Home

Tannerite

Posted By: BandB

Tannerite - 02/21/24 03:32 PM

Anybody on here use this on beaver dams?
Posted By: warrior

Re: Tannerite - 02/21/24 03:39 PM

Careful posting as there are some lines that can be crossed that run afoul of federal rules.

Charging for services is one.

Transport can be another.

I assume everything will be done "noncommercial" wink.
Posted By: Guss

Re: Tannerite - 02/21/24 03:41 PM

You don't want the ATF kicking down your door at 3am.
Posted By: Trapset

Re: Tannerite - 02/21/24 03:42 PM

Can be some issues “when used in manor inconsistent with labeling” as well.

Re: Tannerite - 02/21/24 06:38 PM

Mainly curious about how strong it is. I've never shot it. Very few dams I've seen would allow you to get far enough away from it to use around here.
Posted By: Bigbrownie

Re: Tannerite - 02/21/24 06:43 PM

I saw a rancher try to blow a dam in Utah….didnt work. In order to be effective, it would need to be down inside the dam, and the surrounding material would need compacted. Same principle with using dynamite, it need to be in a hole and the hole needs stemmed.
Posted By: MJM

Re: Tannerite - 02/21/24 07:17 PM

There are plenty of video's on u tube of it being done.
Posted By: warrior

Re: Tannerite - 02/21/24 07:26 PM

It can be, and is regularly, done but not the most efficient due to it's peculiar detonation requirements.

As said, an explosive is best used when you can confine and direct its force to achieve the desired results. In the case of beaver dams this means using the stream bottom, if solid, or water, non compressible fluid, side to direct the force to the weaker stick and mud dam. This usually means some sort of penetrative deployment such as drilling down into the dam which further compounds it's detonation.
Posted By: trapper les

Re: Tannerite - 02/21/24 07:57 PM

I've played with it a little....putting a tie plate over the top of the charge after digging into the breastwork of the beaver dam.....will help with directing and forcing the charge....be careful....you may not be able to accurately predict where that piece of metal will go...

Re: Tannerite - 02/21/24 08:20 PM

To bad you can't go into a hardware store and buy some TNT today.
Posted By: randall brannon

Re: Tannerite - 02/21/24 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by Guss
To bad you can't go into a hardware store and buy some TNT today.

Do like the illegals and Terrorists aredoing now. Go into a mine and steal it!! Evidently not illegal under Demented Joe!! We were ordered to ignore it.
Posted By: Osky

Re: Tannerite - 02/21/24 10:35 PM

Yes. Use it right and it works terrific.
You have to use actual tannerite, not the colored junk they use for baby reveals.

Osky
Posted By: Swamp Wolf

Re: Tannerite - 02/21/24 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by warrior
Careful posting as there are some lines that can be crossed that run afoul of federal rules.

This^^^

If used for commercial purposes and/or mix off site and transported....you will need a permit thru ATF.

Re: Tannerite - 02/21/24 10:42 PM

Thanks for the replies. How strong is it? Say 2lbs or 5 lbs to breech a medium sized dam?
Posted By: Jtrapper

Re: Tannerite - 02/21/24 11:44 PM

Thanks for the replies. How strong is it? Say 2lbs or 5 lbs to breech a medium sized dam?

Ive never used it but as a certified blaster id err on the side of caution and go with 2 lb's to start with. Might want to make sure no gas/water/fiber optic/sewer/power lines are around also.
Posted By: M.Magis

Re: Tannerite - 02/21/24 11:45 PM

Like mentioned, lot of videos out there with good details on how to pack it, place it, and amount. I’ve seen them use from 5 lbs to 50 lbs.
Posted By: varmintshooter

Re: Tannerite - 02/22/24 12:54 AM

Unless it is a really old dam with trees and big roots just dig it out.
As JTrapper said you have underground pipes and cables, plus there's migrating fish, water quality, Local and state laws.
If it is a really big dam holding a massave amount of water you might blow a road culvert or wash a road
Its fun to blow stuff up - till it ain't
If it really needs to be blown hire someone with an explosive liscense and just watch, you wont need insurance, or worry about a phone call
Posted By: BvrRetriever

Re: Tannerite - 02/22/24 12:56 AM

At least here, you need a blaster license to remove a beaver dam with explosive.
Posted By: HobbieTrapper

Re: Tannerite - 02/22/24 01:05 AM

Originally Posted by Swamp Wolf

This^^^

If used for commercial purposes and/or mix off site and transported....you will need a permit thru ATF.

You do?
Posted By: Ohio Wolverine

Re: Tannerite - 02/22/24 01:27 AM

https://youtu.be/zwx7WGiRz3U
Posted By: 160user

Re: Tannerite - 02/22/24 01:44 AM

Originally Posted by Swamp Wolf

This^^^

How does one acquire a permit through Automatic Transmission Fluid?
Posted By: Mark K

Re: Tannerite - 02/22/24 01:54 AM

Remember that idiot who put 100 pounds of it in an old dump truck and let 'er rip? That was just a few miles from me. That idiot technically did not break the law, but they pursued and harassed, and finally found a way to trump up some charges against him. If your local GW hears of it, and he will because no one ever keeps their mouth shut, there is a fair chance he will get tiny wiener disease and retaliate against you for having fun.

Re: Tannerite - 02/22/24 02:03 AM

To the OP…
A 1lb brick will be more than enough. Set up and use it right. Solid earth, a mix, or frozen material. No problem.

Osky

Re: Tannerite - 02/22/24 02:19 AM

Originally Posted by Osky
To the OP…
A 1lb brick will be more than enough. Set up and use it right. Solid earth, a mix, or frozen material. No problem.

Osky

Thanks
Posted By: waggler

Re: Tannerite - 02/22/24 03:30 AM

I've never understood how that stuff stays on the market.
The components are completely legal, but once you mix them, you have manufacred an explosive which is unlawful without the appropriate licenses.
I get a visit every two years from my friendly ATF inspector (I have a users and manufacturers license).
We've talked about tannerite a couple of times; he's as plerplexed about the legality of tannerite as I am.
I'm surprised people aren't getting killed by the stuff. Unlike black powder, tannerite is a high explosive, and really isn't something to be just played around with.
Posted By: ToTheWoods

Re: Tannerite - 02/22/24 04:50 AM

We have used it once and it worked great. If I remember correctly we used 15lbs. Be careful of the fallout. we had a dirt clod hit the ground 9.3 seconds after the initial explosion according to the video.

Re: Tannerite - 02/22/24 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by ToTheWoods
We have used it once and it worked great. If I remember correctly we used 15lbs. Be careful of the fallout. we had a dirt clod hit the ground 9.3 seconds after the initial explosion according to the video.

15 lbs? Were you destroying D10 bulldozers?

Osky

Re: Tannerite - 02/22/24 02:18 PM

Use it to remove stumps.
Posted By: trapper les

Re: Tannerite - 02/22/24 02:48 PM

I bought 20lbs some time ago....3 or th ose containers you mix up will fit into a large size Folgers Crystals container and it's a nice "target red" color. That will loosen up the breastwork of a pretty tall beaver dam if you dig it in good to the base 3-4' down. At the very least, after the blow, things will appear to be seeping and wanting to get very wet and a little work with the tater rake will open quite a crevice quickly.

Re: Tannerite - 02/22/24 03:33 PM

Use it to remove stumps.
Posted By: M.Magis

Re: Tannerite - 02/22/24 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by Osky
Originally Posted by ToTheWoods

15 lbs? Were you destroying D10 bulldozers?

Osky

15 lbs isn't a particularly large amount, depending on the dam and how deep it's buried of course

Re: Tannerite - 02/22/24 04:44 PM

Not sure how some of you are using it but a pound will knock a 5’plus wide by 4’ deep gouge in a solid thick dam. When the water drops down far enough repeat and go deeper if need be.

Osky
© 2024 Trapperman Forums