Home

No more fast food

Posted By: Mando

No more fast food - 02/25/24 03:38 PM

I would do subway and cousins quite a bit. I remember 5 dollar foot longs. McD's once in a while. No more. Even restaurants are too expensive to go to at the frequency I used to go. I guess I won't be stimulating the economy too much anymore. Eating out cost have really outpaced income raises. Have any of you changed your habits or business as usual when it comes to dining out?
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: No more fast food - 02/25/24 03:42 PM

Culver’s is the best deal going for me.
Posted By: ceelmo.trap

Re: No more fast food - 02/25/24 03:49 PM

To Many things are costing to much its a treat like a pop used to be when I was a kid a treat.
Posted By: 2poor

Re: No more fast food - 02/25/24 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by Law Dog

I agree , wife and I eat well for $21. Always consistent quality !
Posted By: gcs

Re: No more fast food - 02/25/24 03:51 PM

never much of a fast food eater, but used to take Miss Daisy out to the diner or take out a few times a month... but when 2 hamburgers and 2 coffees went north of 40 bucks with tip, or 2 pancakes and coffee around the same price, I said we have to slow this down...
A real restaurant meal is a hardship now.... I sell product to the local fish store with a large restaurant trade, they claim the restaurants are dead right now, and I can see that when driving past them, plenty of parking available....
Posted By: Guss

Re: No more fast food - 02/25/24 04:13 PM

I just go to subways and culvers.
Posted By: Spike369

Re: No more fast food - 02/25/24 04:18 PM

Yea, wife and I don't go out too much anymore. Just too expensive for bad service plus most places are charging between 10 and 15 percent for a tip plus they keep your change if you pay cash.
Posted By: Cragar

Re: No more fast food - 02/25/24 04:20 PM

I've cut waaaaaay back.

Used to love the dollar menu stuff and other affordable eats.

Gotten too pricy.
Posted By: trapdog1

Re: No more fast food - 02/25/24 04:20 PM

I normally carry my lunch with me from home, but may grab fast food every now and then when I'm tired of my lunch box or the wife needs to go to the grocery store. I don't worry much about the cost when I do.
Posted By: Boco

Re: No more fast food - 02/25/24 04:25 PM

Reataurant meals are covered when we travel 90% of the time.
Very rarely eat at restaurant in home town,except the odd pizza or chinky.
The best meals by far are those cooked in the bush,at Camp.
Posted By: walleyed

Re: No more fast food - 02/25/24 04:30 PM

No doubt the $15.00 minimum wage has something
to do with sky high prices here in upstate New York State
for McDonald's.

I think minimum wage is even higher down in New York City.

Then when they take your order at the drive thru,
McDonald's management has their drive thru cashiers
pan handling you for your change trying to guilt you
into rounding up your bill to the next dollar for "charity".

I counter offer that by asking if they would like to donate to my
own personal charity, and give me a free senior citizen meal.

w
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: No more fast food - 02/25/24 04:39 PM

I dont eat fast food. Restaurants around here are either chinese or mexican. One American place left and a bbq tavern.
Posted By: Scuba1

Re: No more fast food - 02/25/24 04:56 PM

Nope I have not changed my habits on eating out one bit. In the last 4 years we have gone out to eat in a public place twice. We call going out to eat, me throwing some hickory chunks in the fire pit and tossing some meat on the grill above it.
Posted By: patrapperbuster

Re: No more fast food - 02/25/24 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by Scuba1
Nope I have not changed my habits on eating out one bit. In the last 4 years we have gone out to eat in a public place twice. We call going out to eat, me throwing some hickory chunks in the fire pit and tossing some meat on the grill above it.

X2
Posted By: la4wd54

Re: No more fast food - 02/25/24 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by Scuba1

Me X3
Posted By: randall brannon

Re: No more fast food - 02/25/24 06:22 PM

The closest thing we have to Fast Food is Deer Rabbit Grouse Pheasant and other critters. Throw in a Gtill with some good Hickory and Maple and you have a fast food meal. Those McDonalds people are too slow and mostly all fat!!
Posted By: Skogmann

Re: No more fast food - 02/25/24 06:25 PM

Yes, cutting way back on eating out. Prices continue to climb higher and quality of food and service worsen. And then there are the tips. We quit the fast food places, now only go out to eat on certain occasions. When we do eat out it is at a select few locally owned restaurants.
Posted By: Reaperman

Re: No more fast food - 02/25/24 06:31 PM

I like the all you can eat fish fry at the local church on Fridays thru lent. At $12 its a steal.
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: No more fast food - 02/25/24 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by 2poor
Originally Posted by Law Dog

I agree , wife and I eat well for $21. Always consistent quality !

if you really want the best deal going at culvers , gets the Kids meal
single cheeseburger , small fry, small soft drink you can refill as much as you want and a little dish of custard.

I don't think they offer the senior discount on kids meals however.
my parents went to this for lunches on the road a few years ago and I have done it a few times myself.

Re: No more fast food - 02/25/24 07:00 PM

we don't eat out much and we have even started bringing a thermos of our own coffee on most days we are out of the house.
just costs too much for often not good coffee and you make better time driving

part of this is Kwik Trip went to not keeping coffee made all the time and the little make it right now machine doesn't do as a good job

also you have to pay at the pump now , can't fuel up and go in and pay so I can pay at the pump go use the restroom and walk back out just fine where I used to gas up go in use the restroom grab something a coffee , a bottle of water , a snack then pay and leave.
Posted By: yotetrapper30

Re: No more fast food - 02/25/24 07:03 PM

I've cut back. We used to do subway once a week. Then one day our normal order of 2 footlong subs came to $27. We now do subway once every 2-3 months as a treat.
Posted By: GritGuy

Re: No more fast food - 02/25/24 07:07 PM

Spending money is all relative to priorities people make in their lives !

Some feel the need to cut back on going out, others cut back on different things.

Having been raised in an alcohol related parentage situation I can attest to the fact that my parents seen food as a ration type endeavor to be able to have their needs fed for alcohol, one of a dozen reasons why I never did take up drinking of any of it !

And one reason why I don't skimp on indulging my self with taking the family out and having the experience of being served a fine meal, regardless of the time to wait, the whiny waiter, or the tip crisis now.

To each their own I say, and enjoy what you do get to, as sooner or later it all stops !!
Posted By: DWC

Re: No more fast food - 02/25/24 07:09 PM

BK app on the phone cuts about 40-50 percent off and the subway coupons are decent. 7 bucks for a footlong is pretty good.
Posted By: Slick Pan

Re: No more fast food - 02/25/24 07:31 PM

To me subway subway used to serve low cost garbage have not eaten there in years. I do a sub at jersey mikes when on the road which is not often. Sometimes a take and bake pizza at papa murphy's for $10.Mostly just cook at home because restaurants do not cook as well as I do or serve the quality I can for a lot less money.
Posted By: Turtledale

Re: No more fast food - 02/25/24 07:43 PM

We don't go to fast food joints, pizza places etc....but go to a restaurant maybe twice a year. The wife and I are both good cooks and when we go out we rarely get food the quality we're use to at home.

I always thought fast food was antelope or whitetail
Posted By: undercover

Re: No more fast food - 02/25/24 08:50 PM

My last three experiences with fast food were abysmal. McDonalds (1) and Burger King (2) gave poor food, poor service and cost way too much for my wife and myself. Used to enjoy Cracker Barrel too... not anymore. It's a local sit-down meal even for burgers from this point forward. We live in a county with one traffic light, and it flashes yellow. When we traveled or went to the city, we tried fast food and chain restaurants. Would rather give my money to places that appreciate me doing business with them and have a vested interest in their workplace.
Posted By: Donnersurvivor

Re: No more fast food - 02/25/24 09:00 PM

People have been giving me subway coupons and I use those to get work meals, 3 footlongs for $18. Dairy queen has a $8 lunch deal also I'll get for the guys.

Re: No more fast food - 02/25/24 09:08 PM

My bride packs me a lunch every day. Eat brisket pretty regular. Celery, radish's, sliced peppers, cherry tomato's, cauliflower, broccoli. Thermos of coffee. Bottles of water. Guys I work with will run into casey's or something. A lot of them grab some kinda pastry and coke for breakfast. I eat eggs with bacon or sausage. Have an avacado every morning. I prefer food.

Re: No more fast food - 02/25/24 09:15 PM

I just put supper on to simmer bout an hour ago. Browned hamburger with onion and garlic. Put it in a stock pot. Poured in bone broth from beef bones and the bone marrow. Salt pepper and cumin. Diced tomatoes, green chili, green beans, broccoli and cauliflower. Its thick and smells good.
Posted By: west river rogue

Re: No more fast food - 02/25/24 09:20 PM

My chase visa buys us golden corral or red lobster once a month from points.... We use it. We are huge xhinese foodies... We eat at Chinese twice a month. Very healthy foods . Sal and i eat for 16 bucks and i give a 4 dollar tip. So for 20 bucks we eat well
Posted By: Squash

Re: No more fast food - 02/25/24 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by walleyed
No doubt the $15.00 minimum wage has something
to do with sky high prices here in upstate New York State
for McDonald's.

I think minimum wage is even higher down in New York City.

Then when they take your order at the drive thru,
McDonald's management has their drive thru cashiers
pan handling you for your change trying to guilt you
into rounding up your bill to the next dollar for "charity".

I counter offer that by asking if they would like to donate to my
own personal charity, and give me a free senior citizen meal.

w

Good one I will use that. Dollar General asks if you would like to donate change for literacy, I tell them I already paid my school tax.
Posted By: spjones

Re: No more fast food - 02/25/24 09:42 PM

They finally came out with ozempic and now you guys are off the fast food???

Quitters
Posted By: coonman220

Re: No more fast food - 02/25/24 09:53 PM

U can't get by at subway for 10 bucks hardly or u won't get much 10 bucks at any drive thru, drive thru at most places is not worth it nomore for what u get, not all but over half is not great food, golden corral rarely or portillos is worth it, not cheap though, like burger king
Posted By: waggler

Re: No more fast food - 02/25/24 10:05 PM

I quit going to fast food when I realized that I could go to the grocery store and buy a nice ribeye steak for cheaper than going to McD's.
Posted By: Guss

Re: No more fast food - 02/25/24 10:39 PM

Subways prices are high because of Biden .and the pipeline
Posted By: Scuba1

Re: No more fast food - 02/25/24 11:05 PM

In a couple of week the admiral is going to PA for a week to visit the grand kids. I have a dinner appointment in that time with a couple of squirrels that have been fattening up on our bird feeders. Now thats a treat as she don't like squirrel.
Posted By: gcs

Re: No more fast food - 02/25/24 11:08 PM

I've got squirrels, turkeys and deer on my back deck, I'm trying to get miss daisy to go visit the kids...
Posted By: jalstat

Re: No more fast food - 02/26/24 12:35 AM

Why pay for garbage when there are plenty of bar and grills and hole in the wall places with great chow
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: No more fast food - 02/26/24 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by spjones
They finally came out with ozempic and now you guys are off the fast food???

Quitters

grin

Re: No more fast food - 02/26/24 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by jalstat
Why pay for garbage when there are plenty of bar and grills and hole in the wall places with great chow

there are but they don't put a sign at the off ramp for those.
so you have to know the area a bit better or be searching online.
Posted By: Tommyran

Re: No more fast food - 02/26/24 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by Mando
I would do subway and cousins quite a bit. I remember 5 dollar foot longs. McD's once in a while. No more. Even restaurants are too expensive to go to at the frequency I used to go. I guess I won't be stimulating the economy too much anymore. Eating out cost have really outpaced income raises. Have any of you changed your habits or business as usual when it comes to dining out?

I never eat out. Hate it. Never understood people who do it all the time. Too lazy to cook I guess.
I used to order a pizza for delivery now and then but I have bad acid reflux and can no longer eat anything that produces acid. No more tomatoes, peppers, onions, garlic, citrus, etc.
Really sucks.

Re: No more fast food - 02/26/24 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by Tommyran

I used to order a pizza for delivery now and then but I have bad acid reflux and can no longer eat anything that produces acid. No more tomatoes, peppers, onions, garlic, citrus, etc.

Your acid reflux is not from eating those foods.

It's from TDS induced stress caused by
obsessing about President Trump
who lives rent free inside your head !!! laugh

w

Re: No more fast food - 02/26/24 03:47 PM

I never eat out. Hate it. Never understood people who do it all the time. Too lazy to cook I guess.
Really sucks.

I found if I cut out nearly all the sugar a piece of pizza wasn't really what was giving me the acid reflux

I used to burp up pesto all night , stopped putting pesto on pasta and put it on zucchini and no all night pesto burps.
Posted By: hickoryridge

Re: No more fast food - 02/26/24 03:53 PM

research Subway once . . most of their 'meats' are almost 50% soy filler
Posted By: Gary Benson

Re: No more fast food - 02/26/24 03:59 PM

$30 for 2 grandkids and myself at McD. Definitely a game changer.
Posted By: beaverpeeler

Re: No more fast food - 02/26/24 04:03 PM

I see some of you eating at the culvert? I would just as soon take the critter home, skin it and then cook it at my place.

Re: No more fast food - 02/26/24 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by beaverpeeler
I see some of you eating at the culvert? I would just as soon take the critter home, skin it and then cook it at my place.

the culvers does have the best fish of any fast food place.

clean restrooms , soda fountains for all the refills you want and decent custard
doesn't hurt all the newer ones put an outlet at every booth some even with usb jacks at them all have free wifi
it is a good place for a pit stop because you can usually park the boat where you can see it from the dinning room
they keep the dinning room nice and cool in the summer
ice water
if you were out fishing all night it can be a very welcome pit stop before driving home.

last one I was at was last summer it is about 10 minutes from the pickup doors at O'hare I highly reccomend staying there plugged in , free wifi , sipping coffee and close to the clean restroom while you wait to pick up your arriving passenger until they are through customs with their luggage and walking to the doors , they can wait 5 more minutes for you with you on the phone while they tell you what post they are standing next to outside.
because sitting in cell phone parking for 3 hours while they wait for a gate , then for baggage then wait in customs line . on the ground does no mean come pick me up.
I had petitioned the wife when daughter texted they were on the ground we can wait here it is 10 minutes from the door at Ohare , no we should go to cell phone parking they are on the ground
and 3 hours later a use of the portajohn and walking the parking lot to keep from going nuts in the car having already been in it most of 5 hours with 3 more hours drive home.
Posted By: BigBob

Re: No more fast food - 02/26/24 04:55 PM

Love Subway Meatball subs, but only with a coupon, and most of the stores around here refuse to take them. Now it's a $6 sub with a soda purchase, but I don't patronize them much anymore.
Posted By: Rusty Axe Camp

Re: No more fast food - 02/26/24 05:02 PM

I love cooking, grilling and smoking food.

I also love eating out occasionally.

Different strokes for different folks.

Fast food is horrible for you and overpriced. I usually only do that stuff if its the only option, that's where the group is going or traveling and time is of the essence.
Posted By: ~ADC~

Re: No more fast food - 02/26/24 06:06 PM

You all need the McDonalds app. laugh 20 piece nuggets, 2 large fries, 2 double cheese burgers, like ... $11
Posted By: Rusty Axe Camp

Re: No more fast food - 02/26/24 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by ~ADC~
You all need the McDonalds app. laugh 20 piece nuggets, 2 large fries, 2 double cheese burgers, like ... $11

I heard the apps make it way cheaper. Plus there's extra items
Posted By: Kre

Re: No more fast food - 02/26/24 06:33 PM

I quit eating fast food a few years ago.

I eat it once or twice a year when traveling and that's about it. When I eat it, I'm amazed at how salty and greasy it is.

It doesn't settle well for me either.

I feel like giving up fast food and soda was a good decision for me.
Posted By: mike mason

Re: No more fast food - 02/26/24 08:29 PM

I don't eat fast food, but my wife wanted an Italian sub so i stopped at Jersey Mike's. Ordered full sub and the sub was only 6' at best. I told the lady I ordered a large sub and she said" This is a large." I said no thank you and walked out.

Re: No more fast food - 02/26/24 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by mike mason
I don't eat fast food, but my wife wanted an Italian sub so i stopped at Jersey Mike's. Ordered full sub and the sub was only 6' at best. I told the lady I ordered a large sub and she said" This is a large." I said no thank you and walked out.

So a six foot sub wasn't big enough for you ?

How much bigger a sub did you need ? lol laugh

w
Posted By: Snowpa

Re: No more fast food - 02/26/24 08:48 PM

2 burgers one small fry 2 medium drinks "Five Guys " hamburger joint . 36.00
Posted By: foxkidd44

Re: No more fast food - 02/26/24 08:50 PM

I think it was around November of last year,, went to Taco Bell… I had to do a double take when they said how much it cost…it was unbelievable.
Posted By: BernieB.

Re: No more fast food - 02/26/24 09:33 PM

Just blows my mind that there are all those lines at McDonalds. Just goes to show that people don't give a crap about the quality of what they put in their bodies. It's garbage, it's not even real food most of it. They even load their french fries with sugar so people will eat them.

Culvers actually has the best real food in most cases, their burger is good quality, the fish is actually fish filets rather than entire fish ground up into a slime and pressed into shapes. Their pot roast is legit, like really good.

It's hard to find quality food and if you do find it, you pay through the nose for it. Took my wife out for valentines day to a nice restaurant. Two ribeye meals totalled $96 and we didn't have any drinks of desserts.

But... Have you been to the grocery store lately?
Posted By: Tommyran

Re: No more fast food - 02/27/24 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by walleyed

Your acid reflux is not from eating those foods.

It's from TDS induced stress caused by
obsessing about President Trump
who lives rent free inside your head !!! laugh

w

It seems I'm living inside your head as well. Adorable!

91 counts, he's not beating them all. Better stock up on tissues.
Posted By: 2poor

Re: No more fast food - 02/27/24 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by ~ADC~

Might make it cheaper but it sure doesn’t improve the quality !
Posted By: trapdye

Re: No more fast food - 02/27/24 12:38 PM

McDonalds having a lot of problems with staffing, see people waiting a long time for orders & prices are crazy
Posted By: Giant Sage

Re: No more fast food - 02/27/24 12:44 PM

Self serve fast food
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: savchippewa

Re: No more fast food - 02/27/24 01:10 PM

I avoid fast food like the plague....expensive, disgusting food. Local Mexican and Chinese places get my business if eating out. I avoid chain restaurants too, if possible. Here in Michigan a solid place for a beer and burger are places called Hamlin pub. Give them a shot, I think they are pretty good.
Posted By: Bear Tracker

Re: No more fast food - 02/27/24 02:02 PM

I agree on the price of eating out. It is crazy. We always round up at a Mcdonald's but rarely eat there. Our reason for that is when our nephew who passed was in the Minneapolis Children's Hospital our family stayed in the Ronald McDonald House for no charge other than asking to help out with chores. Culver's is by far our best meal deal if eating out and the fish and salad is really good. Kwik Trip is awesome but the pay at the pump changed a lot. We also take our own coffee and water everywhere now.

Re: No more fast food - 02/27/24 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by trapdye
McDonalds having a lot of problems with staffing, see people waiting a long time for orders & prices are crazy

i was at one a couple years ago , needed a restroom basically , had a Kiosk about 15 feet from the counter and you ordered and paid there then it printed out a slip and you waited for your food.

as Kiosks go Panera that is the way to order used to go there more often but maybe 2x a year now but there are items and pictures and stuff you never got from the overhead board at all
Posted By: Mando

Re: No more fast food - 02/27/24 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by foxkidd44
I think it was around November of last year,, went to Taco Bell… I had to do a double take when they said how much it cost…it was unbelievable.

I remember 49 cent tacos.
Posted By: midlander

Re: No more fast food - 02/27/24 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by foxkidd44

I remember 49 cent tacos.

Them were the days. I also remember big macs for 99 cents, granted it was sale price, but they ran them often. They Also ran a lot of 2 big macs for 2 bucks....I was single at the time and Id eat one and nuke the other one the next night.
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: No more fast food - 02/27/24 10:53 PM

The more they charge along with the less we get and they can’t get the orders right no matter what it’s a big divide for a lot of people.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums