Home

Nutria as bait?

Posted By: Rustychains

Nutria as bait? - 02/11/24 09:40 PM

Maybe better posted in lure/ bait section of the forum. But I figured more might see it here… Does anybody use nutria meat or carcasses for bait? I don’t seem to have any problem catching them and I’ve been thinking about it. Had one in a water set (220) a couple of weeks ago and all that was left was the top of the skull and a shredded hide( I still am wondering if mink, otters or maybe a coyote did that?) but am I also thinking about putting some in a cubby set or a dirt hole. What about it? Anybody regularly use them for bait?

Thanks for your input!
Posted By: Jtrapper

Re: Nutria as bait? - 02/12/24 12:31 AM

I tried it for bait multiple times, was the sorriest bait i ever used so gave it up.
Posted By: Boco

Re: Nutria as bait? - 02/12/24 02:32 AM

Originally Posted by Jtrapper
I tried it for bait multiple times, was the sorriest bait i ever used so I ate it up.
Posted By: Leary Sink

Re: Nutria as bait? - 02/12/24 02:52 AM

Works on bobcats, coyotes, bear, raccoons fox, every thing here will eat nutria as quick as they will beaver, They were feeding the red wolves on the Alligator refuge nutria for a while there when they started the red wolf recovery program
Posted By: beaverpeeler

Re: Nutria as bait? - 02/12/24 04:08 AM

I one time had a nutria in a conibear hauled up on top of a dike as far as the cable would allow and partially eaten and then covered up by a bobcat.

I regularly put them out with my beaver carcasses for bobcats and they get claimed and covered by bobcats nearly as much as the beaver do. So I say yeah, they do work.

Re: Nutria as bait? - 02/12/24 11:11 AM

Yep, bobcats fishing them out of the water here is why i decided to use them for bait.
Posted By: kytrapper

Re: Nutria as bait? - 02/12/24 12:16 PM

One southern lure maker sells a nutria based bobcat bait.

Re: Nutria as bait? - 02/12/24 12:41 PM

No doubt can use it as a 'base' and put enough other stuff in it to make it work, i was just using it solo by itself.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums