Home

Iowa Trappers call your state representative

Posted By: Bruce Rhoads

Iowa Trappers call your state representative - 02/25/24 04:18 AM

https://youtu.be/UYrAXJCnhvs?si=LsKNYX5Ozm59BjrZ
Posted By: Vinke

Re: Iowa Trappers call your state representative - 02/25/24 04:33 AM

Nice idea.

What is the projected cost of the program and how much do you loose on pelt value with the tail cut off?
Posted By: Trapper Dahlgren

Re: Iowa Trappers call your state representative - 02/25/24 11:15 AM

when they [deer hunters] did this a few years ago for coyote's here in the u p of Michigan we cut of ears, no change on fur prices
Posted By: trapdog1

Re: Iowa Trappers call your state representative - 02/25/24 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by Vinke
Nice idea.

What is the projected cost of the program and how much do you loose on pelt value with the tail cut off?

No real idea of cost yet, as far as I know. Coon tails have no value so will not reduce pelt value.
Posted By: Trapper Dahlgren

Re: Iowa Trappers call your state representative - 02/25/24 11:57 AM

the fur buyer want the tails, better call some,
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: Iowa Trappers call your state representative - 02/25/24 01:37 PM

Years back MI cut the front feet off when they turned coyotes in for bounty.Seen it done when registering a bear one year they used 4X4 chunk of wood and a ax back then.

We do $10 a tail here they tried the $5 a tail thing one year but it had less interest then so they went back to $10 a tail. Not just coon but fox, badger, possum, skunks are all included. Coyotes the State works on them here so they are not in that mix. The kids get a month head start then adults can turn in tails.
Posted By: trapdog1

Re: Iowa Trappers call your state representative - 02/25/24 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by Trapper Dahlgren
the fur buyer want the tails, better call some,

I end up with quite a few tail-less coons every year and have never been docked for it. I know Growenwold has said the tails mean nothing to them. Probably a few craft buyers that want the tails on for tanning and such.

Not sure if this whole thing will be worth the hassle.
Posted By: ou812

Re: Iowa Trappers call your state representative - 02/25/24 03:13 PM

This is nothing more than a disguised defunding of the Fish and Game trust fund. Once again, the legislative assault on a state department that isn't funded with tax dollars is ridiculous. If they want coons killed and bounties paid, how about the corn growers assoc. , ethanol industry and the Farm Bureau pony up the cash for the bounty? I'm tired of the legislature finding ways to "defund" the dnr. (This word is unacceptable on Trapperman), they introduced a bill to study pelican predation that requires a 1 yr study to determine how much fish the pelicans eat, at a cost of 125k. Again, coming from the fish and game trust fund.
Posted By: ~ADC~

Re: Iowa Trappers call your state representative - 02/25/24 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by ou812
This is nothing more than a disguised defunding of the Fish and Game trust fund. Once again, the legislative assault on a state department that isn't funded with tax dollars is ridiculous. If they want coons killed and bounties paid, how about the corn growers assoc. , ethanol industry and the Farm Bureau pony up the cash for the bounty? I'm tired of the legislature finding ways to "defund" the dnr. (This word is unacceptable on Trapperman), they introduced a bill to study pelican predation that requires a 1 yr study to determine how much fish the pelicans eat, at a cost of 125k. Again, coming from the fish and game trust fund.

Thanks for your input Brian.
Posted By: ou812

Re: Iowa Trappers call your state representative - 02/25/24 11:20 PM

Originally Posted by ~ADC~
Originally Posted by ou812

Thanks for your input Brian.

Wrong person ADC....here's another thing... they will be making the state 35 park rangers game wardens. Where does the game wardens salary come from? Fish and Game trust fund. Another 35 salaries coming out of license sales and insurance. It's not sustainable on the fund.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums