Home

Any Bohemians here?

Posted By: Gary Benson

Any Bohemians here? - 02/16/24 08:29 PM

I'm looking for a good kolache recipe...anybody got one?
Posted By: trapjunkie

Re: Any Bohemians here? - 02/16/24 08:40 PM

I’ll be watching this, sure miss grandma.

Re: Any Bohemians here? - 02/16/24 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by trapjunkie
I’ll be watching this, sure miss grandma.

You from around Wilber?
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Any Bohemians here? - 02/16/24 09:01 PM

I'm not a Bohunk but my One legged Grandma used to call me one! grin
Posted By: ceelmo.trap

Re: Any Bohemians here? - 02/16/24 09:09 PM

These are made with a sweet bread dough or a rich sweet dough found it long ago in a old5th printing Betty Crockers cook book I have had for many years Gives everything you need to know if this helps you Gary.My mother was a full blood Bohonk and could speak it but didnt pass it down Made great kolache not the new kind the young bakers make now days fat puffy and a dab of filling in them old school if you know the kind I am talking about.
Posted By: randall brannon

Re: Any Bohemians here? - 02/16/24 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by 330-Trapper

HA HA HA!!!

Re: Any Bohemians here? - 02/16/24 09:18 PM

Half German half Bohemian good reasons to like beer,sausages and a good polka band.

Re: Any Bohemians here? - 02/16/24 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by ceelmo.trap
These are made with a sweet bread dough or a rich sweet dough found it long ago in a old5th printing Betty Crockers cook book I have had for many years Gives everything you need to know if this helps you Gary.My mother was a full blood Bohonk and could speak it but didnt pass it down Made great kolache not the new kind the young bakers make now days fat puffy and a dab of filling in them old school if you know the kind I am talking about.

You have my attention!

Re: Any Bohemians here? - 02/16/24 09:21 PM

Half German half Bohemian good reasons to like beer,sausages and a good polka band.

Bob Blecha and the Bouncin Czechs!

Re: Any Bohemians here? - 02/16/24 09:21 PM

If you have a recipe you should share it with us. I think there is even a forum on here for that.

Re: Any Bohemians here? - 02/16/24 09:35 PM

Easier said than done in the cookbook it is one whole page by the time you follow all of the recipe and the how twos to make them.Still the best cookbook I have. Pointed this in the right direction I thought.

Re: Any Bohemians here? - 02/16/24 09:36 PM

No sir, I’m not from Wilber but I’ve been there many times. I had a polka band for 20 years. Played there quite a few times and for the Czech festivals too. Anyway, I have a bohemian cookbook, I’ll dig it out see what I can find.

Re: Any Bohemians here? - 02/16/24 09:37 PM

Do you know bob?
Posted By: MJM

Re: Any Bohemians here? - 02/16/24 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by 330-Trapper

I had a bar tender that always called me a Bohemian. He was a Czech. So the same thing. If you do a search on the inter web you will find recipes. Even sour dough recipes. My wife just looked it up. It looks like a jelly doughnut with no hole and the filling on top.

Re: Any Bohemians here? - 02/16/24 09:50 PM

I found 5 recipes but that’s a lot of typing, maybe tomorrow I can send you pictures of the recipes.
Posted By: MJM

Re: Any Bohemians here? - 02/16/24 09:56 PM

I found 5 recipes but that’s a lot of typing, maybe tomorrow I can send you pictures of the recipes.

It is bad that he can not look it up on his own. That would be good of you to send it to him. Google it.

Re: Any Bohemians here? - 02/16/24 09:56 PM

The Czech Kolache I grew up on had a fruit filling in the center and hand the for corers gathered and pinched together in the center when baked aliitle filing was at the corners.The last ones from MA were in 1991.

Re: Any Bohemians here? - 02/16/24 10:22 PM

Not all kolaches are created equal. Lots of recipes out there but some are way better than others. Grandma made 4 or 5 dozen every weekend, even canned her own fillings. Apricot, strawberry, and cherry. Dang I shoulda paid more attention.

Re: Any Bohemians here? - 02/16/24 10:38 PM

Do you know bob?

Sure do! He's still kicking but not raising much dust. His Son or Grandson Doug is carrying on with the music now

Re: Any Bohemians here? - 02/16/24 10:40 PM

Originally Posted by MJM

It is bad that he can not look it up on his own. That would be good of you to send it to him. Google it.

Thanks smartarse. There's lots of recipes out there but few original good ones. Don't feel obligated to click on a post if it bothers you.

Re: Any Bohemians here? - 02/16/24 10:42 PM

Tell him Frankie Remar says hi.
Thanks

Re: Any Bohemians here? - 02/16/24 10:46 PM

Yepper my mother was old school dont recall her following a real cookbook she could whip up dough from memory Made all kind of bread rolls even made long johns. baking was a day long event when she went at it, nothing but the best memories bread rolls and pies.
Posted By: beaverpeeler

Re: Any Bohemians here? - 02/16/24 10:49 PM

I just checked my Betty Crocker Cookbook 1989 edition but no kolache recipe in there. My mother had a much older version (Betty Crocker) but I don't know what become of that cookbook.

Re: Any Bohemians here? - 02/16/24 11:28 PM

The cookbook I have is fifth printing of the first edition hard red cover and string bound oldy but goodie
Posted By: slydogx

Re: Any Bohemians here? - 02/17/24 02:37 AM

[Linked Image]

Is this what you are looking for? From an old cook book.
Posted By: midlander

Re: Any Bohemians here? - 02/17/24 02:57 AM

Had a co-worker make them every year for Christmas and I would get a variety box. My favorites by far were the 'walnut filling' filled Kolaches...
Posted By: Woodsloafer72

Re: Any Bohemians here? - 02/17/24 03:09 AM

You mean they can be filled with something besides poppyseeds??!!
Posted By: gcs

Re: Any Bohemians here? - 02/17/24 02:35 PM

Never had them here, but did in Texas, Don't know how old school they were but they sure were good,I prefered the fruit ones,..

Re: Any Bohemians here? - 02/17/24 03:24 PM

Many different styles of Kolaches made and it all depends on where and what state you are in The Texas Kolache is and ones that are that are are made here in MN where they have a festival for them are also diff to.the ones I know best are from a little town Protovin Ia. which has a large Chezch population. They celebrate Chezch days once a year and sell out every one they have for sale.
Posted By: Bear Tracker

Re: Any Bohemians here? - 02/17/24 04:13 PM

Wife is all Bohunk, she said she will type it up for you and get it for you. She and her mother made them for the family Bohunk church as I called it and Bohemian Hall chicken dinners all the time.
Posted By: wytex

Re: Any Bohemians here? - 02/17/24 04:32 PM

The little town of West, Tx is known for it's kolaches.
It is a Czech community.

Here's a recipe from Southern Living magazine from a Texas lady. https://www.southernliving.com/recipes/lydias-texas-kolaches
Here is the print recipe written out: https://www.southernliving.com/recipes/lydias-texas-kolaches?print

My spouse is from a German town in Texas and stores there make a sausage kolache which is not anything like the fruit ones, a sausage roll it is more like.
Posted By: martentrapper

Re: Any Bohemians here? - 02/17/24 05:48 PM

All you bohunks, what language did your bohunk ancestors speak? Did some Wikipedia reading about Bohemia. Several different languages in the area.
Posted By: gcs

Re: Any Bohemians here? - 02/17/24 06:08 PM

We have a town here called "Bohemia", I guessing a Czech enclave, but there didn't seem to ever be a lot of them, and they certainly didn't spread . I only know one person who had a partial Czech background and that was his Mom.

Re: Any Bohemians here? - 02/17/24 06:41 PM

Czech was the language used when I was growing up. Czech neighborhood east of the railroad tracks, Polish on the west side, and Lithuanian south of them with the big packers in the middle. Swifts, Armours, Cudahy, and Wilson’s. Right next to the Omaha stockyards. Hard workin folks.
Posted By: KeithC

Re: Any Bohemians here? - 02/17/24 07:15 PM

Keith

Re: Any Bohemians here? - 02/17/24 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by Bear Tracker
Wife is all Bohunk, she said she will type it up for you and get it for you. She and her mother made them for the family Bohunk church as I called it and Bohemian Hall chicken dinners all the time.

Thank you!!!

Re: Any Bohemians here? - 02/17/24 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by wytex
The little town of West, Tx is known for it's kolaches.
It is a Czech community.

Here's a recipe from Southern Living magazine from a Texas lady. https://www.southernliving.com/recipes/lydias-texas-kolaches
Here is the print recipe written out: https://www.southernliving.com/recipes/lydias-texas-kolaches?print

My spouse is from a German town in Texas and stores there make a sausage kolache which is not anything like the fruit ones, a sausage roll it is more like.

Thank you!

Re: Any Bohemians here? - 02/17/24 07:45 PM

Keith, that outfit ain’t what I would identify as the type of Bohunk we’re referring to. We’re talking old school. anyway, just for fun. YouTube Clydesdale polka video. I started a band in 1962 and growing up in a Czech neighborhood we listened to music from Czechoslovakia. Long story short, I got hired to play for the wedding dance of the daughter of one of the Anheuser-Busch muckety mucks in St. Louis. So, I wrote up this little tune for my band to play at the reception. I think you’ll recognize it.

Re: Any Bohemians here? - 02/17/24 08:06 PM

Keith, that outfit ain’t what I would identify as the type of Bohunk we’re referring to. We’re talking old school. anyway, just for fun. YouTube Clydesdale polka video. I started a band in 1962 and growing up in a Czech neighborhood we listened to music from Czechoslovakia. Long story short, I got hired to play for the wedding dance of the daughter of one of the Anheuser-Busch muckety mucks in St. Louis. So, I wrote up this little tune for my band to play at the reception. I think you’ll recognize it.

I looked on YouTube and I don't think I found your video. Please post a link.

Keith
Posted By: dakidsmn

Re: Any Bohemians here? - 02/17/24 08:14 PM

Bohunk here. Dad makes them. It all starts with the fat. Has to be goose fat.

I'll get ahold of him and get his recipe

Re: Any Bohemians here? - 02/17/24 08:23 PM

There you go !!! Enjoy!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYtF-dbIn-I

Re: Any Bohemians here? - 02/17/24 08:49 PM

Thanks.

Keith

Re: Any Bohemians here? - 02/18/24 03:25 PM

Mr. Benson. Recipes coming momentarily.

Re: Any Bohemians here? - 02/18/24 03:28 PM

/Users/chickenbubba/Desktop/kolace1.jpg/Users/chickenbubba/Desktop/kolace2.jpg/Users/chickenbubba/Desktop/kolace3.jpg

Re: Any Bohemians here? - 02/18/24 03:36 PM

Well that didn’t work. Hold on.

Re: Any Bohemians here? - 02/18/24 03:52 PM

Kolace Recipes

Attached picture kolace3.jpg
Attached picture kolace2.jpg
Attached picture kolace1.jpg

Re: Any Bohemians here? - 02/18/24 03:52 PM

Here I thought Bohemian meant the size of them.

Re: Any Bohemians here? - 02/18/24 03:58 PM

I think I’ll leave that alone.

Re: Any Bohemians here? - 02/18/24 04:24 PM

Thank you trapjunkie! We shall try those!
Posted By: beaverpeeler

Re: Any Bohemians here? - 02/18/24 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by randall brannon
Here I thought Bohemian meant the size of them.

I always thought "Bohemians" were the weird artsy fartsy types.

Re: Any Bohemians here? - 02/19/24 12:47 AM

No no dude, those weird artsy fartsy types WISH they were bohemians.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums