Home

Sleepy creek?

Posted By: That.darn.coon

Sleepy creek? - 02/07/24 03:56 AM

Will sleepy creek be coming back into business any time soon?
Posted By: Bear Tracker

Re: Sleepy creek? - 02/07/24 04:40 AM

Posted By: randall brannon

Re: Sleepy creek? - 02/07/24 04:48 AM

The WV Sleepy Creeks were sold. Where are they out of now? I heard Georgia. Anyone have their contact info?
Posted By: coyote 1

Re: Sleepy creek? - 02/07/24 04:50 AM

Southern snares bought sleepy creek traps. The traps are listed on their website but I'm don't know if they are in production or not.
Posted By: warrior

Re: Sleepy creek? - 02/07/24 05:20 AM

Cost of steel is the hold up.
Posted By: white marlin

Re: Sleepy creek? - 02/07/24 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by warrior
Cost of steel is the hold up.

I'd guess the cost of steel is NOT coming down anytime soon...

Re: Sleepy creek? - 02/07/24 01:03 PM

I would have thought that in WV so closeto the steel mills it would have been cheaper.
Posted By: Swamp Wolf

Re: Sleepy creek? - 02/07/24 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by randall brannon
I would have thought that in WV so closeto the steel mills it would have been cheaper.

SC is in southern GA now.
Posted By: Murphy

Re: Sleepy creek? - 02/07/24 03:38 PM

I bought sleepy creek No 4 DLS from this guy last week. Perfect for my Pennsylvania game commission restricted sized beaver trapping needs. He has both offset and regular jaws.

https://www.riverratstrappingsupplies.com/product/sleepy-creek-long-spring-4-os/
Posted By: KYBOY

Re: Sleepy creek? - 02/07/24 03:39 PM

Steel has went up considerably the last few years... Sheets of plate that we payed $100 for a few years ago are now $200.. Expanded metal that was $40-$50 a sheet is not $120. Steel prices have went up by 100% or more in many cases...
Posted By: HayDay

Re: Sleepy creek? - 02/07/24 03:41 PM

What SC traps is everyone looking for? I have some SC #11's and Duke #11's and seems to me the difference is like old school Craftsman or maybe even Snap On tools vs. modern Craftsman or Harbor Freight crapola. The SC would be the way to go.......if only they were available.
Posted By: mad_mike

Re: Sleepy creek? - 02/07/24 04:03 PM

They have not been produced, in the larger sizes, for a number of years now. I am still seeking a small quantity of the 4.5’s.
Posted By: run

Re: Sleepy creek? - 02/07/24 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by That.darn.coon
Will sleepy creek be coming back into business any time soon?

I doubt it. But I do like the old sleepy creek traps. The price of steel is ridiculous so they're not going to make much money for a long time. Price of fur is a bit depressing as well.
Posted By: The hammer

Re: Sleepy creek? - 02/07/24 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by KYBOY
Steel has went up considerably the last few years... Sheets of plate that we payed $100 for a few years ago are now $200.. Expanded metal that was $40-$50 a sheet is not $120. Steel prices have went up by 100% or more in many cases...

Agreed! Steel is very high specifically for the good stuff. Not to mention if your not close to a supplier the shipping on a sheet of steel can cost as much or more then the sheet itself.
Posted By: Providence Farm

Re: Sleepy creek? - 02/07/24 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by HayDay
What SC traps is everyone looking for? I have some SC #11's and Duke #11's and seems to me the difference is like old school Craftsman or maybe even Snap On tools vs. modern Craftsman or Harbor Freight crapola. The SC would be the way to go.......if only they were available.

I want to try some for coyote and beaver not a bunch maybe 6 to a dozen each. So #2 & #5 ? Not sure if long springs are different than coils. But reading hear they don't freeze down and bed solid has caught my attention. I like high quality tools and since trapping is not a money making thing for me and never will be I'm not running #s on cost vs income on traps . I'm more of a hig quality= less time messing with them and less frustration =win.
Posted By: mad_mike

Re: Sleepy creek? - 02/07/24 04:39 PM

I need some more 4.5’s that I can let set for the ocean to cover 2x daily and not care much about them. Easier to throw a chunk of steel out into a known destructive environment at $30 price point, knowing that they will last 4-5 seasons at best. They are the right tool for the job and I am looking to fill that need in my trap line up.
Posted By: Donnersurvivor

Re: Sleepy creek? - 02/07/24 04:56 PM

I feel like the problem is everyone wants some SC traps but there wont be continued demand if they can't keep the prices down. I know I want $300 worth of them but then I'm probably going to be satisifed for years. I don't know what the logistics would look like If they set up and produce some to fill the initial demand but demand doesn't continue. There's already barns full of old traps, sale sites full of old traps, I sure do want some SC long springs but realistically I dont NEED them and I probably wouldn't make many repeat orders. Especially with fur prices in the garbage.
Posted By: PSPH17

Re: Sleepy creek? - 02/07/24 05:04 PM

I think I bought the last of the number 3 longsprings when southern snares purchased SC. It was some NOS that Brian had. I would like another dz or two if they ever come back into production.

Re: Sleepy creek? - 02/07/24 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by Swamp Wolf
Originally Posted by randall brannon

SC is in southern GA now.

I know but I was just making the point that if SC could not make it next to a steelMill then the price is going to be out of site especially with President Dementias attacks on Fuel/shipping.
Posted By: Turtledale

Re: Sleepy creek? - 02/07/24 06:00 PM

Steel prices may never come down. This may be it. I really wonder if sleepy creeks, Victors, bmis will ever be made again.

Originally Posted by Donnersurvivor
I feel like the problem is everyone wants some SC traps but there wont be continued demand if they can't keep the prices down. I know I want $300 worth of them but then I'm probably going to be satisifed for years. I don't know what the logistics would look like If they set up and produce some to fill the initial demand but demand doesn't continue. There's already barns full of old traps, sale sites full of old traps, I sure do want some SC long springs but realistically I dont NEED them and I probably wouldn't make many repeat orders. Especially with fur prices in the garbage.

Maybe you could share some of these "sites full of old traps" for everyone. Seems to be a pretty high demand on this site. Thank you
Posted By: Seth Doty

Re: Sleepy creek? - 02/07/24 06:21 PM

I think longspring fans might have better luck lobbying Duke or Bridger to update their longspring line & make a higher quality trap at a higher price point than their "standard" longsprings. It doesn't seem like it would take much to incorporate some of the improvements that we have seen in coil springs and put them in longsprings. Wide cast jaws, better pans & dogs, & or dogless versions. They wouldn't be made in the USA, but it's very difficult to do that and keep prices remotely competitive. They could still be good traps.
Posted By: ~ADC~

Re: Sleepy creek? - 02/07/24 06:42 PM

If they were as popular as people let on they would still be in production today. I'm not saying they aren't good traps but they must not of sold really well or they would of been making plenty of money to keep producing them. Other trap manufactures are still in production.
Posted By: frank1969

Re: Sleepy creek? - 02/07/24 06:55 PM

They are as good as ppl say, it's the problem of sourcing usa steel. The traps are tanks i use them over any mb550. My second choice is mbs, I have 1.5 dz #3 with 2 coils I use now for yotesand 6 dedicated to beaver. Then 2 dz 1.5 coils. And a dz each in the box new old stock. So yes I'd buy more
Posted By: River Birch

Re: Sleepy creek? - 02/07/24 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by Seth Doty
I think longspring fans might have better luck lobbying Duke or Bridger to update their longspring line & make a higher quality trap at a higher price point than their "standard" longsprings. It doesn't seem like it would take much to incorporate some of the improvements that we have seen in coil springs and put them in longsprings. Wide cast jaws, better pans & dogs, & or dogless versions. They wouldn't be made in the USA, but it's very difficult to do that and keep prices remotely competitive. They could still be good traps.

Spot on!
Posted By: bleeohio

Re: Sleepy creek? - 02/07/24 08:47 PM

I picked up a couple of SC #3 dbl coils at the lima coonchase last year. Wish the guy would have had more, i like them and the price was insane.
Posted By: KYBOY

Re: Sleepy creek? - 02/07/24 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by The hammer
Originally Posted by KYBOY

Agreed! Steel is very high specifically for the good stuff. Not to mention if your not close to a supplier the shipping on a sheet of steel can cost as much or more then the sheet itself.

Yea, whenever I buy stuff like 4140,h13 and so on I comb ebay for deals.. A lot of places have minimum orders now.. I use to order 1" x 2" square bar 1060 from a place in Mi.. Now the shipping is as much as one piece of the steel.. Its insane now
Posted By: Larry Baer

Re: Sleepy creek? - 02/07/24 09:51 PM

On the Southern Snare website it lists Sleepy Creek traps. Some are in stock. I sent them a message asking if they really have them.
Posted By: warrior

Re: Sleepy creek? - 02/07/24 10:10 PM

JMO, but I think it's missing a bet to not at least try to scrounge up enough steel to do a limited run of what is in most demand and try to sell it at a premium. It might just garner enough capital to get a few things into production.

But I'm not a numbers guy and maybe there's just not enough demand out there to make it work.
Posted By: DanN

Re: Sleepy creek? - 02/07/24 11:49 PM

Originally Posted by ~ADC~
If they were as popular as people let on they would still be in production today. I'm not saying they aren't good traps but they must not of sold really well or they would of been making plenty of money to keep producing them. Other trap manufactures are still in production.

What other trap manufacturers in the U.S are still making traps ? All that was left was Sleepy creek, BMI, and Oneida Victor. There is Minnesota brand , but I I heard some of the parts for their traps are foreign made and assembled here.
Posted By: lee steinmeyer

Re: Sleepy creek? - 02/07/24 11:49 PM

If Brian hasn’t built any traps since he bought sleepy creek, I’d worry a bit about long springs. Pete Askin used to tell me the troubles that Woodstream had with getting the temper right on the springs. Oven temps have to be precise and the quenching the same. Anyone can build coilsprings, but longs are a different critter to work with. JFYI!
Posted By: QuietButDeadly

Re: Sleepy creek? - 02/08/24 12:03 AM

Originally Posted by DanN

What other trap manufacturers in the U.S are still making traps ? All that was left was Sleepy creek, BMI, and Oneida Victor. There is Minnesota brand , but I I heard some of the parts for their traps are foreign made and assembled here.

I believe the entire line of NO BS Traps are USA made.
Posted By: Donnersurvivor

Re: Sleepy creek? - 02/08/24 12:08 AM

Originally Posted by Turtledale
Steel prices may never come down. This may be it. I really wonder if sleepy creeks, Victors, bmis will ever be made again.

Originally Posted by Donnersurvivor

Maybe you could share some of these "sites full of old traps" for everyone. Seems to be a pretty high demand on this site. Thank you

Check any local auction places, Facebook marketplace or Craigslist.
Posted By: Beaver Reliever7

Re: Sleepy creek? - 02/08/24 12:27 AM

I spoke to them at southern snares little over a week ago. They called me back after I emailed them. THEY SAID STEEL PRICES WERE THE PROBLEM AT THIS TIME. Didn't mean to capitolize that statement LOL Hit the shift button by mistake.

If you get ahold of them or they you, they will put your name on a list and what size traps your looking for. It was about a week before a very nice lady there called me back, but she had zero information as to WHEN any production would start. But she did state that there was a huge demand for the long springs so they are taking names.
Posted By: ~ADC~

Re: Sleepy creek? - 02/08/24 12:50 AM

Originally Posted by DanN

I don't believe I said anything about made in the USA.
Posted By: Crappiekiller

Re: Sleepy creek? - 02/08/24 02:32 AM

I could be wrong. But I think the NOBS dog proof may be made overseas.
Posted By: Turtledale

Re: Sleepy creek? - 02/08/24 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by Larry Baer
On the Southern Snare website it lists Sleepy Creek traps. Some are in stock. I sent them a message asking if they really have them.

On their site only #1's available. All else it says is out of stock
© 2024 Trapperman Forums