Home

#6 shot for coyotes?

Posted By: TrapperE

#6 shot for coyotes? - 02/11/24 10:42 PM

will a 20 gauge with turkey choke with 6 shot kill coyotes?
Posted By: white marlin

Re: #6 shot for coyotes? - 02/11/24 10:44 PM

the first coyote I ever caught had a few #6's under her hide. of course, I have no way of knowing what gauge shotgun, or how far away it was when she got hit.

but it certainly didn't hurt her all that bad...she was quite healthy when I got her.
Posted By: DWC

Re: #6 shot for coyotes? - 02/11/24 10:48 PM

Of course, if ur close enough. Outside 20 yards, Id say nope
Posted By: Boco

Re: #6 shot for coyotes? - 02/11/24 11:02 PM

Too light
Posted By: backroadsarcher

Re: #6 shot for coyotes? - 02/11/24 11:03 PM

I would probably go with 2 shot or bigger.
Posted By: nate

Re: #6 shot for coyotes? - 02/11/24 11:04 PM

I shot one at 20 yards or so I'm the face with 5 shot 10 gauge and never found him , I've shot dozens with copper plated BBs 10 gauge, from 15 to 50 yards and never lost any , so I'm going to say maybe but I would not use it.
Posted By: warrior

Re: #6 shot for coyotes? - 02/11/24 11:05 PM

Inside 20 yards, maybe. Big maybe.

You really should be using #4 buckshot.
Posted By: Wanna Be

Re: #6 shot for coyotes? - 02/11/24 11:07 PM

Depends, is it TSS? I know #9 at 40yds will drop them on the spot out of a 20ga.
Posted By: matt

Re: #6 shot for coyotes? - 02/12/24 12:01 AM

If it’s close enough it will. But you will be smelling his breath. Like others have said, lots better loads for it. If you don’t mind the price, Apex as loads that will do what your asking. I shoot the Apex #4 tss in a 20 ga. It’s an 1 1/2 load. I don’t know how far it will kill one, but 50 yards is not a problem. With several pellets passing through and bones broken.
Posted By: Wanna Be

Re: #6 shot for coyotes? - 02/12/24 12:09 AM

Originally Posted by matt
If it’s close enough it will. But you will be smelling his breath. Like others have said, lots better loads for it. If you don’t mind the price, Apex as loads that will do what your asking. I shoot the Apex #4 tss in a 20 ga. It’s an 1 1/2 load. I don’t know how far it will kill one, but 50 yards is not a problem. With several pellets passing through and bones broken.

Haha, I shoot Apex for turkey and didn’t realize they had loads like that. I’ve seen what #9 does to a coyote and hog, can’t imagine #4’s, lol. There’s dead, then there’s Apex dead.
Posted By: matt

Re: #6 shot for coyotes? - 02/12/24 12:38 AM

They have it in #4, #2 in 20 ga. In 12 they have #4, 2, BB, and T. I just looked at mine, it’s an 1 1/4, not 1 1/2. It’s under their predator line.
Posted By: tomahawker

Re: #6 shot for coyotes? - 02/12/24 12:52 AM

I shoot #5’s….at pheasants.
Posted By: jabNE

Re: #6 shot for coyotes? - 02/12/24 01:01 AM

Skinned a lot of trapped coyotes with birdshot just under the skin and some not penetrating. Didn’t seem to hurt them very badly.6 would be ok for pheasants and quail but pretty small and light for coyotes unless you were very close on the shot.
Jim
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: #6 shot for coyotes? - 02/12/24 01:12 AM

Originally Posted by TrapperE
will a 20 gauge with turkey choke with 6 shot kill coyotes?

if your close enough and it gets no medical attention , yes

if you get a one shot kill on a coyote with #6 I think it is justified self defense it was that close

think about the last squirrel you shot with #6 did you find shot in it or was it 100% pass through I had to pick shot out.
Posted By: randall brannon

Re: #6 shot for coyotes? - 02/12/24 01:26 AM

I would probably want to get close enough to ride it with 6 shot
Posted By: bucksnbears

Re: #6 shot for coyotes? - 02/12/24 02:14 AM

30 yards or less, better put the pellets in the head.
Posted By: Providence Farm

Re: #6 shot for coyotes? - 02/12/24 03:24 AM

Originally Posted by jabNE
Skinned a lot of trapped coyotes with birdshot just under the skin and some not penetrating. Didn’t seem to hurt them very badly.6 would be ok for pheasants and quail but pretty small and light for coyotes unless you were very close on the shot.
Jim

One of the doubles my son had I found a piece of 6 shot under the skin. It never made it into the muscle and had been there long enough to completely have healed up no visible hole in the hide
Posted By: Paul D. Heppner

Re: #6 shot for coyotes? - 02/12/24 04:11 AM

Last one I shot was 9 or 10 yards, 1 ounce of 6's out of a 20ga. I was pheasant hunting over a setter. Shot with a skeet choke. Rolled it real good. My buddies setter didn't know WHAT was going on. She definitely didn't want anything to do with it after she flash pointed it. It was moving like its butt was on fire.
Posted By: Scott__aR

Re: #6 shot for coyotes? - 02/12/24 05:17 AM

I use 20 ga, #3 non-plated buck (20 pellets) @ 1200 fps through an improved modified choke ... good to 30- 35 yards.

But your shotgun will most likely be different. In general, you can fire small dia buck (#2,#3,#4) through modified to extra full chocks without issue. Soft lead shot will prefer more open chokes, hard plated buck shot will perform with tight chokes. You will have to pattern your shotgun and chock combination with your choice of buck shot to determine which combination patterns best and at what max range.
Posted By: 30-06 Trapper

Re: #6 shot for coyotes? - 02/13/24 04:27 PM

#6 is to small for coyotes use buck shot or #2
© 2024 Trapperman Forums