Home

Land prices near you

Posted By: bucksnbears

Land prices near you - 02/24/24 01:31 AM

I've never followed what land is bringing nation wide but stumbled on a site that has been giving $$ of land.
I can't fathom some of it.

Where you're at, what would a 100 acre piece of all tillable/ cropland be expected to bring.

Same question for all wooded/ hunting property.

Seems like even with this crappy economy, there is still lots of people looking for land and not afraid to pony up.
Posted By: Hodagtrapper

Re: Land prices near you - 02/24/24 01:35 AM

Hunting land with a mix of swamp and upland forest would sell in the $1200.00 to $3000.00 range per acre. If power is available to property the price may be higher. Crazy times but the old saying about land is that they are not making it anymore crazy.

Chris
Posted By: TC1

Re: Land prices near you - 02/24/24 01:35 AM

Crop land, somewhere around 1.5 million. Pasture or rough ground, 500-750 thousand…. crazy
Posted By: warrior

Re: Land prices near you - 02/24/24 01:37 AM

100 where I'm sitting now well north of a 1.5 million and it'll all be subdivision houses or apartments within three years.

Where I'm headed to when the price is right on what I got that same 100 can be bought for 500k.
Posted By: TurkeyTime

Re: Land prices near you - 02/24/24 01:41 AM

Lot of cash sales (no loan or of it is a loan the percent of the total price is not much)
Following is per acre:
Hill ground tillable $6-7K
Bottom ground tillable $8-9K
Pasture $5-6K
CRP $5-6K
Woods/brush/overgrown fields $5K

Used to think things would go down but with cash purchasing and out of town buyers prices will only go up.

Also what site was it?
Posted By: Boco

Re: Land prices near you - 02/24/24 01:49 AM

Can get 160 acres of bush in NE Ont for around 50g cd.
Posted By: Providence Farm

Re: Land prices near you - 02/24/24 01:50 AM

285 across the road from my place just sold to an Amish guy. Asking price was $7200 per acre. Some fields and woods. Very nice ground I just didn't have to 2 million laying around.
Posted By: HobbieTrapper

Re: Land prices near you - 02/24/24 01:53 AM

A friend just bought a 200 acre unoccupied farm a couple miles from me for 400k.

Re: Land prices near you - 02/24/24 01:59 AM

Originally Posted by TC1
Crop land, somewhere around 1.5 million. Pasture or rough ground, 500-750 thousand…. crazy

How in God's name can that pencil out??

Let's say corn brings 5$ a bushel.
Now let's say 200 bushel and acre.
That 100 acre piece grossed 1000.00$ acre. With the cost of fuel/ help/ equipment/ and all the other things involved,
I just can't wrap my mind around how folks make that work?

Now, as for just hunting land, let's say someone buys 100 acres of pure timber at 5000.00$ an acre. That's 500,000 $

Back in the 40's, my grandfather bought a 160 acre piece of superb farmland for 40.00 $ an acre. Sold it in the early 60's for 200.00$ an acre.

That same piece is in the 6000.00$ now.
How??

Re: Land prices near you - 02/24/24 02:05 AM

Not making any more land.
Have cash available.
Need more to expand for self/family.
Average the purchase and income over the whole operation/land that is paid for.
Posted By: Donnersurvivor

Re: Land prices near you - 02/24/24 02:18 AM

Unless you're mega rich it just doesn't make $ense to buy land at most current prices. "They don't make more of it" this is true but they keep making what exist more productive, there is also a ton of farm land around the world that is unutilized or underutilized. Brazil currently uses 63.5 million hectares of its agricultural land and has another 410 million hectares that it does not use due to lack of roads, bridges, just not currently needed. There is not a lack of farmable land, there is little reason for commodity prices to raise enough to make land make sense at these prices. It's a bubble, it may last for decades to come but it's still a bubble in my opinion. The value lays in subdividing and building, that doesn't interest me.
Posted By: arcticotter

Re: Land prices near you - 02/24/24 02:19 AM

15,000-20,000 an acre here in the Hills
Posted By: Old pup

Re: Land prices near you - 02/24/24 02:21 AM

Not too far from me, tillable land went for close to $14,000 an acre. I think it was tiled recently.
Posted By: 080808

Re: Land prices near you - 02/24/24 02:24 AM

After cut for timber, no fields. 40 acres. $35,000 to 40,000 all day.

Re: Land prices near you - 02/24/24 02:25 AM

Say your family lives off $125K a year and owns/farms(crop) 800 acres that is paid for. That profit can add up pretty quickly.
Posted By: H2ORat

Re: Land prices near you - 02/24/24 02:29 AM

Neighbor just sold 95 acres - ok soils - with water --- 2.1 mil. Yea I didn't buy it. blush

Re: Land prices near you - 02/24/24 02:31 AM

This stuff you guys are posting mind blowing! crazy
Posted By: jeff karsten

Re: Land prices near you - 02/24/24 02:37 AM

No idea on farmland but here 80 acres is a big field you can have sandblows and muck on the same field Median price for renting is 35 bucks/acre Houses are another issue Whatever a house is listed for it sells for 100 to 150 grand over list price sight unseen and thats in my town of 3,000- 4,000 people 50,000 folks you can triple that amount When i ask who would pay that much sight unseen The broker says somebody from texas BS I dont know Anyway I heard the rumor that hedge funds are scooping up all properties in smaller "undeveloped" communities
Posted By: jarentz

Re: Land prices near you - 02/24/24 02:41 AM

The only people that can afford it are big farmers and developers.
my cousins farm 3000 acres and buy a new farm 100- 500 acres every
5 years. Around here if a farmer sells to another farmer 6-7000 an acre.
but real estate developers will pay 2 or 3 times that,for the right piece
of ground.
Posted By: 080808

Re: Land prices near you - 02/24/24 02:44 AM

Sorry maybe I should have explained to 40 acres TOTAL price 35,000 to 40,000.
Posted By: houndone

Re: Land prices near you - 02/24/24 02:47 AM

Depending on how many acres in the parcel what it goes for.smaller acreage 15,000 to 20,000 a acre,bigger parcels 7,000 to 10,000 a acre. There is no way at current ag prices you will pay for that in your lifetime if you have to borrow majority of the money.oh wait a minute I forgot about farm subsidies that the government gives back to them that we the taxpayers fund.go to ewg.gov for your state/county to find out what they have gotten back from the government since 1995.
Posted By: jeff karsten

Re: Land prices near you - 02/24/24 02:58 AM

Worry Not way things are goin farms will be a corporate conglomerate owned by the Government But Hey they already hired and are paying millions of farm workers just need the land
Posted By: run

Re: Land prices near you - 02/24/24 03:12 AM

$10,000 -$15,000 per acre for wooded land without a house. Higher with a house.
Posted By: run

Re: Land prices near you - 02/24/24 03:14 AM

Not sure what farmland is bringing around here. I just know it's expensive.
Posted By: Old pup

Re: Land prices near you - 02/24/24 03:27 AM

There is a chunk of land very near me, maybe 80 acres, owned by an investor from Alaska.
Posted By: K52

Re: Land prices near you - 02/24/24 03:58 AM

Originally Posted by houndone
Depending on how many acres in the parcel what it goes for.smaller acreage 15,000 to 20,000 a acre,bigger parcels 7,000 to 10,000 a acre. There is no way at current ag prices you will pay for that in your lifetime if you have to borrow majority of the money.oh wait a minute I forgot about farm subsidies that the government gives back to them that we the taxpayers fund.go to ewg.gov for your state/county to find out what they have gotten back from the government since 1995.

Nails it. Go to that website and see how the same family divides up acreage and maxs out subsidies. Had a friend print off the payouts to the farmers in this county and left a few copies on the table by the door at the local coffee shop. Boy were there a bunch of (This word is unacceptable on Trapperman) farmers over that.
Posted By: Grandpa Trapper

Re: Land prices near you - 02/24/24 04:01 AM

Originally Posted by Providence Farm
285 across the road from my place just sold to an Amish guy. Asking price was $7200 per acre. Some fields and woods. Very nice ground I just didn't have to 2 million laying around.

Apparently, the Amish have a lot of money.
Posted By: jbyrd63

Re: Land prices near you - 02/24/24 04:50 AM

Bucks you are right it don’t add up. Farms next to mine bringing prices that cropping it it take 80 years to pay for it. That is with all good years. Corn farmers are hurting this year more corn in storage now than ever before. Big story on the news about how with fuel and inflation they would lose 1.25 or more per bushel. UNLESS they contracted when it was above 7:50. But corn in bins isn’t contracted or it would be gone
Heck pasture and logged land is even worse.

Re: Land prices near you - 02/24/24 04:51 AM

Originally Posted by jeff karsten
Worry Not way things are goin farms will be a corporate conglomerate owned by the Government But Hey they already hired and are paying millions of farm workers just need the land

No owned by China

Re: Land prices near you - 02/24/24 05:01 AM

Originally Posted by TurkeyTime
Say your family lives off $125K a year and owns/farms(crop) 800 acres that is paid for. That profit can add up pretty quickly.

Totally different than someone buying land at these prices. You got cash to buy 800 acres at 5,000an acre that’s 4 mil
You have to farm that a lot of years to get your money back
Take 4 million and buy 16 CDs at 5.25 percent. You make Ton more money and don’t worry if it will rain!!!!
That’s 210,000 in interest and it makes profit on day one.
Yeah yeah start talking taxes but you have to make it to pay taxes on it. LOT of purchases around here is money laundering. Only explanation for.

Re: Land prices near you - 02/24/24 10:03 AM

A lot of farming is being money poor. Loosing money on paper ( tax deductions) but building wealth at the same time. Land value goes up. My farm has tripled in value from what I paid for it 7 years ago. It's money in the bank and not going down in value. Yes you have taxes and some up keep yet Cash and many other investments are competing with inflation so about a wash on that. Then add in enjoyment hunting, gardening, place to be outside. Rec value is there also. Basically land is better than gold and silver in my book from a safe place to park money. If you pick the right place it's better than stock. Here is one example of that.

I know a guy that bought a run down house and 2 acres for under 50k. Less than 9 years ago. Town moved out his way and is really building up. He has turned down 750k for it and is holding out for just a touch over a million.
Posted By: Squash

Re: Land prices near you - 02/24/24 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by 080808
Sorry maybe I should have explained to 40 acres TOTAL price 35,000 to 40,000.

Don’t know where you are located in Northern NY, but here on Tug Hill 40 acres of cut over timberland is easily $2000/ acre, subdivide it into 5 acre lots $3000-$4000/acre. Small acreage parcels of Adirondack land without lake frontage say 5-10 acres, $10,000/acre.
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: Land prices near you - 02/24/24 12:13 PM

5617 E 40th street Kansas City Mo. is where my wife lived till 73. Her dad bought it in 54 or 55. After the race riots, forced bussing etc they became part of white flight. Moving to rural KS. Father in law lost money on the sale in spite of "not making more". House burnt down and now the lot is listed for 1100 bucks. Zoned residential with utilities and sewer available if anyone is looking for an investment.

Re: Land prices near you - 02/24/24 12:16 PM

Providence the key to your story is your land and other guys was bought back before prices got stupid. Big difference than what’s being paid now. Plus any wealth building only is seen if you sell it. Point here is farmland bought to FARM will not nor can not pay for itself at 8-15 thousand per acre. Heck be hard to pay for it at 5 per.
I bought 40 acres. 25 hayfield rest timber. Been offered 3 times what I paid for it. I could sell the timber at today’s prices plus what I lease the hayfield for. I won’t live long enough to get my money back unless I sell it. I paid less than 2,000 per.
Posted By: Tony1967

Re: Land prices near you - 02/24/24 12:21 PM

Here in WNY I’ve heard the realtors saying it’s about $2500 per acre for wooded acreage.

Two years ago I bought 5 acres across the road from me for $5k, all fees included.

Today there is 7 acres up the road from me and they are asking $30k.

Don’t see them selling at that price, but who knows?
Posted By: Spike369

Re: Land prices near you - 02/24/24 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by danny clifton
5617 E 40th street Kansas City Mo. is where my wife lived till 73. Her dad bought it in 54 or 55. After the race riots, forced bussing etc they became part of white flight. Moving to rural KS. Father in law lost money on the sale in spite of "not making more". House burnt down and now the lot is listed for 1100 bucks. Zoned residential with utilities and sewer available if anyone is looking for an investment.

A good investment needs a good location. KC, MO and KC , KS not so much.
Posted By: Pafoxman

Re: Land prices near you - 02/24/24 12:37 PM

It is crazy in our area. I just bought 3.3 acres of tillable land to add on existing tract for 135k. This was a fair price for both myself and seller. A 31 acre farmette sold last week for 2,940,000. Yes, you read that right... 94k per acre!! Ten years ago the average price per acre was 20k, now it starts at 50k. Important to note, all of this is land that is zoned Ag and cannot be developed for residential or commercial uses.

Re: Land prices near you - 02/24/24 12:40 PM

I think its as much about property tax and real estate companies. Both win when appraisals go up. If a place sells with a month or two thats likely actual value. If it takes months or years its not.

Re: Land prices near you - 02/24/24 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by jbyrd63
Providence the key to your story is your land and other guys was bought back before prices got stupid. Big difference than what’s being paid now. Plus any wealth building only is seen if you sell it. Point here is farmland bought to FARM will not nor can not pay for itself at 8-15 thousand per acre. Heck be hard to pay for it at 5 per.
I bought 40 acres. 25 hayfield rest timber. Been offered 3 times what I paid for it. I could sell the timber at today’s prices plus what I lease the hayfield for. I won’t live long enough to get my money back unless I sell it. I paid less than 2,000 per.

And that's the same thing I was saying 10 years before I bought my place as well. And the same thing my grandpa said when he talked about what he paid to build his house vs what they were selling for around him 40 years later. Yet prices just keep climbing.

Now if I was good at picking stock I could have done better. But I'm not and have to have somewhere to live and hunt relax shoot ECT.

What was expensive for old strip mine 1k and acre now is 7 to 20 k depending on size location ECT. In 10 year people will look back and think man that was when land was adorable. Just like I think back at the adds for strip mine for 600 to 1000 per when I was younger and couldn't afford that.

A lot of farmer buy it at the high prices nope they won't get it to pay for it's self but it's value will increase and the added scale, tax benefit, location proximity or other value to their farm( now can drive to other fields they own directly and not have to load or drive equipment several miles around down the road ECT)may be more valuable in the long run than the crop production value.
Posted By: MChewk

Re: Land prices near you - 02/24/24 01:06 PM

Farm ground around where I live starts at $10,000 an acre and just increase dramatically. Commercial and residential development is king here but with that said we have a lot of "ghost town" strip malls sitting empty.

Re: Land prices near you - 02/24/24 01:23 PM

Yeah that’s the mindset in 2007 ! Don’t worry what you are paying. Property will always go up ! Just like the drought in California. Things have a way of correcting themselves. Hold on to that cash at 5% and buy your dream place at bargain price when it hits. Oh it’s going to hit. Can’t sustain. Number libitards are giving Dems only thing they can. High stock markets. ALL BASED ON something someone reported.

Re: Land prices near you - 02/24/24 01:39 PM

Yeah that’s the mindset in 2007 ! Don’t worry what you are paying. Property will always go up ! Just like the drought in California. Things have a way of correcting themselves. Hold on to that cash at 5% and buy your dream place at bargain price when it hits. Oh it’s going to hit. Can’t sustain. Number libitards are giving Dems only thing they can. High stock markets. ALL BASED ON something someone reported.

Some people don't like risk. Lots of millionaires have been made with a steady buy and hold approach and the market average is about 10% over time. 2x those cds. And Cds we're what 1.3 % not long ago. For safe investment I prefer land and have no issues investing in the market. Mostly in index groth funds. I love the dips because that means what I buy each week is on sale. I don't like the highest but keep buying each week. Currently at 25% of my income but going to have to back that off so I don't hit the max limit to early and miss out on the company match.
I also have money going into the market for the kids each month. If they do nothing at all they should retire with around a million each just from what little I have put in and set up.

But I don't look and worry about mone they had gone into the market. I look at that the se as I look at the 100$ spent taking the wife out to dinner or the 500$ I'm going to spend in expenses taking the boys to wrestle in the state comp. It's all pretend untill you cash it in.

I'm not risk advertised. I want good returns and if I have losses I'm ok with that. No risk no reward. Also don't put all my eggs in one basket.

And 07 was just a blip. Markets on housing dropped stocks dropped. Land not really at all. And it was not long the markets recovered and surpassed whare they were before. If you were sitting in cash or had good credit there was money to be made. If not you didn't take a single loss unless you sold.

Re: Land prices near you - 02/24/24 01:40 PM

Not making any more land.
Have cash available.
Need more to expand for self/family.
Average the purchase and income over the whole operation/land that is paid for.

No one has to understand it or have it make sense. It is a different mindset and goals. Yes it will never pay for itself, by itself, but the operation will pay for it when averaged out over the whole operation.
You want a farm next/close to you that is up for sale? This could literally be the only time it ever comes up for sale.

Originally Posted by TurkeyTime

Totally different than someone buying land at these prices. You got cash to buy 800 acres at 5,000an acre that’s 4 mil
You have to farm that a lot of years to get your money back
Take 4 million and buy 16 CDs at 5.25 percent. You make Ton more money and don’t worry if it will rain!!!!
That’s 210,000 in interest and it makes profit on day one.
Yeah yeah start talking taxes but you have to make it to pay taxes on it. LOT of purchases around here is money laundering. Only explanation for.

Point of the example is that the 800 acres is owned in full and the profit can be used to buy more land. Someone owns 800 acres outright and buys 100 overpriced acres. The cost of the 100 averaged out over the income of the now 900 makes it a lot easier to manage.

Yes there are subsidies and you can throw in the crop insurance racket as well but this is the reality. The example was 800 acres. Depending on your area what if someone owns 1500 acres free and clear? 3000 acres? 7000 acres?

For the farms around here that are bought with cash who cares if the land market tanks and prices plummet? No loan, don't have to sell, can still make some kind of a profit, can always eat, different mindset and goals.
Posted By: DaveP

Re: Land prices near you - 02/24/24 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by HobbieTrapper
A friend just bought a 200 acre unoccupied farm a couple miles from me for 400k.

From his dad, lol?

My brother paid just under $2K an acre on the shore...
30+ years ago, and it had a tangled path to ownership

Logged it 12-15 years ago for about that.
And promptly bought more.
Posted By: Orlando

Re: Land prices near you - 02/24/24 01:48 PM

Maybe land prices will go down. But, there’s a fair chance it won’t in my lifetime. If you want it and can afford it, probably better just buy it now.
Inflation doesn’t correct but rarely.
I heard a quote one time that resonated with me- “nobody ever regretted buying ground once it’s paid for”.

My own perspective - there is no feeling quite like owning your own dirt.

Finally, there are a lot of seemingly smart investors managing REIT’s and farmland ETF’s that think farmland is a good investment.
My 2 cents.

Re: Land prices near you - 02/24/24 01:55 PM

During the depression people who owned land without liens made it without standing in line for free soup. If you borrow pay it quick as you can. Owning without debt should be a priority. If there is a big crash anything with a lien is gone. You dont want to be standing in the soup line.

Re: Land prices near you - 02/24/24 01:58 PM

FWIW we talked about buying the wifes dads old lot just to have. I dont want to have to pay the city for mowing or drive up there a dozen times every year to mow it myself.
Posted By: 2poor

Re: Land prices near you - 02/24/24 01:59 PM

Lots of variables. A 40 acre parcel locally 1/2 woods and 1/2 low will fetch $100K +.

A decent one acre buildable parcel off the Lake will fetch about $18,500

A very nice house on Mille Lacs just sold for 500K and they moved a trackhoe in yesterday to demolish the structure to make room for a Mc Mansion.

Wife has a tillable 40 in NW Iowa that is appraised at around 16K per acre.

Re: Land prices near you - 02/24/24 02:02 PM

That is what i was saying about big farmers,if you have 3000 acres payed off, you
can buy a new 500 acre farm and use that 3500 acres to pay it off in 5 years.
Plus they sell building rights off of them,and most have a house to rent out.
And on top of that taxes not bad either.( But i wish ranches and farmers could buy it all)
We don't need any more houses!!!
Posted By: BC-Buck

Re: Land prices near you - 02/24/24 02:15 PM

NE Missouri
When I bought 30 years ago tillable rent paid 4% and I was good with that. Property was investment I could use and enjoy. Had girlfriend that thought I should buy a house and settle down. I made wright decision. Now tillable selling $7500 and rent $135 per acre. With people in government screwing things up investors feel land is safer investment. Caused land to go up 50% plus. What I get mad about is other country's buying and renting are land. Dont know if still true but for while Japan was running there cattle on rented federal land. Also heard where using there processing plants in USA.
Posted By: hrdtoflw

Re: Land prices near you - 02/24/24 02:40 PM

There is a 28 acre piece next to me, listed at $528,000. About half pasture, half woods. Lots of lookers, but no takers so far.
Posted By: Skin em

Re: Land prices near you - 02/24/24 03:11 PM

In 1982 bought 200 acres hunting type land could never farm it rocks, clay , hills low ground paid $75 per acre thru real estate co . Sold it 2004 for $1,100 acre , could sell today $2,500
acre easy , Invested the profit in land near home that could be farmed and that has went up very high i dont think young guys could get a start here without family money to kick start em
Posted By: cattails

Re: Land prices near you - 02/24/24 03:15 PM

Something different is going on in this Kankakee River region that I live in, and it's almost impossible to defend against unless you have deep pockets. Here is my elementary understanding of it.....There is a federal push for solar with big money incentives being thrown around. Questionable land that may be worth 5-6 thousand an acre is being bought up by outside investors, at about 13 thousand knowing that when it's in the solar program it will be valued at about 20 thousand. There are individuals who don't know why anyone would turn down that kind of money, and there are individuals that are so rooted in the farming community that would never sell at any cost. Our society and community is changing and being transformed by the federal government by the use of private enterprise.

Re: Land prices near you - 02/24/24 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by cattails
Something different is going on in this Kankakee River region that I live in, and it's almost impossible to defend against unless you have deep pockets. Here is my elementary understanding of it.....There is a federal push for solar with big money incentives being thrown around. Questionable land that may be worth 5-6 thousand an acre is being bought up by outside investors, at about 13 thousand knowing that when it's in the solar program it will be valued at about 20 thousand. There are individuals who don't know why anyone would turn down that kind of money, and there are individuals that are so rooted in the farming community that would never sell at any cost. Our society and community is changing and being transformed by the federal government by the use of private enterprise.

Socialism? Im trying to stop my use of liberalism.
Posted By: Boco

Re: Land prices near you - 02/24/24 03:28 PM

So with all these overinflated land prices you have to pay down there,what kind of taxes do you have to pay each year to be able to keep it after you buy it?

Re: Land prices near you - 02/24/24 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by hrdtoflw
There is a 28 acre piece next to me, listed at $528,000. About half pasture, half woods. Lots of lookers, but no takers so far.

With the stock market going up people are moving out of STl to be your neighbor. At least your house value will be going up weather you like it or not. Just dont send them up to Pike co.

Re: Land prices near you - 02/24/24 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by Boco
So with all these overinflated land prices you have to pay down there,what kind of taxes do you have to pay each year to be able to keep it after you buy it?

Knew people with swamp land (not buildable) in NY saying taxes(over $10k a year) where so high was not able to sell land.

Re: Land prices near you - 02/24/24 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by hrdtoflw

Yes and unless sub divided and sold as building lots . IT WILL NEVER pay for it's self!

Re: Land prices near you - 02/24/24 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by jarentz
That is what i was saying about big farmers,if you have 3000 acres payed off, you
can buy a new 500 acre farm and use that 3500 acres to pay it off in 5 years.
Plus they sell building rights off of them,and most have a house to rent out.
And on top of that taxes not bad either.( But i wish ranches and farmers could buy it all)
We don't need any more houses!!!

Yes if it has been in your family and paid off.
I don't care if you pay cash for 3000 acres and you pay 10,000 per acre. Yes you don't have a payment but you HAVE TO RECOOP your cash back before you can say it was profitable. You do realize that is 30 million dollars price tag. This entire thread was about BUYING land at todays prices. With the risk of crop yield and fuel cost there will be years that the 3000 acres WONT have a 5 % profit. It only take couple years in arrow. Of course you could do what TONS of farmers have done . File bankruptcy let someone else hold the loss....EVERY big farmer around here has filed it at some point. Then next year have new equipment and ton more acres ........
Posted By: cattails

Re: Land prices near you - 02/24/24 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by Boco

In our case. The over inflated taxes being paid by the solar companies go into a state coffer that somehow comes back to the local county. It was explained by the local assessor , but I'm not schooled enough in government to grasp it. something about a 2percent cap. Sounds like money diversity to me. The farmers that are buying that ground to stop it are deep generational farmers.

Re: Land prices near you - 02/24/24 04:23 PM

https://zedmultimedia.com/2024/02/2...my-as-record-corn-supplies-sit-in-silos/

Here goes your "pay for it farming" theory

Corn is around 4.55 a bushel
Approximate break even average is 5.20

Soo if you had 3000 acres you lost more than the guy with 1,000 .......

This type of expected loss is pervasive in rural America.

The American Farm Bureau Federation, an industry group, said in a report this month that net farm income in 2024 is projected to have the largest year-over-year dollar decline in history.

Deere & Co DE.N, the world’s largest farm equipment maker, expects sales of large farm equipment to decline 20% this year due to low commodity prices and high interest rates.
Posted By: snowy

Re: Land prices near you - 02/24/24 04:23 PM

I have bought land and sold land through the years. I never once bought land and had the mindset that it would pay for itself or was it a game changer for me to buy.

Land is a long-term investment with hopefully some equity growth at some time. It hasn't been a reality for decades now that a piece of ground could pay for itself if you figure in all expenses that come with trying to do so.

I bought land as little as 800$ Ac to 7K an Ac and sold land as much as 14K an Ac. If land was given to you than making a total living off of it is real. Decades ago, it was an investment too, but the long-term investment at some time you could make a living from it, but it took years back then also.

Re: Land prices near you - 02/24/24 04:48 PM

Around here they are paying rent 250.00 to 300.00 an acre for land to farm. Guys coming from 50 miles
away bidding on land to farm. I know farmers that farmed the same land 15-20 years,and
someone would come and pay more. Like i said before,i would rather see farmers own it then any
real estate. My 2 cousins are farming what 40 farmer did in the 70tys.
Posted By: gcs

Re: Land prices near you - 02/24/24 05:11 PM

Sold 92 acres of mountain top land , north Catskills, last year for 225,000, just missed the top of the values by a couple months. Covid people bidding everything up for a while.
About 30 acres hay fields, rest forest, no utilities. Broke my heart to sell but there is no one to leave it too.
This area always had "low" land prices in comparison to almost everywhere else.

Re: Land prices near you - 02/24/24 06:45 PM

Once again it is a different mindset and goals. Completely different than stocks/bonds/cd goals and strategy. Using bankruptcy as a tool is not good but it is part of the industry and used as a tool. One down year is not a trend. JD may sell less but other years more. The only problem I see is multiple years in a row drought and if that happens the govt. will step in to bail out/hand out money. If you take in the whole US there are thousands of farmers/ranchers making this work.

Re: Land prices near you - 02/24/24 06:59 PM

jbyrd63, whats the price after tax payer bailout?
Posted By: Mike Cope

Re: Land prices near you - 02/24/24 06:59 PM

https://www.acrevalue.com/map
Posted By: wy.wolfer

Re: Land prices near you - 02/24/24 08:24 PM

I live in Colorado next to a ski area on my 38 acres of pasture for horses and mules. If I posted what comps are here, heads would explode. I'm going back to Wyoming, this place now (stinks) and I'm being polite so I don't get cancelled.
Posted By: crowheart

Re: Land prices near you - 02/24/24 09:47 PM

If you want to play here bring a million If you want to stay bring another million!
Posted By: bblwi

Re: Land prices near you - 02/24/24 10:13 PM

Quite variable here (cropland) as to locatin close to other expanding farmers ( semis are increasing the range today), yield capability on 3 crops, corn, hay, beans, but mostly field size. with todays large equipment, small irregular fields bring much less per acre. Prices range from 5K to 12.5 K but much less land is being sold the last few year. Many can get 250-325 per acre for rent 5 ton dry matter hay ground and 20 ton corn silage ground so not much advantage to be selling and looking for a place to invest the money in the current market and pay the capital gains. Spouse can inherit and or create trust so kids can draw rent payments as well. Around here many would prefer to rent land and expand cow numbers.

Bryce
Posted By: Elkguy

Re: Land prices near you - 02/24/24 11:40 PM

43 acres across the road from us just sold for 3.2 million. No buildings.

Re: Land prices near you - 02/25/24 12:42 AM

I looked at the map / link Mike Cope posted and from what I've seen locally, prices for prime farmland was about 3000.00$ short.
Posted By: T-Rex

Re: Land prices near you - 02/25/24 01:25 AM

Land for development; $112,069 Per acre.
Posted By: Animals Only

Re: Land prices near you - 02/25/24 12:37 PM

2.3 million for 77 acres of clay field with nothing on it.
Posted By: DRF

Re: Land prices near you - 02/25/24 01:21 PM

400 give or take a few just sold here for 4 million. Has a house on it that needs much work, nice sized steel building but doesn’t seem well built and couple large grain bins. You’ll always pay into the drainage district ( no idea what that costs) and several smaller creeks that run through. Out of the 400 or so I have no idea how much is in crop land but that price seems crazy to me, but new vehicle prices seem crazy to me also but as long as people keep buying the price sure won’t go down.
Posted By: 3togo

Re: Land prices near you - 02/25/24 01:42 PM

Farm subsidies. This is near me in Illinois. Local farmer and family farm approximately 7-9K acres. I looked up the subsidies a few years ago and both he and his wife got 1 million each from the government. He also owns one of the breweries in town and a bakery that will soon open.
Posted By: Boone Liane

Re: Land prices near you - 02/25/24 02:21 PM

We have about 2000 acres of grass rangeland going to auction at the end of the month here.

I’ve been eyeballing the homestead, it’d be awesome to own along with just 40-60 acres.

It’s fully expected to bring four figures per acre minimum.

For reference, with the current calf market and where interest rates are, you wouldn’t even be able to cover your interest at $1000/acre. From a production standpoint.
Posted By: Half ton

Re: Land prices near you - 02/25/24 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by Mike Cope

According to this it goes for just shy of 7000 an acre where I live at. Farm down the road I've hunted and trapped for years, they have a realtor trying to sell two 10 acers lots for $250,000 ea.
Farm rent is 200 to 350 an acre.

Russ
Posted By: Donnersurvivor

Re: Land prices near you - 02/25/24 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by Boone Liane
We have about 2000 acres of grass rangeland going to auction at the end of the month here.

I’ve been eyeballing the homestead, it’d be awesome to own along with just 40-60 acres.

It’s fully expected to bring four figures per acre minimum.

For reference, with the current calf market and where interest rates are, you wouldn’t even be able to cover your interest at $1000/acre. From a production standpoint.

South Dakota was my dream destination. When I first started looked adds talked about how many cattle could be run, how much hay could be produced, etc. Now all the adds talk about scenery and hunting and often dont mention cattle at all. I had to give up that dream.
Posted By: Old Relic

Re: Land prices near you - 02/25/24 03:31 PM

Locally a 400 acre tract just sold for $4000 per acre. Roughly 100 acres of it was bluffs and near verticle land. Maybe another hundred acres was cedar- Limestone scrub. The balance was marginal poor timberland. Bought by a local attorney for a hunting property.

I have a property in North Central Alabama where developers are offering me $40,000 per acre.

Either way, I think that it is too much money.
Posted By: Bob_Iowa

Re: Land prices near you - 02/25/24 03:38 PM

A clear 160 was sold last year for 14000 an acre a couple of miles from here.

Re: Land prices near you - 02/25/24 03:47 PM

73 acres of tillable land in Sioux County near Sheldon , Iowa recently sold for $30,000 an acre. I believe that set the bar pretty high for Iowa farm land.
I

Re: Land prices near you - 02/25/24 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by Bob_Iowa
A clear 160 was sold last year for 14000 an acre a couple of miles from here.

If out of state land owners could hunt every year Iowa would really get expensive.
Posted By: Bob_Iowa

Re: Land prices near you - 02/25/24 04:02 PM

That was bought by farmers they were farming it and the investor wanted to sell it and move his money into more land next to some other he owns, but yes that would drive the land prices higher.

Re: Land prices near you - 02/25/24 04:27 PM

In order for him to pay 30K per dirt acre at least 1 other individual was willing to give $29.000 !

Re: Land prices near you - 02/25/24 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by Old Relic
Locally a 400 acre tract just sold for $4000 per acre. Roughly 100 acres of it was bluffs and near verticle land. Maybe another hundred acres was cedar- Limestone scrub. The balance was marginal poor timberland. Bought by a local attorney for a hunting property.

I have a property in North Central Alabama where developers are offering me $40,000 per acre.

Either way, I think that it is too much money.

Ok so I will give you $10,000 an acre then wink.

Re: Land prices near you - 02/25/24 05:15 PM

I read a article that land in mid west was still increasing but at slower rate than last couple years. I find that hard to believe with the jump it took and what stock has been doing.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums