02:10 AM

I got 5% back for an oil change at the dealer the other day. Dealer charged 3% more for using the card. So I got 2% The card is a jeep credit card. I called to complain to the card company when I looked at the bill after getting home and they said there was nothing they could do. I did not buy the extended warranty so thats the last oil change at the dealer. Next oil change will be at 36000 when the warranty expires.

I never seen where a motel or restaurant charges less for cash. The meat locker where I buy beef gives a good discount for cash.

Re: More food places taking cash not cards. - 03/03/24 02:14 AM

Ohio Wolverine, if that happens its the end of the drug trade. So it aint gonna happen.

Re: More food places taking cash not cards. - 03/03/24 02:18 AM

Ohio Wolverine, if that happens its the end of the drug trade. So it aint gonna happen.

You don't think the corrupt government won't find a way?

Re: More food places taking cash not cards. - 03/03/24 02:20 AM

I agree it's hard to imagine a cashless society , but then again I found it hard to believe in a wireless phone too.
Posted By: 2poor

Re: More food places taking cash not cards. - 03/03/24 02:41 AM

Personally, I can’t blame them !
Posted By: BandB

Re: More food places taking cash not cards. - 03/03/24 02:46 AM

We've got several businesses around here that tack on e to 5% if using a card. It's not added if check or cash.
Posted By: yotetrapper30

Re: More food places taking cash not cards. - 03/03/24 02:52 AM

No it's not. It's stealing from the illegal immigrants, welfare queens, Ukraine, and the green energy businesses that we subsidize.
Posted By: Hydropillar

Re: More food places taking cash not cards. - 03/03/24 04:58 AM

I got 5% back for an oil change at the dealer the other day. Dealer charged 3% more for using the card. So I got 2% The card is a jeep credit card. I called to complain to the card company when I looked at the bill after getting home and they said there was nothing they could do. I did not buy the extended warranty so thats the last oil change at the dealer. Next oil change will be at 36000 when the warranty expires.

I never seen where a motel or restaurant charges less for cash. The meat locker where I buy beef gives a good discount for cash.

my butcher shop gives me good deals on cash...... (This word is unacceptable on Trapperman) freezer burn
Posted By: walleyed

Re: More food places taking cash not cards. - 03/03/24 05:14 AM

Well Charles,

That's the general idea.

Oh, there is some stealing going on, for sure.

It's also known as government taxes !!!

Good for them !!!

w
© 2024 Trapperman Forums