Home

Another person wanting to buy Trapperman

Posted By: Paul Dobbins

Another person wanting to buy Trapperman - 02/04/24 02:21 PM

Just out of curiosity, I asked what something like this is worth. This was the reply.

"A forum's value comes from a combination of page views, revenue, and monthly post count, usually going back 24-36 months. Now, I might be stepping out on a limb here, because I'm not sure what your revenue looks like, but I'm guessing we might be talking about something in the range of $30,000 to $60,000. How does that range sound for continuing our discussion?"
Posted By: Providence Farm

Re: Another person wanting to buy Trapperman - 02/04/24 02:24 PM

Seams pretty low to me. I need to post more.
Posted By: Yes sir

Re: Another person wanting to buy Trapperman - 02/04/24 02:28 PM

I would have assumed a lot more than that but maybe they know James is a member here.

Couldn't help myself James grin
Posted By: Kre

Re: Another person wanting to buy Trapperman - 02/04/24 02:34 PM

Don't sell it outright.

Take a piece of the action going forward.
Posted By: Eagleye

Re: Another person wanting to buy Trapperman - 02/04/24 02:37 PM

If I were selling it and/or buying it- I’d look at a 12-month net profit average for valuation and then times that by a multiple. For Trapperman a rule-of-thumb multiple will range between probably around 10-15x. Just a quick Kentucky Windage calculation to see if it's worth progressing the conversation.
Posted By: TurkeyTime

Re: Another person wanting to buy Trapperman - 02/04/24 02:40 PM

When you are 2-3 years out from retirement let us know and we can really ramp it up with views and posts.
Posted By: HayDay

Re: Another person wanting to buy Trapperman - 02/04/24 02:43 PM

Profit? What profit? There are so few ads on t-man you can actually navigate and see the posts without having to wade thru the clutter. I have quit forums cause i got tired of wading thru all the manure to find the content. The content wasn't worth the effort to find it.
Posted By: SNIPERBBB

Re: Another person wanting to buy Trapperman - 02/04/24 03:13 PM

look at one site evaluator that says teh site can generate about 3k in ad revenue per month based on 3 year old numbers
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: Another person wanting to buy Trapperman - 02/04/24 03:19 PM

I would rather start sending you a check each year than have you sell it.

I am involved with another forum than was privately owned , then sold I don't blame the guy who sold it he is a bit of a globe trotter. then it went from media company to media company it landed with one

every time is an upheaval of membership and loss of people

it sucks the soul out of a forum.

basically their formula is buy everything on a subject matter , pile on the adds , want fewer adds charge annually , then spend as little time monitoring it and administrating it as possible.
Posted By: Badger23

Re: Another person wanting to buy Trapperman - 02/04/24 03:22 PM

I'm not a big poster here but I'm on here multiple times a day. That amount seems low. I'd be worried about the intent of the buyer. I hope this site keeps on the way it is. If not I don't know what I'd be looking at when I'm on the internet. I'm being serious Trapperman is over 50% of my time on the internet. Thank you for having this forum.
Posted By: backroadsarcher

Re: Another person wanting to buy Trapperman - 02/04/24 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by Badger23
I'm not a big poster here but I'm on here multiple times a day. That amount seems low. I'd be worried about the intent of the buyer. I hope this site keeps on the way it is. If not I don't know what I'd be looking at when I'm on the internet. I'm being serious Trapperman is over 50% of my time on the internet. Thank you for having this forum.

This right here for sure.

Re: Another person wanting to buy Trapperman - 02/04/24 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by backroadsarcher
Originally Posted by Badger23

This right here for sure.

I'm probably at over 80% of my internet time on here
Posted By: Osky

Re: Another person wanting to buy Trapperman - 02/04/24 03:38 PM

I think it’s worth what makes you happy Paul. 1 dollar or 1 million dollars it’s your baby and yours to do with what you want.
If and when you’re of a mind to go that direction I hope you get what you want.

Osky
Posted By: Posco

Re: Another person wanting to buy Trapperman - 02/04/24 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by GREENCOUNTYPETE
I would rather start sending you a check each year than have you sell it.

Same here.
Posted By: Bob Jameson

Re: Another person wanting to buy Trapperman - 02/04/24 03:50 PM

Just my 2 cents.

If you would sell, I hope you would consider the character and intent of the individual. Get an audit of this individual(s) for the last 5 years as to his activity, investments and political history.

Not just someone to buy and flip it to some liberal to shut the site down or shut us down as to what we say and discuss. That is what is happening in this country now. It is all about control of the narrative. We are one of the few sites left that has no controls basically.

If you plan to sell and are in that mind set, we can talk also. I wouldn't buy it for profit, only to maintain its spirit and the original intent. Then when my days are about over, hopefully we can have another like-minded individual or group with the same standards and values at heart to pick up from there, etc.
Posted By: Reaperman

Re: Another person wanting to buy Trapperman - 02/04/24 03:51 PM

A websites worth is only as much as its future plans hold. If someone wants to take over and make a bunch of changes and get politically correct. Then looses participation and the members flee, it would be worthless. But if someone who shares the same interests and values leaves things be and makes themselves visible, the membership would remain strong. There is a formula for small business evaluation of around 2.3% X earnings, as always, variables exist.
Posted By: Giant Sage

Re: Another person wanting to buy Trapperman - 02/04/24 03:53 PM

Paul have you considered offering up trapperman to the trappers and creating a constitution and a governance that would help keep the integrity of the forum.
Posted By: mike mason

Re: Another person wanting to buy Trapperman - 02/04/24 03:58 PM

Let the Trapperman members buy it.EOC of Trapperman,set a share price with CPA/auditor.
Posted By: trapdye

Re: Another person wanting to buy Trapperman - 02/04/24 04:00 PM

Buying or selling, It's worth is entirely up to you, I would have though the offer was low for this forum. Myself, It's the only one I am on, got tired of all the bs on other forums. If it was sold, I think it would get just the same the others, not worth a s#!t.
Posted By: insanelupus

Re: Another person wanting to buy Trapperman - 02/04/24 04:05 PM

Eagleye, for my own edification, is there a reason you would go to 10x-15x net yearly profit? I've always heard 4x-5x yearly net profit for a small business, and I'm curious if the higher valuation is based on the fact it's an internet site, or if there is other reasoning. Thank you.
Posted By: waggler

Re: Another person wanting to buy Trapperman - 02/04/24 04:12 PM

In the past week or so, there was a thread on here asking our age. Based on the results of that poll, if representative, there won't be many left on here in a decade or so. The problem is we are competing with other social media platforms that don't require reading, writing, or any other thought that requires more than about 5 seconds of the viewers short attention span.

Take some time to observe a Gen X or Z's viewing habits. Non-stop scrolling through Instagram, Twitter, Snapchat, etc.. They rarely pause on a particular post for more than a couple of seconds. It's sort of depressing seeing where people are headed.

Based on the above, I doubt that this Forum is of considerable monetary value. Sorry, but maybe that's a good thing.

Posted By: Boco

Re: Another person wanting to buy Trapperman - 02/04/24 04:20 PM

Sell it and then start a new one-we will all come over there.
Posted By: randall brannon

Re: Another person wanting to buy Trapperman - 02/04/24 04:33 PM

Mostof my internet time is on Trapperman. I would pay a yearly fee rather than see you sell it..
Posted By: yotetrapper30

Re: Another person wanting to buy Trapperman - 02/04/24 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by waggler
In the past week or so, there was a thread on here asking our age. Based on the results of that poll, if representative, there won't be many left on here in a decade or so. The problem is we are competing with other social media platforms that don't require reading, writing, or any other thought that requires more than about 5 seconds of the viewers short attention span.

Take some time to observe a Gen X or Z's viewing habits. Non-stop scrolling through Instagram, Twitter, Snapchat, etc.. They rarely pause on a particular post for more than a couple of seconds. It's sort of depressing seeing where people are headed.

Based on the above, I doubt that this Forum is of considerable monetary value. Sorry, but maybe that's a good thing.

I think you mean Gen Z and Millennials. Leave us Gen Xers out of it, lol.
Posted By: snowy

Re: Another person wanting to buy Trapperman - 02/04/24 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by mike mason
Let the Trapperman members buy it.EOC of Trapperman,set a share price with CPA/auditor.

This would be a good business move share owners would work hard at keeping things sustainable. Not sure exactly how to move ahead with the move but I believe it would be a success.
Posted By: snowy

Re: Another person wanting to buy Trapperman - 02/04/24 04:58 PM

Your comments on age were one thing that crossed my mind when I started reading the posts. The thinking that Waggler has is a business concern if I was to buy it. On the other hand, if the people had a choice to buy into the forum as of shares, than I think it would be viable venture for the Boss.
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: Another person wanting to buy Trapperman - 02/04/24 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by yotetrapper30

I know us Gen Xers are all well into our 40s and 50s , there are a few of the born in 82-83 youngest child with several older siblings that fall into X but even the millennials started turning 40

I don't think trapperman is competing with anything , no such space else where
it may not be the most marketable of forums for adverts but I am sure they were Low balling as well.
Posted By: beaverpeeler

Re: Another person wanting to buy Trapperman - 02/04/24 05:23 PM

First off Kudos to the boss for openly discussing something of this nature with the members of his forum. It shows he really cares.

For me, Trapperman makes up 100% of my social media fix, so big changes would not be something I'd like to see. Seeing somebody like Jameson willing to step up to the plate is surely heartening but ultimately, like others have voiced, I would be happy to see Paul do whatever works best for him.
Posted By: Nessmuck

Re: Another person wanting to buy Trapperman - 02/04/24 05:23 PM

You could run trapperman like FHA...trapper owned.

Re: Another person wanting to buy Trapperman - 02/04/24 05:29 PM

I have no plans to sell. I was just curious. I have no idea what will happen to it when I croak, but until then, it will stay like it is.
Posted By: Boco

Re: Another person wanting to buy Trapperman - 02/04/24 05:32 PM

Danny,the owner of the CNTA forum has just passed,he put the forum up for sale about a month before he passed,dont know if anyone has bought it yet,but it is still going.
Hope it doesnt fold.
Posted By: Eagleye

Re: Another person wanting to buy Trapperman - 02/04/24 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by insanelupus
Eagleye, for my own edification, is there a reason you would go to 10x-15x net yearly profit? I've always heard 4x-5x yearly net profit for a small business, and I'm curious if the higher valuation is based on the fact it's an internet site, or if there is other reasoning. Thank you.

There’s a lot that goes into creating a multiple, a large portion of my career was in M&A, buying and selling Fortune 100 companies, not uncommon to see 20x-50x multiples in that arena, even with small businesses. The higher the multiples are all driven by compelling value proposition and rapid growth. If you’re in a commodity based small business where the threshold to entry is low, ie; cleaning or landscaping business the multiple would be 5x, the business model is easily replicated.
Posted By: yukonjeff

Re: Another person wanting to buy Trapperman - 02/04/24 05:44 PM

I would not be surprised if the offer is from the government, or liberal think tank wanting to shut it down.
Too many on here are self sufficient and own alot of guns and free speech. Thats not very common anymore on any website.

This site is also a network of likeminded people across the country that could easily organize.
Posted By: Bob Jameson

Re: Another person wanting to buy Trapperman - 02/04/24 05:47 PM

Jeff you hit the nail on the head I believe. My thoughts as well.

Re: Another person wanting to buy Trapperman - 02/04/24 06:03 PM

I will take one step further and say I would bet the fishing boat that the feds have been watching this site, and members for years.

We could easily organize into militia when/ if evading the profanity filter

They probably know us all by name.

Re: Another person wanting to buy Trapperman - 02/04/24 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by yukonjeff

Supposedly they keep track of me and others with my background in the military.

Re: Another person wanting to buy Trapperman - 02/04/24 06:15 PM

I will take one step further and say I would bet the fishing boat that the feds have been watching this site, and members for years.

We could easily organize into militia when/ if evading the profanity filter

X2

I don't respond to threads about "show us your guns"

Posted By: Grandpa Trapper

Re: Another person wanting to buy Trapperman - 02/04/24 07:48 PM

I would not be surprised if the offer is from the government, or liberal think tank wanting to shut it down.
Too many on here are self sufficient and own alot of guns and free speech. Thats not very common anymore on any website.

This site is also a network of likeminded people across the country that could easily organize.

Makes sense.
Posted By: rex123

Re: Another person wanting to buy Trapperman - 02/04/24 08:02 PM

Are you sure the offer wasn't from PETA or another group like that . They would benefit the most.
Posted By: Hydropillar

Re: Another person wanting to buy Trapperman - 02/04/24 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by Paul Dobbins
I have no plans to sell. I was just curious. I have no idea what will happen to it when I croak, but until then, it will stay like it is.

i dought paul would sell his and his fathers legacy for so little... remember trappers are the tightest {/} people to deal with this site is only reason i need internet !!
Posted By: cattails

Re: Another person wanting to buy Trapperman - 02/04/24 08:44 PM

With all the knowledge on here, that's an insult.
Posted By: w side rd 151

Re: Another person wanting to buy Trapperman - 02/04/24 08:45 PM

In a perfect world that would be the best way for Tman to continue to thrive It is worth it's weight in gold just for it's wealth of free information that can be found And even though we do not always agree we are a family and it would not be anyone's interest to mess with us
Originally Posted by Bob Jameson
Just my 2 cents.

If you would sell, I hope you would consider the character and intent of the individual. Get an audit of this individual(s) for the last 5 years as to his activity, investments and political history.

Not just someone to buy and flip it to some liberal to shut the site down or shut us down as to what we say and discuss. That is what is happening in this country now. It is all about control of the narrative. We are one of the few sites left that has no controls basically.

If you plan to sell and are in that mind set, we can talk also. I wouldn't buy it for profit, only to maintain its spirit and the original intent. Then when my days are about over, hopefully we can have another like-minded individual or group with the same standards and values at heart to pick up from there, etc.
The talent and willingness of the people that are using this site make it so valuable to the people that post here It was created to honor Charlie Dobbins and Paul and his staff of hard working ;people that are sincere in keeping it a beacon of all that is good and important when it comes to Tman Keeping it at the front of promoting the trapping / outdoor life style I am glad that It is free but I say this with little doubt I Would pay to be a member And there are very very few that I feel that same way about .
Posted By: cattails

Re: Another person wanting to buy Trapperman - 02/04/24 08:45 PM

I would start at 1,000,000 take it or leave it

Unless you sell it to Bob Jameson......Then $30,000 sounds about right. lol

Re: Another person wanting to buy Trapperman - 02/04/24 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by Eagleye
Originally Posted by insanelupus

There’s a lot that goes into creating a multiple, a large portion of my career was in M&A, buying and selling Fortune 100 companies, not uncommon to see 20x-50x multiples in that arena, even with small businesses. The higher the multiples are all driven by compelling value proposition and rapid growth. If you’re in a commodity based small business where the threshold to entry is low, ie; cleaning or landscaping business the multiple would be 5x, the business model is easily replicated.

Have heard of these multiples often, but for clarification, is that X gross or net? Seems it would make a big difference.
Posted By: warrior

Re: Another person wanting to buy Trapperman - 02/04/24 10:39 PM

I figure Kendall over at NO-BS will eventually end up with it like so much else.

That or Bill Duke will copy it.
Posted By: white17

Re: Another person wanting to buy Trapperman - 02/04/24 11:21 PM

When trying to value Tman..........remember there is nothing like it anywhere on the web. It is one of a kind.

Demographics certainly could be a drag going forward but no one is going to create anything that competes with this forum
Posted By: Sharon

Re: Another person wanting to buy Trapperman - 02/04/24 11:34 PM

My thought exactly, Sir Ken.

There is not another forum like Mr. Paul's. Therefore, any speculation of the forum worth is just that.

Re: Another person wanting to buy Trapperman - 02/04/24 11:41 PM

This community is price. Even the few that I fail to understand how their brains function enough to stay alive. Yes I like them also.
Posted By: waggler

Re: Another person wanting to buy Trapperman - 02/05/24 12:25 AM

Originally Posted by yotetrapper30

You are correct, I misspoke.
Posted By: ~ADC~

Re: Another person wanting to buy Trapperman - 02/05/24 12:36 AM

Originally Posted by Sharon
My thought exactly, Sir Ken.

There is not another forum like Mr. Paul's. Therefore, any speculation of the forum worth is just that.

Actually, IowaTrappersTalk.com is set up nearly identical to this forum. It was designed after it by the same man who built this current version of trapperman for Paul. But it's the vast diversity and shear numbers of members that makes this place unique. I choose to not have as many different forums on it but they could be added. I like trapperman right here as it is. If trapperman for whatever reason ceased to exist it would be a terrible shame. I don't know what I'd do if I had to deal with the volume of members trapperman has, and I'm happy I don't have to.
Posted By: wr otis

Re: Another person wanting to buy Trapperman - 02/05/24 12:38 AM

I'd be interested in buying it, just so i could boot a bunch of agitators and idiots off.
Posted By: panaxman

Re: Another person wanting to buy Trapperman - 02/05/24 12:43 AM

This is the only site I post on as well. Never did Face Crook, or others. I’m just not interested in people’s non-sense - just an energy zap and popularity contest.
I watch my wife do that non-sense; likes, dislikes ect…. Ain’t for me. T - Man works for my style. Appreciate all of you, well MOST wink
Posted By: Animals Only

Re: Another person wanting to buy Trapperman - 02/05/24 01:18 AM

I'd pay that much to throw some off the site. Lol
Posted By: Scout1

Re: Another person wanting to buy Trapperman - 02/05/24 02:02 AM

Tell them to add a couple of zero’s to that 30K-60K. Also refer the potential buyers to CoonMan and James for further negotiations. Boco had the best suggestion of selling and starting another site. But remember Boss, the image and likeness of my screen name is copy righted…..
Posted By: bucksnbears

Re: Another person wanting to buy Trapperman - 02/05/24 03:03 AM

Unless you need the $$ Paul...., don't you dare!

However, being your getting up there ( age) may wanna think ahead and try n figger out a future plan.

This forum really needs to continue in the way you've developed it. By far, the best there is.
Posted By: Lufkin Trapper

Re: Another person wanting to buy Trapperman - 02/05/24 03:16 AM

If you ever do decide to sell, I think you would really ramp up the price by adding a " LIKE" button to see how many people really would respond without having to type out a message. "LIKE's" are good'
Posted By: martentrapper

Re: Another person wanting to buy Trapperman - 02/05/24 03:20 AM

Originally Posted by white17
When trying to value Tman..........remember there is nothing like it anywhere on the web. It is one of a kind.

Demographics certainly could be a drag going forward but no one is going to create anything that competes with this forum

I'll agree partly. However there are many Facebook groups that are similar to this sight. ATA has a group. There is another one that deals with Alaska trapping, maybe 2 or 3 others. There is a FB group for just about anything you can think. Of course they all come with rules, but so does this sight.
I'll venture to say it could be beneficial to this sight to have a "Trapperman" Facebook group. ATA created their group to reach out to other alaska trappers and the group has increased ATA membership I believe.
Posted By: mfergu8

Re: Another person wanting to buy Trapperman - 02/05/24 03:34 AM

Originally Posted by Lufkin Trapper
If you ever do decide to sell, I think you would really ramp up the price by adding a " LIKE" button to see how many people really would respond without having to type out a message. "LIKE's" are good'

I wish we did have a like button. Sometimes I see something I really like but don't want to take the time to write something.
Posted By: bucksnbears

Re: Another person wanting to buy Trapperman - 02/05/24 03:35 AM

" likes" suck!.
This ain't facebook.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Another person wanting to buy Trapperman - 02/05/24 03:48 AM

It's Priceless
Posted By: Jurassic Park

Re: Another person wanting to buy Trapperman - 02/05/24 05:28 AM

Definitely my favourite site on the internet. I would hate to see ads after every 3 posts. I like it just the way it is, although I would be in favour for a ‘Like’ button.

Kind of a big family here. Not a happy family, but a family.
Posted By: beaverpeeler

Re: Another person wanting to buy Trapperman - 02/05/24 06:02 AM

Originally Posted by Lufkin Trapper

Good lord help me NOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL
Posted By: mole

Re: Another person wanting to buy Trapperman - 02/05/24 09:04 AM

Good morning Trapperman & Continental Weather Report is worth that much alone

Re: Another person wanting to buy Trapperman - 02/05/24 09:54 AM

Take the money, split it with Benny, and have him build a new site called Trapper Men smile We will all join.
Posted By: BernieB.

Re: Another person wanting to buy Trapperman - 02/05/24 11:27 AM

This could be monetized better if you wanted to go to the trouble. There is a pretty small pool of potential advertisers unless you went to Google adsense ads. Then it would be worth more.

Re: Another person wanting to buy Trapperman - 02/05/24 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by BernieB.
This could be monetized better if you wanted to go to the trouble. There is a pretty small pool of potential advertisers unless you went to Google adsense ads. Then it would be worth more.

Years ago I did a trial run with some ad thing, but I didn't like it, so I ditched it. For me, it's not about making a pot full of money. The ads I have on here pays the bills to keep this place running, and that's good enough.
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: Another person wanting to buy Trapperman - 02/05/24 12:44 PM

I like what you and Benny created. It belongs to you two. Your decision. All good things must end I suppose. I hope your heirs or whoever takes over when your done, does not change things to much.
Posted By: bass10

Re: Another person wanting to buy Trapperman - 02/05/24 02:42 PM

Like most on here its about the only site I visit a time or two a day. I frequent one other site for High School sports I like but the bickering there is more painful than on here. IMO I'm with everyone else
that is WAY too cheap. They will fill it with ads and make that back in no time.
Posted By: w side rd 151

Re: Another person wanting to buy Trapperman - 02/05/24 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by danny clifton
I like what you and Benny created. It belongs to you two. Your decision. All good things must end I suppose. I hope your heirs or whoever takes over when your done, does not change things to much.

When I found this site I had been trapping for about 30 years and I knew I was not the best trapper in the world How ever I felt like I was up to date with to modern day methods and such .It only took me a few days to get the message that there was another level of trappers that had lots of great ideas that they wanted to share with anyone wanting to know And to even make it more worth the time there where many people that would also share their ability with a camera a paint brush or some music they liked or how to prepare some favorite food make wine skin a coyote .It is a one stop site to find information about everything you can think of I learn every day by checking in to TMAN And most often it is entertaining without being offensive .Heck I wish I could buy it .
Posted By: Oh Snap

Re: Another person wanting to buy Trapperman - 02/05/24 05:06 PM

As a Trapper it's never been about money for me, so I can understand Paul's opinion. It's trapping that have brought all sorts of real life experiences that I would never have experienced doing other things. It's been a big part of my bucket list.

Trapperman is YOU Paul. I respect your decisions.
Posted By: grisseldog

Re: Another person wanting to buy Trapperman - 02/05/24 07:41 PM

Trapperman will never be the same and I give it 3 years after the sale before it collapses
Posted By: Posco

Re: Another person wanting to buy Trapperman - 02/05/24 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by Oh Snap
Trapperman is YOU Paul.

A benevolent hardarse. I mean that in a good way.
Posted By: bblwi

Re: Another person wanting to buy Trapperman - 02/06/24 01:07 AM

Interesting to know that an international forum with several thousand registered viewers or members maybe worth say $30K or so! That is nothing to even an individual that would want to take down a forum like this. Man that is only 10,000 muskrats. Up to the owner do decide how they want to move forward, but from a user perspective it sure does not appear that it takes much to silence thousands of trappers if there is interest in doing so.

Bryce
Posted By: OhioBoy

Re: Another person wanting to buy Trapperman - 02/06/24 03:53 PM

Im guessing you could find a current member to buy it for 30k.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums