Home

how much ammo is enough to have on hand?

Posted By: danny clifton

how much ammo is enough to have on hand? - 02/01/24 03:12 PM

thoughts?
Posted By: Knappett

Re: how much ammo is enough to have on hand? - 02/01/24 03:14 PM

all of it
Posted By: Leftlane

Re: how much ammo is enough to have on hand? - 02/01/24 03:14 PM

I treat it like firewood at a camp site- whatever I think will last me, I triple it.
Posted By: Trapper7

Re: how much ammo is enough to have on hand? - 02/01/24 03:30 PM

With all the terrorists that are getting into the country, there is never enough.
Posted By: 30-06 Trapper

Re: how much ammo is enough to have on hand? - 02/01/24 03:35 PM

i like to have at least 1000 rounds for every gun i own
Posted By: Keystonekiller

Re: how much ammo is enough to have on hand? - 02/01/24 03:35 PM

Large rifle primers just hit my area yesterday the one shop only allows 1000 to be bought per person
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: how much ammo is enough to have on hand? - 02/01/24 03:36 PM

Load up on what you can use the most or find more of down the road in the popular calibers, my STW will end up bring an expensive club since I can’t get ammo for it.
Posted By: Tactical.20

Re: how much ammo is enough to have on hand? - 02/01/24 03:36 PM

I only have 2,000 9mm and 2,000 5.56, my friend has somewhere between 10-20,000 .223 and ten ghost guns
Posted By: BigBob

Re: how much ammo is enough to have on hand? - 02/01/24 03:38 PM

I make sure to be THAT guy everyone will think is crazy for all the stuff I've squirreled away. Problem is the cost! I made the jump many years ago and bought reloading gear and am always on the lookout for reasonably priced components. Ammo has an indefinite shelf life.
Posted By: Osky

Re: how much ammo is enough to have on hand? - 02/01/24 03:41 PM

More rounds than the stars in the sky.

Just to be sure.

Osky
Posted By: Yes sir

Re: how much ammo is enough to have on hand? - 02/01/24 03:46 PM

A lifetime supply then when you reach that one might plan for your kids.i don't shot a lot compared to a lot of guys but I won't be caught short again. I'm a slower learner but I've seen enough shortages that I've figured it out.

If you accidentally get too much, who doesn't like to shot?
Posted By: mad_mike

Re: how much ammo is enough to have on hand? - 02/01/24 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by danny clifton
thoughts?

Yes.
Posted By: HayDay

Re: how much ammo is enough to have on hand? - 02/01/24 03:53 PM

Loaded factory ammo, as much as you want or can store.

If loading your own, as many components as you want or can store, but go slow on stockpiling your loaded ammo much beyond what is needed to keep shooting short term. General consensus among reloaders is they trust their own but nobody else's reloads. Amazing how often I hear guys talking about buying up a stash of reloaded ammo from some estate or something, then pulling it all down.

Basically follows the line that the only two people I trust to do this right are you and me, and I'm not so sure about you.
Posted By: coyote 1

Re: how much ammo is enough to have on hand? - 02/01/24 03:54 PM

As much as you can get. It's hard to do with the current prices and shortages in powder/primers. At the very least have enough for a few waves of attacks then there will be some to collect.
Posted By: HayDay

Re: how much ammo is enough to have on hand? - 02/01/24 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by Yes sir
A lifetime supply then when you reach that one might plan for your kids.i don't shot a lot compared to a lot of guys but I won't be caught short again. I'm a slower learner but I've seen enough shortages that I've figured it out.

If you accidentally get too much, who doesn't like to shot?

X2

Enough to burn the barrels out of every gun I load for.........X2.
Posted By: Drifter

Re: how much ammo is enough to have on hand? - 02/01/24 04:05 PM

No such thing as too much. It don't eat anything.
Posted By: Mando

Re: how much ammo is enough to have on hand? - 02/01/24 04:07 PM

I'm down to my last 20 rounds of .22 and 15 of 30-06. I lost the rest in a tragic boating accident.
Posted By: Nessmuck

Re: how much ammo is enough to have on hand? - 02/01/24 04:07 PM

It' is better to have ammo in times of no money

Than it is to have money in times of no ammo
Posted By: Wanna Be

Re: how much ammo is enough to have on hand? - 02/01/24 04:09 PM

What are you using the ammo for?
If hunting, how much do you shoot each season?
If a Zombie attack, how much of an area are you trying to defend? I’d think fortification would dictate ammo needed.

I just buy ammo when I have “extra” money. I keep my calibers and guns simple. 5.56, 7.62, 45’s and 38’s and of course .22’s, 12ga and 20ga. Buy a box/case of each every now and then or whenever there’s a good sale. You’ll know when you have enough when UPS or FedEx tells you they’re supposed to report you. If you haven’t had them tell you that, you don’t have enough ammo, lol.
Posted By: Kre

Re: how much ammo is enough to have on hand? - 02/01/24 04:33 PM

I have a bunch of 16 gauge loads, some .22 and some 9mm & .45

16 gauge loads are a bit spendy and sometimes hard to find, so I buy when it makes sense.

I don't have use for anything else.

Re: how much ammo is enough to have on hand? - 02/01/24 04:35 PM

Lawdog, you could likely load pretty decent rounds with this

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1026572448?pid=317070
Posted By: 160user

Re: how much ammo is enough to have on hand? - 02/01/24 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by Law Dog
Load up on what you can use the most or find more of down the road in the popular calibers, my STW will end up bring an expensive club since I can’t get ammo for it.

I just saw a bunch of once fired brass for sale but it was $2 each.
Posted By: walleyed

Re: how much ammo is enough to have on hand? - 02/01/24 04:51 PM

thoughts?

Just take all the ammo you have
and bug out to MARTY'S compound !!!

Between the two of you, there will be enough
for a good ALAMO type stand !!!

w
Posted By: Dana I

Re: how much ammo is enough to have on hand? - 02/01/24 05:00 PM

I don't know but I can say it's far more than I have, and far more than I can afford.
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: how much ammo is enough to have on hand? - 02/01/24 05:05 PM

I think the limits of cost have never allowed me to have enough.

I think a good place to start would be

300 rounds of my 308 hunting ammo
300 round of my pheasant ammo #4&5 with a few #6 incase I feel like smaller birds.
100 slugs
1000 trap loads 7.5 or 8
5000 rounds of 22lr
3600 rounds of 9mm target ammo
500 rounds carry ammo 9mm
2000 rounds of 223
100 rounds of buckshot

multiply that by 10 for 10 years worth that would be a nice place to start

I don't actually shoot very much buck shot but it seems like a nice thing to have a bit of around
Posted By: backroadsarcher

Re: how much ammo is enough to have on hand? - 02/01/24 05:06 PM

Never enough. Depending also on how many calibers you own and which ones.
Posted By: Yes sir

Re: how much ammo is enough to have on hand? - 02/01/24 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by walleyed
thoughts?

Just take all the ammo you have
and bug out to MARTY'S compound !!!

Between the two of you, there will be enough
for a good ALAMO type stand !!!

w

I'd join them but Marty got booted before he gave the final clue as to where the compound is
Posted By: Tom Fisher

Re: how much ammo is enough to have on hand? - 02/01/24 05:59 PM

My "friend" has about a thousand loaded for each calibre and several thousand componets, IF this crazy Govenor gets these bills through he will probably up these and buy another press or two. I may go visit him!
Posted By: jalstat

Re: how much ammo is enough to have on hand? - 02/01/24 06:56 PM

Buy , buy , and buy
Posted By: panaxman

Re: how much ammo is enough to have on hand? - 02/01/24 07:48 PM

Load up at gun shows by the case w cash, you can’t have enough. It always sells, if you need to lighten your stash
Posted By: Coalcreekkid

Re: how much ammo is enough to have on hand? - 02/01/24 07:52 PM

I have at least 1000 rounds per gun but it won't last long in a fire fight.

Re: how much ammo is enough to have on hand? - 02/01/24 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by panaxman
Load up at gun shows by the case w cash, you can’t have enough. It always sells, if you need to lighten your stash

gun shows around here have the worst price on ammo

most of it is sale price ammo from walmart , farm and fleet or any other store that sells ammo marked up.

we have a few gun shops around that will run decent fair prices on ammo

and farm stores like fleet farm keep ammo prices fair if you really dislike online.
Posted By: jbyrd63

Re: how much ammo is enough to have on hand? - 02/01/24 09:49 PM

Funny thing about this topic is how much anyone that has hunted as long as me actually has. If you did a complete inventory it might surprise a person.
Posted By: BigBob

Re: how much ammo is enough to have on hand? - 02/01/24 09:57 PM

Don't forget, even if YOU don't shoot it, somebody else does and it can be bartered.
Posted By: Providence Farm

Re: how much ammo is enough to have on hand? - 02/01/24 09:59 PM

I never have enough never will.
Posted By: Spike369

Re: how much ammo is enough to have on hand? - 02/01/24 10:02 PM

Enough for 1 good firefight cus that's all you're gonna get!
Posted By: Feedinggrounds

Re: how much ammo is enough to have on hand? - 02/02/24 12:03 AM

Got half a box of .22 birdshot....bout it wink
Posted By: Guss

Re: how much ammo is enough to have on hand? - 02/02/24 12:07 AM

You want pallets full of 22s
Posted By: Grandpa Trapper

Re: how much ammo is enough to have on hand? - 02/02/24 12:09 AM

10,000 rounds per gun and then some.
Posted By: Jingles

Re: how much ammo is enough to have on hand? - 02/02/24 12:16 AM

Originally Posted by Grandpa Trapper
10,000 rounds per gun and then some.

Enough that I'm probably one of those that the left accuses of being a domestic threat
Need a like button

Re: how much ammo is enough to have on hand? - 02/02/24 01:30 AM

I find this funny. In WWII the US dropped "Liberator" pistols behind enemy lines. The pistols were a stamped, sheet metal POS with (I believe) 7 rounds of ammo. The idea was to kill the bad guy and take HIS weapon and ammo.
Posted By: bucksnbears

Re: how much ammo is enough to have on hand? - 02/02/24 01:36 AM

Ain't a topic that should be discussed on the net. wink

Re: how much ammo is enough to have on hand? - 02/02/24 01:38 AM

I don’t pass up any ads for discount ammo I check out every ad just know what you’re buying. I bought some CCI independent ammo that had a noticeable bad round so it made me wonder what the rest are going to be like. I should have bought the regular CCI ammo for the same price.

The standard is 1 bad round out of every 1,000 round manufactured is what they taught us at the academy. Our instructor said when given new duty rounds he fit tests every round in the barrel of his weapon before loading them in his magazine to carry on duty.
Posted By: Marty B

Re: how much ammo is enough to have on hand? - 02/02/24 01:46 AM

What guns do you need?

Simplest list.

12 gauge
22lr

Someone should make a 22-12-308 drilling.

Re: how much ammo is enough to have on hand? - 02/02/24 01:56 AM

Originally Posted by bucksnbears
Ain't a topic that should be discussed on the net. wink

[Linked Image]

Re: how much ammo is enough to have on hand? - 02/02/24 02:05 AM

It's awesome I'm in your head Byrd.

grin
Posted By: DelawareRob

Re: how much ammo is enough to have on hand? - 02/02/24 02:30 AM

grin

He should start charging you since you live rent free in his head.

Re: how much ammo is enough to have on hand? - 02/02/24 02:34 AM

Originally Posted by DelawareRob

grin

Heck, I'm doing it for free.
I'm kinda charitable that way. smile
Posted By: Raghorn67

Re: how much ammo is enough to have on hand? - 02/02/24 02:35 AM

I don't know how much is enough.

But I don't think man can ever have to much

Re: how much ammo is enough to have on hand? - 02/02/24 02:37 AM

thoughts?

Guess it depends. I usually take a box of shells while duck hunting, just what I have in the bag. I’ll add another box of shells for geese when the season is in.

Never know if a buddy might need a few rounds or something.

Usually carry three shells while turkey hunting.

I just grab a handful of .22 while squirrel hunting.

For deer I load three and usually have a few extra just in case a herd comes along.

Rabbits and upland birds are whatever fits in the little shell holders in my vest.

Other game that I can use a rifle for is whatever I have left in the box I have and maybe a second full box if taking a trip to hunt.

Re: how much ammo is enough to have on hand? - 02/02/24 03:09 AM

Originally Posted by DelawareRob

grin

No I decided to return the favor. No matter what the topic is he mouths off. If I add something to it he issues me a citation from his edit police decoder ring. Example is Thread about restricting doe harvest. He didn't comment about the subject . Just that I made a point and then went back and added a line. He is so edit frustrated. Of course it could be he"s out of pumpkins and he"s backed up. Probably his carpal tunnel is flared up too....

Re: how much ammo is enough to have on hand? - 02/02/24 03:22 AM

I bet y’all would be best of friends away from a keyboard. I’d probably welcome you both here on the peninsula or up at camp in Maine.

Re: how much ammo is enough to have on hand? - 02/02/24 04:09 AM

Originally Posted by 160user
I find this funny. In WWII the US dropped "Liberator" pistols behind enemy lines. The pistols were a stamped, sheet metal POS with (I believe) 7 rounds of ammo. The idea was to kill the bad guy and take HIS weapon and ammo.

it was very much for psychological effect as well as not wanting to arm the enemy with anything better than they might already have but if you had nothing it was a definite something.
they were $2.10 at the time about 38-40 dollars in todays dollars and came with 10 rounds.
Posted By: ScottW

Re: how much ammo is enough to have on hand? - 02/02/24 04:11 AM

I like to have a handful of boxes of 12 gauge on hand before season and always try to have at least a couple boxes of .308. Usually shoot the .308 once before deer season to be sure it’s on and then hopefully fire two rounds or so for deer. If it’s a bear year add one. A box of .308 usually last me a good 4 years. And a couple packs of .17 also for the vermin. Happy trapping! ScottW

Re: how much ammo is enough to have on hand? - 02/02/24 04:16 AM

Originally Posted by GREENCOUNTYPETE

it was very much for psychological effect as well as not wanting to arm the enemy with anything better than they might already have but if you had nothing it was a definite something.
they were $2.10 at the time about 38-40 dollars in todays dollars and came with 10 rounds.

Resistance assignation gun hit and run.

Re: how much ammo is enough to have on hand? - 02/02/24 04:21 AM

Originally Posted by ScottW
I like to have a handful of boxes of 12 gauge on hand before season and always try to have at least a couple boxes of .308. Usually shoot the .308 once before deer season to be sure it’s on and then hopefully fire two rounds or so for deer. If it’s a bear year add one. A box of .308 usually last me a good 4 years. And a couple packs of .17 also for the vermin. Happy trapping! ScottW

Practical. But boy I would be very uncomfortable at levels like that. I have some guns at those levels but have many more for others.

Re: how much ammo is enough to have on hand? - 02/02/24 05:07 AM

Best part of checking ammo is looking at prices on boxes! Got some 22 lr got 99 cents on box of 50
Posted By: waggler

Re: how much ammo is enough to have on hand? - 02/02/24 05:49 AM

The less you have, the less chance there is that you'll make a dumb (fatal) mistake.
Posted By: turkn8rtrapper

Re: how much ammo is enough to have on hand? - 02/02/24 06:00 AM

All I can say is before the flood and boating accident I had people watching the people that were watching me.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: how much ammo is enough to have on hand? - 02/02/24 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by Leftlane
I treat it like firewood at a camp site- whatever I think will last me, I triple it.

Truth
Posted By: Spike369

Re: how much ammo is enough to have on hand? - 02/02/24 11:44 AM

The thing everyone is missing is you need just enough to repel an attack. Then go collect the guns and ammo from the attackers. Free guns and ammo. That's why I've never bought an AR. I'll just pick one up in the street. I already know how they shoot from being in the military. Same with a 9 mil and 45.
Posted By: Orlando

Re: how much ammo is enough to have on hand? - 02/02/24 12:52 PM

I used to shoot a lot. But, I've found the last couple of shortages have affected me psychologically. If there is a shortage, I don't shoot much because I do not know when/if I can replace the ammo. If there is not a shortage I do not shoot a lot because I am sure its just a matter of time before there will be one.
Of course there's always the fact that I have a hard time wasting high price ammo. Since I am getting a little long in the tooth, I remember what I used to pay. By comparison, its now all high priced. I wonder if younger people who never bought 22lr for 50 cents a box, 12gauge pheasant loads $3.50, or 270 for $5.00 do not mind buying at today's prices and blast away like I used to.

To answer the original poster's question - like money in retirement, you can get by on less, but always feel better having more.
Posted By: 2poor

Re: how much ammo is enough to have on hand? - 02/02/24 01:03 PM

Enough my Grandkids won’t have to look for it !

Re: how much ammo is enough to have on hand? - 02/02/24 02:15 PM

When we shoot for fun I buy enough ammo for the outing. If available I sometimes replace what we shot after. Shoot for fun during scarcity does not happen. Trapping and hunting only. Grandkids practice with bb guns. Price of anything considered a deer hunting round is horrible. If you buy brass cost is equal to loaded rounds. Shoot for fun except 22 doesn't happen much.

Re: how much ammo is enough to have on hand? - 02/02/24 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by waggler
The less you have, the less chance there is that you'll make a dumb (fatal) mistake.

The dumb fatal mistake would be running out of ammo.

Re: how much ammo is enough to have on hand? - 02/02/24 02:46 PM

When we shoot for fun I buy enough ammo for the outing. If available I sometimes replace what we shot after. Shoot for fun during scarcity does not happen. Trapping and hunting only. Grandkids practice with bb guns. Price of anything considered a deer hunting round is horrible. If you buy brass cost is equal to loaded rounds. Shoot for fun except 22 doesn't happen much.

And why I bought my boys ppc air guns, AFTER they already had .22s, shotguns, and center fire rifles. Pellets are cheap, available during shortages, and they kill anything I would shoot with a .22 just as dead.

Re: how much ammo is enough to have on hand? - 02/02/24 04:29 PM

you have exactly the ammo you have on the shelf if your roof leaks or your storage poor not even that at times.

ammo at the store is never a guarantee any more. some stores some days better than others.

looking for any ammo even a month before a season is getting harder every year.

one year it was 12ga slugs
this year 20ga slugs
still looking for restock on 20ga sabots

at times anything that went bang nearly. like 2020

buy pheasant ammo in March or April there is either none on the shelf or they want double or triple for what is come Sept/Oct

like to be at least a year or 3 ahead on any hunting ammo
I would like to be further ahead than that but my money keeps being worth less and the ammo more.
Posted By: randall brannon

Re: how much ammo is enough to have on hand? - 02/02/24 05:12 PM

My Tommy gun I have 15,000 rounds and three Drum Magazines. My UZI is made by Smith and Wesson and chambered in 45 as well. Then my others all have about 500 rounds per caliber. Too bad I lost it all in a Boating accident.

Re: how much ammo is enough to have on hand? - 02/02/24 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by Providence Farm

The dumb fatal mistake would be running out of ammo.

A dumb fatal mistake would be thinking that you are going to sit there with your 10,000 rounds of ammo and fend off a modern military force. You might get off ten rounds before it's lights-out for you. I realize everyone wants to play out "Red Dawn", but that ain't ever going to happen.

A few dozen rounds and a stealthy strategic plan might allow you to survive until you have the ability to accomplish something.
Posted By: Posco

Re: how much ammo is enough to have on hand? - 02/02/24 05:36 PM

It might be helpful if you guys buying up every primer as it hits the shelf to back off and give the rest of the resistance a chance to help out if the SHTF.

Re: how much ammo is enough to have on hand? - 02/02/24 05:37 PM

Ok wrangler I see your just making assumptions of others plans and mind sets. Not unusual carry on.
Posted By: Grandpa Trapper

Re: how much ammo is enough to have on hand? - 02/02/24 05:38 PM

And what mistake would tha be?

Re: how much ammo is enough to have on hand? - 02/02/24 06:14 PM

More then the Govt. has.
Posted By: Keystonekiller

Re: how much ammo is enough to have on hand? - 02/02/24 06:41 PM

Amen posco ...store near me just got large rifle primers went up after work sold out
Posted By: Aix sponsa

Re: how much ammo is enough to have on hand? - 02/02/24 07:13 PM

To make it simple, I consider 100 rounds per center fire shotgun, rifle, and handgun caliber to be absolute minimum to allow enough for its intended purpose as well as at least a little practice. Rimfire, I’d say 250. These amounts are barebones minimums in my opinion. Ideally, each of these amounts would be 500 or 1000+, especially since we all know how difficult it can be to get ammo. Some people waited years to finally be able to get the ammo that they needed. Of course with regular, planned use such as serious target practice, these numbers are going to be much higher.

The rest of my answer is that it’s really hard for a person to have too much ammo or reloading components if they like to practice or hunt. It would depend on the person, their needs, and whether or not they will be able to replenish stocks. A person or family can easily burn through hundreds of rounds in an afternoon target shooting. A target shooter, a hunter, and a person only wanting ammo for defense likely all have different needs and goals.

Hunting wise, a person should have enough ammo to take X number of game, enough ammo to account for misses, PLUS enough ammo to check zero/rezero/practice with, and it needs to be the bullets/loads that their guns pattern well. Using ammo that patterns/groups well saves ammo, because it reduces the number of finishing shots, misses, and times that you have to shoot a few extra shots just to ‘make sure’ your zero is good.

Re: how much ammo is enough to have on hand? - 02/02/24 08:57 PM

Ok wrangler I see your just making assumptions of others plans and mind sets. Not unusual carry on.

I don't think that's a false assumption of many preppers thoughts. However, I don't think there's any problem prepping for a variety of scenarios, but many folks have unrealistic expectations of their capabilities.

Re: how much ammo is enough to have on hand? - 02/02/24 09:36 PM

I don't think that's a false assumption of many preppers thoughts. However, I don't think there's any problem prepping for a variety of scenarios, but many folks have unrealistic expectations of their capabilities.

The best fight is the one you never fight. The people in your group will be your loved ones. Regardless of how bad or what you have been bullets fly and one finds it's mark it will be one you care about. Now medical help is a joke now not counting in a bad situation. Best to hide and avoid all fights if possible.

You can do that with as much ammo as you can carry and have 100x more in several stashed places. Saying because you have ammo meany you think your Rambo is the same as saying people will be a mass shooter because they have a gun.
Posted By: Bigbrownie

Re: how much ammo is enough to have on hand? - 02/02/24 10:08 PM

A dumb fatal mistake would be thinking that you are going to sit there with your 10,000 rounds of ammo and fend off a modern military force. You might get off ten rounds before it's lights-out for you. I realize everyone wants to play out "Red Dawn", but that ain't ever going to happen.

A few dozen rounds and a stealthy strategic plan might allow you to survive until you have the ability to accomplish something.

True
Posted By: Ridge Runner1960

Re: how much ammo is enough to have on hand? - 02/02/24 10:20 PM

got 7 rounds total, come take them! grin
Posted By: bodycount

Re: how much ammo is enough to have on hand? - 02/02/24 10:44 PM

Enough that I can't get rid of all the dead ones laying in my yard.
Posted By: Mike in A-town

Re: how much ammo is enough to have on hand? - 02/02/24 11:42 PM

I can get by hunting with the flinter... And I can make everything to keep it running like powder, balls, flints.

(Note to self: Get spare parts or another complete lock... Or two)

Everything else, enough to burn out the barrel. (Spare barrels and parts too)

Mike

Re: how much ammo is enough to have on hand? - 02/03/24 12:45 AM

Originally Posted by Mike in A-town
I can get by hunting with the flinter... And I can make everything to keep it running like powder, balls, flints.

Mike

I dare you to burn out a 30-30 barrel
I want to see this.
Posted By: seniortrap

Re: how much ammo is enough to have on hand? - 02/03/24 12:57 AM

Have enough to be able to say its enough for the moment!
Posted By: Cletis Richards

Re: how much ammo is enough to have on hand? - 02/03/24 02:20 AM

been playing with milsurp pdwr and cast bullets.....harvested my deer with them the last four years....
Posted By: MJM

Re: how much ammo is enough to have on hand? - 02/03/24 02:38 AM

Originally Posted by Cletis Richards
been playing with milsurp pdwr and cast bullets.....harvested my deer with them the last four years....

What caliber and powder? I bought some Military surplus powder when it was a little easier to come by and cheaper.

Re: how much ammo is enough to have on hand? - 02/03/24 02:42 AM

You guys are scaring me so I went out and bought an extra box of 22's. That doubled my "stash" so I should be all set.
Posted By: MJM

Re: how much ammo is enough to have on hand? - 02/03/24 02:50 AM

You guys are scaring me so I went out and bought an extra box of 22's. That doubled my "stash" so I should be all set.

Did you split it up or just leave the entire box in one stash?

Re: how much ammo is enough to have on hand? - 02/03/24 03:45 AM

Originally Posted by MJM

Did you split it up or just leave the entire box in one stash?

Oh no! I split it up into 5 groups and stashed it around the ranch. I even had the ammo "depots" tattooed on my backside so I don't forget where they are at. Does anyone have a mirror I could borrow?

Re: how much ammo is enough to have on hand? - 02/03/24 03:57 AM

Lol 160.

I think I have more ammo in the floor boards, glove boxes, and consoles in the vehicles than some members have Total.
Posted By: w side rd 151

Re: how much ammo is enough to have on hand? - 02/03/24 01:29 PM

Barring any unforeseen circumstances, we all have 2 feet And while the number of pairs of shoes might be different for each of us there is not much thing as having too many guns or to much .ammo .Many people invest in precious metal like gold or silver in case the economy goes bad .My thought is the most precious metal you should have is lead and copper .With a large amount of those 2 metals the odds of you losing any thing else that is necessary and important to you get very low .
Posted By: Cletis Richards

Re: how much ammo is enough to have on hand? - 02/03/24 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by MJM
Originally Posted by Cletis Richards

What caliber and powder? I bought some Military surplus powder when it was a little easier to come by and cheaper.

wc860 45/70 35 whelen 3006 duplex loads.........google data will produce lots of info
Posted By: randall brannon

Re: how much ammo is enough to have on hand? - 02/03/24 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by Guss
More then the Govt. has.

According to the Liar Demented Joe our military is low on Ammo. BUT that was probably Hunters Drugs talking
Posted By: Mike in A-town

Re: how much ammo is enough to have on hand? - 02/03/24 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by GREENCOUNTYPETE
Originally Posted by Mike in A-town

Mike

I dare you to burn out a 30-30 barrel
I want to see this.

Fair point... But where am I going to get enough 30-30 ammo to try?

Mike

Re: how much ammo is enough to have on hand? - 02/03/24 05:45 PM

I have about two thousand 45/70 and 1k 44 mag that's enough for a firefight.
My buddy called today said we will be involved in war sometime in March. To much in this world going on not to be.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums