Home

Disposable Stakes for coons

Posted By: That.darn.coon

Disposable Stakes for coons - 01/27/24 04:36 PM

What do you guys use for disposable stakes? This year I ran POGOs, but my problem with them is the J-hooks kept breaking when I would drive them in.
Posted By: KYBOY

Re: Disposable Stakes for coons - 01/27/24 07:06 PM

when I did mostly pogo's but it was in muddy banks so it was easy... Honestly, most of the time I had about 5' of chain and a good drag that I "pre-hooked" up if I could not use a pogo.. I know guys who use the wolf fang acnhors for coon and like them
Posted By: TC1

Re: Disposable Stakes for coons - 01/27/24 07:23 PM

How deep are you driving them in. In all reality do not need to be very deep at all for coons as they are only pulling horizontally and not up, assuming you are speaking of DP’s. If foot hold traps, would need to anchor for the biggest animal that may step in the trap. But in my ground conditions, a foot in the ground requires a lot to pull. If worried about the J hooks, weld them…. That and they are called disposable anchors for a reason, they are very cheap to replace……
Posted By: trapdog1

Re: Disposable Stakes for coons - 01/27/24 08:14 PM

All of my water coon traps are on about 30 inches of cable with the big, soft ground Berkshires. They will hold in any mud, sand or muck. If the bottom is firmer just don't need to drive them as deep.
DPs are on about 15 inches with regular Berkshires.
Posted By: newtoga

Re: Disposable Stakes for coons - 01/27/24 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by trapdog1
All of my water coon traps are on about 30 inches of cable with the big, soft ground Berkshires. They will hold in any mud, sand or muck. If the bottom is firmer just don't need to drive them as deep.
DPs are on about 15 inches with regular Berkshires.

X2
Posted By: gcs

Re: Disposable Stakes for coons - 01/27/24 08:17 PM

Here, I use regular Berkshires and a home made driver with a T on top, half the time I can just push the anchor in. Never had a coon pull one.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums