Home

Snakes

Posted By: wws

Snakes - 01/27/24 09:28 PM

Was out setting traps this morning. Nutria was the problem I was talked to about. I have trapped this place in the past, today I see some nutria sign but beavers have also moved in. While checking the place out I seen a snake, in western Oregon we have a few timber rattlers but that’s it for venomous snakes, I have not seen a Gardner snake like this though. He was aggressive kinda a cool looking snake with the red head, after the picture and trying to bite my friends boot it went back into a hole. Spring might be getting close

Western Wildlife Services[Linked Image]
Posted By: Providence Farm

Re: Snakes - 01/27/24 09:38 PM

Cool snake I have not seen one like they either.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Snakes - 01/27/24 09:42 PM

Never heard of a red head snake
Posted By: Rat_Pack

Re: Snakes - 01/27/24 10:11 PM

330-Trapper... then you never met my ex wife laugh

Re: Snakes - 01/27/24 10:12 PM

Might call it Ginger?

Western Wildlife Services
Posted By: beaverpeeler

Re: Snakes - 01/27/24 10:54 PM

It's 62F outside right now so I'm not surprised that snakes might wake up a little.
Posted By: Wanna Be

Re: Snakes - 01/27/24 11:01 PM

In the 60’s this morning and we were in a Woodie hole talking about if the gators might be active. After one ole boy baptized himself, he assured us we ain’t got nothing to worry about as far as gators were concerned, lol.
What is strange is we haven’t seen a snake all winter. Normally we see quite a few, even on the quail hunts.
Posted By: KeithC

Re: Snakes - 01/27/24 11:02 PM

That's a cool looking red sided garter snake morph.

Keith
Posted By: Swamp Wolf

Re: Snakes - 01/27/24 11:06 PM

Been in the swamps and other beaver water every day for past couple months. No snakes until past couple day......one black racer and one red rat snake. Captured 1st turtle today in a 330 since November....uugghh!! mad

Re: Snakes - 01/28/24 04:17 AM

Looked it up, I guess it’s an Oregon red spotted gardner snake. I have never seen one like it. A couple years ago only about 10 miles from this one I caught a couple hundred regular Gardner snakes, contractor working on the house stopped working till I got the snakes under control. I guess he was weirded out by snakes.

Western Wildlife Services.

Re: Snakes - 01/28/24 04:30 AM

These are the ones I’m used to seeing in our area.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Gulo

Re: Snakes - 01/28/24 01:32 PM

beaverpeeler -

Excellent photo. That's a common garter snake, Thamnophis sirtalis?

Jack

Re: Snakes - 01/28/24 05:48 PM

Some of my blueberry pickers are not thrilled to see them as they’re reaching in.

Re: Snakes - 01/28/24 06:28 PM

The head looks bigger on the one I seen, it was about 2-1/2 feet long and inch and a half round, could had been stuffed full of mice.

Re: Snakes - 01/28/24 09:43 PM

The snake was back out today. [Linked Image]

© 2024 Trapperman Forums