Home

Weird, but useful or amusing things you teach dogs

Posted By: KeithC

Weird, but useful or amusing things you teach dogs - 02/28/24 03:50 AM

Most people teach their dogs to come, sit, fetch, go in, load up and similar commands. Is there anything you teach your dogs that is uncommon, but useful or amusing?

For instance, my dogs are taught to all howl together on command and stop on command. It's somewhat useful for scaring predators away from our farm, but mostly it just makes Diane and I happy.

I had a feist, named Dingle, who I often used to start and train beagle and German shorthaired pointer puppies. If the pups weren't listening, I would tell her to catch and hold them. She would pin them to the ground until I told her to release them. I used her to start lots of beagles, 27 of whom later became champions. Dingle also knew left and right. I could use her to push the pups I was training into the brush and wherever I wanted them to go.

My catahoula, Brandy, will jump onto and sit on anything I tell her to. I used to set up lots of plastic, 55 gallon barrels and have her jump up and down and across them. Brandy liked doing it so much, she would just run to them and start doing it.

Our beagle, Gummy, does pirouettes and will switch direction when told to. She also mimics Diane's facial expressions. She will show all of her teeth, in a big smile like expression, if we say "Cheesy Gummy".

What weird tricks do you teach your dogs?

Keith
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: Weird, but useful or amusing things you teach dogs - 02/28/24 03:57 AM

I don't have anything weird , but put most of the voice commands to hand signals

especially , sit , down , stay and come

clerks at the hardware store , farm and fleet and similar places you can take your dog in the store think it is the slickest thing when I have the dog sit or down while I check out and it is all silent.
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: Weird, but useful or amusing things you teach dogs - 02/28/24 04:05 AM

Had a lab mutt best dog ever he’d watch me eating if I looked at him he’d look away like was not staring at me.
Posted By: yotetrapper30

Re: Weird, but useful or amusing things you teach dogs - 02/28/24 04:35 AM

I used to have a dog that would catch chickens. I'd just point, and he'd go catch it and hold it unharmed until I collected it.

Miss him and his skill a lot!
Posted By: KeithC

Re: Weird, but useful or amusing things you teach dogs - 02/28/24 04:43 AM

Originally Posted by yotetrapper30
I used to have a dog that would catch chickens. I'd just point, and he'd go catch it and hold it unharmed until I collected it.

Miss him and his skill a lot!

That's a very useful skill for a dog to have. Dingle would catch and hold chickens and domestic rabbits, when they would get out, when I told her to too. Dingle was a mix bred, feist type dog. We used her for falconry a lot. I used her to hunt upland gamebirds, squirrels, rabbits, coons, vermin, opossums and groundhogs. She climbed 26' up in an oak tree once, after a fox squirrel. She could climb ladders too. What breed was your dog?

Keith
Posted By: FL cracker in AK

Re: Weird, but useful or amusing things you teach dogs - 02/28/24 04:57 AM

My yellow lab, Fiesty, is a moose shed finding machine. I just say "antler", and she is looking and sniffing, can find them by smell, or if they are upwind and visible by sight. Also knows my different kids by name, I say my son Jubal's name, and she immediately seeks him out. Good in case they ever get lost in the bush.
Posted By: Slick Pan

Re: Weird, but useful or amusing things you teach dogs - 02/28/24 05:01 AM

My wife has a terrier which I don't much like. I have trained it to not like cats which I don't like either. So if the wife ticks me off I say CAT and the dog goes crazy so much so the wife has to take the dog outside to try and find the cat. Works well. I get the dog and wife out of the house at the same time.
Posted By: elkaholic

Re: Weird, but useful or amusing things you teach dogs - 02/28/24 05:43 AM

I didn't teach mine "come".

I taught her "touch".

We took her into TSC one day and she got loose from the wife.

She was in the back of the store playing with an employee.

I yelled "Lily Touch".

She was breaking speed records to get back to me.

The employee said he never saw a dog give up playing that fast and run to a command.

I've also taught her that when the back door gets opened she has to go sit next to it and wait for her leash too be put on.
Posted By: Paul Dobbins

Re: Weird, but useful or amusing things you teach dogs - 02/28/24 06:10 AM

Our Molly was taught that when approaching a door, she had to wait for her master to enter before she did.
Posted By: Nittany Lion

Re: Weird, but useful or amusing things you teach dogs - 02/28/24 08:15 AM

We have a Scottish Terrier that will go to the bed if I say, "take nap" and If I say, "get squeaker" she gets a ball that squeaks, to play fetch.
Posted By: Cragar

Re: Weird, but useful or amusing things you teach dogs - 02/28/24 09:47 AM

I had a JRT that used to ride the motorcycle with me. She also was trained to ride in a ski tube behind the boat at 10mph.

A wierd trick she learned was to bite out a lit match.

JRT's are smart and easy to train.
Posted By: nightlife

Re: Weird, but useful or amusing things you teach dogs - 02/28/24 10:30 AM

My old dog would find morals when told find the srooms
Posted By: Broomchaser

Re: Weird, but useful or amusing things you teach dogs - 02/28/24 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by Slick Pan
My wife has a terrier which I don't much like. I have trained it to not like cats which I don't like either. So if the wife ticks me off I say CAT and the dog goes crazy so much so the wife has to take the dog outside to try and find the cat. Works well. I get the dog and wife out of the house at the same time.

That is slick.
Posted By: Providence Farm

Re: Weird, but useful or amusing things you teach dogs - 02/28/24 11:20 AM

Back when I was running and competing in NSTRA with my German shorthair, and English setters I had the whoa train or they would stop on a dime. It didn't matter if they were 600 yards away if I hollered whoa they wouldn't move one of my short hairs would literally slide in the mud 6 feet not moving her feet from the time I said whoa. It was good for training and getting them to not bust birds when they're on point it was really nice if they were running and getting ready to cross the road or somewhere where there was traffic and you can see a car or anything coming you can get them to stop. I would also trying to where they would point if I said bird but that was a trial cheat if they didn't see your smell of bird and I did I could get him to a point and I can flush the bird and throw it up or shoot it if it flew on its own and get the points to move on and find the next bird. Another trial cheat was when they learned to 4wheeler track,. Since they put the birds out in the field on 4 wheelers if they tracked the path it took they would find the birds much faster vs searching the entire field. I never trained then for that but the smart ones picked it up on their own.
Posted By: OhioBoy

Re: Weird, but useful or amusing things you teach dogs - 02/28/24 11:45 AM

I had a beagle I could point to the ground and it would stop whatever it was doing and come pick up the track there.

At Christmas time there was a weiner dog we could tell to open her present and she would dive under the tree rooting through packages that had been there for weeks and bring out her wrapped dog toy and and unwrap it.

I had a dog that would ride in the back of the truck like an old farm dog.

I had a coon dog that wouldn't pull on the lead if you can believe it. That was nice.

Coyote dogs used to help pull out the coyotes.

I should get another hunting dog.
Posted By: west river rogue

Re: Weird, but useful or amusing things you teach dogs - 02/28/24 01:03 PM

I teach my dog useful and helpful things. He is a working dog. Knows around 35 phrases and gets spelling. He finds my son when outside and i ask him. Finds shot squirrels... All the normal commands... Brings my hat, brings my shoes or slippers, plays fetch, finds many things i ask. Guards the house,protects us,protects anything here...an unusual border collie scared of nothing. He even herds coyotes if i dont call him off. Top u.k. breeding for livestock and protector .All in all around 35-40 useful chores. Herds everything.
Posted By: Gulo

Re: Weird, but useful or amusing things you teach dogs - 02/28/24 01:21 PM

With an airplane dog, always in a rush to get somewhere. Always taught my dogs to crap on command so I wasn't waiting on them. Always used the command "Tony Knowles". He was the governor of Alaska at the time, and not my favorite person. Most people got a chuckle out of the dogs when I'd say quietly, "Tony Knowles", and the dog would immediately squat and wink a steamer right there.

Also, teaching them to "shake" was important around the airplane. It was to get them to shake off the rain or snow before they hopped in the 'plane.

Jack
Posted By: loosegoose

Re: Weird, but useful or amusing things you teach dogs - 02/28/24 01:25 PM

My older cattle dog will go nuts at "squirell", "kitty", or "get em". He'll grab whatever toy or blanket or shirt is nearby (or your arm, if that's what's available) and thrash it as if he's trying to kill it. The kids friends find it hilarious to sic him on each other.
Posted By: Gulo

Re: Weird, but useful or amusing things you teach dogs - 02/28/24 01:26 PM

Also, taught my dogs "go wide". They'd go around the back of the airplane to hop in the passenger seat. It keeps them well away from the prop, which might well do damage to them or the engine. Very useful command.

Jack
Posted By: Eagleye

Re: Weird, but useful or amusing things you teach dogs - 02/28/24 01:26 PM

Steadiness
[Linked Image]

Re: Weird, but useful or amusing things you teach dogs - 02/28/24 01:27 PM

Another red this morning last 5 min and he brought it and dropped it at my feet [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Scuba1

Re: Weird, but useful or amusing things you teach dogs - 02/28/24 03:00 PM

Finnigan has a dozen or so different toys and knows everyone of them. When I tell him to bring a particular one, he will find it and bring it to me. Both Fin and Ellie are trained to stay under any bird of pray that comes over our place to discourage them from swooping down and get a chicken.

Re: Weird, but useful or amusing things you teach dogs - 02/28/24 03:42 PM

He was after this one monday in my pasture until i called him off. Figured this ugly old dog wasnt real healthy. [Linked Image]
Posted By: Vinke

Re: Weird, but useful or amusing things you teach dogs - 02/28/24 03:53 PM

My shepherd will lay down at intersections without being told so i can see.
Posted By: ol' dad

Re: Weird, but useful or amusing things you teach dogs - 02/28/24 03:55 PM

I used to have a labrador that could pick stocks. She wasn't very good at it.

Ol dad
Posted By: Trapset

Re: Weird, but useful or amusing things you teach dogs - 02/28/24 04:53 PM

My little Red Lab “Kit” will get me a beer out of the shop frig.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Weird, but useful or amusing things you teach dogs - 02/28/24 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by loosegoose
My older cattle dog will go nuts at "squirell", "kitty", or "get em". He'll grab whatever toy or blanket or shirt is nearby (or your arm, if that's what's available) and thrash it as if he's trying to kill it. The kids friends find it hilarious to sic him on each other.

Hilarious
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: Weird, but useful or amusing things you teach dogs - 02/28/24 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by Providence Farm
Back when I was running and competing in NSTRA with my German shorthair, and English setters I had the whoa train or they would stop on a dime. It didn't matter if they were 600 yards away if I hollered whoa they wouldn't move one of my short hairs would literally slide in the mud 6 feet not moving her feet from the time I said whoa. It was good for training and getting them to not bust birds when they're on point it was really nice if they were running and getting ready to cross the road or somewhere where there was traffic and you can see a car or anything coming you can get them to stop. I would also trying to where they would point if I said bird but that was a trial cheat if they didn't see your smell of bird and I did I could get him to a point and I can flush the bird and throw it up or shoot it if it flew on its own and get the points to move on and find the next bird. Another trial cheat was when they learned to 4wheeler track,. Since they put the birds out in the field on 4 wheelers if they tracked the path it took they would find the birds much faster vs searching the entire field. I never trained then for that but the smart ones picked it up on their own.

how do you train Whoa , what's your technique , I need that one with the new German wire hair
Posted By: upstateNY

Re: Weird, but useful or amusing things you teach dogs - 02/28/24 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by Trapset
My little Red Lab “Kit” will get me a beer out of the shop frig.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I would have had him bring me that bottle of Canadian Club instead. smile
Posted By: randall brannon

Re: Weird, but useful or amusing things you teach dogs - 02/28/24 09:13 PM

My wifes dog is a Great Dane. We had her trained to get the paper. She would say Paper. Then she would have about 5 of them in her big Great Dane mouth. We quit doing it because we did not want to upsetthe neighbors. She can still go to Hardware store and when we drop the leash we say Treat and she willgo into that section and bring back her favorite. we did it at Pick n save one time and she brought back a whole packaged Rottiserie chicken so we don't take her to the Grocery store anymore.
Posted By: BigBob

Re: Weird, but useful or amusing things you teach dogs - 02/28/24 09:29 PM

I train my Beagles the usual verbal command, plus I teach them those commands with a Whistle, sound carries a LOT further than my voice and is discernable over a field on a windy day.
I also train them to run Rabbits while wearing a fishing bell on their collars so I can keep track of them in the weeds.
Posted By: Sshaffer

Re: Weird, but useful or amusing things you teach dogs - 02/28/24 09:47 PM

Not me but my daughter taught her Dachshund many neat tricks. One was to play dead as if he was shot.

You could walk by him, point your finger at him like a gun, and say bang. He would let out a yipe, flop onto his back and play dead.
Was so darn cool!!
Posted By: Lugnut

Re: Weird, but useful or amusing things you teach dogs - 02/28/24 11:15 PM

I keep the seatbelt on the passenger seat of my truck fastened because my labs like to sit there and the sensor will think there’s a human sitting there and the audible warning chime will go on endlessly.

One of them, the one that usually ends up getting the shotgun seat, has started buckling himself in. He simply slips under the shoulder harness and remains like that for the rest of the trip most times.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: jtg

Re: Weird, but useful or amusing things you teach dogs - 02/28/24 11:33 PM

My dad trained his dog to sit and stay and watch is grocery bag or anything else when he went into another store. He would sit there as long as it took. The dog would do many tricks and listen like a human.
When my dad got much older, my sister got a poodle who she could not control. My dad spent a few months with the dog and it learned all kinds of tricks, you could leave a piece of food in front of him and it would not touch until he told him. It was like a circus dog.
Posted By: duckndawg

Re: Weird, but useful or amusing things you teach dogs - 02/29/24 12:02 AM

I had a chocolate lab female that I taught to lay like a college girl mainly just to irritate the wife. Just say lay like a college and she would flop on her back and spread all 4 legs! I thought it was funny the wife not so much.
Posted By: poconobear

Re: Weird, but useful or amusing things you teach dogs - 02/29/24 12:48 AM

My wife taught our chocolate lab to clean up her toys. She says clean it and the dog will pick them up and put them in the basket. We also use verbal commands and hand signals
Posted By: jarentz

Re: Weird, but useful or amusing things you teach dogs - 02/29/24 01:09 AM

A rancher use to come into my father bar in Montana with his blue heeler.
The dog would sit on a bar stool next to him and drink beer out of a saucer,
folks would find that funny and would come over and play with the dog,once
someone thought they were friends with the dog the rancher would say I'll put a 100
dollar bill on the dash of my pickup with the dog inside and if you can reach in and get
it's yours. Nobody ever came back inside with a extra 100.
Posted By: MnJag

Re: Weird, but useful or amusing things you teach dogs - 02/29/24 01:23 AM

The wife taught the dog (black lab) she points at him and says bang and he lays down half on his back to pretend like he has just been shot. It kind of annoyed me when ducks were coming in and I told him down and he started doing that. I think it was because she was training him to do that and giving him a lot of treats as he only did it once. It is pretty cool when you show other people.
Posted By: Trapset

Re: Weird, but useful or amusing things you teach dogs - 02/29/24 01:50 AM

Both of my Chesapeakes are gone now but they grew up running the river with me. When I’d hit shallow water and needed weight up front, I’d just say “get up” and they would hit the deck. A whistle brought them back down so boat didn’t plow when it got deeper. The little red lab does it too but not near as heavy as the Chessies were.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
They look back when it starts getting shallow, don’t wanna miss the command. Lol
Posted By: cmcf

Re: Weird, but useful or amusing things you teach dogs - 02/29/24 02:39 AM

Granddad had a dog that would fetch the eggs in the morning out of the chicken coop, pipe, tobacco newspaper, and us kids, and just about anything else you needed. He was a squirrel hunting, fool, best dog ever saw.
Posted By: Bob_Iowa

Re: Weird, but useful or amusing things you teach dogs - 02/29/24 02:49 AM

Our lab when you say “time to go to the vet” he puts his ears down and won’t look at you for at least 5 minutes.
Posted By: Nessmuck

Re: Weird, but useful or amusing things you teach dogs - 02/29/24 02:50 AM

[Linked Image]

Just had to say to Jack.....Hold my Beer .
© 2024 Trapperman Forums