Home

Dermestid Beatles

Posted By: Bob Jameson

Dermestid Beatles - 02/14/24 05:47 PM

Those that have used them commercially, how large of a colony would I need to clean a bunch of skulls and how long would it take to clean them? It has been years since I have had them but only had a limited amount of them at one time.

I ran out of meat to feed my colony and decided to feed them some of our put up predator bait, both beaver and cat meat. I had lots on hand.

Not thinking about it at the time of the feeding, that the meat had been preserved with some SB and other preservatives. Long story short the treated preserved meat killed my entire colony in a week or so.

I would check on them every few days and you could see them moving in the media that they lived in. I began to take notice that I could no longer see the bedding moving so I dug thru some of it to learn all my beetles were dead.

Now I have dozens of skulls I need to clean. Mostly beaver and cat skulls.
Posted By: Gulo

Re: Dermestid Beatles - 02/14/24 07:09 PM

A small colony consisting of 3-400 adults (plus their larvae) will clean 3-4 beaver or cat skulls in 24 hours if they're warm and active. I used to do 24 bat entire skeletons overnight. Dry the skulls/skeletons first.

Jack

Re: Dermestid Beatles - 02/14/24 07:34 PM

Thank you Jack.
Posted By: dixieland

Re: Dermestid Beatles - 02/15/24 03:31 AM

So there is a market for beaver skulls?
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Dermestid Beatles - 02/15/24 03:36 AM

How easy are those beetles to take care of?
Posted By: backroadsarcher

Re: Dermestid Beatles - 02/15/24 03:36 AM

Originally Posted by dixieland

You have to find that person. I clean my skulls without beatles and have a person that gets them for Native American art
Posted By: wissmiss

Re: Dermestid Beatles - 02/15/24 03:42 AM

There is a market for all skulls - beaver, ermine, wolf, etc. the “problem” is the supply of skulls massively outweighs the demand

Plus, the market wants perfect - no broken bones, no missing teeth, no damage.
Posted By: backroadsarcher

Re: Dermestid Beatles - 02/15/24 03:45 AM

Originally Posted by wissmiss

There is a market for all skulls - beaver, ermine, wolf, etc. the “problem” is the supply of skulls massively outweighs the demand

Plus, the market wants perfect - no broken bones, no missing teeth, no damage.

You are absolutely right.
Posted By: Northof50

Re: Dermestid Beatles - 02/15/24 03:47 AM

off time some commercial salmon based dried dog food will keep them happy, check for preservatives on the label

if it is above 10*C/50*F outside wild wild dermestides will find the dried skulls ,but check for some of the predatory scarabides as they hunt the larvae
Posted By: lee steinmeyer

Re: Dermestid Beatles - 02/15/24 04:57 AM

I’ve always wanted a colony of beetles. Have had three freezers go out this past year, now might be the time. Who can you buy them from? Lots of good info fellas, thanks.
Posted By: foxhunter52

Re: Dermestid Beatles - 02/15/24 04:58 AM

There's a small high school in Pavillion Wyo. that makes thousands of dollars a year with their beetles. It's called "Bugs and Bones" They do a lot of skulls but mainly european mounts for hunters. I've had them do a half dozen over the years.
Posted By: Boco

Re: Dermestid Beatles - 02/15/24 05:11 AM

Originally Posted by Bob Jameson
Those that have used them commercially, how large of a colony would I need to clean a bunch of skulls and how long would it take to clean them? It has been years since I have had them but only had a limited amount of them at one time.

I ran out of meat to feed my colony and decided to feed them some of our put up predator bait, both beaver and cat meat. I had lots on hand.

Not thinking about it at the time of the feeding, that the meat had been preserved with some SB and other preservatives. Long story short the treated preserved meat killed my entire colony in a week or so.

I would check on them every few days and you could see them moving in the media that they lived in. I began to take notice that I could no longer see the bedding moving so I dug thru some of it to learn all my beetles were dead.

Now I have dozens of skulls I need to clean. Mostly beaver and cat skulls.

You found a new lucrative market for your stuff,Bob.
Kill dermestids,cochroaches termites and bedbugs,lol.
Posted By: beaverpeeler

Re: Dermestid Beatles - 02/15/24 06:09 AM

Hatchetjack1 on here has a beetle business. He's located in Washington state.
Posted By: KeithC

Re: Dermestid Beatles - 02/15/24 06:48 AM

Originally Posted by Northof50
off time some commercial salmon based dried dog food will keep them happy, check for preservatives on the label

if it is above 10*C/50*F outside wild wild dermestides will find the dried skulls ,but check for some of the predatory scarabides as they hunt the larvae

Years ago now, I had wild dermestid beetles show up in the litter, mostly manure, of my coturnix quail colonies. They do a fantastic job keeping the dry manure and feathers from building up. I used to have to clean the pens out several times a year. Now only once about every two years. The numbers viewable under the feed bowls, in cooler weather, are vast. They dig down and hide amazingly quick, when exposed. The birds congregate in the bowls and the beetles stay under then for the heat produced by the birds.

I took some to a friend of mine, who's a biologist at Wilmington College. She had previously bought beetles for the college. She could identify them as dermestid beetles, but could not tell me which of the around 1800 species of dermestids they were.

I like them because they save us a lot of work shoveling manure.

Keith
Posted By: RockCrick

Re: Dermestid Beatles - 02/15/24 03:14 PM

I’ve bought the starter colony of 3-400 for $50 on ebay. Keep them
at 80 degrees and fed and you’ll have thousands in a few weeks. Chest freezers work because they are insulated really well but they also will turn into an oven if the door seals. Keep them vented or add a thermostat to your heat lamp. When you need to clean out all the beetle frass, put all the meat on one side of the freezer for a week then remove the opposite half and add fresh pine chips. Then repeat the process to minimize throwing beetles away. You’ll be any some ventilation in your tank, especially in the humid summers of PA to keep the moisture down. Out here I never had that issue and gave them a few sprays of water every other day with a mister.

I preferred using a large circular horse trough for the tank with a ply wood lid that has an access door. Then I’d set it on a piece of blueboard and wrap the sides in fiberglass to make the heater more efficient. Very few elk fit into a chest freezer so it was nice to be able to just drop an elk in.

Re: Dermestid Beatles - 02/15/24 06:00 PM

Yes Boco, I now know what to use on other pests. Might become a good sideline gig for us. smile It was a costly mistake for sure. I miss them now.
Posted By: JSell

Re: Dermestid Beatles - 02/15/24 09:13 PM

Is it a concern if you kept these beetles in the same building as fur that you have put up? I've thought about trying some of these beetles but didn't want to have them get into my other stuff.
Posted By: QuietButDeadly

Re: Dermestid Beatles - 02/15/24 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by JSell
Is it a concern if you kept these beetles in the same building as fur that you have put up? I've thought about trying some of these beetles but didn't want to have them get into my other stuff.

You would definitely be running a serious risk and by the time you knew you had a problem, the damage would already be done.

They will even ruin tanned pelts or taxi mounts if they get in them.

Re: Dermestid Beatles - 02/16/24 12:41 AM

You certainly need to have proper housing containments for them. I used a large plastic packer for my last colony with a vented sealed lid. They can't climb up anything smoothe at least I never had that happen to my knowledge. Some use an old aquarium tank for containment housing old bath tubs or feed tubs etc.
Posted By: Northof50

Re: Dermestid Beatles - 02/16/24 01:11 AM

They take flight besides the crawling just be warned, as you check the chambers
anything over 50F
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Dermestid Beatles - 02/16/24 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by KeithC
Originally Posted by Northof50

Years ago now, I had wild dermestid beetles show up in the litter, mostly manure, of my coturnix quail colonies. They do a fantastic job keeping the dry manure and feathers from building up. I used to have to clean the pens out several times a year. Now only once about every two years. The numbers viewable under the feed bowls, in cooler weather, are vast. They dig down and hide amazingly quick, when exposed. The birds congregate in the bowls and the beetles stay under then for the heat produced by the birds.

I took some to a friend of mine, who's a biologist at Wilmington College. She had previously bought beetles for the college. She could identify them as dermestid beetles, but could not tell me which of the around 1800 species of dermestids they were.

I like them because they save us a lot of work shoveling manure.

Keith

Take a picture or three of them keith
© 2024 Trapperman Forums