Home

rough week @ the lumber yard

Posted By: dave erdkamp 56

rough week @ the lumber yard - 02/11/24 12:26 PM

i been working @ the family lumber yard seince 1980.monday the week of the 3rd cut the bands on a unit of lumber the lumber had been improply stacked.the lumber fell oon my foot.it black and blued my foot prety good.saturday i was useing one of the saws im now minus my left thumb.i got pictures but i wont share them.too graphic might get someone sick.i got 1 more week before i can return to work..i should have inspected the unit of lumber.the saw was a pure accident.day time tv will get you over anything
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: rough week @ the lumber yard - 02/11/24 12:32 PM

Wow Rough week...I'd say

they could'nt re attach your Thumb???
Posted By: Leftlane

Re: rough week @ the lumber yard - 02/11/24 12:38 PM

Ouch! Just because you've done something for a long time, doesn't mean you're immune to the dangers. Every once in a while, some worn out grainy shingle on a steep roof slope reminds me of that.
Posted By: dave erdkamp 56

Re: rough week @ the lumber yard - 02/11/24 12:53 PM

doctor said no reatachment.over achiver i guess
Posted By: jbyrd63

Re: rough week @ the lumber yard - 02/11/24 01:05 PM

Wish you had been closer to Ky. Klienard and kuntz puts digits back on like putting stitches in flesh wound. I cut my right thumb off in 2007 the local ER dr just tossed it in the trash can. Went to see them the next day and the little Italian woman was (This word is unacceptable on Trapperman). She said if they had sent me on to Lexington she could have put it back on.
Oh yes forget to mention the reattached an entire hand !!! Tell you the one thing you will miss is the thumb nail. You don’t realize how much you use it. Even simple task. Picking up coins. Opening zip lock bags ( not slider ones) . Had to retrain myself to do most things left handed. Oh yes I was running video cable on a job Try hooking up coaxial without a thumb !
Posted By: Gary Benson

Re: rough week @ the lumber yard - 02/11/24 01:38 PM

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Nessmuck

Re: rough week @ the lumber yard - 02/11/24 04:29 PM

I'd lose a fingah ovah a thumb any day
Posted By: Leary Sink

Re: rough week @ the lumber yard - 02/12/24 03:27 AM

Dave hope you get healed up quick without any problems
Posted By: Michigander

Re: rough week @ the lumber yard - 02/12/24 03:50 AM

Wow that is a rough stretch. Hope the blade was sharp at least!
Posted By: KeithC

Re: rough week @ the lumber yard - 02/12/24 04:13 AM

Since you use your hands a lot, you may want to look into having your left thumb replaced with your left big toe. That surgery is done fairly frequently, with excellent results. I worked with a guy doing concrete work, who had it done.

Keith
Posted By: Boco

Re: rough week @ the lumber yard - 02/12/24 04:44 AM

I bet it would be "handy" to have thumbs on your feet like a monkey.
Posted By: Trapper Dahlgren

Re: rough week @ the lumber yard - 02/12/24 10:10 AM

dang man hope you heal fast.
Posted By: snowy

Re: rough week @ the lumber yard - 02/12/24 12:57 PM

A very tough week!! Wow! I have one finger partial missing and another that was attached. Mine came from accident when I was two years old. I'm very thankful the small-town country Doc reattached my one finger. I sometime think about it because the very rural area and Doc didn't have much to work with but mine turned out great.

I wish you the very best and a rapid recovery.

I know of a good half dozen people missing figures.

Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: rough week @ the lumber yard - 02/12/24 01:53 PM

if you took it clear off you might be better without it

my dad took his middle finger 2/3 of the way off with the table saw at the joint. he said take it the rest of the way off , the Doc said I am a great hand surgeon I can save it

22 years later he would say I should have just insisted it come off 22 years of banging it on everything , a fixed joint finger just gets in the way and hurts

it only takes a second of distraction for accidents to happen.
Posted By: mfergu8

Re: rough week @ the lumber yard - 02/12/24 02:02 PM

Sorry to hear about both of your mishaps. Hope you heal up quickly.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums