Home

Does your town blow the siren at noon?

Posted By: Gary Benson

Does your town blow the siren at noon? - 01/26/24 02:56 AM

Small towns around here blow the whistle at 7 am, 12pm, 1pm, and 6 pm. Does your town do it? Out in the country here we can hear 3-4 sirens from different villages. It's hard on the folks working night shift and sleep in the day.
Posted By: TheYouthTrapper

Re: Does your town blow the siren at noon? - 01/26/24 02:59 AM

We have one at noon and one at 6. I've found it's nice for me when I'm working and can't check my phone.
Posted By: AntiGov

Re: Does your town blow the siren at noon? - 01/26/24 03:00 AM

Never heard of that before ....why would they do that ?
Posted By: TurkeyTime

Next town over has a similar schedule. Grandpa got ours stopped in the early 70's.
Posted By: coyote 1

I hear the one in town 8 miles away. Usually at noon and 5.

When I'm deer hunting I start watching when the 5:00 whistle goes off.
Posted By: kenny k

Re: Does your town blow the siren at noon? - 01/26/24 03:01 AM

Only at noon there......
Posted By: mississippiposse

Re: Does your town blow the siren at noon? - 01/26/24 03:02 AM

Our small town blow a siren at 10 every day. Also used for storm alerts but sometimes they are late to the issue
Posted By: Nessmuck

Re: Does your town blow the siren at noon? - 01/26/24 03:05 AM

When I was going up..our town blew that Fire House horn at Noon and 5 pm.

And if your were on the same street as the fire station when it blew...you about schaat yah pants.

It caught me many times.

Also ...that horn would do like a Morse code blasts....to alert everyone where a fire was.

Our fire alarm down the street was #15 ....so you’d get 1 blast....pause...then 5 quick blasts....and people knew where the fire was
Posted By: 160user

Re: Does your town blow the siren at noon? - 01/26/24 03:05 AM

If they do, I am far enough away that I can't hear it.
Posted By: bucksnbears

Re: Does your town blow the siren at noon? - 01/26/24 03:06 AM

Unnecessary ritual.
Posted By: SNIPERBBB

Re: Does your town blow the siren at noon? - 01/26/24 03:07 AM

Around here some churches bells go off at noon. Only other time I would of heard such sirens are at factory sites. Just weird for the town itself to sound a siren/horn/whistle.

Re: Does your town blow the siren at noon? - 01/26/24 03:17 AM

Originally Posted by mississippiposse
Our small town blow a siren at 10 every day. Also used for storm alerts but sometimes they are late to the issue

AM or PM?
Interesting
Posted By: NEYotetrapper

Re: Does your town blow the siren at noon? - 01/26/24 03:22 AM

Maybe silly and unnecessary in today's day, but it is a part of the rural history where I lived. Most little towns still do it at noon, some at noon and 6. I like it, but then again I live in the country and I just hear it in the distance and am not living right underneath the siren.
Posted By: CTRAPS

Re: Does your town blow the siren at noon? - 01/26/24 03:31 AM

The town I grew up in used to blow the towns fire whistle / siren at noon and 6pm.

The fire department used to blow the siren 3 times for a town fire and 6 times for a rural fire.
Posted By: randall brannon

Re: Does your town blow the siren at noon? - 01/26/24 03:35 AM

Fond du lac does it everyday at noon.
Posted By: claycreech

Re: Does your town blow the siren at noon? - 01/26/24 03:39 AM

Monday thru Saturday just at noon.
Town of 130 some. I can hear it if the wind is right.
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: Does your town blow the siren at noon? - 01/26/24 03:39 AM

my home town is noon and 9pm

my current town is for when the volunteer fire department is called lets you know to get out of the way.
Posted By: TurkeyWrangler

Re: Does your town blow the siren at noon? - 01/26/24 03:42 AM

Ours use to at noon but come to think of it I haven't heard it in a long time. I don't live in town so maybe I just haven't been there at noon in awhile.
Posted By: 52Carl

Re: Does your town blow the siren at noon? - 01/26/24 03:44 AM

Little town I grew up in had a siren go off at noon every day. Everyone called it The Noon Whistle.
It was a warning for tornadoes. I guess we all would have got blown away if one came through at noon...
Posted By: martentrapper

Re: Does your town blow the siren at noon? - 01/26/24 04:04 AM

Grew up in Omaha near SAC hq. Air raid sirens were tested every Sat. at 9am. Sirens were mostly used for tornado warnings. Time to head for the basement when that siren blew!
Posted By: Chancey

Re: Does your town blow the siren at noon? - 01/26/24 04:13 AM

Yes but only at noon.

The best is that they play church bells on Sunday Morning. Some of my best memories are sitting in the deer woods as a kid 6 miles away listening to the Church Bells ring.

Re: Does your town blow the siren at noon? - 01/26/24 04:18 AM

Originally Posted by 52Carl
Little town I grew up in had a siren go off at noon every day. Everyone called it The Noon Whistle.
It was a warning for tornadoes. I guess we all would have got blown away if one came through at noon...

not sure about yours our noon whistle was like 1 rotation maybe 15-20 seconds

tornadoes it blares for 5+ minutes

about a minute in I bet you would figure it out
Posted By: Scott__aR

Re: Does your town blow the siren at noon? - 01/26/24 04:49 AM

One a week (Wednesdays) at noon, to test the system's operational status.

Just my opinion, but sounding it daily only leads to its' ineffectiveness, as people get conditioned to ignoring it.
Posted By: Badger23

Re: Does your town blow the siren at noon? - 01/26/24 05:00 AM

It's at noon here for most of the towns here.
Posted By: danvee

Re: Does your town blow the siren at noon? - 01/26/24 05:10 AM

they test them in town but not on a regular basis. I live far enough I dont hear any city noise.
Posted By: ~ADC~

Re: Does your town blow the siren at noon? - 01/26/24 07:01 AM

Everyday at noon. My dog and few others around town like to howl along. lol
Posted By: Vinke

Re: Does your town blow the siren at noon? - 01/26/24 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by AntiGov
Never heard of that before ....why would they do that ?

Nap time
Posted By: Turtledale

Re: Does your town blow the siren at noon? - 01/26/24 09:16 AM

At noon my whole life. Just thought everyone did it.
Originally Posted by Scott__aR
One a week (Wednesdays) at noon, to test the system's operational status.

Just my opinion, but sounding it daily only leads to its' ineffectiveness, as people get conditioned to ignoring it.

Nope, tells us farmers it's lunch time. All different calls have different sounds/durations. You can tell what kind of call it is rescue, fire, etc.... by the alarm if you know the code.
There's no getting condition to ignoring it. Just the opposite, if it's not the noon whistle (which sounds different) everyone wants to know what is going on.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Does your town blow the siren at noon? - 01/26/24 09:44 AM

That's Great
Posted By: hippie

Re: Does your town blow the siren at noon? - 01/26/24 10:31 AM

Yep, at noon.

A church across the road plays bells on Sunday and I had a Beagle That could really sing a tune when they did. The wimmen would come out of the church to watch him, lol.
Posted By: Cooncreek II

Re: Does your town blow the siren at noon? - 01/26/24 10:41 AM

First Saturday of every month at noon.
Posted By: jabNE

Re: Does your town blow the siren at noon? - 01/26/24 10:52 AM

Mine did when I was growing up.
Jim

Re: Does your town blow the siren at noon? - 01/26/24 11:38 AM

I've heard that dogs howl as it hurts their ears
Posted By: bandy

Re: Does your town blow the siren at noon? - 01/26/24 11:43 AM

The town to my west has a noon siren and the the town to my east don't.
Posted By: mississippiposse

Re: Does your town blow the siren at noon? - 01/26/24 11:55 AM

Gary it goes off at 10am
Posted By: Trapset

Re: Does your town blow the siren at noon? - 01/26/24 12:02 PM

7am, 12noon, 1pm, 6pm is our towns siren schedule.

Or, wake up whistle, 1st beer whistle, 2nd beer whistle, wife whistle, (pick up all the empty’s, she’ll be home soon.)
Posted By: Lugnut

Re: Does your town blow the siren at noon? - 01/26/24 12:08 PM

A lot of the small towns I work in around here ring the church bells at noon.

It lets me know it's time to take a lunch break.
Posted By: bearcat2

Re: Does your town blow the siren at noon? - 01/26/24 12:13 PM

Yep, at noon. They quit doing it 15-20 years ago for about a year, but then they started doing it again. I live out of town but you can hear that whistle for miles and miles. If I'm outside it lets me know what time it is.
Posted By: EdP

Re: Does your town blow the siren at noon? - 01/26/24 12:31 PM

Not just a rural thing. I grew up in the burbs in southern New England. The fire house was about a mile down our road and the whistle went off at 6 pm every evening in addition to whenever they were heading out on a call. If it wasn't 6 pm you knew there was a fire somewhere and it warned everyone to watch out for the trucks tearing out of the firehouse and going down the road. I left that part of the country behind as fast as I could almost 50 yrs ago so have no idea if it is still done.

We checked our clocks against the whistle time and reset to match if needed. Here in rural southwest Va I never hear alarms unless there is a fire so I assume it isn't done.
Posted By: Jingles

Re: Does your town blow the siren at noon? - 01/26/24 01:15 PM

Not a siren but one of the businesses does have a large church like bell that get rung everyday at noon
Posted By: Monster Toms

Re: Does your town blow the siren at noon? - 01/26/24 01:21 PM

Fire station siren goes off at noon everyday, lady that owns the RV park in town plays taps every night at 8pm!
Posted By: gcs

Re: Does your town blow the siren at noon? - 01/26/24 01:22 PM

Every fire dept here does it at noon...ish..lol
You'll hear the first one at 11:59, the next at noon, another one at 12:01 or 2, I can't hear the other stations but I'm sure their clocks are all off too... grin

Re: Does your town blow the siren at noon? - 01/26/24 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by Monster Toms
Fire station siren goes off at noon everyday, lady that owns the RV park in town plays taps every night at 8pm!

I like it!
Posted By: Okie Farmer

Re: Does your town blow the siren at noon? - 01/26/24 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by gcs
Every fire dept here does it at noon...ish..lol
You'll hear the first one at 11:59, the next at noon, another one at 12:01 or 2, I can't hear the other stations but I'm sure their clocks are all off too... grin

That's better then here, they run about ten minutes apart. Had a lady stop one day and ask if it was a tornado siren.

Re: Does your town blow the siren at noon? - 01/26/24 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by Lugnut
A lot of the small towns I work in around here ring the church bells at noon.

It lets me know it's time to take a lunch break.

we have a church with an automatic bell it plays bells to tell you the hour

the fog horn at the lakefront used to play a honk for every hour I haven't been there in a while to hear it
Posted By: Trapper7

Re: Does your town blow the siren at noon? - 01/26/24 02:40 PM

Around here they blow a siren the first Wednesday of each month around noon. Then they announce this is only a test.
Years ago, they used to blow a curfew siren at 9:00 every night. I don't think they do that anymore.
Posted By: Muskrat

Re: Does your town blow the siren at noon? - 01/26/24 02:40 PM

Goes off at 12:01 here every day. If you're working outside or in the garage you can just keep cranking til you hear the siren then it's time for lunch.
Posted By: ILcooner

Re: Does your town blow the siren at noon? - 01/26/24 02:46 PM

why??
Posted By: Muskrat

Re: Does your town blow the siren at noon? - 01/26/24 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by ILcooner
why??

When you grow up in a small town that does this you normally don't ask why. Rule applies stronger if you move into a small town that does.
Posted By: Spike369

Re: Does your town blow the siren at noon? - 01/26/24 03:28 PM

I won't live in a town. I tried it twice. Didn't work out!
Posted By: Guss

Re: Does your town blow the siren at noon? - 01/26/24 03:33 PM

When I was growing up they did.
Posted By: warrior

Re: Does your town blow the siren at noon? - 01/26/24 03:34 PM

Only place I ever lived that did was Groveland, Florida 73-76.

Here it's the first Wednesday of the month test of the tornado siren. Which leads to the monthly "what was that" questions on local social media pages.
Posted By: Turtledale

Re: Does your town blow the siren at noon? - 01/26/24 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by Spike369
I won't live in a town. I tried it twice. Didn't work out!

A Town here is big part of a county, people can live miles apart. A part of a town where people live next to each other is a village usually has one street light.
I can't live in a village next to people, I need room to breath.
Posted By: charles

Re: Does your town blow the siren at noon? - 01/26/24 04:27 PM

Grew up in a small town. We called the noon siren the dinner whistle. Hot bread came from the oven as the siren blew.
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: Does your town blow the siren at noon? - 01/26/24 04:57 PM

Tornado siren here sounds at noon and 6. Its a test more than anything. Warning system is much improved. used to blow if there was anything within 50 miles or so. If it goes off now smart people take cover. When its a storm warning it keeps going till its safe to come out.
Posted By: jalstat

Re: Does your town blow the siren at noon? - 01/26/24 05:00 PM

Don’t live in town but a town 9 miles away blows it at 5 pm everyday
Posted By: Pawnee

Re: Does your town blow the siren at noon? - 01/26/24 07:08 PM

Our town stopped doing it 15 years ago. Used to blow at 12 and 6. Now it just goes off for the fire department and ambulance runs. I miss hearing it. When I was a kid we relied on it for lunch time and when to head back to headquarters for evening chores. Everyone has a clock on their phones now so not much need for it.
Posted By: Lugnut

Re: Does your town blow the siren at noon? - 01/26/24 08:13 PM

I grew up 5-6 miles from a County Prison.

Back then you had to wait until 9:00 AM on the opening day of small game season to start hunting. The prison would sound it's escape siren to let all the hunters in the area know it was legal hunting time.

If that siren went off any other time of year kids ran home, parents locked the doors and armed themselves.
Posted By: Grandpa Trapper

Re: Does your town blow the siren at noon? - 01/26/24 10:28 PM

No sirens but the Catholic Church down the street in the town I grew up in rang its bells at 12 noon and 6PM everyday. I miss it
Posted By: 2bit

Re: Does your town blow the siren at noon? - 01/28/24 06:24 AM

Any town in a tidal wave hazard zone will have a siren. Little town I was in for a couple years would sound it at noon every day.
Posted By: eric space

Re: Does your town blow the siren at noon? - 01/28/24 04:10 PM

My village, Beemerville, always blew the siren at noon. Also blew it at 7AM on snowy days if school was cancelled. All us kids prayed to hear that 7AM whistle!! About 40 years ago city people started to move in here. They complained to the town council about the "noise" and the siren stopped being blown for noon and school closings. Now they have stopped it even for fires claiming that all volunteer firefighters will get a notice on their phone. I am one of the Beemerville firemen and I rarely have a phone on me. I mentioned this at a monthly fire department meeting a few years ago and was told to carry my phone (this by the city guys that moved in and now have apparently taken over the fire department). After 50+ years as a Beemerville fireman I resigned. Things around here sure are not what they were like when I grew up.
Posted By: Bob_Iowa

Re: Does your town blow the siren at noon? - 01/28/24 04:14 PM

It usually is at noon unless the the clock got changed some how and no one reset it then it goes off whenever.
Posted By: Marty B

Re: Does your town blow the siren at noon? - 01/28/24 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by Chancey
Yes but only at noon.

The best is that they play church bells on Sunday Morning. Some of my best memories are sitting in the deer woods as a kid 6 miles away listening to the Church Bells ring.

Noon siren......swimming pool opens at 1:00...purple feet from stopping at the mulberry tree on the way home from the pool....great memories.
Posted By: white17

Re: Does your town blow the siren at noon? - 01/28/24 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by ~ADC~

Everyday at noon. My dog and few others around town like to howl along. lol

Exactly why they stopped doing it here. There were about 400 people and over a thousand dogs. Once they started howling it took hours for them to shut up !
© 2024 Trapperman Forums