Home

Do You Sacrifice For Lent?

Posted By: trappingthomas

Do You Sacrifice For Lent? - 02/15/24 12:09 AM

Raised Catholic but left the church in early adulthood for many reasons. Still like to give something up during the time of lent, something that will truly be difficult for me to do. This year I chose all forms of alcohol. I have heard some say that Sunday is a cheat day. This is between me and the Lord not someone's made up rules so no cheat days. Should be good overall for body and soul (and my relationship with the wife lol) but Easter already seems a long ways off!

Anyone else observe Lent this way?
Posted By: jalstat

Re: Do You Sacrifice For Lent? - 02/15/24 12:11 AM

Raised catholic and no , haven’t set foot in a church since I buried mom and had a mass that she wanted in 2013
Posted By: g smith

Re: Do You Sacrifice For Lent? - 02/15/24 12:41 AM

Sure do . As the Lord said "prayer and fasting "
Posted By: bucksnbears

Re: Do You Sacrifice For Lent? - 02/15/24 01:41 AM

Personally, I think this Lent thing is pure stupidity!
Posted By: Scuba1

Re: Do You Sacrifice For Lent? - 02/15/24 01:49 AM

Originally Posted by bucksnbears
Personally, I think this Lent thing is pure stupidity!

Don't say that.

I think we should just drink a little more to pick up the slack and make sure the folks working in the distilleries and breweries can keep working a full shift and provide for their families

Cheers

Re: Do You Sacrifice For Lent? - 02/15/24 02:14 AM

OK Scuba. I'll drink to that smile
Posted By: Muskrat Love

Re: Do You Sacrifice For Lent? - 02/15/24 02:49 AM

No meat if any kind today, Ash Wednesday, every Friday during Lent, and all of Holy Week, until Easter Sunday morning. I actually feel better when I limit my red meat consumption.

I really like roasted vegetables...... colored peppers, Brussels sprout, carrots and sweet onions, coved with boneless chicken thighs, that I drizzle with olive oil and spices. Baked at 350 for 40 minutes! KILLER
Posted By: rex123

Re: Do You Sacrifice For Lent? - 02/15/24 02:56 AM

Is any of that in the bible anywhere ?

Re: Do You Sacrifice For Lent? - 02/15/24 03:08 AM

Originally Posted by rex123

I doubt it?

But I'm sure some churches have spun some wording to make it seem so.
Sheep bring $$ to the herder.
Posted By: Pawnee

Re: Do You Sacrifice For Lent? - 02/15/24 03:12 AM

My family does. Pretty special time of the year
Posted By: rex123

Re: Do You Sacrifice For Lent? - 02/15/24 03:15 AM

No answer so looked it up myself not in the bible another man made goody , started around the fourth century kind of a copy of a pagan idea.
Posted By: Pawnee

Re: Do You Sacrifice For Lent? - 02/15/24 03:17 AM

Originally Posted by bucksnbears
Originally Posted by rex123

I doubt it?

But I'm sure some churches have spun some wording to make it seem so.
Sheep bring $$ to the herder.

Good grief. It’s about getting yourself spiritually ready for Easter.
Posted By: dixieland

Re: Do You Sacrifice For Lent? - 02/15/24 03:17 AM

The only thing I’m giving up starting the day after Fat Tuesday, is King Cake, cause I ate mine and the stores are out of it.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Do You Sacrifice For Lent? - 02/15/24 03:18 AM

I've never read of lent in the bible so I suspect just tradition but I guess it could be considered form of fasting which is mentioned in the bible. I'm not Catholic though. Heck I attend a Baptist church and we never stop eating...
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Do You Sacrifice For Lent? - 02/15/24 03:21 AM

Nope
Posted By: backroadsarcher

Re: Do You Sacrifice For Lent? - 02/15/24 03:24 AM

X2 nope
Posted By: yotetrapper30

Re: Do You Sacrifice For Lent? - 02/15/24 04:43 AM

Not a catholic, so no.

I do consider lent as the time leading up to the Savior's death, and reflect on it, and perhaps read more about it during those weeks.

But I don't give anything up.
Posted By: Giant Sage

Re: Do You Sacrifice For Lent? - 02/15/24 04:53 AM

For by one offering he hath perfected for ever them that are sanctified. Hebrews 10:14
Posted By: waggler

Re: Do You Sacrifice For Lent? - 02/15/24 08:13 AM

Jesus did all the sacrifice that is necessary. Platoism crept in to Judaism before Christ was born. Unfortunately some Christians (both Protestant and Roman Catholic) have clung to a form of Platonic thought.

Basically the thinking goes something like this; if I cause myself some sort of discomfort, or suffering, that then gains me some sort of merit or better standing in God's eyes. That's bad theology.
Posted By: ol' dad

Re: Do You Sacrifice For Lent? - 02/15/24 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by waggler

Basically the thinking goes something like this; if I cause myself some sort of discomfort, or suffering, that then gains me some sort of merit or better standing in God's eyes.

No need for lent here then. I'm married.

Ol dad

Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Do You Sacrifice For Lent? - 02/15/24 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by ol' dad
Originally Posted by waggler

Basically the thinking goes something like this; if I cause myself some sort of discomfort, or suffering, that then gains me some sort of merit or better standing in God's eyes.

No need for lent here then. I'm married.

Ol dad

grin
Posted By: bblwi

Re: Do You Sacrifice For Lent? - 02/15/24 10:39 AM

In many cases a 40 day sacrifice or trial if you will can lead to longer term life style changes if we choose to do so. Lent can be a time of reflection and atonement which some may consider a sacrifice and others may look at it as improving our spiritual awareness and journey.

Bryce
Posted By: Aaron Proffitt

Re: Do You Sacrifice For Lent? - 02/15/24 12:57 PM

Not necessarily giving something up , but I won't be trimming my beard until after Easter. I got the idea after considering my old Navy dress uniform. Everything on it pays respect to those that came before us. The tar flap, 13 buttons on the trousers, neckerchief , bell bottoms , and so on.

The apostles were all subject to Levitical Law, they weren't to trim their beards. So, to honor their service martyrdom , no clippers or scissors until after Easter.
Posted By: Trapper7

Re: Do You Sacrifice For Lent? - 02/15/24 09:26 PM

I'm not a catholic either, just a Christian. I don't think giving something up for a certain period of time is necessarily a bad thing. It's a person choice. January 1st, Lent, or a birthday can set a starting point for some self-sacrifice. I've decided to eat smarter and lose some weight. I don't think it will get me in better graces with God, but I can use the discipline and better health.
Posted By: BernieB.

Re: Do You Sacrifice For Lent? - 02/15/24 09:31 PM

I've never understood the reason for lent. Why give something up for a short period of time? If it's not bad for you, then there's no reason to give it up, and if it is bad for you, then it should be given up for good. I don't see any basis for lent in Scripture either.

Fasting yes, there is plenty of basis for that in Scripture. Lent doesn't seem logical to me, though. I wonder who came up with it in the first place.
Posted By: gcs

Re: Do You Sacrifice For Lent? - 02/15/24 09:34 PM

We used to do meatless fridays when I was a kid, we never gave up anything else.
Haven't even thought of it since burying the old folks and firing the church.
Posted By: Posco

Re: Do You Sacrifice For Lent? - 02/15/24 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by BernieB.
I've never understood the reason for lent. Why give something up for a short period of time? If it's not bad for you, then there's no reason to give it up, and if it is bad for you, then it should be given up for good. I don't see any basis for lent in Scripture either.

Fasting yes, there is plenty of basis for that in Scripture. Lent doesn't seem logical to me, though. I wonder who came up with it in the first place.

I'm with you on this one.
Posted By: Guss

Re: Do You Sacrifice For Lent? - 02/15/24 10:39 PM

I don't need to follow a certain day. You can do it any day to God . And you can eat anything .
Posted By: PAskinner

Re: Do You Sacrifice For Lent? - 02/15/24 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by BernieB.

Isn't that what fasting is? Giving something up so you can devote more time to spiritual things?
Posted By: Guss

Re: Do You Sacrifice For Lent? - 02/15/24 11:34 PM

Catholic have alot of rules. Jesus Christ made things plain not hard.
Posted By: Turtledale

Re: Do You Sacrifice For Lent? - 02/15/24 11:35 PM

No I don't give anything up for lent. I'm Lutheran and never remember ever giving anything up in particular just for lent
I gave myself up to my Lord and Savior quite a while ago. And I believe thats good enough between Him and me
© 2024 Trapperman Forums