Home

Shoulder Impingement ...

Posted By: Crowfoot

Shoulder Impingement ... - 02/26/24 10:40 PM

All you folks that have had cuff surgery, any of ya had to deal with "impingement" , and the occasional spur ?

I've had 4 shots over the years ( I'm 66), last one only lasted 4 months. Doc said they'd likely go downhill from here. 3 months being the limit.

Just started looking into PT, and initially looks promising (I hate the knife, fearing a trigger happy mad scientist with a yacht payment).

Can you relate ? Care to share ?
Thanks
Posted By: Larry Baer

Re: Shoulder Impingement ... - 02/26/24 10:49 PM

I have had an employee off for a year and a half and had his 3rd surgery this morning. I would put it off all you can and if you have it done make sure your doc is a good one. Sorry for the negative post. Seems like the guy I know is having a lot of problems. I have no personal experience with this.
Posted By: kinley31

Re: Shoulder Impingement ... - 02/26/24 11:47 PM

I've had both shoulders done. Dr. removed 3/8" of the end of my clavicle on both sides. Left shoulder in 2002, right shoulder in 2010. If you have it done, I highly recommend physical therapy post surgery. It will help you recover quicker.
Posted By: 4zebra61

Re: Shoulder Impingement ... - 02/27/24 12:21 AM

I had both my ac joints snipped, the procedure is called a distal clavicle resection, they both healed up pretty fast, I lift weights 3 days a week and not a problem!
Posted By: Brian Mongeau

Re: Shoulder Impingement ... - 02/27/24 12:33 AM

Bone spur impingement, yup.. Had left done in 2007, right in 2010. Arthroscopic through 4 and 3 holes respectively. 6 or 8 weeks of therapy after. Hurts a bit after, but full range of motion and no pain since. Don't cheat on therapy and ice after done.

Re: Shoulder Impingement ... - 02/27/24 02:16 AM

Originally Posted by Larry Baer
I have had an employee off for a year and a half and had his 3rd surgery this morning. I would put it off all you can and if you have it done make sure your doc is a good one. Sorry for the negative post. Seems like the guy I know is having a lot of problems. I have no personal experience with this.

I don't mind negative, just wanting truth.
Thanks Larry.
I gather its about a 90% success rate. Some seem to end up worse off, regardless of the post PT.
Only regrets some have ... is not getting it done sooner.
Thanks folks, you really help.
Cheers.
Posted By: bleeohio

Re: Shoulder Impingement ... - 02/27/24 02:21 AM

I had my left done a few years ago. They gave me a shot in the neck before the operation for a pain block and my left lung collapsed and i had a heck of a time. I'm putting off doing my right shoulder as long as i can. I'm hoping it will stay together till my expiration date.
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: Shoulder Impingement ... - 02/27/24 04:54 AM

I ripped my cuffs several times I have one healing now from a fall last May in MO, it's about 85% healed just over the shoulder reaching up needs work. At first it was like a stroke victim about useless for the most part now it's not noticeable unless I'm lifting over chest height but it improves every month.

My PT is working it like its meant to be used to build the range of motion back. Spent the day picking up, moving and splinting huge rounds on the log splitter. There's a lot out there on the unneeded surgery that's being done on shoulders that would heal on their own.
Posted By: west river rogue

Re: Shoulder Impingement ... - 02/27/24 11:13 AM

both of mine have been torn badly several times. Still lift heavy weight and for me swimming helped more than pt several times. I"m 65 and still work like im 25.
Posted By: DaveP

Re: Shoulder Impingement ... - 02/27/24 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by bleeohio
I had my left done a few years ago. They gave me a shot in the neck before the operation for a pain block and my left lung collapsed and i had a heck of a time. I'm putting off doing my right shoulder as long as i can. I'm hoping it will stay together till my expiration date.

Not sure what they hit in my neck with that shot, but it troubled me for months.
Wasn't thrilled with results in right shoulder, July '23, so decided not to.proceed with left until it's unbearable.
Was told that one will probably need a total replacement at some point.

Re: Shoulder Impingement ... - 02/27/24 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by DaveP

Not sure what they hit in my neck with that shot, but it troubled me for months.
Wasn't thrilled with results in right shoulder, July '23, so decided not to.proceed with left until it's unbearable.
Was told that one will probably need a total replacement at some point.

Hope you both have better luck with the next one ..... if necessary.
Do you mind stating your age ?
I'm 66, and hope to be using/needing these arms for years to come.
Thanks again,
smile
Posted By: DaveP

Re: Shoulder Impingement ... - 02/27/24 01:33 PM

61, but I'm in pretty good shape for a man twice my age, lol

Re: Shoulder Impingement ... - 02/27/24 01:43 PM

Ha ... thanks Dave grin
Posted By: newhouse114

Re: Shoulder Impingement ... - 02/27/24 03:23 PM

I’ve had impingement syndrome four times, twice in each shoulder. I just deal with the pain and am careful for about six months and get over it! One thing that helped was dropping weight on my traditional bow from 75 lbs to 65 lbs!
Posted By: MJM

Re: Shoulder Impingement ... - 02/27/24 04:38 PM

Crowfoot You need to talk to Charles on here. It seems like he said he has had his operated on eight times. So it must work good.

Re: Shoulder Impingement ... - 02/27/24 04:53 PM

I was in my mid fifties when i had mine done that was 6-7 years ago. I wore my body out working road construction for over 30 years and after retiring i didn't want to spend my time getting rebuilt. Although it would be cool to be like the 6 million dollar man. I only need 5,999,999 more dollars to get it done.

Re: Shoulder Impingement ... - 02/27/24 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by MJM
Crowfoot You need to talk to Charles on here. It seems like he said he has had his operated on eight times. So it must work good.

Now there's a contradiction in terms if I ever saw one grin
Personally, I'd limit my Dr. to 7 attempts smile
Thanks MJM,
smile

Re: Shoulder Impingement ... - 02/27/24 04:59 PM

I was in my mid fifties when i had mine done that was 6-7 years ago. I wore my body out working road construction for over 30 years and after retiring i didn't want to spend my time getting rebuilt. Although it would be cool to be like the 6 million dollar man. I only need 5,999,999 more dollars to get it done.

So overall, how happy are you with the results ? Full range ? Like new again ? No pain ? or maybe not worth the endeavor ?
Thanks
Posted By: wy.wolfer

Re: Shoulder Impingement ... - 02/27/24 06:34 PM

Definitely do the PT as suggested. I learned the hard way on my first one, and did exactly as the Doctor ordered on the next two rotator cuff repairs. Went back to the Gym for a year after PT on both surgeries and did fine. ALSO, AND THIS IS IMPORTANT, don't let it go so long that it become more difficult to repair. Just a thought.

Re: Shoulder Impingement ... - 02/27/24 10:36 PM

Crow, overall it was well worth it. I was in a lot of pain and had limited movement before the procedure. Like others have said, definitely stick to the pt and the exercises. I have full range and no pain at all. If i get to the point of having my right one done, i'm gonna skip the neck shot, not going to chance the other lung ordeal. Good luck

Re: Shoulder Impingement ... - 02/27/24 11:11 PM

Thanks for all the input guys, much appreciated.
I have a bit flexibility with my work (machinist) schedule.
So for now I am not doing the things up high and overhead that get it irritated, and am doing exercises to strengthen the lower muscles and "open the gap".
Just 2 days of this shows a tad bit of improvement. The pain, when reaching, is not as "electrical" and hardly no pain at all when relaxing or doing minor work down low.
Maybe a month or so of this regiment will get me along for a while.
Here we go again .... yet another "lifestyle change".
Thanks again,
smile
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: Shoulder Impingement ... - 02/27/24 11:24 PM

It takes me about a year to get back to 90% been there several times.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums