Home

Question for anyone who runs Duke stop-loss

Posted By: Trap Setter

Question for anyone who runs Duke stop-loss - 02/23/24 09:57 PM

How do you not rack your hand with the bail? I have one I am going to throw away cause it keeps springing back and cracking my fingers. Tried holding the very end of of the long spring and it gave me a blood blister lol.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Spike369

Re: Question for anyone who runs Duke stop-loss - 02/23/24 10:10 PM

Buy coil springs.

Re: Question for anyone who runs Duke stop-loss - 02/23/24 10:23 PM

Yeah I run mostly Victor square pan long spring stop-loss got a few square pan jumps from a member here last week and like how the set as well but I have the one Duke I got somewhere and it's a knuckle buster every dang time. Just wondering if there is a trick to them other than chuckin' em in the trash? Lol. I'd wouldn't even give it away 'cause I'd feel bad.
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: Question for anyone who runs Duke stop-loss - 02/23/24 10:35 PM

PM Bogmaster. I think he helped design it.
Posted By: Muskratwalt

Re: Question for anyone who runs Duke stop-loss - 02/23/24 10:42 PM

TS: I tried a few several years ago and didn't like them. When I use stop-loss on rats I use my old Victor or Blake and lamb. They been catching for decades.
Posted By: panaxman

Re: Question for anyone who runs Duke stop-loss - 02/23/24 10:43 PM

Look at the old Blake and lamb original version. They had a pin attached to the chain that would hold down the auxillary spring, until the animal’s first tug after jaws closed.. Used a lot of those b&l stop loss with pins . Great coon trap. Pinched fingers gets old!
Posted By: nimzy

Re: Question for anyone who runs Duke stop-loss - 02/23/24 10:55 PM

30 + years ago I had them backwards stoploss. Took about 5 years before the last one got sailed into the drink. I hated those traps!
Posted By: Nostalgia

Re: Question for anyone who runs Duke stop-loss - 02/23/24 10:59 PM

Originally Posted by nimzy
30 + years ago I had them backwards stoploss. Took about 5 years before the last one got sailed into the drink. I hated those traps!

Why?
Posted By: upstateNY

Re: Question for anyone who runs Duke stop-loss - 02/23/24 11:08 PM

Originally Posted by panaxman
Look at the old Blake and lamb original version. They had a pin attached to the chain that would hold down the auxillary spring, until the animal’s first tug after jaws closed.. Used a lot of those b&l stop loss with pins . Great coon trap. Pinched fingers gets old!

I still have a bunch of the old Blake & Lambs.They have the pin on the chain to hold the other spring down.

Re: Question for anyone who runs Duke stop-loss - 02/23/24 11:09 PM

A little skim ice and bang, they slapped your hand.

My temper got ahead of me. I’ve always had “snappy” traps.

PS don’t miss them
Posted By: sjc

Re: Question for anyone who runs Duke stop-loss - 02/23/24 11:24 PM

I still have over 100 of the "knuckle buster" B&Ls. Great rat trap, but I must admit, I've launched a few into the marsh. Gotta hold them underneath. I say this and I know better, but I still got beat up by some this season. My son was driving the boat and my daughter was handing me traps and stakes. I swear I could hear them laughing behind me every time I got whacked...

Re: Question for anyone who runs Duke stop-loss - 02/23/24 11:42 PM

Originally Posted by sjc
I still have over 100 of the "knuckle buster" B&Ls. Great rat trap, but I must admit, I've launched a few into the marsh. Gotta hold them underneath. I say this and I know better, but I still got beat up by some this season. My son was driving the boat and my daughter was handing me traps and stakes. I swear I could hear them laughing behind me every time I got whacked...

You don't know how to use the provided pin to hold the bar down?If you hate them so much,,I would be interested in buying them.P.M. me if you want.

Re: Question for anyone who runs Duke stop-loss - 02/23/24 11:52 PM

Originally Posted by panaxman

Mine probably is the old Blake and lamb the pin pops out as soon as the trap fires. This ones not gonna make another catch. Might try to make a couple knives out of the springs.

Re: Question for anyone who runs Duke stop-loss - 02/23/24 11:52 PM

I don't use the pins on any stoploss and I have about 700, mostly vics. It's not because I don't know how to use the pin. I don't like it. I also never said that I hated them. I actually said that they were a "great rat trap". If I wanted to get rid of them, I'd have done it long ago.

Re: Question for anyone who runs Duke stop-loss - 02/23/24 11:59 PM

I have about 600 #1,VGs I no longer use. Switched to 1.5 CS fifteen years ago. Make me an offer grin

Re: Question for anyone who runs Duke stop-loss - 02/24/24 12:09 AM

Originally Posted by nimzy
I have about 600 #1,VGs I no longer use. Switched to 1.5 CS fifteen years ago. Make me an offer grin

Are they square pan Victor Stoploss?I might be interested.If they are Victor round pan then Im not.

Re: Question for anyone who runs Duke stop-loss - 02/24/24 12:12 AM

Round pans.

Flip pan, set bale under pan

Re: Question for anyone who runs Duke stop-loss - 02/24/24 12:16 AM

https://youtube.com/shorts/F3gF3VD5fgk

This is the trap.

Re: Question for anyone who runs Duke stop-loss - 02/24/24 12:24 AM

Originally Posted by Trap Setter

There is another way to use that pin.On the Blake & Lambs,,there is a hole drilled at the end of the trap to slide the pin into.
Posted By: Muskratwalt

Re: Question for anyone who runs Duke stop-loss - 02/24/24 12:27 AM

Originally Posted by Muskratwalt
TS: I tried a few several years ago and didn't like them. When I use stop-loss on rats I use my old Victor or Blake and lamb. They been catching for decades.

The trap I disliked was the Duke S.L. That being said, I haven't used the delay pin on my B&L S.L. for years with no noticeable change in catch rates

Re: Question for anyone who runs Duke stop-loss - 02/24/24 12:29 AM

Yeah, you gotta use the hole to get it to stay. The pins stink. Don't need them.

Re: Question for anyone who runs Duke stop-loss - 02/24/24 12:29 AM

Mine must be modified, the chain is there.

[Linked Image]

Re: Question for anyone who runs Duke stop-loss - 02/24/24 12:31 AM

Originally Posted by Trap Setter
Mine must be modified, the chain is there.

[Linked Image]

I hate it when dummies do that to a good rat trap.

Re: Question for anyone who runs Duke stop-loss - 02/24/24 12:34 AM

I guess it could be run under the j hook. That seems to work well. I guess I'd be ok giving it away now. D5 guys are gonna be happy when they see it in the bucket raffle this summer lol
Posted By: Brooktrout906

Re: Question for anyone who runs Duke stop-loss - 02/24/24 01:43 AM

Place your thumb through the spring and fingers underneath

Re: Question for anyone who runs Duke stop-loss - 02/24/24 01:59 AM

Somebody will but I've set that one for the last time. grin
Posted By: That.darn.coon

Re: Question for anyone who runs Duke stop-loss - 02/24/24 02:02 AM

Just buy 1.5 coilsprings
© 2024 Trapperman Forums