Home

Anybody shoot a .22 semi auto?

Posted By: nvwrangler

Anybody shoot a .22 semi auto? - 02/24/24 11:46 PM

Looking at getting a .22 semiauto preferably one thats mirrors a 9mm or .40 as a cheaper way to pratice with a ccw weapon. I realize that weight will be different but just shooting the same platform will hopefully cross over when i shoot the other.

What is being shot by everyone?
Posted By: Guss

Re: Anybody shoot a .22 semi auto? - 02/24/24 11:52 PM

I shoot a 10-22
Posted By: charles

Re: Anybody shoot a .22 semi auto? - 02/24/24 11:53 PM

I have a 10-22 with Timney trigger. I only shoot paper with it.
Posted By: matt

Re: Anybody shoot a .22 semi auto? - 02/24/24 11:56 PM

I have a Glock 44. Bought it for the same reason. Have the same size and shape of my other glocks. Hear lots of stories about them not feeding and jamming. But haven’t had much trouble at all with it. Mostly if it was, it was ammo it didn’t like. Shoots well and performs goods as I could ask. Fits the same holsters I use with my others.
Posted By: varmintshooter

Re: Anybody shoot a .22 semi auto? - 02/24/24 11:56 PM

As a trapline pistol I carry a Ruger SR-22. It shoots very good. Easy to clean and is about the same size as a Sig 365, little smaller than a Glock 43
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: Anybody shoot a .22 semi auto? - 02/25/24 12:06 AM

Would be good for point and shoot practice. Maybe. You might need follow up shots. Should practice with what you carry. Recoil changes things even if your 22 points the same.
Posted By: Scuba1

Re: Anybody shoot a .22 semi auto? - 02/25/24 12:10 AM

I use a colt woodsman match for squirrel hunting. As I roll my own pistol ammo, I practice with the real thing
Posted By: Tom Fisher

Re: Anybody shoot a .22 semi auto? - 02/25/24 12:34 AM

I carry a Taurus TX 22 found it to be reliable and lethal.
Posted By: Jags

Re: Anybody shoot a .22 semi auto? - 02/25/24 12:35 AM

I have a Ruger SR22 and a Smith&Wesson M&P 22 compact, I think the M&P22 mirrors the 9mm better than the Ruger,
Posted By: patrapperbuster

Re: Anybody shoot a .22 semi auto? - 02/25/24 12:37 AM

Ruger 10-22

It can be modified with many types of added extras to help mimic your go to gun.

After practicing with the .22, fire a clip or two of the gun you want to use before leaving the range
Posted By: Bigbrownie

Re: Anybody shoot a .22 semi auto? - 02/25/24 12:38 AM

10-22. Good squirrel gun.
Posted By: backroadsarcher

Re: Anybody shoot a .22 semi auto? - 02/25/24 12:39 AM

Ruger 10-22 could use a better trigger but will settle. Used to shoot a Winchester 490 but cleaned it and put it away. It was twice the shooter.
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: Anybody shoot a .22 semi auto? - 02/25/24 12:48 AM

Originally Posted by nvwrangler
Looking at getting a .22 semiauto preferably one thats mirrors a 9mm or .40 as a cheaper way to pratice with a ccw weapon. I realize that weight will be different but just shooting the same platform will hopefully cross over when i shoot the other.

What is being shot by everyone?

so your asking about a pistol then I take it ?

you could mirror a 9mm carbine . we built a 22lr AR that works very well.

the closest thing I have is a Ruger 22/45 MKIII it has a very similar grip and trigger but that is about where the similarities stop

unless the platform is matched exactly like the Berretta 92 in the 22version manipulations really won't be the same.

there are some after market kits that use your gun with a barrel
https://www.advantagearms.com/mm5/m...sion_ID=d19409e899f4ac42718c40db0933beef

if your going for a 22lr that feels like your carry gun then that is a good way to go.

your recoil recovery and cadence still won't be the same

trigger time breaking the shot , getting your aim , target transitioning can transfer enough to be very useful to making you a better shooter. be it playing bullseye or something like steel challenge where you focus on speed transition of targets.

the issue with some conversions is they can sometimes be finicky any 22lr pistol can be

the Rugers MK, Browning buckmarks , S&W Victories don't really mimic a carry gun but are very good 22lr pistols.
Posted By: nvwrangler

Re: Anybody shoot a .22 semi auto? - 02/25/24 01:01 AM

I looked at the glock 44 today and several of the 9 mm versions but they don't fit my hand well. The m&p .22 matched pretty close to the m&p 9s. Sig had a couple too.

My plan is to buy the .22 and matching 9 or .40 then shoot the .22 way more and shoot the bigger one one a regular basis as i can shoot out the back door almost.i realize the recoil is different but if I can closely match the platform then I would expect the grip , point and manual function should cross over.

The more one shoots the better in my opinion.
Posted By: rags57078

Re: Anybody shoot a .22 semi auto? - 02/25/24 01:04 AM

Walther Government colt 1911
Posted By: matt

Re: Anybody shoot a .22 semi auto? - 02/25/24 01:19 AM

Originally Posted by nvwrangler
I looked at the glock 44 today and several of the 9 mm versions but they don't fit my hand well. The m&p .22 matched pretty close to the m&p 9s. Sig had a couple too.

My plan is to buy the .22 and matching 9 or .40 then shoot the .22 way more and shoot the bigger one one a regular basis as i can shoot out the back door almost.i realize the recoil is different but if I can closely match the platform then I would expect the grip , point and manual function should cross over.

The more one shoots the better in my opinion.

I agree with that. If the gun matches your carry gun in fit and function and is something that you can shoot a lot. Getting it out, the sight picture, the mag release all become muscle memory. I still shoot my carry gun often and you should. But if your .22 matches it close, it’s easier to load up 50 rounds of 22. Shoot some drills more often than is is with any other.

Re: Anybody shoot a .22 semi auto? - 02/25/24 01:45 AM

Originally Posted by backroadsarcher
Ruger 10-22 could use a better trigger but will settle. Used to shoot a Winchester 490 but cleaned it and put it away. It was twice the shooter.

the sky is the limit with how good you can get a 10/22 trigger , LOTS of options but they start into $$$ when you go below 2 pounds
Posted By: Crappiekiller

Re: Anybody shoot a .22 semi auto? - 02/25/24 01:53 AM

I took it as he was asking about a CCW so pistol and not a 10-22 long gun. I just picked up a FN 502 tactical (threaded barrel). So far I’m really liking it.!
Posted By: Foxlaketrapper

Re: Anybody shoot a .22 semi auto? - 02/25/24 01:57 AM

I shoot a beretta 22 neos for a trap line gun. About the same same size as the Taurus 92 I carry, same gun as the beretta 92f. Same shoulder holster for either. I like a bigger frame pistol just easyer for me to shoot.
Posted By: midlander

Re: Anybody shoot a .22 semi auto? - 02/25/24 01:59 AM

Ruger 22/45 lite....very happy with it and super simple to clean.
Posted By: Providence Farm

Re: Anybody shoot a .22 semi auto? - 02/25/24 02:00 AM

I had a .22 conversion for my years before gLock came out with theirs. It was ok but wouldn't cycle reliability with bulk pack and at the time I could load my .40 s&w for a out the same price as cci .22 so I traded it off on a scope. I have other .22 pistol and rifles. If I were serious about training it would be with a gun that's identical to the gun I plan on using. And before I was done for the day a few mafs would go through my cary gun also.
Posted By: jabNE

Re: Anybody shoot a .22 semi auto? - 02/25/24 03:27 AM

10/22 here. Best cycling semi auto I’ve ever owned.
Jim
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: Anybody shoot a .22 semi auto? - 02/25/24 03:43 AM

S/W 422 it’s been a great gun carried it for 40 years
Posted By: Nelly

Re: Anybody shoot a .22 semi auto? - 02/25/24 03:51 AM

If I understand you correctly, Matt is on the right track.
I have an M&P .22 compact that I bought to be a companion piece for my shield.
Unfortunately, a. 22 will not simulate the recoil impulse of a major caliber.
Posted By: Vinke

Re: Anybody shoot a .22 semi auto? - 02/25/24 04:44 AM

Originally Posted by GREENCOUNTYPETE
Originally Posted by backroadsarcher

the sky is the limit with how good you can get a 10/22 trigger , LOTS of options but they start into $$$ when you go below 2 pounds

You can lighten a stock 10/22 trigger using a bic pen spring.
Not match grade, but for free it is a improvement.
Posted By: Zim

Re: Anybody shoot a .22 semi auto? - 02/25/24 04:53 AM

I have a Sig P322, fun little gun to shoot and decent accuracy. Been very reliable, easy to disassemble and clean, 20 round magazine, threaded barrel
and optic ready. I have a Sig P320 and a P365 so it was a good fit for me.

Zim
Posted By: Ohio Wolverine

Re: Anybody shoot a .22 semi auto? - 02/25/24 05:41 AM

From my experience , the type of ammo can cause any semi auto to jam.
Plain lead bullets , compared to copper coated makes a world of difference.
Both can be used in , say a bolt action, but not in a semi auto anything.
The soft lead will catch on the receiver and jam up!
It only needs to skim the lead , and it will dig in and jam up.
Posted By: Scott__aR

Re: Anybody shoot a .22 semi auto? - 02/25/24 06:01 AM

Colt 1911-22lr by Walther, use it as my trapping pistol. Similar to my Kimbers for concealed carry.
Posted By: panaxman

Re: Anybody shoot a .22 semi auto? - 02/25/24 12:34 PM

Beretta bobcat pistol. 22. With Stanger rounds 1650ft/sec . Mouse’ gun super concealable.
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: Anybody shoot a .22 semi auto? - 02/25/24 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by Ohio Wolverine
From my experience , the type of ammo can cause any semi auto to jam.
Plain lead bullets , compared to copper coated makes a world of difference.
Both can be used in , say a bolt action, but not in a semi auto anything.
The soft lead will catch on the receiver and jam up!
It only needs to skim the lead , and it will dig in and jam up.

Some brands even recommend the mini mag type bullets for proper cycling on some newer models.
Posted By: augdog11

Re: Anybody shoot a .22 semi auto? - 02/25/24 01:36 PM

Ruger Mark III .22
Posted By: Snowpa

Re: Anybody shoot a .22 semi auto? - 02/25/24 02:33 PM

Sig Saur Mosquito Fussy what it shoots
Posted By: Elkguy

Re: Anybody shoot a .22 semi auto? - 02/25/24 03:12 PM

The Smith and Wesson model 41 is the nicest 22 handgun you would likely ever shoot. They’re pricey but extremely well built. My Ruger Bearcat is my dispatch gun, but I can rarely even hit a beer can past 20’ with it.
Posted By: Flipper 56

Re: Anybody shoot a .22 semi auto? - 02/25/24 03:21 PM

The Taurus TX 22 is a full-size pistol that I use for practice. It is very accurate and reliable and cheap.
Posted By: Raghorn67

Re: Anybody shoot a .22 semi auto? - 02/25/24 03:49 PM

I have a few 10/22's
Also have an old Ruger Mark 1 pistol
Posted By: Trapper7

Re: Anybody shoot a .22 semi auto? - 02/25/24 05:29 PM

I have a Remington Nylon semi-auto Apache grade. I never shoot it; too fancy to shoot. I take it to my firearm classes for show and tell. I like to make the kids guess where the magazine is located on it.
Posted By: Brian Mongeau

Re: Anybody shoot a .22 semi auto? - 02/25/24 08:25 PM

10/22 and Mark III w/ bull barrel. If you field strip the MIII, it may take a few minutes to a few hours to put it back together. What a stupid design and a PIA.

Re: Anybody shoot a .22 semi auto? - 02/25/24 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by Brian Mongeau
10/22 and Mark III w/ bull barrel. If you field strip the MIII, it may take a few minutes to a few hours to put it back together. What a stupid design and a PIA.

there is a technique to assembling the MKIII a headlamp is the best tool to assist you in this , the hammer position has to be correct when you assemble

the hammer has to be back when you attach the bolt but fully forward when you add the main spring housing for the hammer.

they sell a bunch of tools for helping with this but you probably have all you need

a couple punches , a head lamp to see that hammer strut and sometimes a rubber mallet or other soft faced no marring mallet.

here is a good video that shows one of the better multi use tools for breaking down the MK1,2,3

mostly you need to be able to see that hammer strut and get it into the right position.

https://www.tandemkross.com/Gunsmither%E2%84%A2-Pistol-Pal-for-Ruger%C2%AE-MK%E2%84%A2-Series-and-2245%E2%84%A2_p_52.html

© 2024 Trapperman Forums