Home

Wyoming Jackrabbits

Posted By: marsh jet

Wyoming Jackrabbits - 02/04/24 09:07 PM

I was told there are a ton of jackrabbits in Wyoming- is this true?
Posted By: Giant Sage

Re: Wyoming Jackrabbits - 02/04/24 10:01 PM

We have a good population right now.
Posted By: beaverpeeler

Re: Wyoming Jackrabbits - 02/04/24 10:04 PM

From what I've seen of the great basin states is you can have a great population in one valley go over a little mountain range and with equally good habitat there's nothing, or next to. All depends on the year and at what point a population is at.
Posted By: foxhunter52

Re: Wyoming Jackrabbits - 02/04/24 10:10 PM

Where bouts in Wyo? I'd make a trip over if wasn't too far. Wasn't hardly any north of Farson a year ago.

Re: Wyoming Jackrabbits - 02/05/24 12:22 AM

I'll pm you foxhunter
Posted By: bucksnbears

Re: Wyoming Jackrabbits - 02/05/24 01:39 AM

Don't know about WY but in Mn 70/80's, you could see 100s a day. Now, we gotta look HARD to see ONE.
fun to shoot at.
Posted By: Squirt

Re: Wyoming Jackrabbits - 02/05/24 02:22 AM

Been seeing plenty north of Riverton to the base of the Owl Creek mountains and Shoshoni south to Jeffrey City

Re: Wyoming Jackrabbits - 02/05/24 03:35 AM

Originally Posted by Squirt
Been seeing plenty north of Riverton to the base of the Owl Creek mountains and Shoshoni south to Jeffrey City

This is the same area I've been seeing and catching plenty of Jack's.
Posted By: Chancey

Re: Wyoming Jackrabbits - 02/05/24 04:07 AM

Jack rabbits are the funnest things to shoot in the world spotlighting at night with .22 caliber ammo and such. My buddy used to clean them and grind them into hamburger meat. It tasted OK.
Posted By: MJM

Re: Wyoming Jackrabbits - 02/05/24 04:13 AM

We shot them when they were white and the snow was gone. It made them easy to spot. I had half a dozen coming into the yard last winter and have not seen a track of one this winter. From what I have seen they peak and disappear.

Re: Wyoming Jackrabbits - 02/05/24 04:18 AM

Originally Posted by MJM
We shot them when they were white and the snow was gone. It made them easy to spot. I had half a dozen coming into the yard last winter and have not seen a track of one this winter. From what I have seen they peak and disappear.

This is what I see also.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Wyoming Jackrabbits - 02/05/24 04:25 AM

Shot A lot of them in Wyoming as a Kid

Re: Wyoming Jackrabbits - 02/05/24 04:25 AM

Originally Posted by MJM

MJM, the jackrabbits turn white up there? I never knew that.

Re: Wyoming Jackrabbits - 02/05/24 04:34 AM

Originally Posted by Chancey
Originally Posted by MJM

In Iowa also

Re: Wyoming Jackrabbits - 02/05/24 04:37 AM

The first hide I tanned was an Iowa jackrabbit the tanning solution was red and I ended up with a pink fur.

Re: Wyoming Jackrabbits - 02/05/24 04:43 AM

HA!
The first hide I ever pinned and salted was a cottontail. Caught him in a #2 longspring on a trail they were using coming from the woods to the garden. I had big plans thinking it would be a coyote. Hung that hide on my bedroom wall. I was proud of my first catch. Blind set.

Re: Wyoming Jackrabbits - 02/05/24 04:58 AM

Originally Posted by Chancey

We have white tailed jack rabbits and hey turn white in the winter. They have black tips on their ears and some tan/brown hair mixed on their backs, but look white at a distance.

Re: Wyoming Jackrabbits - 02/05/24 12:26 PM

Learn something everyday. I never even knew there was a such thing as white-tailed jackrabbits. Cool critters.
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: Wyoming Jackrabbits - 02/05/24 12:50 PM

My grandma would bone them out grind it, add pork fat, and make sausage. Its pretty good like that
Posted By: Osky

Re: Wyoming Jackrabbits - 02/05/24 01:01 PM

There were a lot of areas in eastern Montana that had more than enough jacks 50 years ago, and now those same areas the folks tell me they haven’t seen any in many years.
These are primarily range and grazing areas, still have bunnies, so I do not think ag spraying or soil disruption is much to blame.
I too miss shooting at them.

Osky
Posted By: E.J. Kelley

Re: Wyoming Jackrabbits - 02/05/24 01:04 PM

We have some here but I wouldnt consider it to be good or high numbers of them.

Re: Wyoming Jackrabbits - 02/05/24 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by danny clifton
My grandma would bone them out grind it, add pork fat, and make sausage. Its pretty good like that

That's interesting danny.
My dad told me stories of the big jackrabbit drives they would do when he was a kid.
Grandma would make sausage from the rabbits and pork fat from there hogs they'd butchered.
She came from an anabaptist community north of Salina ks. Ada ks.
Posted By: Diggerman

Re: Wyoming Jackrabbits - 02/05/24 01:58 PM

We had them in SW Wisconsin in the 1970's, none since.
Posted By: wadask

Re: Wyoming Jackrabbits - 02/05/24 03:02 PM

Thier was a lot along 287 last yr would some everyday driving to work, but the winter kill was awful and hardly seen any this summer when building a transmission land. Seen one Sunday night coming home from ice fishing just north of medicinebow Wy
Posted By: LAtrapper

Re: Wyoming Jackrabbits - 02/05/24 03:10 PM

Posted By: wytex

Re: Wyoming Jackrabbits - 02/05/24 04:18 PM

They yard up around here in Winter, really odd to see hundreds together in one field.
We still have good numbers around Laramie and to our North.
We pick up roadkill or take a few and skin the faces out for trapping bait/lure in cubby sets. Tack them up and let them dry out, add googly eyes and great for catching bobcats in cubby sets.
Posted By: beaverpeeler

Re: Wyoming Jackrabbits - 02/05/24 04:23 PM

Great idea wytex!
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: Wyoming Jackrabbits - 02/05/24 04:29 PM

are the ones that turn white really snowshoe hare?

or do all north American hare turn white if cold enough / day short enough

I shot 2 snowshoe this year in Clark county white on brown leaves I thought the first one was a large puff ball and that it was weird to have those so late early January so I went to look closer then it moved as I got closer and I could see it was a snowshoe hare

Re: Wyoming Jackrabbits - 02/05/24 04:43 PM

A snowshoe hare is only about half the size of a white-tailed jack. We have a few snowshoe hare here too. I don't think their areas overlap much. The snowshoe lives in the trees and brush. The white-tailed jack rabbit lives in the prairie / grasslands. I am pretty sure the antelope and black-tailed jack do not turn white.
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: Wyoming Jackrabbits - 02/05/24 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by MJM
A snowshoe hare is only about half the size of a white-tailed jack. We have a few snowshoe hare here too. I don't think their areas overlap much. The snowshoe lives in the trees and brush. The white-tailed jack rabbit lives in the prairie / grasslands. I am pretty sure the antelope and black-tailed jack do not turn white.

thanks
these were bigger than our cotton tail but not huge
definitely in the woods , went looking for grouse and came home with hare
[Linked Image]

Re: Wyoming Jackrabbits - 02/05/24 06:04 PM

Whitetail Jack = Two feet long, including the three-to four inch "stub" tail. Weight: 6 to 10 pounds. Color: In summer, the jackrabbit is brown gray, with a white belly, feet, and tail. In winter, the fur changes to white, with somewhat darker ears.
Snowshoe hares are somewhat larger than cottontail rabbits. They average around 18 to 20 inches (. 5 m) in total length and weigh 3 to 4 pounds (1.4–1.8 kg).
Posted By: Coyote Clayton

Re: Wyoming Jackrabbits - 02/05/24 07:42 PM

There were a lot more jack rabbits in western Kansas compared to North-central Wyoming.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums