Home

how much puppy food per day?

Posted By: 330-Trapper

how much puppy food per day? - 02/16/24 03:30 PM

I'm reading conflicting things about feeding this new lab puppy. It says a quarter cup 3 times a day. But seems like such a little amount.. What have you fed your puppy when it was little
Posted By: Trapset

Re: how much puppy food per day? - 02/16/24 03:42 PM

With my new one I started with 3/4 cup am and 3/4 cup pm. Moved up to a cup twice a day when she started training outside. Mine have never been kennel dogs, we live on the river and they have always been real active. As adult during hunting season I feed 3 cups twice a day then back that off in summer. I just kinda go by how they look. Also, they never get people food or snacks unless they find something on their own.
Posted By: elsmasho82

Re: how much puppy food per day? - 02/16/24 03:43 PM

That does seem like a very small amount but all the kilocalories in foods are different. What brand of food are you feeding?
Please avoid grain free foods. It’s a growing fad diet and long term use is leading to early heart disease

Re: how much puppy food per day? - 02/16/24 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by elsmasho82
That does seem like a very small amount but all the kilocalories in foods are different. What brand of food are you feeding?
Please avoid grain free foods. It’s a growing fad diet and long term use is leading to early heart disease

[Linked Image]

Re: how much puppy food per day? - 02/16/24 03:58 PM

[Linked Image]

Re: how much puppy food per day? - 02/16/24 04:00 PM

I don't have $$$ for 50 dollar bags of food...so it's hopefully this is a step up past corn as the first ingredient.
Posted By: silkyplainscoyot

Re: how much puppy food per day? - 02/16/24 05:18 PM

Pups don't have as big of a stomach. Feed them 3 times a day for the recommended amount on the package for the weight till about 3 or 4 months old. Then you can switch to twice a day after that. If you feel it needs to be a little more give the pup a heaping 1/4 of cup.
Posted By: Lugnut

Re: how much puppy food per day? - 02/16/24 05:34 PM

That seems right to me 330. That's a total of 2.25 cups a day. I have a chart somewhere for a lab pup feeding schedule.

My full grown labs get around 4 cups a day (2 cups in the morning and 2 cups in the evening) depending on how active they are. On hunt days and extended training/exercise days I might up that to 5 or more cups a day. If we've all been lazy for a while and they start looking a bit thick I'll cut back to three cups a day.

I feed the adults Pure Balance from Walmart. After doing a bunch of research we found it compares favorably with brands that are a lot more expensive.

Re: how much puppy food per day? - 02/16/24 05:39 PM

Thanks For the replies

I'm just used to my free choice eating outdoor Redbone.
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: how much puppy food per day? - 02/16/24 05:51 PM

Purina has a age , weight, breed and type of their food specific calculator

https://www.purina.com/pet-food-feeding-guide-calculator-direct
Posted By: Old pup

Re: how much puppy food per day? - 02/16/24 06:49 PM

A few years back, I asked the vet about feeding our then new black lab pup. She (the vet) gave me some information to read and, quite frankly, I was more confused after reading it. I felt like I needed a degree in biochemistry.
I usually just make sure she (the dog) is current on shots and checkups and ask the vet if pup is a bit too chubby. Pups go through a lot of calories for their size.
Posted By: mudtracker

Re: how much puppy food per day? - 02/16/24 07:11 PM

My four month old female is getting 2 cups twice a day of purina pippy chow. She would eat more if I gave it to her. But she is growing and not overweight. I don't think the full belly feeling works in lab's.

Re: how much puppy food per day? - 02/16/24 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by mudtracker
I don't think the full belly feeling works in lab's.

Not in some of them at least. My 2.5 year old female broke into the food been a few times. It looked like she swallowed a basketball. I don't know how she didn't burst!

Other labs I've had and have were/are picky eaters. Not her though. A few weeks ago she ate a stinkbug. I thought, "that will teach you." It didn't, a few days ago she ate another one.
Posted By: 20scout

Re: how much puppy food per day? - 02/16/24 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by 330-Trapper

[Linked Image]

Scott, I used to feed my dog that brand but after a short time he started to break his nails and it was very painful for him. Vet told me not to feed him that brand anymore as it wasn't good for him in spite of what the advertisements said. Changed to Science Diet and that solved the problem. As far a feeding I have always had food out for my dogs so they are self regulated. Vet recommended this as it's less stressful on the pup and helps gain confidence. I have to say I have always had high energetic terriers and labs or larger dogs may not respond the same way.
Posted By: yotetrapper30

Re: how much puppy food per day? - 02/16/24 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by Lugnut
That seems right to me 330. That's a total of 2.25 cups a day. I have a chart somewhere for a lab pup feeding schedule.

My full grown labs get around 4 cups a day (2 cups in the morning and 2 cups in the evening) depending on how active they are. On hunt days and extended training/exercise days I might up that to 5 or more cups a day. If we've all been lazy for a while and they start looking a bit thick I'll cut back to three cups a day.

I feed the adults Pure Balance from Walmart. After doing a bunch of research we found it compares favorably with brands that are a lot more expensive.

Your math is off. He said 1/4 cup 3 times a day for a total of 3/4 cup a day. No way I'd give my pup that little.
Posted By: elsmasho82

Re: how much puppy food per day? - 02/16/24 08:17 PM

I’m not a big fan of Beneful. Pro plan is an excellent diet but it can be quite costly especially for a doggy who is going to be big. So Purina ONE is a very good next step down that won’t break the bank. Whatever you do, do a slow transition.

Re: how much puppy food per day? - 02/16/24 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by yotetrapper30
Originally Posted by Lugnut

Your math is off. He said 1/4 cup 3 times a day for a total of 3/4 cup a day. No way I'd give my pup that little.

I reread the original post and got it wrong, I thought he said 3/4 cup three times a day. You're right; a quarter cup three times a day. That doesn't seem like very much depending on the age/size of the pup. Thanks for pointing that out.
Posted By: randall brannon

Re: how much puppy food per day? - 02/16/24 09:08 PM

So I have a Dog Feeder for mine and they seem just fine. But I keep all of ours inside. Now about a month ago I was eating a bowl of Liverwurst and had a package of Nebisco crackers. I got a phone call and when I got back my Beagle finished it for me but left the crackers.. So I am thinking Crackers might be too salty for them.

Re: how much puppy food per day? - 02/16/24 09:08 PM

The chart I now found says 1/4 cup 4 times a day.

Re: how much puppy food per day? - 02/16/24 09:10 PM

I’m not a big fan of Beneful. Pro plan is an excellent diet but it can be quite costly especially for a doggy who is going to be big. So Purina ONE is a very good next step down that won’t break the bank. Whatever you do, do a slow transition.

next Bag won't be Beneful then
Posted By: Trapset

Re: how much puppy food per day? - 02/16/24 09:18 PM

I’ve always fed twice a day like above, works out to a cup and a half. Makes house training way easier and there’s no need to change the routine later on. Just my 2 cents.
Posted By: Calvin

Re: how much puppy food per day? - 02/16/24 09:27 PM

Utilize that beaver, 330. Nothing in a bag will grow a puppy (and sustain and old dog) like beaver will. I mix my beaver (and /or deer scraps) into the Purina puppy chow, personally. My dogs have always liked Purina puppy chow. I'm not spending $5/lb on dog food either.

Some dogs you can free feed. labs might not be one of those breeds, however. My terriers I can. They'll nibble here and there just what that need, until you toss beaver in the bowl. Then they scarf it down.
Posted By: trapperbill

Re: how much puppy food per day? - 02/16/24 09:42 PM

I feed this 2 cups a day.plus goodies grin she is a 10month old mountain Feist [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Nessmuck

Re: how much puppy food per day? - 02/16/24 09:54 PM

I think the bag has amounts ... according to the dogs weight
Posted By: Nessmuck

Re: how much puppy food per day? - 02/16/24 09:56 PM

All our chocolate Labs get Science Diet.

We get more compliments on his cost...and they always ask what we feed.

Their coats shimmah like a velvet Elvis Painting
Posted By: MJM

Re: how much puppy food per day? - 02/16/24 10:10 PM

I kept the bowl full and let him eat free will on my Jagd terrier. He never had any food hang ups other than he would not eat everything. You should make the pup sit when you fill the bowl and make him stay sitting until you say he can eat. You will never regret that he sits while you fill his dish rather than about eats your hand.

Re: how much puppy food per day? - 02/16/24 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by Calvin
Utilize that beaver, 330. Nothing in a bag will grow a puppy (and sustain and old dog) like beaver will. I mix my beaver (and /or deer scraps) into the Purina puppy chow, personally. My dogs have always liked Purina puppy chow. I'm not spending $5/lb on dog food either.

Some dogs you can free feed. labs might not be one of those breeds, however. My terriers I can. They'll nibble here and there just what that need, until you toss beaver in the bowl. Then they scarf it down.

Beaver will be on his diet this spring
Posted By: wws

Re: how much puppy food per day? - 02/16/24 11:00 PM

I always feed pro plan, I find that with quality dog food there is less waste to pick up. I always feed free choice too. My jack rustle never overeats.

wws
Posted By: snowy

Re: how much puppy food per day? - 02/17/24 12:25 AM

He will be eating like a horse soon and pooping like one too. Lol

Cutie little you got there.
Posted By: bucksnbears

Re: how much puppy food per day? - 02/17/24 01:16 AM

Have had labs since I was 5 years old. Never rationed thier food.
Never had one over eat either.
Let them eat and get plenty of exercise. They can regulate themselves.
Posted By: NaturesTonic

Re: how much puppy food per day? - 02/17/24 01:29 AM

Why don’t you feed the pups the meat from trapping?

You can grind the bones organs and meat in the right proportions 80-10-10 meat-organs-bones

Re: how much puppy food per day? - 02/18/24 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by bucksnbears

Even as a puppy ?
Posted By: bucksnbears

Re: how much puppy food per day? - 02/18/24 10:24 PM

Originally Posted by 330-Trapper
Originally Posted by bucksnbears

Even as a puppy ?

Yep.
Posted By: jalstat

Re: how much puppy food per day? - 02/18/24 11:13 PM

Feed him less more often along with table scraps won’t hurt him one bit
Posted By: Bob_Iowa

Re: how much puppy food per day? - 02/19/24 02:13 AM

We don’t regulate our’s dog food but he eats the meat we’re eating without any seasoning on it, ended up having to feed him blue buffalo as anything else would make him breakout and trust me I didn’t want to feed him the expensive stuff but he couldn’t eat the other so it was either buy that or shoot him so I decided to feed him the expensive stuff.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums